The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    For those who want a review that's ALL LOVE, here's Kevin Smith's response to TFA. It's definitely worth your time because Smith reveals:

- during the filming of which scene he was right there on set
    - what line in TFA "might" be a reference to one of his films
    - what he thinks about prequel material ever making it into the new series

I suggest you start watching starting at 7:14.

That was an epic fanboy review and I loved it. Smith's excitement makes me want to go out and watch it again right now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thought that the kid playing Han and Leah's son looks like a young Howard Stern?

Probably, but now that you mention it...
    Was Ford's death in TFA the first time he dies on screen? I haven't seen all his movies but I don't recall him ever having a death scene. And the fact I was not expecting his death at all in TFA, I was profoundly shocked.
    He dies in The Mosuito Coast and What Lies Beneath also.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Was Ford's death in TFA the first time he dies on screen? I haven't seen all his movies but I don't recall him ever having a death scene. And the fact I was not expecting his death at all in TFA, I was profoundly shocked.
    @DaltonCraig007, I saw a film called What Lies Beneath many years back with Michelle Pfeiffer where he dies, but that's about all I can recall.
    Also, a made for TV film back in the 70's called The Possessed where he gets engulfed by flames.

At the 9 minute mark.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He got shot and killed in the mosquito coast. He's the mentor in this first episode of the new trilogy. He's the Liam Neeson and Alec Guinness of this trilogy. Nothing about this movie was a shock. The fact they hid their plot so doggedly was laughable.
  • The ending with Luke is now on Youtube- I get goosebumps watching it every time!

I'm a Jedi. We don't believe in shaving
    Say something. Do something.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @doubleoego, Smith can do that. Listening to his Fat-Man on Batman podcast, I've bought and read dozens of comics I normally might have skipped. ;-)
  • I really REALLY hope that Luke gets a big fight scene in Ep VIII where he uses his green AND blue saber at once!
    I was unsure if he even had the green one still since he threw it aside on the Death Star and from then on was a little preoccupied getting electrocuted and dragging Vader to the ship to escape. But someone else pointed out to me that he's definitely wearing it on his belt when he arrives at the Ewok party, so he must still have it.

I'm a bit curious about his hand- when it got shot during ROTJ, did the rest just peel away over time? I'm picturing him sitting there on that island, just picking at it, lol =))

The bare mechanical hand is kind of a cool look though
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,518
    My money's on her being Luke's kid. Daisy Ridley strongly resembles Natalie Portman (and Kiera Knightly, who in turn also looks like Portman, and was the Queen's double)

CC8--zLW0AIMxBw.jpg

That can't be a coincidence.
    As to who the mom is, (did we rule out Leia? :-& ;) ) I understand there's a comic series called Shattered Empire, which shows what happens between ROTJ & TFA. I caught a peek of one issue at the comic store, and Luke definitely meets a hot dark haired woman- not sure where it goes, if anywhere. Is anyone currently reading that, and can fill me in?

Hot dark haired woman = Poe Dameron's mum
    If I recall correctly, Oscar Isaac is from Guatemala and they used Guatemala to film some of the Yavin stuff from EP6 so Isaac made his own little bio for Poe that he was originally from Yavin, and maybe saw the award ceremony when he was a child or something
    Sure enough they made both his parents rebel pilots that fought in the Battle of Yavin in Shattered Empire
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,314
    I wonder if the Vader mask was destroyed with the rest of the Starkiller planet? I actually hope that it was. It would be nice if Kylo Ren didn't wear his mask anymore either. Right before he killed his father, Ren drops the mask and I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that he ever picked it up again. Perhaps, with that murderous act, he fully embraced the Dark Side and became his own man. No need to copy his grandfather now.

If they bring it back, and they probably will, I'm not going to be upset over it. I just think it would be a nice little piece of character development. Edit- Or wait, was the Vader mask on Ren's ship? I don't remember now to be honest.
  • You know, I'm glad I already saw the movie before I walked into the Disney Store recently. They have these nifty metal 'Elite' Star Wars figures and I noticed Rey comes with THE LIGHTSABER right there in her friggin' hand.

$_35.JPG

Way back in 2002 before I saw AOTC, Anakin's severed arm was spoiled for me when I was in a Toys R Us and saw the Anakin figure that boasted a 'magnetic removable arm'.

5150DZiuqHL._SY300_.jpg

That pissed me off a little. :-L I would have thought they'd be a little more careful with spoilers
    Hot dark haired woman = Poe Dameron's mum
    Thank you @NickTwentyTwo
    So in that comic Poe must be a little kid. Does he show up? Or then again, does TFA ever actually say it takes place 30+ years after ROTJ, or do most of us (myself included) just assume it's because the movie was made that long after. Is it possible that it's less than 30 years after?
    Is there any indication as to who Rey's mom may be, assuming Luke is her father?

Luke has been disfigured enough
    The ending with Luke is now on Youtube- I get goosebumps watching it every time!
    That was the most moving moment for me, especially since I never really dug Mark Hamill as an actor in the old SW films, and I never saw him in any film since (except for the almost cameo in Kingsmen). I really found his expression in those few seconds amazingly touching and impactful.

boldfinger wrote: »
    The ending with Luke is now on Youtube- I get goosebumps watching it every time!
    That was the most moving moment for me, especially since I never really dug Mark Hamill as an actor in the old SW films, and I never saw him in any film since (except for the almost cameo in Kingsmen). I really found his expression in those few seconds amazingly touching and impactful.
    Ditto. I'm ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye on both occasions in the theatre. I'll be seeing it with my niece and nephews soon and must try to compose myself this time - they can't see their uncle tearing up when the lights come on.
    Just blame the 3d glasses, Uncle bondjames.
    Thanks @Thunderfinger. These guys are pretty sharp and will see through any bs, but that is a plausible explanation that will definitely work. I'll prepare them before the film by explaining a sensitivity to the glasses.
    And be sure you don t sob out aloud and tear your hair out.
  • I was surprised by Han's death, although not shocked. I certainly see it coming before it happened in the scene. Never had I felt so tense in a movie!

One thing I personally haven't seen discussed much is who Max Von Sydow's character exactly? For such a big name actor, I was surprised to see him killed off so quickly. Was he on Jakku to watch over Rey, not unlike Obiwan to Luke? Will other films fill in his backstory? In the opening scrawl when they refer to him as an old ally, it made my husband ask if we were "supposed to know who he is". I certainly didn't.

At this point I don't think the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter is even supposed to be a surprise, as there seem to be hints at it. The surprises will be: Who is her mother? Why was she left in Jakku? Did Luke know she existed/was alive?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tbh, I never really got the fascination with Luke. He was way too whiny and his training in Dagobah annoyed the hell out of me. He so badly wanted to be a jedi and Harper on about how ready he was but the guy lacked belief and gave up too easily. To me, Luke was a half decent jedi at best and got lucky that daddy Vader took pity on him.
    To those who complain that TFA should be more original-the first films were far from original, either. They borrowed heavily from Flash Gordon (most of all), Tolkien , Fantastic Four and what have you. All of those in turn borrowed from Homer, just to name one example.

There are only a handful of stories being told, but the variations amount to millions.

It was fresh enough for me. History does repeat itself in real life too, after all.
    @Thunderfinger makes a compelling point! Perhaps the problem is that not only do we have these same Campbellian hero archetypes, but the setting is very recognisable, as is the villain's plot. But the funny thing is, it never bothered me, not once!
    We all love recognition. This is the true genius of Disney. They know the archetypes and cultivate them for our pleasure.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger makes a compelling point! Perhaps the problem is that not only do we have these same Campbellian hero archetypes, but the setting is very recognisable, as is the villain's plot. But the funny thing is, it never bothered me, not once!
    Me neither. It gave me exactly what I was expecting and it delivered with pure style! This was a kickoff movie and it brought us back to that universe brilliantly after a long break (too long for those who disliked the prequels). Now it's up to the next films to chart a new and daring course, and give us new memories to cherish.
    Even though TFA borrowed heavily from the original trilogy, it was wise enough to leave out Ewoks. I really think the people who are currently in charge of SW are smarter than to just emulate all the recognisable elements of the OT. TFA is more than merely a checklist film.
  • I feel as though anyone on this board who likes The Spy Who Loved Me & Moonraker should be able to forgive some similarities between ANH & TFA ;)
    Harrison Ford is confirmed for SW VIII. What the hell?
    IMBD has him lined up for Indy 5 and Blade Runner 2 as well. The latter makes me cringe.