Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

The four year delay after DAD was EON's decision as Wilson at the time had estimated it would be at least 3 years before B21 would be released. The 3 year delay after TWINE was both Brosnan's and EON's decision as well. I'll agree that the 4 year gap after QOS was out of their hands as was the 6 year period after LTK. Now it's become so common to have a lengthier period between films it's almost expected. For a series like Bond it's best to keep a reliable 2 year cycle as much as possible. People who aren't Bond aficionados tend to assume the series is over or basically lose interest during these gaps. Then it becomes an issue of having to re-introduce the character for a new generation and prove he's still relevant.
    That gets old when every few films there's a running theme of Bond being passe as in GE, or SF. Bond has been going on for decades and decades. They shouldn't have to prove anything even when a new actor gets hired.
    As for age- frankly I don't think the producers obsess about the matter as much as fans or the general public. Certainly they wouldn't cast a 20 something in the role, but Craig is approaching 50 and they're not expressing any desire to replace him. Also had CR not been done as a reboot/origin story, Brosnan would stayed on for a 5th film after the age of 50. Same with Dalton had he chosen to stick around for GE.
    Are people really seriously answering to Garfield? Whats next? Donald Duck? Might not be more off actually. Sometimes this is getting a bit out of any logic.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Are people really seriously answering to Garfield? Whats next? Donald Duck? Might not be more off actually. Sometimes this is getting a bit out of any logic.

I'm with you, Garfield is weedy, same reason Robert pattison should not be considered.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Garfield is a good looking chap, but he is not Bond imho. A little more ruggedness and edginess is required for this role, and he didn't exhibit any of that as Spider.
    He is geeky looking, which is nice, if the role requires it. Its somethong you either have or not. Same as with all looks, that are very particular. You cant or shouldnt try to change that too much.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    Garfield is a good looking chap, but he is not Bond imho. A little more ruggedness and edginess is required for this role, and he didn't exhibit any of that as Spider.

That's because spider-man doesn't require such physical attributes. Peter Parker is of a boyish nature despite his overwhelming responsibilities.

However, the actor taking on the role of Bond needs to be a man and not someone trying to act like one.
    Hmmm. Garfield had never even occurred to me. He'd actually gone off my radar after he became Spider-Man. Before that, I thought he was an interesting up and comer. Even saw him on stage with Philip Seymour Hoffman just before the big man passed away.

I won't dismiss him out of hand. May be not this time but perhaps the Bond after next? Depends how he grows into his looks.
  • IGUANNA wrote: »
    I was thinking Andrew Garfield? His physical exquisitry is not immediately apparent, just like Craig's.

I've seen some of your posts and I've been trying to figure out if you're serious, or a comedy troll. This one confirmed which it is.
  • Aidan Turner looking a lot more Bondian without his usual long curly hair and designer stubble.

11124222_932195876855316_5894984826785547672_o.jpg

AIDEN8web_466x466.jpg?1449170781
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This photo of Turner has a Dalton vibe.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This photo of Turner has a Dalton vibe.
    Definitely:
    James_Bond__Timothy_Dalton__-_Profile.jpg?14268264935436296739
    Aidan Turner looking a lot more Bondian without his usual long curly hair and designer stubble.

11124222_932195876855316_5894984826785547672_o.jpg

AIDEN8web_466x466.jpg?1449170781

Completely down with this. My new favorite.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 158
    Nicholas Hoult

He is British
    He isn't a clone of any other Bond actor or any stereotypical look for Bond
    He has a distinctive and slightly quirky look
    He is young and ideal for a reboot to attract a younger audience
    He looked and sounded the part in the Jaguar commercials

I cannot imagine a more interesting actor to usher in a new Bond era once Craig hangs up the PPK.

With Sean Connery, the producers took a risk by going against conventional wisdom. With Daniel Craig, they did the same gain - two inspired casting decisions that did wonders for the popularity of the movies. I see the casting of Nicholas Hoult in a similar way. The series cannot have another actor to simply carry on like Craig, in the same way it would not have worked to have a Sean Connery copycat in Live and Let Die. Nicholas Hoult would be an inspired choice to add new energy by going in a new direction with the series.

Hoult has been proposed a time or two in the past. I like him as an actor but not Bond,
  • BondBug wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult

He is British

He looks 15 years old.

I know it's a cliche to say any generic British actor who appears in something else wearing a tuxedo should be Bond, but those photos of Aiden Turner are pretty great.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,727
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    BondBug wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult

He is British

He looks 15 years old.

I know it's a cliche to say any generic British actor who appears in something else wearing a tuxedo should be Bond, but those photos of Aiden Turner are pretty great.

Hoult is one of those types that won't look 'grown-up' untill he's well into his 40's.
    My only problem with Hoult is his boyish looks. No doubt he is a talented actor and has good stature/physique, but will he grow into his looks enough within the next 3-5yrs?

He is blessed with good genes as he still looks younger than his 26 years, but when it comes to being cast as Bond that is not an advantage.

Yes SC and DC both were cast 'against' the grain, but what both men have in common is that they looked mature and had grown into their masculine looks.

Compare Hoult to (for arguments' sake, I'm not suggesting he is a shoe-in for 007) another fella of the same sort of age - Liam Hemsworth. Now that guy already LOOKS mature enough to have some sort of chance of being cast in 5yrs time (although I don't think he's right for the part, for the record).
    Compare the two and you'll see what I mean.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Aiden Turner is a good actor, has the look, can get into great shape and we all know he gets the women moist.

That being said, I just finished watching TlOtR trilogy and it occurred to me that I wouldn't be opposed to Peter Jackson directing a Bond film. He satisfies all those that care about Oscars and we know when he gives it his all, he knocks it out of the park. He's worked with Turner on the Hobbit films and if Craig stays on, Jackson already has ties in that he's worked with Craig's wife, hell he's worked with Craig on TinTin, he can do a lot with a reasonable budget and can you imagine how epic in scope his Bond movie will be. People were recently talking about wanting a finale with Bond and an assault team storming an enemy lair as something they want to see again, Jackson will deliver on this in his sleep! I also believe at one point he was supposed to direct a Bond movie back in the 90s but it fell through? Someone correct me if I'm wrong and the score would be epic too.

Jackson could work; I just read that he's going to direct a Doctor Who next season, so he's open to projects other than his own.
    I think Jackson would be awesome.I love his work, and he can definitely do action.
  • Yes Peter Jackson was approached for TWINE apparently
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    BondBug wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult

He is British

He looks 15 years old.

Funny, but he looks mid 20s to me and will probably be around 30 or more if Craig does at least one more Bond. I would say he is nothing like a generic British actor. I guess we can all look at the same Bond movie or the same actor and see things that are very different.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 3,000
    Deez
    No doubts after seeing the promo video of Aiden Turner in Agatha Christies -Then there were none that he is a dead cert for the role after Dan, one particular scene with a pistol in his hand just screams iconic Bond.
    Hm, I do think, men look at men in a very different way. This chap looks cold as a fish and not in a good way. For me, who ever follows is not really of interest but its fun to watch these lists. Some seem possible, but others are just...wtf really? :P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Hm, I do think, men look at men in a very different way. This chap looks cold as a fish and not in a good way. For me, who ever follows is not really of interest but its fun to watch these lists. Some seem possible, but others are just...wtf really? :P

They all are.
    link the Then there were none trailer lot faster than the tv promo

Another 2-3 years I think that little bit old he will be the top man.

2hpm58m.png
    This chap Turner has potential imho. I haven't seen him in anything that I can recall, but I can see him as Bond, as long as he can act and has a decent voice.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm also a Turner fan. I have a vision of how they can soft reboot Bond after Craig and he is perfect for it.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This chap Turner has potential imho. I haven't seen him in anything that I can recall, but I can see him as Bond, as long as he can act and has a decent voice.

Yes he does. Looks wise, him and Cavill are the only ones suitable out of all the people mentioned here.