Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I do fear that Aidan Turner might turn up to be the next Brosnan: plebiscited by the viewers based on very little substance. Judging by the overly positive reaction he received for his performance as Philip Lombard, I am starting to think he's already overrated as a contender (even though I suggested him based on this very performance).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    You're forgetting the first rule of mass communication, give the people what they want ! :D
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Germanlady wrote: »
    That was coming from me and I thought it was save to assume so. Shows what I know.
    I googled him and found him still very meh. But if he managed to be the wow man of the moment, he might have smething, I just dont see. Talk about taste.. ;) But his films might be the first ones, I wouldnt bother to pay for. Guess he could live with that. :P

Aidan doesnt do anything for me in the sex appeall department.
    He is ok looking but he is not as sexy as Pierce Brsonan or Sean Connery in their respective prime. Those two (Pierce and Connery) only with their voices had enough ohh snd their screen presecence was something special.

In my very personal opinion Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery are not only the sexiest bond actors but the sexiest actors of their decade they were in their prime.

In the 90s no one was hotter than Pierce meanwhile in the 60s there was no actor hotter than Sean Connery.

What I think Aidan Turner might need is a bit more experience and presence. Okay, so he was good as Philip Lombard, but not amazingly good. And it's not like he was memorable in The Hobbit. Anyone remembers his character in it? Anyone? Anyone?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I haven't wet my pants since childhood but this Turner fellow looks a lot better than some of the other candidates that have been mentioned here. I'm going to try and get some of his stuff to watch so I can see him act and then will report back.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    What I think Aidan Turner might need is a bit more experience and presence. Okay, so he was good as Philip Lombard, but not amazingly good. And it's not like he was memorable in The Hobbit. Anyone remembers his character in it? Anyone? Anyone?

Not me, but that's not saying much since the whole movie was so forgettable. I haven't seen the guy in anything else, so once again can't comment at all.

bondjames wrote: »
    I haven't wet my pants since childhood

:))
    but this Turner fellow looks a lot better than some of the other candidates that have been mentioned here. I'm going to try and get some of his stuff to watch so I can see him act and then will report back.

Okay.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited December 2015 Posts: 11,139

I remember him from the hobbit movies mainly because he looked more like a man than a dwarf and also because of the love subplot he had. Also, to be fair, the hobbit movies themselves are surprisingly forgettable.

Turner is fast becoming a popular choice to become the next Bond and I feel because of the proliferation of his popularity I think he's being somewhat unfairly dismissed. He's a good looking young man, is of a good age, and as I was the one who initially made the wet panty comment, contrary to what @Germanlady believes he does indeed get many women soaked and he is a good actor.

However, Turner or no Turner if the scripts are shit then it doesn't really matter. I think he has what it takes to be a good Bond and all he needs is to be given the chance. His body of work so far at the very least conveys that he's a competent actor but the scripts and the directing also have to be on par.
    Jane Seymour landed the role of Solitaire after appearing in the original
    series of Poldark, so who knows maybe lighting will strike twice. :)
    @ego: I didn't mean to take away the wet pants from you. All yours, Sir. ;;)
    It's amazing to see the amount of publicity Aidan Turner has had from one Christmas
    drama.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I'm watching "And then there were none" at the moment (recorded it), so no spoilers, please.

Regarding Turner - he doesn't quite fit the bill, somehow... Anyone with real presence & charisma would have stolen every scene he was in with the way that character was written, but Turner is merely 'good', not outstanding in it.
    You'll love the alien attack and the big song and dance finish. ;)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    You'll love the alien attack and the big song and dance finish. ;)

Well that's a given - A.Christie is known for her expertly interwoven sci-fi & broadway inspired musical elements :D

But I'm on the fence with Aidan Turner - he seems too obvious and his suitability is so far based on superficial popularity rather than content...
    I think a new Bond is a long way off, so he may be "flavour of the month" at
    The moment, but that could all change. I remember reading loads about the
    Bloke from 50 shades, being a contender too. :)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    @ego: I didn't mean to take away the wet pants from you. All yours, Sir. ;;)

Haha no its fine. It was a throw away line that I didn't expect to be used so much regarding Turner's appeal. Wet panties for everyone!
    ;)
    All this talk of wet panties, leaves a bad taste in my mouth ! ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    All this talk of wet panties, leaves a bad taste in my mouth ! ;)

I wanna laugh ..I really do. I feel dirty now :(
    You always were a cunning linguist. :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Ok you win .... :))
  • Aidan Turner has my vote too. :x

[tumblr_static_tumblr_static_epfowjhymq88ssw4wcc0w04ss_640.jpg
    AceHole wrote: »
    I'm watching "And then there were none" at the moment (recorded it), so no spoilers, please.

Regarding Turner - he doesn't quite fit the bill, somehow... Anyone with real presence & charisma would have stolen every scene he was in with the way that character was written, but Turner is merely 'good', not outstanding in it.

To be fair there wasnt much else he could have done with the role. It was a different type of ensemble film and you have to look at the material the actors are working with combined with the premise of the drama. Turner turned in favourable performance and didnt need to steal the scenes he was in. Those arent the markings of a great actor; subtlety is also key.

And there were none isn't our friends from the north and Turner's potential candidacy isn't like those other absurd suggestions like Clive Owen who got a fan push just because of his attire he wore in the croupier. Like I said before, Turner is a good actor and very competent. All he needs is the opportunity and good material to work with. If Lazenby can do a decent enough job and be in one of the best movies ever not just one of the best Bond movies ever, what more for Turner. Connery, Craig, Dalton, are excellent actors and in a few cases havn't blown people away in some of their non Bond stuff. Léa Seydoux is a phenomenal actress but she's quite forgettable as a Bond girl.

A good actor needs a reasonable look, a chance, opportunity and good material to work with and we're set.
    I remember Desmond Llewellyn in an interview saying that you didn't have to
    be a great actor to play Bond But you did have to be a good one ! As playing Bond
    Is not as simple as some people think.
    So for me as long as they get a good actor, hopefully everything else will fall
    into place.
  • Aidan Turner. NOW. Forget old man Idris Elba - way way way way tooooo old to reboot and restart a franchise with (wlthough he would have beeen great maybe 4-5 years ago). After watching Aidan Turner in the wonderul And Then There Were None, he practically turned it into an audition of Bond. He was suave, arrogant, ruthless, cynical but able to charm the pants off the ladies. He also looked awesome in a Tux. Perfect in every single way.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I remember Desmond Llewellyn in an interview saying that you didn't have to
    be a great actor to play Bond But you did have to be a good one ! As playing Bond
    Is not as simple as some people think.
    So for me as long as they get a good actor, hopefully everything else will fall
    into place.
    I completely agree with the great Desmond. No need for anyone great. I feel Daniel Craig is wasting his talents in Bond to be quite honest, outside of CR where he was given a script and direction worthy of his capabilities.

I think the actor first and foremost has to be confident and comfortable in his skin. If he's not, the more discerning among the audience will know it. Connery, although an Oscar winner later, was as confident as one can humanly be. So was Moore. So was Lazenby as well, which was surprising given his lack of acting training. I found all three to be extremely convincing as a result.

Craig convinces too, but more because he's a great actor, and the same goes for Dalton. However, I think those earlier three are actually more convincing because of their confidence.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Aidan Turner. NOW. Forget old man Idris Elba - way way way way tooooo old to reboot and restart a franchise with (wlthough he would have beeen great maybe 4-5 years ago). After watching Aidan Turner in the wonderul And Then There Were None, he practically turned it into an audition of Bond. He was suave, arrogant, ruthless, cynical but able to charm the pants off the ladies. He also looked awesome in a Tux. Perfect in every single way.

Adam Turner...yes maybe. Edris Elba. ..no, he's black.
    doubleoego wrote: »

I remember him from the hobbit movies mainly because he looked more like a man than a dwarf and also because of the love subplot he had. Also, to be fair, the hobbit movies themselves are surprisingly forgettable.

Turner is fast becoming a popular choice to become the next Bond and I feel because of the proliferation of his popularity I think he's being somewhat unfairly dismissed. He's a good looking young man, is of a good age, and as I was the one who initially made the wet panty comment, contrary to what @Germanlady believes he does indeed get many women soaked and he is a good actor.

However, Turner or no Turner if the scripts are shit then it doesn't really matter. I think he has what it takes to be a good Bond and all he needs is to be given the chance. His body of work so far at the very least conveys that he's a competent actor but the scripts and the directing also have to be on par.

I'm not dismissing it. I even suggested it. But based on one good performance of a stereotype it is not enough to be enthusiastic as the public seems to be. He'd need a bit more experience me think.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The trouble is, we don't seem to have any obvious candidates jumping out at us, except Elba. Turner at least is getting more conviction from many than the other suggestions. I do fear the Brosnan concern however (overhype based on looks and superficial aspects).
  • People who worrying about Turners looks over acting ability should go and watch Being Human where he played a vampire housemate. He was great in that, he was also one of the stand-out Dwarves in The Hobbit movies (one of the few that did!). Turner is, perhaps close to Brosnan in terms of looks (dark haired, Irish too!) but he's a much better actor. I genuinely cannot see anyone better than Aidan Turner. Not saying he's a shoe-in, but if he isn't seriously considered then I'd be astonished.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    The boy definitely has the looks for the job.

I suggest EON do what they must, before DC or Marvel grab him (like they did Bale before Craig came along) or we could be left with B candidates.

Yep. I really hope EON pounce on him quickly because he's about to be a BIG BIG star. Turner has matinee idol looks and real screen presence. I would love for him to be the next bond. So let Craig go (he's bored with the role and I'm bored of him telling the world he's bored of being Bond, frankly), so boot the old codger out ( I'm only 4 years younger than Craig but 47 is too old) and get Aidan Turner in for Bond 25. I think EON would be stupid not to at least start talking to his agent.

The trouble is, we don't seem to have any obvious candidates jumping out at us, except Elba. Turner at least is getting more conviction from many than the other suggestions. I do fear the Brosnan concern however (overhype based on looks and superficial aspects).

Elba was not really an obvious candidate. He's too old now anyway.

This is also what I fear: the Brosnan syndrome. Good on paper, plebiscited by the public for superficial reasons.