Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    Jump "scares" don't merit being counted as scary to me. I can do that to you by hiding in your closet. Real horror is looming, it's psychological, it's revelatory. THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE EXORCIST, ROSEMARY'S BABY, HALLOWEEN, THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, CARNIVAL OF SOULS...those are all horrifying. Yes, CARRIE (a wonderful movie) and a few others that I mentioned contain some of those surprise frights, but that is certainly not the foundation of terror in those films.

True, but as jump scares, 'The Descent' did it brilliantly.

Yes, as you have mentioned with those films, many of the scares come from within your own fears, while watching them.
    I also find some films involving black magic, satan etc can be scary.

I always find as example the film 'The Devil Rides Out' to be a chilling film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Another absolutely chilling movie that plays on the thoughts of what is happening (or what will happen) without resorting to jump scares every other minute is 'The House of the Devil.' Highly recommended.
    'Halloween' ages like wine. That kind of horror fails to be replicated these days, sadly.

I saw the awful remake, never the original, but I've heard the same thing said about the '72 version: it feels raw and cheap enough to feel like you're watching the real thing. Does the original vary much from the remake, or is it the same format in that the former half is dedicated to you know what and the latter half is totally revenge driven?
    Yes, the age at which you see a film is a huge factor in it's ability to terrorize. HALLOWEEN (1978) is so earthy.

I hope that you have seen THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972), which was actually a remake of Bergman's THE VIRGIN SPRING (1960). I found Wes Craven's later, more commercially viable work (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984) and SCREAM (1996)) to be fun films, but in a cartoony, goofy kind of way. LHOTL was genuinely disturbing, horrific and unsettling. It was so cheap and raw, yet so well done, that it almost came off as an actual homemade snuff film.

I had never seen or heard of the film 'The Last House On The Left' (1972), until i saw it recently online, and i thought it was very good. The modern remake of this film i saw too, was pretty good as well.

I haven't seen the remake, so I can't compare, but that sounds right.

It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. It was pretty dark and had a great cast, but the trailers gave away the entire thing.
    'Halloween' (1978) was just brilliant.

It was after this film, that the horror slasher market exploded with many variations on the genre.
    In the UK in the 1980's it was the in thing to go to to your local video shop and rent out the latest nastiest, scariest film.
    I hated the Halloween remake so much. It's terrible. Halloween (1978) has been one of my favorite horror films for a long time. The Shining (1980) is my #1 though
    @FoxRox, it delivers in gory, gruesome violence, and that's it (the remake, I mean.) Everything else about it was horrible.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I remember the similar bear scene in The Edge being really good, and I think that was done the old school way. However, I didn't notice the CGI in The Revenant bear scene at all. I knew it must be CGI, but it was very well done imho.
    You might be interested to know that another version of this story was released in 1971 with Richard Harris called Man in the Wilderness, also starring John Huston. The character Harris portrays was, in reality, Hugh Glass although for reasons that are unclear, the name "Sam Bass" is used in this movie. Other than that, it's pretty much the same movie.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll try and check that out at some point. I've always been a fan of Harris & Huston.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As a lifelong horror fan, there aren't that many horror films that have creeped me out. Two films that did, which immediately come to mind, are The Omen (1976) and Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979). That said, there are plenty of horror films that don't creep me out, but I still count amongst my favourite horror films. Films like:

American Mary
    Outpost (2008)
    Wishmaster
    Lisa & The Devil
    Revenge Of Frankenstien
    The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
    Dracula (1931)
    Friday The 13th Pt VII: The New Blood
    The House Of The Devil
    The Innkeepers
    May (2002)
    The Beyond (1981)
    Delirium: Photo Of Gioia (1987)

And while Halloween was an inspiration to Friday The 13th, the slasher craze didn't explode until after Friday The 13th. Though it could be said that there were slasher films before Halloween. The Texas Chasinsaw Massacre could be classed as a slasher, as could some of Mario Bava's output.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    As a lifelong horror fan, there aren't that many horror films that have creeped me out. Two films that did, which immediately come to mind, are The Omen (1976) and Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979). That said, there are plenty of horror films that don't creep me out, but I still count amongst my favourite horror films.

Yes, i forgot. 'The Omen' was really creepy, and had some really gross death scenes.

I used to live near that Cathedral in Guildford, England where Damian freaked out when he was been driven up the driveway to said Cathedral.

Strange this as i used to hear the Omen theme whenever i drove past this Cathedral as well. :-O
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mepal1 wrote: »
    As a lifelong horror fan, there aren't that many horror films that have creeped me out. Two films that did, which immediately come to mind, are The Omen (1976) and Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979). That said, there are plenty of horror films that don't creep me out, but I still count amongst my favourite horror films.

Yes, i forgot. 'The Omen' was really creepy, and had some really gross death scenes.

I used to live near that Cathedral in Guildford, England where Damian freaked out when he was been driven up the driveway to said Cathedral.

Strange this as i used to hear the Omen theme whenever i drove past this Cathedral as well. :-O

What, the music was comming from the Cathedral? Maybe they were fans of Goldsmith's score... or there was something sinister going on.
    mepal1 wrote: »

What, the music was comming from the Cathedral? Maybe they were fans of Goldsmith's score... or there was something sinister going on.

Maybe i'am the devil. Must check to see if there are any numbers on my scalp!

:D
    'The Intern'

It was alright. A bit paint-by-numbers, drags at times, and seems to mix up whatever message it's attempting to create in the end, which comes across rather awkwardly. Overall, better than I thought, but it's still mediocre.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    'Batman' (1989)
    Still one of my favorite Batman movies but It would have been much better if they removed Knox and Vikki Vale from the story. Keaton and Nicholson are the highlights for sure.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

American Mary
    Outpost (2008)
    Wishmaster
    Lisa & The Devil
    Revenge Of Frankenstien
    The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
    Dracula (1931)
    Friday The 13th Pt VII: The New Blood
    The House Of The Devil
    The Innkeepers
    May (2002)
    The Beyond (1981)
    Delirium: Photo Of Gioia (1987)

Nice list. You left out Legend Of Hell House though.....
    One of the creepiest old horror movies i've seen is The Haunting (1963).
    And of the best new ones i've seen is The Babadook
    Murdock wrote: »
    'Batman' (1989)
    Still one of my favorite Batman movies but It would have been much better if they removed Knox and Vikki Vale from the story. Keaton and Nicholson are the highlights for sure.

One of my personal favorite films. I still think Keaton is the best live-action Batman/Bruce Wayne. And Nicholson's Joker is definitely a delight.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    'Batman' (1989)

One of my personal favorite films. I still think Keaton is the best live-action Batman/Bruce Wayne. And Nicholson's Joker is definitely a delight.
    It's in my top 5 superhero films of all time along with Superman: The movie, Iron Man, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and X-Men.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Another absolutely chilling movie that plays on the thoughts of what is happening (or what will happen) without resorting to jump scares every other minute is 'The House of the Devil.' Highly recommended.

Try also The Legend of Hell House (1973) excellent.
    The Revenant and Spotlight both opened here yesterday, so...

The Revenant
    Very cinematic and beautiful. Great score (I already got the cd before seeing the movie). Gorgeous cinematography (obviously). Definitely a movie that should be seen in theatre rather than at home. A very good cast all around. I don't like the tedious Oscar narrative with DiCaprio - it's sort of ridiculous that the guy was considered practically a sure winner before anyone had even seen the movie, as if the actual performance is entirely secondary. Not that I'll have any problem with him winning this year, though - there's nobody in the category I'd rather see win, and I like him anyway, and he was good - but the narrative is ngh. I was pleased to see Hardy recognized, and he was excellent.

Spotlight
    This one could be seen at home on tv just as well, but it is worth seeing. An interesting story, well told, an excellent ensemble (though I must say I don't get why Ruffalo was nominated for this - I like him, but not particularly in this movie, and several in the male cast were better IMO). Kept my interest all the way (not so with my friend, a pity), and I actually got shivers at that list at the end before the credits - I mean... daaaaamn...
    Dirty Harry - brilliant movie and Clint Eastwood is simply brilliant.

Blackhat
    - what a beautifull shot movie and now I know how much they missed shooting amazing China with SF. This movie is actually quite smart and well worth your while.
    I was a bit into Marked For Death and had to switch it off for now because NSFFV*..... :-O

*Not Safe For Family Viewing
    I'm in the middle of BRIDGE OF SPIES. It's mostly (I repeat mostly) keeping the usual Speilberg sappiness and heavy handed mess in check that torpedoed so many of his films for me. I'm liking it so far, though so many coming twists are telegraphed (I realized within minutes that his daughter is involved with his law clerk, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. And these CIA pilots: pretty clear where that's going). Anyway, decent film at this point. How come Thomas Newman works better here than with EON.

That was one of my favorite films of 2015. It'd probably even sneak into my Top 15 Spielberg films overall; I enjoyed it a lot and plan on buying it.

The Spielberg films I'd heartily recommend are CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
    A beautiful, well acted & mesmerizing movie, but upon examination it really is like a kid's Super 8 film that while ambitious, makes no real sense.
    I saw it many time theatrically though.
    :D
    Finished Marked For Death (no family around) & DAMN what a brutal film! Excellent.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,980
    Yes, Seagal went through a period in the early 90's where he made some very entertaining films. with Marked For Death being one of his best.
  • Hmm Marked for Death is one of his only early 90's 'in-his-prime' movies I haven't seen. Sounds like I better hop on that asap!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @SaintMark

I'm so glad you like BlackHat. I think it's a beautifully shot movie. Isn't this where Mann always excels?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @SaintMark

I'm so glad you like BlackHat. I think it's a beautifully shot movie. Isn't this where Mann always excels?

It is very well shot and I actually liked the story too, not afraid to ask a wee bit more mental exercise that the average movie gives us these days.