The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Honestly, I think Roger doesn't get enough love on the Internet.

One's attitude towards Roger's Bond is my snobbery detector :)
    I think IMO he's the one who gets the most love from all the Bond actors. I think he's the magical element that makes his TSWLM and next Bond movies work while they shouldn't.

And well, who else has got a Q&A with fans on his website ? Who's touring UK for public chats ?

PS : And he's the most loved in France for sure (he had also a very good French dubber). Who else got an honorary award from a French awards show for his career ? Well, his French speech was a bit hard to follow when he received it because of his accent, but thanks for the effort Roger :)

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,984
    Well, I grew up with Brosnan, but that means I also loved Moore and Connery. My mum loved Brosnan while my dad was a fan of Moore the most. Most of my family dislikes Craig based on looks, but he has really good films/scripts/action. I don't have him at the top like some do but I still admire him as an actor. Lazenby's the one that I've always felt (and always will feel) comes in last as an actor, but that doesn't mean he wasn't be a good Bond. Just not that great in comparison to the rest - very little charisma, poor delivery of many lines and looking uncomfortable at times. Plus he was dubbed over for a quarter of the film because he was too unconvincing as Sir Hilary Bray. LOL. His only saving graces are his physical ability and his skill in the final scene of OHMSS. However, his acting inexperience really shows - IMO, he pales in comparison to the rest of the cast in actual acting, except that final scene which he was surprisingly good in. If he made more films, though, he probably would be among the best.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, Lazenby is an unknown factor. Perhaps he could have been great
    then again maybe not. Although I thought he did a good job in ohmss ( My
    Favourite film).
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 308
    Maybe some of you have already seen this, but here's Some behind the scenes footage from a BBC report about OP.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/9492
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 308
    Oops double post.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks for that post @Jeffrey. Moore's looking great in that clip....seemed to be enjoying himself.
    its the daily mail so it is made up
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    it's the daily mail so it is made up
    True .How many times has Roger sued them now?

I know you shouldn't see conspiracies everywhere but many stories lately
    seem to be out to hurt his reputation, even a report about his appearance
    On loose women said that he said "Craig was ugly " ! He didn't what he said
    Was Craig " looked like a killer" and he meant it as a compliment.
    Its very hard to bash Moore. He just has that likability. Maybe it's not a trait that 007 should have, but what the hey, he was great as Bond. I too grew up with the Moore era. he's not my favourite Bond by a long way, but I always enjoyed his films, both Bond and other. (Watched The Wild Geese the other day. he's great in that, with a great cast!)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Just saw Roger Moore at "An afternoon with Sir Roger Moore" at Harrogate Theatre. What a legend and so sharp at 88. Standing ovation at the end. Got a signed copy of Bond on Bond too.
    Would Roger, an 88 year old, use the word "awesome"??
    I don't think Roger himself tweets. I thought it was a PR assistant who used Twitter on his behalf?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I don't think Roger himself tweets. I thought it was a PR assistant who used Twitter on his behalf?

Of course, but at least try and sound like its Sir Roger tweeting.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2015 Posts: 45,489

Probably right. Thunderfinger is 97, and doesn t know how a computer works, so he hired me as a PR assistant. He has no clue I constantly make a fool out of him.

Awesome.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    When I saw Roger on Sun he says he doen't tweet (someone asked if he likes modern technology).....he says he doesn't as his shaky hand press all the wrong buttons! Ha ha!
    From fb:

"Q 1 Adam Orford
    Sir Roger, now that Spectre has been released in cinemas, have you seen the movie yet and if so what did you think? Reviews from film critics are all well and good, but what we really need is a review from Bond!

Hello Adam. Yes I saw it last Wednesday at the Everyman in Gerrards Cross, near my office, and think it's the best Bond ever. Huge fun, great action and very enjoyable! "

8-|
    Have to love Roger

:) nice interview.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Saw a music video by the Spice Girls yesterday. It was for a song from the movie, Spiceworld, and featured Sir Rog in his role as Chief, with some pussycat stroking too. Have to say he looked pretty good, considering it was 12 years since he'd done AVTAK.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Roger's Bond movies exist in an entire other dimension to all the others, for me. They are like a shot of dope...

I watch his films for the same sort of fuzzy-warm-kick that I get out of Indy, Back to the Future and Star Wars.

In the land of make-believe 007 adventure, Moore is king.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    As the song said "Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it half as good as you. Baby, you're the best"
  • Moore's such a great guy that he withdrew his foreword to Nikki Van Zyl's book just because he was asked to by the powers that be. If it had been Connery he would have told them to piss off. A weak Bond and a weak man.
  • Moore's such a great guy that he withdrew his foreword to Nikki Van Zyl's book just because he was asked to by the powers that be. If it had been Connery he would have told them to piss off. A weak Bond and a weak man.

You have an interesting interpretation of an Appreciation Thread. But then, naturally, somebody called Scaramanga would dislike Roger Moore.

:)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    As the song said "Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it half as good as you. Baby, you're the best"

I think this song fits the best to Pierce Brosnan, but thats what everyone will say about their James Bond.
    That's the magic of this song

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Szonana wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I think this song fits the best to Pierce Brosnan, but thats what everyone will say about their James Bond.
    That's the magic of this song

Nah, it's Moore through and through.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Jean Claude Van Damme just posted this on Twitter.

• RC7RC7
    A bit fluff, but some Roger loving all the same. The Metro's best Bond rankings (Brozzer in at number 2).

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/04/007-movies-ranking-the-james-bond-actors-from-worst-to-best-5646059/