The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    I personally loved the 12 parsec gag.

Me, it was the trash compactor reference that made me chuckle.

One thing i didn't think much of, was the destruction of the Death Star, i thought it was very poor compared to how it had been done before in the original films. In Star Wars, there was quite a bit of tension in the action when the X-wing fighters were trying to line up there weapons when they were flying through that trench on the Death Star, while at the same time being fired on by the Death Star's laser cannons, and also from being fired on from behind by pursuing TIE fighters.
    In fact, i can't actually remember the equivalent scene in SWTFA that well, as it was so mediocre by comparison.
  • The original movies didn't have Poe! I knew he'd take care of that pesky Death Star III, no problem. :D

Honestly though, I was so anxious about Han that I wasn't as emotionally engaged with the space battle. I'm sure on future viewings I'll soak it all in and see what a spectacle it is!
    Regarding 'Poe'. Somehow i missed it, but what was his explanation to 'Finn' on how he managed to survive the crash on the planet?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2016 Posts: 45,489
    He was swallowed by a pilothole.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    One thing i didn't think much of, was the destruction of the Death Star, i thought it was very poor compared to how it had been done before in the original films. In Star Wars, there was quite a bit of tension in the action when the X-wing fighters were trying to line up there weapons when they were flying through that trench on the Death Star, while at the same time being fired on by the Death Star's laser cannons, and also from being fired on from behind by pursuing TIE fighters.
    In fact, i can't actually remember the equivalent scene in SWTFA that well, as it was so mediocre by comparison.

It was, BUT the destruction of the Death Star in the first film is one of THE most iconic moments not only in Star Wars but in modern cinema history. Lightning was unlikely to strike twice.
    He was swallowed by a pilothole.

Out of all the members here who could of given me a satisfactory answer, i ended up with @Thunderfinger replying, with one of his or hers smart ass comments. ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Just found a review which says just about what I thought of it, but more eloquently than I could!
    http://www.vox.com/2015/12/26/10664834/star-force-awakens-derivative

He has a point about the nostalgic elements taking you out of the film too many times. I found the same thing. My friend described it as fan fiction. Too self conscious of its own history.
    Interesting point of view. I love the film so much precisely because I don´t find it self-conscious. All the recycled elements fall neatly into place and gel wonderfully with the storytelling, resulting in a tremendously fresh feeling. Nothing seemed shoehorned in to me.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Just found a review which says just about what I thought of it, but more eloquently than I could!

He has a point about the nostalgic elements taking you out of the film too many times. I found the same thing. My friend described it as fan fiction. Too self conscious of its own history.
    Interesting point of view. I love the film so much precisely because I don´t find it self-conscious. All the recycled elements fall neatly into place and gel wonderfully with the storytelling, resulting in a tremendously fresh feeling. Nothing seemed shoehorned in to me.
    Same here.
    \m/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Same here.
    \m/

I'm going to have to agree as well. It's also why I loved Spectre. :D
    Murdock wrote: »

Same here.
    \m/

That too!! ^:)^

Same here.
    \m/

Here is where our paths divide.

Same here.
    \m/

Ships that pass in the night & all that, eh?
    Another thing that bothered me in this latest film, is the name of the character 'Han Solo', well actually how it is now pronounced. In the original films the characters name was pronounced as it is written i.e Han, but for some reason in the new film, its pronounced 'Harn', its strange, but true. Anyone else notice this?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Same here.
    \m/

Like it you must, Mmmm yes yes but now, we must eat!
    27ea5_yoda-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back.jpg
    One other thing that bothered me a bit was the blatant Nazi-symbolism. In the OT it wasn't too overplayed. Here, it feels thrust into your face.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    One other thing that bothered me a bit was the blatant Nazi-symbolism. In the OT it wasn't too overplayed. Here, it feels thrust into your face.
    Which fits perfectly to a bunch of just-not-anymore-teenagers playing generals.

I like how both the First Order and Kylo Ren seem so not-yet-quite-professional, like teenagers in the middle of their education. However that jars a bit with them being able to build a battle station a thousand tims bigger than the Death Star.

However that jars a bit with them being able to build a battle station a thousand tims bigger than the Death Star.

It's a Death Star on the cheap. A planet with alterations.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, the planet blower-upper gun installation probably only cost a little over what the Death Star cost.
    Which fits perfectly to a bunch of just-not-anymore-teenagers playing generals.

I like how both the First Order and Kylo Ren seem so not-yet-quite-professional, like teenagers in the middle of their education. However that jars a bit with them being able to build a battle station a thousand tims bigger than the Death Star.

My big issue with the movie is the Death Star on steroids. otherwise I really enjoyed it, SW cliches and all. Oh and we saw too little of Poe. An original character who fits so perfectly with the Star Wars universe. Far more than any of the characters from the prequels.
  • OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    I watched SW and felt that it was very satisfying. Great film with a greater score by the legendary John Williams. However, I have 3 main issues with the new SW film.

First being that it borrowed too many elements from the OT (Original Trilogy) that it would be quite hard to appreciate this film as an original (sort of =/) addition to the SW trilogy. I see parallels everywhere, from the characters involved to how the plot unfolds to even the main plot points. There is a fine line between mirroring and ripping off, but I couldnt help but believe that JJ had started with the OT plotline and slowly built onto it to make it what it is now. Too many parallels.

Second would be that it seems to be written in a way that sets up another film, instead of focusing the main threads, like Age of Ultron in the MCU. A big chunk of the movie's start was devoted to establishing the characters, which is entirely acceptable (commendable even), if not for the fact that the same amount of time was used later to rush through the climax and resolution of the film. I do recognise that there is a main plot of the plan to destroy StarKiller base, but the plan was introduced (imo) too late into the film and the execution of the mission to the destruction was too rushed, relative to the time for the film to introduce the characters. Furthermore, there were quite a lot of subplots and most of them were left unresolved at the end. From Rey's parentage to Snoke to Kylo Ren to Luke to Hux...it felt mostly as a set-up for another film. A minor issue really but nitpicking is what I do =P

Third: Too little lightsaber battles. Actually, there's only one. And its anticlimatic too imo. Too much suspense and the action itself (the duelling) came across as slow relative to the prequels. (or maybe its just me, I'm not sure).

In conclusion SW Episode 7 is a great film. Loved it but the above are just a few issues that I feel could have made it a better film. =)
  • RC7RC7
    OmegaX wrote: »
    A big chunk of the movie's start was devoted to establishing the characters, which is entirely acceptable (commendable even), if not for the fact that the same amount of time was used later to rush through the climax and resolution of the film. I do recognise that there is a main plot of the plan to destroy StarKiller base, but the plan was introduced (imo) too late into the film and the execution of the mission to the destruction was too rushed, relative to the time for the film to introduce the characters. Furthermore, there were quite a lot of subplots and most of them were left unresolved at the end. From Rey's parentage to Snoke to Kylo Ren to Luke to Hux...it felt mostly as a set-up for another film. A minor issue really but nitpicking is what I do =P

My main gripe would be that the bulk of the new characters are in no way as rounded as those in, for example, Star Wars (ANH for those under 25). There's nothing particularly at stake for any of the characters, neither is there any definable motivation. It's all a bit linear. Finn as a character is pretty flaccid, there's no real weight behind his reasons for fleeing the first order, other than some sort of vague moral obligation, and his stimulus to tag along appears to be Rey. That's all well and good, but we've see that done better with the classic scoundrel in Han.

Even from the end of the very first movie, if you asked a viewer to describe what Han would do in a given situation they'd be able to tell you. The same goes for Luke, Obi-Wan and Leia. They were fully formed, not the finished article (far from it) but they were a character, not just a conduit for exposition. With Finn it's far more opaque (non-existent imo), similarly with Rey and also Poe to a lesser extent. It's masked well by Abrams ability to pull off pure entertainment and pantomime (I mean that in a good way), but I hope these characters are more developed in EP VIII because they need to be elevated, particularly now there is a gargantuan hole following the death of Han.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,314
    I think that 40 years of viewing Sw has clouded people's judgement as to how much backstory the first film gives away.

We know very little if anything about Darth Vader. Hazy back story glossed over in two lines.

Nothing about moff tarkin

We know as much about Han as Finn, arguably less. Come on we know Finn was taken by the first order as a child, trained, had a crisis of conscience, escaped etc. what do we know about Han Solos back story at the end of Jedi? Nothing. But that adds to his mystique.

If argue you would know what rey, Poe and Finn would do in a situation.

@RC7 You've probably seen this but this is a great argument as to why the phantom menace character suck....

I also think if they tKe episode 8 in brand new directions which is what they should do , then TFA can be viewed more as a reset after the woeful prequels
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think that 40 years of viewing Sw has clouded people's judgement as to how much backstory the first film gives away.

We know very little if anything about Darth Vader. Hazy back story glossed over in two lines.

Nothing about moff tarkin

We know as much about Han as Finn, arguably less. Come on we know Finn was taken by the first order as a child, trained, had a crisis of conscience, escaped etc. what do we know about Han Solos back story at the end of Jedi? Nothing. But that adds to his mystique.

If argue you would know what rey, Poe and Finn would do in a situation.

@RC7 You've probably seen this but this is a great argument as to why the phantom menace character suck....

I'm not talking about backstory, backstory isn't character. Character is qualities, attributes, behavioural patterns etc. Han is a scoundrel, a mercenary, he's in it for himself first and foremost. His charm gets him everywhere. He operates on a wing and prayer. He trusts very few people, but those he does are treated with loyalty. I could go on for quite a while. What I'm saying is, faced with a situation most of us could take a stab at what Han would. The same way we could Bond. All this is shown to us in Star Wars (ANH). I don't know what sort of a character Finn is really. I couldn't describe him to you, bar a few vague adjectives.

Edit: I have seen that video, yes. Honestly, Finn and Rey are about as well drawn as some of the characters in EP1, hence why I think they need to flesh them out in VIII. When the Droid is more three dimensional than some of the leads you know you've got a problem.
    There seems to be very little problems with TFA as it is now chasing Avatars BO. I am amused by the attack on TFA while SF & SP have far worse problems in the script department and also SP with the return of SPECTRE does fail to be very original too. But yet TFA does something that draws the punters to the cinema, perhaps the difference is the heart that the movie seems to have,
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »
    There seems to be very little problems with TFA as it is now chasing Avatars BO. I am amused by the attack on TFA while SF & SP have far worse problems in the script department and also SP with the return of SPECTRE does fail to be very original too. But yet TFA does something that draws the punters to the cinema, perhaps the difference is the heart that the movie seems to have,

I've not seen any attacks on TFA only positive reviews. Whose been slamming it?
    RC7 wrote: »

You have been less than complimentary, albeit in positive feedback style. Wish you were as critical about SP.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

You have been less than complimentary, albeit in positive feedback style. Wish you were as critical about SP.

My only problem is this lack of characterisation and it's patently obvious. While Han's death was necessary, dramatically, it's going to leave quite a void. He's the best thing in TFA. It may be a case of Hamill to the rescue. I genuinely think they'd have been better going their original draft with Leia copping it. A vengeful Solo would have been quite awesome to see in EP VIII. Which reminds me, they got over his death pretty quickly.

I have been critical of elements of SP. Characterisation isn't one. I pretty much get the motivations of everyone involved.
    As much as I like TFA, I actually had a better time in SP because A FAVOURITE CHARACTER DIDN'T DIE!!!! 8-|