Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like that bit.
    Misogynist dinosaur. =))
  • I think Brosnan was a perfect Bond who got saddled with some very imperfect scripts. GE and the first half of TND are tremendous, but after that we only get glimmers of what Brosnan's Bond could've been.

GE is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. But Brosnan's best scene as Bond was the Paris Carver death scene. The emotion of the scene, the music, the believable relationship between the characters that was built up in a such a short time, and his cold blooding killing of Kaufmann to cap it all off. Then in the next 2.5 films the only time we get to see that side of his Bond again is when he kills Elektra in TWINE.

He got stuck with some horrendously written films.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like that bit.

You probably won't believe me but I do too - mainly because it's not malicious and Connery sells it so well. Can't really see it working today though.

• DariusDarius UK
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A dead girl covered in paint, oil, milk, honey, etc...

I dunno, sounds good to me.
    ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Cutting back to MI6 staff members during chases.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    They certainly need to bring back Dink :x

But yeah, no more personal issues, please? Move on. The "conflicted, tragic hero" bit is wearing thin and is becoming formulaic in its own right.
  • My #1 would be no more "Bond goes rogue" for a considerable time.

#2 would be the personal issues.

They each have their place, but they've been done to damn death.
  • Madonna, definitely Madonna.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    'James Bond will not return'
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, Bond has had way too many "rogue" stories - we need to return to the classic Connery/Moore style of missions. And no more past histories and so on haunting Bond, or M, or any other major character. That needs to stop for a good four or five movies, because it's wearing thin already. And a genuine spy thriller ala FRWL would be welcome, too.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 562
    That's real bond. If only they had the guts to do something like that nowadays.

(Referring to the goldfinger scene)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    "Don't touch that, that's my lunch".

A Bond girl calling everyone "Mr" or "Buster" Tiffany Case

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    That's real bond. If only they had the guts to do something like that nowadays.

(Referring to the goldfinger scene)

Agreed.
    I never want Bond to imitate other film franchises......Bond was successful, in the early days because it led the way in film trends.

Having elements of Jaws, Star Wars, Close encounters of the third kind..........and worse of all Bourne.......must not be repeated in the future!
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Huge weapons in space.
    Ice castles. Laser weapons.
    Cheap CGI. Surfing.
    Directed by Lee Tamahori.
    Invisible car.

You know. The absolute shit.
    Poor attempt at humor..A small car with a below average driver ruining a great car chase scene.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tropes that come across as too similar to /derivative of the past.
  • Slidewhistles
    Blofeld dressing as a woman
    Mass gunfights where no one seems to get hit
    Indestructible henchmen ( see Jaws)
    Aimless travelling across multiple countries - flying is NOT glamourous
    Bond driving a Ford Mondeo or a BMW
    Car parks / road scenes entirely populated with Jaguar Land Rover vehicles
    Any villain being related to, grew up with, worked alongside, slept with Bond
    Comedy wildlife
    Score from Dr No (apart from the title Bond theme)
    Bond actors with face lifts
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Troy wrote: »
    Car parks / road scenes entirely populated with Jaguar Land Rover vehicles
    This reminds me.......in the New York arrival scene in LALD, when Bond is in the taxi when Whisper fires the dart from his rear view mirror, nearly every car on the road is the same brand...... I think it's a Chevy. It's quite noticeable, annoyingly so.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yeah, Bond has had way too many "rogue" stories - we need to return to the classic Connery/Moore style of missions. And no more past histories and so on haunting Bond, or M, or any other major character. That needs to stop for a good four or five movies, because it's wearing thin already. And a genuine spy thriller ala FRWL would be welcome, too.
    I'm afraid we won't be getting that kind of a film anytime soon because like the world we live in, Bond's world already has governments that are corrupt and not to be trusted. And as long as Spectre is the enemy within and the dominating power that bought out all the authorities around the world, Bond won't be the government-loyal agent we've seen in the first 20 films. That is, unless, he leaves MI-6 for an independent international intelligence agency operating on the highest level of discretion (no Kingsman. ;) ), like Blackwater, for instance, but more likely an organization that the world isn't aware of, and its their job to dismantle enemy forces like Spectre.

So, all in all, judging by Spectre's events, Bond is his own agent/ninja (word not to be taken in its literal meaning) against the evil power that lies beneath and within the authorities across the globe.
    Eric Serra.
  • AVBAVB
    augie7107 wrote: »
    References to homosexuality, like in Skyfall on the island and references that Bond is getting to old for his job, again in Skyfall. Bond, from literary character and movie character portrayals, is decidedly heterosexual and basically indestructible and it should stay that way, in my opinion.

I think you totally missed the point of that scene. There's layers of subtext happening. First of all Silva is not necessarily gay at all. He even tells Bond how boring 'all that physical stuff is'. Silva was essentially trying to get into Bonds head. Throughout that whole section and during the shoot-off he was undermining and mocking everything we've come to know about Bond, from his sexuality to his patriotism to his masculinity and relevance.

Of course, Bardem played this perfectly. It was Silva's slightly 'Carry On' impression of the British with some darker undertones. When Bond replied with,'How do you know it's my first time', he wasn't being ambiguous with the audience about his sexuality, he was saying to Silva that his methods aren't going to work. We then see Silva change tact with the rather devastating revelation that M is and has been lying to him. Great, great scene.

AVB wrote: »
    augie7107 wrote: »
    References to homosexuality, like in Skyfall on the island and references that Bond is getting to old for his job, again in Skyfall. Bond, from literary character and movie character portrayals, is decidedly heterosexual and basically indestructible and it should stay that way, in my opinion.

I think you totally missed the point of that scene. There's layers of subtext happening. First of all Silva is not necessarily gay at all. He even tells Bond how boring 'all that physical stuff is'. Silva was essentially trying to get into Bonds head. Throughout that whole section and during the shoot-off he was undermining and mocking everything we've come to know about Bond, from his sexuality to his patriotism to his masculinity and relevance.

Of course, Bardem played this perfectly. It was Silva's slightly 'Carry On' impression of the British with some darker undertones. When Bond replied with,'How do you know it's my first time', he wasn't being ambiguous with the audience about his sexuality, he was saying to Silva that his methods aren't going to work. We then see Silva change tact with the rather devastating revelation that M is and has been lying to him. Great, great scene.
    That is how I saw this whole scene too. Well analyzed. It was one of the best imho.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Silva is gay. Look at his died blonde hair (no straight man with black hair would bleach his hair blonde).....'Spanish queen'. Bardem is a great actor, but his role in Bond was poor......pantomime villain. Le Chiffre is the best baddie of the Craig era by far so far.
  • AVBAVB
    echo wrote: »
    I do think QoS is crying out for a critical reappraisal decades from now, much like OHMSS. Crazy editing aside, it is much more restrained than SF and SP, and there are individual scenes better than anything in SF and SP.

It's one of my favourite Bond films(QoS). People's gripes with largely stem from the fact that it deviates from formula. It doesn't fulfill their nostalgic needs. It surprises me with each viewing actually

As for the topic;

I don't want to ever see Team-MI6 again. M, Q(although I admit he was quite handy in SP), MP and, God forbid, Agent Tanner have really started to grate on me. Bond is best in the field alone, meeting exotic people, occasionally teaming up with an ally like Mathis(may he rest in peace) and Leiter. The constant cuts to this lot take away focus on Bond and what he's doing. He shouldn't need their help.

A sockless Waltz.
    Bond wearing jeans.

Agreed.
    AVB wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I do think QoS is crying out for a critical reappraisal decades from now, much like OHMSS. Crazy editing aside, it is much more restrained than SF and SP, and there are individual scenes better than anything in SF and SP.

It's one of my favourite Bond films(QoS). People's gripes with largely stem from the fact that it deviates from formula. It doesn't fulfill their nostalgic needs. It surprises me with each viewing actually
    I agree with both of you on QoS. It does indeed get better with each viewing. The politics are layered and very interesting to watch. It's highly underrated (almost forgotten by Joe Public and even EON it seems........Greene was not referenced as much as the others in SP).
    The film is great considering the writers strike. Craig's performance is excellent. Greene was a bland villain though......a pussy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Still had the guts to fight though... And a better villain than Silva will ever be.