What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

1192022242594

Comments

  • Posts: 9,767
    George Lucas...


    I will now watch as the thread explodes :D

    Lucas leads to prequels prequels lead to jake Lloyd jake Lloyd leads to suffering.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Lucas leads to prequels prequels lead to jake Lloyd jake Lloyd leads to suffering.
    Jake Lloyd? At least he was a prepubescent at the time. What about the legendary Hayden Christensen?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 9,767
    see I need to rewatch the prequels because I don't think Hayden was THAT bad. I mean I think I can safely say the prequels are better then all of Sci Fi (or syfy or whatever they are called) original films and most of Steven Segals career.

    And to get back on topic

    Nolan with a good script will make A GOOD FILM. as long as he isn;t in the writing room to often the film will be good.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Posts: 1,727
    Risico007 wrote: »
    see I need to rewatch the prequels because I don't think Hayden was THAT bad. I mean I think I can safely say the prequels are better then all of Sci Fi (or syfy or whatever they are called) original films and most of Steven Segals career.

    And to get back on topic

    Nolan with a good script will make A GOOD FILM. as long as he isn;t in the writing room to often the film will be good.

    Agree. Nolan has a superb eye for spectacle and mood, plus his pacing is excellent. Despite what many say I think he's good at directing action. Just don't let him start writing...
  • Posts: 5,767
    I would very much like to see another Bond film with bright skies, that makes me feel like I went on a holiday afterwards. I haven´t seen anything from Nolan with a bright sky, and with the success of SF and SP Nolan won´t deviate in that regard.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,524
    I'm going to make a bold suggestion here, regarding the Nolan discussion. Not only do I think that Nolan would make a fine Bond film, but I'd be interested to see him deviate from a linear narrative... Not excessively of course... not like in Following, Memento and The Prestige. But a little tinkering with the time linearity, like in Batman Begins, might create an interesting effect for a Bond film.
  • Posts: 1,098
    Basically, i would like to see a director who has the experience of making big budget action films, but also has a keen eye on for directing the narrative scenes, and is a Bond fan.
    I don't want to see any more arty type Directors.
    A Bond film should be a film made for the masses to enjoy, and not for a type of film that would just please the few at a Cannes film type festival.

    e.g. QOS director Forster, no experience, and no clue how to direct an action film.
  • Posts: 5,767
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Basically, i would like to see a director who has the experience of making big budget action films, but also has a keen eye on for directing the narrative scenes, and is a Bond fan.
    I don't want to see any more arty type Directors.
    A Bond film should be a film made for the masses to enjoy, and not for a type of film that would just please the few at a Cannes film type festival.

    e.g. QOS director Forster, no experience, and no clue how to direct an action film.
    Having a clear vision would come in handy a lot more than being a Bond fan. Mendes was hyped for supposedly being such a great Bond fan, and he made some pretty heartless films.
    Forster did a much better job, even though he was never claimed to be a Bond fan. And I strongly disagree about him having no clue how to direct an action film. He did a great job.
    Aside from that, I agree that the director should be savvy with big budget and narrative.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,524
    @mepal1, What are you talking about? Forster director two Oscar winning films before QOS, the second of which got multiple nominations. A third film, right before QOS, also received an Oscar nomination. I don't think Forster was inexperienced...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    boldfinger wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Basically, i would like to see a director who has the experience of making big budget action films, but also has a keen eye on for directing the narrative scenes, and is a Bond fan.
    I don't want to see any more arty type Directors.
    A Bond film should be a film made for the masses to enjoy, and not for a type of film that would just please the few at a Cannes film type festival.

    e.g. QOS director Forster, no experience, and no clue how to direct an action film.
    Having a clear vision would come in handy a lot more than being a Bond fan. Mendes was hyped for supposedly being such a great Bond fan, and he made some pretty heartless films.
    Forster did a much better job, even though he was never claimed to be a Bond fan. And I strongly disagree about him having no clue how to direct an action film. He did a great job.
    Aside from that, I agree that the director should be savvy with big budget and narrative.

    Agreed.
  • Martin Scorsese
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116
    adiman93 wrote: »
    Martin Scorsese

    Has yet to win an Oscar.. I think.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    @mcdonbb, he won for The Departed.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Would be cool if he won one for a Bond film...

    In his defence, I like that he´s such a great Hitchcock fan and knows how to bring that on screen too. I´d love that approach for Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    bondjames wrote: »
    @mcdonbb, he won for The Departed.

    Oh that's right. He was long overdo in my opinion.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,631
    boldfinger wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Basically, i would like to see a director who has the experience of making big budget action films, but also has a keen eye on for directing the narrative scenes, and is a Bond fan.
    I don't want to see any more arty type Directors.
    A Bond film should be a film made for the masses to enjoy, and not for a type of film that would just please the few at a Cannes film type festival.

    e.g. QOS director Forster, no experience, and no clue how to direct an action film.
    Having a clear vision would come in handy a lot more than being a Bond fan. Mendes was hyped for supposedly being such a great Bond fan, and he made some pretty heartless films.
    Forster did a much better job, even though he was never claimed to be a Bond fan. And I strongly disagree about him having no clue how to direct an action film. He did a great job.
    Aside from that, I agree that the director should be savvy with big budget and narrative.

    Agreed.

    I'd almost rather have a director who isn't a Bond fan. The Bond fan directors tend to view it as their one shot to make their mark on the franchise and stuff the film full of the references that they've always wanted to see in the films, which is what we've seen over the last couple of films, regardless of whether or not they've generally been of a higher quality than we're used to seeing on a consistent basis from the franchise.

    I'd like to see a film that is completely void of references to previous films, aside from continuing on with unresolved plot points from SPECTRE. Whoever can deliver that, and can keep the film consistent with the raised level of quality that we've generally seen from the Craig films, is OK in my book.

  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    IMO most of those references are a clear sign of lack of confidence. If the film itself is a good Bond film, no references are necessary.
  • Posts: 1,631
    I'd just rather they go about trying to make the film a good film, Bond or otherwise, and then let the chips fall where they may. I'm not sure if it's a confidence issue for the director, because Skyfall is littered with references yet turned out pretty well and doesn't seem to be the work of a director who isn't sure about what he's trying to do.

    I would agree, however, about it perhaps being a confidence issue with regards to SPECTRE. I get the feeling from that one that nobody involved thought that they were going to knock it out of the park when they saw the awful script they were going to be dealing with, so the decision to jam the film full of references to the past probably came from a need in their minds to make the film as Bond-like as possible to perhaps distract from how awful the script was and how ridiculous a lot of what they were trying to do was.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Posts: 12,459
    For me, I still like Nolan very much. Also Campbell (but he is older, so I am unsure ...). Definitely not Tarantino, no matter that I like his other films. Not for Bond.
    I have been fine with Mendes, by the way, but I doubt he will return for the next one.

    I cannot think offhand of any other directors I would really want for Bond. Maybe Joe Johnston. Hmmm. JJ Abrams; I don't think that is a great fit. Just my instincts.
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    Posts: 100
    @Risico007 Only if Daniel Craig gets to yell "Now this is podracing!" during a car chase
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,449
    Now that George Miller has stated he won't do another 'Mad Max' film, anyone interested in him doing a Bond movie?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now that George Miller has stated he won't do another 'Mad Max' film, anyone interested in him doing a Bond movie?

    He'd definitely do a killer job.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now that George Miller has stated he won't do another 'Mad Max' film, anyone interested in him doing a Bond movie?
    The thought had crossed my mind too.
    Perhaps Eon made him an offer that led him to say he won´t do any more Maxes ;-)?


    jake24 wrote: »
    He'd definitely do a killer job.
    He definitely would cure my car chase trauma after SP :) .

  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Yup ...that would be great.

    Didn't Miller start out his professional life as a physician?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,449
    @boldfinger, at this stage, anything is possible! I think he still plans on doing a smooth-going, less-technical film before he tackles anything else, and he was also rumored to be helming that 'Justice League' movie, but perhaps Babs and co. managed to get him to change his mind on the world of 'Mad Max' and spend time on our beloved series instead. You don't understand how excited I would be if this was the case.

    @mcdonbb, you are correct, he used to be a medical doctor.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @boldfinger, at this stage, anything is possible! I think he still plans on doing a smooth-going, less-technical film before he tackles anything else, and he was also rumored to be helming that 'Justice League' movie, but perhaps Babs and co. managed to get him to change his mind on the world of 'Mad Max' and spend time on our beloved series instead. You don't understand how excited I would be if this was the case.

    @mcdonbb, you are correct, he used to be a medical doctor.

    Ah, thanks
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    I just don't want Mendes to return which is exciting in itself.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I just don't want Mendes to return which is exciting in itself.

    Agreed ...well only exciting if indeed he doesn't .
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    My top 3 directors to take over directing duties for Bond 25:

    Alfonso Cuaron
    George Miller
    Alejandro Iñárritu
  • Posts: 1,680
    The next one is either going to be directed by Nolan or Mendes.
Sign In or Register to comment.