Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

He seems more supporting material. In that pic he looks, like he could be the best friend OR the best enemy of the hero, but not the hero for some reason.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The same could be said of Craig, that he isn't and doesn't look like a leading man. Yet he was cast. So Turner has a chance. He just needs one role to catch the eye of EON.
  • SerialHitmanSerialHitman Plotting my revenge
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, I had Aidan Turner pegged alongside Dan Stevens as a possible 007 contender too.

Agreed, those two are my top contenders as well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He seems more supporting material. In that pic he looks, like he could be the best friend OR the best enemy of the hero, but not the hero for some reason.

781256-3x2-460x307.jpg

Because this above pic of Craig clearly screams leading man Bond material.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It does.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116

AIDEN8web_466x466.jpg?1449170781

I don't know this Turner guy, but to me he looks more like the ungrateful son of a rich financier from a 90's sitcom. He'd be more proper for the role of Gustav Graves.

Maybe a TV version of CR set in 1953 celebrating the 65th anniversary of Fleming's novel. Okay just daydreaming :P
    It does.

It really doesn't.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It does.

It really doesn't.
    As I've said before, when I saw Craig at that particular photo shoot to introduce him, I thought he looked like a tosser. I thought that EON had completely lost their marbles. A quick rental of Layer Cake restored my faith.

So yes, I think Turner definitely has the look for Bond, at least from still photos. I have not seen him act however, and so don't know how he projects his persona on screen. That is critical for a Bond actor, who must demonstrate absolute self-confidence. This is something Craig does easily, which quite frankly at least imho, transcends his looks.

781256-3x2-460x307.jpg

Because this above pic of Craig clearly screams leading man Bond material.

I know what you mean bit even here he looks a hell of a lot more interesting then Turner.

But its all matter of perspective, right? ;)
    Definitely. My point was simply that. Turner has a good look to him and he's a good actor but once the actor undergoes training, hair and makeup and has to perform, it's a very different story. So many people had the same initial mindset as @bondjames, some even had the same mindset although they knew Craig was a good actor but his look and presentation at the press conference didn't inspire hope and confidence that he was the right man for the job. Well, as we all know Craig proved his detractors wrong in the most epic way imaginable.
    Absolutely. Maybe I am a lost case anyway, as I really never found the dark type attractive. With very few exceptions.
    I think trying to consider if someone is suitable for a role such as Bond based just on photographs is kinda pointless. Surely one needs to see an actor act (preferably in something good) before being able to have any idea at all. It's an acting job, not a modelling job, so what good are some photos? Photos can be misleading, looks can change, and acting is talent and skill and one can't tell that from photos. It's interesting to see suggestions, though, even when they are guys I've never seen in anything.
    There can be no vowels in his initials, only consonants.

So far we had TSC, GRL, RGM, TPD, PBB and DWR.

If we count the "unofficial" ones, we also had RHN and JDGN.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,745
    Absolutely. Maybe I am a lost case anyway, as I really never found the dark type attractive. With very few exceptions.

But Bond is the dark type. At least traditionally. I'm not saying he has to be, Craig is prefect example of that.

But I think Turner is the right direction post-Craig. Young, fitting to the character, and with room to grow.

2hpm58m.png
    Whatever they do, they have to make him different from DC to not create a clone.
    If its Turner, so be it. I have liked Bond films always and seen ALL in the threater (yes, I am that old), but with DC it got into new hights for me and without him will go back to where it was before, no doubt. So, I might take action in this thread from time to time, but don't really care. ;)
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

But Bond is the dark type. At least traditionally. I'm not saying he has to be, Craig is prefect example of that.

But I think Turner is the right direction post-Craig. Young, fitting to the character, and with room to grow.

2hpm58m.png

Is he smelling his own hair wax?
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I think trying to consider if someone is suitable for a role such as Bond based just on photographs is kinda pointless. Surely one needs to see an actor act (preferably in something good) before being able to have any idea at all. It's an acting job, not a modelling job, so what good are some photos? Photos can be misleading, looks can change, and acting is talent and skill and one can't tell that from photos. It's interesting to see suggestions, though, even when they are guys I've never seen in anything.

This! I too have been stumped about the posts that are judging some actors simply based on pictures and how "Bond like" they look. Like you note, Bond ain't a modeling job. I think Craig has raised the bar re acting skill, and the now huge spy film competition has also raised the pressure on EON to get the next Bond actor right. He is going to have to be convincing. Having the "right" looks means exactly what. Craig was not tall, not dark haired, and not traditionally handsome, so for me acting chops, confidence, intelligence and of course reasonable good looks are key for Bond 7. I don't see how EON can possibly not cast the next Bond based on some demonstrated strong acting chops.
    smitty wrote: »

This! I too have been stumped about the posts that are judging some actors simply based on pictures and how "Bond like" they look. Like you note, Bond ain't a modeling job. I think Craig has raised the bar re acting skill, and the now huge spy film competition has also raised the pressure on EON to get the next Bond actor right. He is going to have to be convincing. Having the "right" looks means exactly what. Craig was not tall, not dark haired, and not traditionally handsome, so for me acting chops, confidence, intelligence and of course reasonable good looks are key for Bond 7. I don't see how EON can possibly not cast the next Bond based on some demonstrated strong acting chops.

So all 103 pages of this thread are pointless?

It's fun to hypothesize. It's the same as hunting for a new Batman, Superman, whatever.

We're just making suggestions based on what we've seen actors do, or actors we like the look of. It's completely harmless and a fun way to occupy the mind for everyone here.

I'll give you my favorite advice: If you don't like the headline, don't click the link.

Adapt that here, and it means if you find this all pointless, and can't understand the appeal to others, then why bother.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yep.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »

So all 103 pages of this thread are pointless?

It's fun to hypothesize. It's the same as hunting for a new Batman, Superman, whatever.

We're just making suggestions based on what we've seen actors do, or actors we like the look of. It's completely harmless and a fun way to occupy the mind for everyone here.

I'll give you my favorite advice: If you don't like the headline, don't click the link.

Adapt that here, and it means if you find this all pointless, and can't understand the appeal to others, then why bother.

Not pointless. It's obviously a game now that SP is kind of over and done. But some posts seem to focus only on pictures of actors. Most at least are talking about possible bond's film and tv work. I guess it depends on how seriously you take the topic.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    It does.

It really doesn't.
    As I've said before, when I saw Craig at that particular photo shoot to introduce him, I thought he looked like a tosser. I thought that EON had completely lost their marbles. A quick rental of Layer Cake restored my faith.

So yes, I think Turner definitely has the look for Bond, at least from still photos. I have not seen him act however, and so don't know how he projects his persona on screen. That is critical for a Bond actor, who must demonstrate absolute self-confidence. This is something Craig does easily, which quite frankly at least imho, transcends his looks.

I'll agree with all of this
    Good looks is never enough to keep up interest. That goes for men and women. Nothing but looks gets boring fast.
    Gee I came on this thread after watching BBC's And Then There Were None thinking to mention Aidan Turner as a contender. Not so much because of his appearance as the way he plays Lombard. There's something very Bondian about him. Then I see he's already been mentioned. Anyway he'd be the right age.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Gee I came on this thread after watching BBC's And Then There Were None thinking to mention Aidan Turner as a contender. Not so much because of his appearance as the way he plays Lombard. There's something very Bondian about him. Then I see he's already been mentioned. Anyway he'd be the right age.

Yes. The man portrayed all that is necessary to be an effective Bond. Possibly even better than Craig. Give this man the role next.

I wouldn't be so positive about him just now. He wasn't exactly memorable in The Hobbit.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I wouldn't be so positive about him just now. He wasn't exactly memorable in The Hobbit.

He may have fallen short in the Hobbit :P
    mcdonbb wrote: »

He may have fallen short in the Hobbit :P

They pretty much all did.
    Fleming always envisaged golf player Henry Cotton when he wrote the books.
    I'm trying not to get overenthusiastic about Turner. He's good in an Agatha Christie adaptation, it's hardly anything: a whodunit with English stereotypes. But he's darn good in it and for a whodunit I find the writing and acting excellent.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 163
    I see the media now reports about Turner being the next Bond, which means it probably won't happen. It would be an entire era I wouldn't watch.