James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 260
    JET007 wrote: »
    What in particular do they break?

We covered some of this in the IMAX thread but when I say they break the baseline, I mean they use a too wide and tall subtended image angle, and the surround configuration sucks for anyone but a handful in the prime seats (despite claims to the contrary).
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Argh, that annoys the ***k out of me when films are not projected correctly. It is a lost art...
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,005
    The James Bond films are available in 4K.

I think exclusively on iTunes.

But what I find most interesting is that if you have purchased the films on iTunes in the past, you automatically get the upgrade to 4K for free.

Actually I'm surprised that this news is nowhere to be found on this forum.
    Or am I just looking in the wrong threads?

Going to watch one of the films in 4K later today, as we own the entire collection on iTunes.

Edit: found it:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/james-bond-in-4k-now-available-on-apple-itunes-171222
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    @Andi1996Ruegg, let us know your impression of the quality. Especially, if possible, to br :-).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I have most on blu ray... 4k is overkill unless you have a wall sized screen.
    chrisisall wrote: »

is 108" enough :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm not looking to be a 4K convert because I'm like @chrisisall. Blu-ray is beyond satisfying to me already, and I don't really feel the need to shell out for a technology that still hasn't even stepped into its own yet, mass market wise. Just like with VR in gaming right now, 4K still feels more niche to me than anything else, kind of like how Blu-ray likely had a nascent period before it took over standard DVDs in the market.

But I'm truly shocked that you can get 4K free on iTunes if you made a past purchase of a Bond film on there. Just goes to show how cynical the world has made me that I'm genuinely surprised when a company or service doesn't try to screw you out of more money for something you already paid for. You win this round, Apple.
    chrisisall wrote: »

is 108" enough :)

You might see a difference then, yes. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The films already stream in 4K on Hulu, and will probably be available in the physical format by the time B25 releases.
    4K is not something evil ;)

The information has been there since they filmed the movies as EoN used high end equipment from the get-go.

Lowry Digital has restored and remastered all the films in 4K, there's a 12 minute documentation on it that you'll find on the Dr. No DVD/Blu-ray special features. I recently saw it actually, as I'm watching all the special features of the films.

I'm just amazed how incredibly good the Bonds already looked on the MacBookPro where I saw them first. Let alone on the 108" HD screen where I watch them now through a HD beamer.

Personally I'm looking forward to see a 4K movie. I haven't ever seen one before.
    But I agree with @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 we don't have to convert to 4K lovers.

I've seen the full HD iTunes versions on the MacBook and I'm watching the Blu-rays on the big screen these days and it's a visual world of wonders for me.

I got The Sound of Music on Blu-ray on Christmas, my favorite film of all time, and I know I will cry the whole film through when seeing (and hearing) it in HD-DTS picture and sound.

My TV is 27 inches, my portable blu ray player is 10 inches... 4k won't add anything for ME, LOL!
    ha ha...probably not @chrisisall

On a 108" HD screen you can quite see every little detail of that nice little nothing Tiffany is almost wearing. I approve!
    HARD to resist...
    4K won't do anything without a 4K player/4K TV or monitor, anyway. It's like trying to watch a blu-ray on a DVD player.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    4K won't do anything without a 4K player/4K TV or monitor, anyway. It's like trying to watch a blu-ray on a DVD player.

There IS that too. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 10,588
    4K Blu-rays won't work on a regular BD player? I recently pre-ordered BR2049 on 4K. I believe my TV has the neccesary qualifications.
    jake24 wrote: »
    4K Blu-rays won't work on a regular BD player? I recently pre-ordered BR2049 on 4K. I believe my TV has the neccesary qualifications.

They won't. Is your TV a 4K TV? If not, it doesn't meet the qualifications - even if it does, you can't play a 4K movie in anything other than a 4K player (Xbox One S/X also works as a 4K player, albeit not a good one).
    Yes it need the TV set that is 4K enabled. It needs a 4K Blu-ray player if you buy physical 4K discs.
    For streaming you don't need any player. A 4K TV set is enough.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

They won't. Is your TV a 4K TV? If not, it doesn't meet the qualifications - even if it does, you can't play a 4K movie in anything other than a 4K player (Xbox One S/X also works as a 4K player, albeit not a good one).
    Ugh, ok. I believe my TV is 4K. So, say my TV is only 1080p. Would I still be able to stream a 4K film, but have the quality decrease to 1080?
    All you'll get is the film shown in 1080p, then. 4K players/TV's will upscale blu-rays (and do a damn good job of it), but you're stuck with what you got if you're only running an HDTV/blu-ray player.

Doesn't hurt to go ahead and purchase 4K's in the meantime if you know you'll make the upgrade with the right equipment eventually, because all (from what I've seen and purchased thus far) 4K's come with that version and a blu-ray version.

As for streaming, I believe if you wish to stream in 4K in iTunes then you would need an Apple 4K TV (or a like-minded 4K player that is compatible with iTunes), and with Hulu, you'd need a Smart 4K player that can run the app. Vudu upgrades all digital purchases into 4K if available (most of the time - if not, regular 4K/UHD versions are always available), and Netflix lets you stream nearly all of their original content in 4K, provided you've got the 4K plan on your account.

That should cover most bases. The format really does beg for the best player and the nicest TV you can purchase, but I'm a cheap ass and got away with a 55" 4K Vizio for around $500, and a really nice Samsung 4K player for about $200, and the quality jump is astounding.
    @Creasy47

you are correct Sir. Just back from town....and got this.

full.jpg
    Nope. I'm done with the upgrade thing. Blu ray is my endgame. Saving money as well. Just call me a techist, lazonogist dinosaur...
    All you'll get is the film shown in 1080p, then. 4K players/TV's will upscale blu-rays (and do a damn good job of it), but you're stuck with what you got if you're only running an HDTV/blu-ray player.

Doesn't hurt to go ahead and purchase 4K's in the meantime if you know you'll make the upgrade with the right equipment eventually, because all (from what I've seen and purchased thus far) 4K's come with that version and a blu-ray version.

As for streaming, I believe if you wish to stream in 4K in iTunes then you would need an Apple 4K TV (or a like-minded 4K player that is compatible with iTunes), and with Hulu, you'd need a Smart 4K player that can run the app. Vudu upgrades all digital purchases into 4K if available (most of the time - if not, regular 4K/UHD versions are always available), and Netflix lets you stream nearly all of their original content in 4K, provided you've got the 4K plan on your account.

That should cover most bases. The format really does beg for the best player and the nicest TV you can purchase, but I'm a cheap ass and got away with a 55" 4K Vizio for around $500, and a really nice Samsung 4K player for about $200, and the quality jump is astounding.
    Got it, thanks.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,000
    All this talk about 4K, and I just got around to upgrading from DVD. Just a few days ago I ordered the Ultimate James Bond Collection on sale for $99. Comes with a little DB10 too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @BMW_with_missiles
    You'll love it, sir. I have just a few months ago upgraded to BluRay myself and the difference is huge! Well done job. Also, if you're a Star Wars fan, the Star Wars BluRays are pitch perfect!
    All this talk about 4K, and I just got around to upgrading from DVD. Just a few days ago I ordered the Ultimate James Bond Collection on sale for $99. Comes with a little DB10 too.

Wait until you see Die Another Day on Blu-ray! Just watched it and it's spectacularly beautiful!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wonder when are we getting optical disc releases for the 4Ks.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Never.

If they don't capitalize on it in 2018, they'll most certainly be sold and marketed heavily in the months before B25, much like they did with the bluray releases alongside SF for the first time.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @BMW_with_missiles
    You'll love it, sir. I have just a few months ago upgraded to BluRay myself and the difference is huge! Well done job. Also, if you're a Star Wars fan, the Star Wars BluRays are pitch perfect!

@DarthDimi I have to catch up on the Star Wars franchise, as I've only seen the prequels, but I'll keep the BluRays in mind for the future.

Wait until you see Die Another Day on Blu-ray! Just watched it and it's spectacularly beautiful!

Looking forward to it! I've had an itch to watch DAD since I got the soundtrack.