The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to see Roger getting some respect. :)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Szonana wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    In the land of make-believe 007 adventure, Moore is king.
    As the song said "Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it half as good as you. Baby, you're the best"

I think this song fits the best to Pierce Brosnan, but thats what everyone will say about their James Bond.
    That's the magic of this song

Nah, it's Moore through and through.

Like i said, everyone will say its the song which fits the better to their favorite Bond but anyway Carly who wrote this song for Moore now agrees with me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clotzVO1uBM

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think it fits the Moore era best, because he was probably the most superhuman Bond, and the song sort of suggests that. No vulnerabilities with Moore Bond, except maybe a slight tinge of depression from time to time about Tracy.

I don't see this song fitting Lazenby, Craig or Dalton at all to be honest, given what happens to them in their films. Sort of more vulnerable and bruised.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I think it fits the Moore era best, because he was probably the most superhuman Bond, and the song sort of suggests that. No vulnerabilities with Moore Bond, except maybe a slight tinge of depression from time to time about Tracy.

I don't see this song fitting Lazenby, Craig or Dalton at all to be honest, given what happens to them in their films. Sort of more vulnerable and bruised.

I think she speaks in this song more about a great lover a man who seduces woman like no other. The ultimate ladies man and for me those two are Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery.

She talks about sex appeal and charm in her song and that goes subjective to the Bond you find the sexiest and your sexiest Bond is the same as your favorite.
    So that's what i said its the song everyone likes because its the tribute to Bond as a character and you apply it to your favorite.

Watch this video and tell me if it really doesn't fit all the Bonds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8gzvrsDfE

@Szonana, it is a nice compilation, but I still think this song is all about Moore's Bond at his peak more than any other. Of course I think it can definitely be interpreted to suggest other Bond actors because they all have their moments, but I heard it first when watching the glorious spectacle that is TSWLM, and that film, and this song, captured everything that Bond can be when at his very best - which for me, is in that film.

It is, of course, only my opinion.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It's about Moore's Bond.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,130
    @Szonana, it is a nice compilation, but I still think this song is all about Moore's Bond at his peak more than any other. Of course I think it can definitely be interpreted to suggest other Bond actors because they all have their moments, but I heard it first when watching the glorious spectacle that is TSWLM, and that film, and this song, captured everything that Bond can be when at his very best - which for me, is in that film.

It is, of course, only my opinion.

Sure its a song written for Moore i wont take that and i bet Carly thought of him when she wrote it but its such a great song to describe the character in general that it can fit any Bond.
    The Bond who is your favorite.

The same for you know my name or Thunderball
    You know my name has the bad ass attitude made for Craig but it could be used for any Bond movie with any of the actors and Thunderball is about Connery's sex appeall bit can be used with other Bond actors too

Lyrics wise these( you know my name, Nobody does it better and thunderball ) are the best Bond songs lyrics wise because they are about the Bond character in general instead of being about the film.

Goldfinger and The man with the Golden gun are about their respective villains which make them very interesting as well because they were the only ones about the villain and what makes him so dangerous

and we have three which were focused on describing Bond in general
    Thunderball, Nobody does it better and you know my name, two about the villain and all the others about the film.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Szonana, those three songs (Thunderball, You Know My Name & Nobody Does It Better) are my favourites from the franchise, along with Diamonds Are Forever & Live & Let Die.

-Interestingly, when I think of Thunderball, I instinctively think of Connery. Tough & macho, like the song.
    -When I think of You Know My Name I think of Craig. Grungy (relatively speaking, for Bond) & harder edged, again, like the song.
    -Finally, when I think of Nobody Does It Better, I think of Moore (smooth, softer & more mellow), once more, like the song itself.

I guess I always associate the songs with the respective Bond in the films, and they do reflect the characteristics of the actor strangely.

Of course, they can apply to the character as well, and EON do in fact use Nobody Does It Better often in their documentaries because it does reflect the best attributes of the character.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    A bit fluff, but some Roger loving all the same. The Metro's best Bond rankings (Brozzer in at number 2).

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/04/007-movies-ranking-the-james-bond-actors-from-worst-to-best-5646059/

Dalton at six,Craig at five, Brosnan at two, are we supposed to take this seriously?

Still nice to see some love for Moore, of course.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Szonana, those three songs (Thunderball, You Know My Name & Nobody Does It Better) are my favourites from the franchise, along with Diamonds Are Forever & Live & Let Die.

-Interestingly, when I think of Thunderball, I instinctively think of Connery. Tough & macho, like the song.
    -When I think of You Know My Name I think of Craig. Grungy (relatively speaking, for Bond) & harder edged, again, like the song.
    -Finally, when I think of Nobody Does It Better, I think of Moore (smooth, softer & more mellow), once more, like the song itself.

I guess I always associate the songs with the respective Bond in the films, and they do reflect the characteristics of the actor strangely.

Of course, they can apply to the character as well, and EON do in fact use Nobody Does It Better often in their documentaries because it does reflect the best attributes of the character.

Now that you mention so yes each songs reflect well the era of each actor.

But only those three( Thunderball, You know my name and Nobody does it better are about the character the others are more about the plot of their respective films with again the exceptions of the man with the Golden Gun and Goldfinger which are about the villain.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    FYEO and OP also seem a bit more fitting for Moore but really work for all of the Bond's. Nobody Does It Better is distinctly Roger Moore, though, just as Thunderball is distinctly Connery and You Know My Name is distinctly Craig, as others have said. For Dalton, I think Licence to Kill works quite well, and for Brosnan, maybe The World Is Not Enough?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I agree.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Think this is the correct place for this, Sir Rog wins Foie Gras battle.....

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/460293/Roger-Moore-celebrates-foie-gras-win
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Way to go, Roger!
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I was watching True Detective 2 tonight. I'm enjoying it so far (I realize it hasn't gone down well with most).

In the middle of Episode 4, Vince Vaughn, who is playing a gangster, questions one of his minions, who he thinks may be betraying him. The minion plays it cool and doesn't panic under questioning.

Vince's character then says: "You got this Roger Moore thing, huh? Johnny Unflappable."

At first I wasn't sure if I heard it right so I had to replay it. Brought a smile to my face. 31 years after he left the role, Sir Rog is still referenced for being cool as a cucumber.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    That's very nice to hear :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,416
    Deze Donderdag (21 April 2016) om 20.00 Nederlandse tijd kan je kijken naar CAR S.O.S op National Geographic naar een interview met Roger Moore over zijn auto uit The Saint.

Handig om te weten: In Nederland is deze zender is zowel anoloog als digitaal te bekijken en voorzien van Nederlandse ondertitels.

English:

This Thursday (21 April 2016) at 20.00 Dutch time (07.00 PM UK time) on National Geographic you see interview with Roger Moore about his car from The Saint in program CAR S.O.S.

Preview
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    "Oiks from Manchester or somewhere". Haha. Got to love Sir Rog's humour.
    Roger Moore was my first Bond, so I got to know the cinematic character through him.

One thing that always pops up, is his age near the end of his outings. Well, Moore was 46 when he started, Connery was 41 in DAF. I was quite amazed when I learned that: I find Moore "preserves" very well - compare Connery in NSNA with Moore in OP. Connery is 3 years younger, but you'd never say it. The fact that his age is mostly brought up for OP and AVTAK is actually to his credit - it means his age is not really an issue at 54, for FYEO. No other actor by far did an official Bond at that age, so kudos, Roger Moore!

Secondly, I find Roger Moore the most consistent Bond-actor in the entire franchise. They have sent the man everywhere, even into space, and the movies vary greatly in quality, but he always gives us the same flegmatic, unbaffled Bond. And I think that's an asset: it's the one stable constant that guides the public through whatever mayhem occurs.

What I do see evolving in his Bond, is the concern for other characters. Up to FYEO, Bond is all playfulness, but he shows some real concern for Melinda Havelock, Vijay in OP and Stacey Sutton in AVTAK. He looks serious when he kicks Locque's car of the cliffs, but I never saw him more serious in AVTAK:

ZORIN: "That's rather neat. Don't you think?"
    BOND: "Brilliant. I'm almost speechless with admiration."
    ZORIN: "Intuitive improvisation is the secret of genius."
    BOND: "Herr Doktor Mortner will be proud of his creation."

It's always easy to criticize in hindsight, knowing who and what followed. But I think Roger Moore did an excellent job in keeping the character alive, dealing with extremely varying settings and moods, and scripts strongly ranging in quality. And in helping the franchise survive its second decade, contending with Star Wars, Rocky, Dirty Harry and the likes. And still letting the public accept a new Bond after Connery. So thank you, Sir Roger Moore, for doing quite more than your bit.
    Roger Moore was my first Bond, so I got to know the cinematic character through him.

One thing that always pops up, is his age near the end of his outings. Well, Moore was 46 when he started, Connery was 41 in DAF. I was quite amazed when I learned that: I find Moore "preserves" very well - compare Connery in NSNA with Moore in OP. Connery is 3 years younger, but you'd never say it. The fact that his age is mostly brought up for OP and AVTAK is actually to his credit - it means his age is not really an issue at 54, for FYEO. No other actor by far did an official Bond at that age, so kudos, Roger Moore!

Secondly, I find Roger Moore the most consistent Bond-actor in the entire franchise. They have sent the man everywhere, even into space, and the movies vary greatly in quality, but he always gives us the same flegmatic, unbaffled Bond. And I think that's an asset: it's the one stable constant that guides the public through whatever mayhem occurs.

What I do see evolving in his Bond, is the concern for other characters. Up to FYEO, Bond is all playfulness, but he shows some real concern for Melinda Havelock, Vijay in OP and Stacey Sutton in AVTAK. He looks serious when he kicks Locque's car of the cliffs, but I never saw him more serious in AVTAK:

It's always easy to criticize in hindsight, knowing who and what followed. But I think Roger Moore did an excellent job in keeping the character alive, dealing with extremely varying settings and moods, and scripts strongly ranging in quality. And in helping the franchise survive its second decade, contending with Star Wars, Rocky, Dirty Harry and the likes. And still letting the public accept a new Bond after Connery. So thank you, Sir Roger Moore, for doing quite more than your bit.

He's also the most personable of the Bond actors - I think he'd be the one I'd get on on with the most.
    I was a Moore fan as a kid watching repeats of The Saint after school. So also
    grew up with him as Bond. It was always an "Event" watching Bond in the Cinema
    in the 70s, I still remember the excitement on seeing TSWLM for the first time.
  • Being born in 1962, I wasn't able to watch most of The Saint, but I was able to watch The Persuaders!, which he was very good in and probably made a strong case for him being Bond as Connery gave up the role.

@dogrowup007 Agreed with pretty much all of this. It's great to hear fellow Moore fans speak on the man himself, and when he was serious, Moore was indeed a convincing actor (moreso than Brosnan, in my opinion).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Well said. Heartily agree with that.
  • I see Sir Rog was at the Palace yesterday (as was Gemma Arterton) with the Prince of Wales to help celebrate the 40th anniversary of the founding of that splendid charity, the Prince's Trust. Looking very good, ramrod straight and ready for one more mission.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes I saw that photo. He was definitely looking the business.
    Great to see Sir Roger looking so fit and well. :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Szonana wrote: »
    Like i said, everyone will say its the song which fits the better to their favorite Bond but anyway Carly who wrote this song for Moore now agrees with me
    Sorry @Szonana, but the song was in fact composed by Marvin Hamlisch with lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager and not Carly Simon. I can even remember when Carole Bayer Sager made her Top of the Pops appearance back in early 77 and it was announced by one the DJs that she'd co-written a song for the new Bond movie. That's when we used to know who was singing the new Bond song well in advance.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    royale65 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting @royale65.

Indeed, a man of class & a legend.

Love the comment 'you shouldn't see the acting'. That's exactly right when it comes to Bond, and Moore had it down pat
  • Big Bond turn out at Stoke Park in Buckinghamshire last night for a Bond themed charity gala for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards.

Along with Big Phil was Dame Judi Dench, Naomie Harris, Joanna Lumley, David Arnold, Michael Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and, of course, Sir Roger Moore. Sounds like it was a fun night.