The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've seen some of the photos, it looked to have been a fun event. :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Samantha Bond, Colin Salmon, and Goldie were there, too. It's great to see that the producers are on such excellent terms with people they've worked with in the past.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's interesting to see the same people - Moore, Dench, Harris, Salmon - who are so supportive of the franchise.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,151
    The Duke Of Edinburgh Awards are an amazing franchise. Both my sons have taken part, my 15 year old has just completed his Silver, with my older son, who is 17, just finishing his gold award. Very proud that they have taken part in this and to see it supported by such alumni is fantastic. I saw a clip of Sir Rog arriving and the Bond them was played. Wonderful.
    Sad news about Roger Moore's step daughter dying. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

• Now this is more like it! A Roger Moore Film Festival on 16 October at The Stanley Hall.

What tremendous taste all those attending must have.

http://www.stanleyhalls.org.uk/events/roger-moore-film-festival/
  • I was watching AVTAK the other night and it was during one of the few bits I enjoy (Zorin's conversation with the captured Bond after the horse chase) that I remembered something that I think @Getafix said on here. He's unfairly remembered as the comedy Bond but, despite the quips, the genius of Moore is how he made you buy into the absurdity by playing it completely straight. Take that conversation with Zorin, or any of his villains. He's stern. Proffessional. Even if he's on a space station being restrained by a man with metal teeth, he acts like a spy who's just been found out. When the shit hits the fan, he gets serious, and there's no winking to the camera or laughing at the absurtity of the situation or some fourth wall breaking comment about here we go again. He plays it straight. And it works because it makes the situations he's in seem all the more credible. You could put Brosnan in a Connery film, Connery in a Craig film, Craig in a Dalton film, etc, and it'd work. But I honestly believe that only Moore could pull off his scripts. He could make you buy into anything no matter how OTT.
    I met Sir Roger about 5 years ago..charming man..
    This photo shows Roger Moore as James Bond and Simon Templar. How weird is that?

CrEi-9dUIAAHMHR.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder if it was on purpose, or if his halo just popped up out of habit.
    :))
    Just follows him around.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    NicNac wrote: »
    This photo shows Roger Moore as James Bond and Simon Templar. How weird is that?

CrEi-9dUIAAHMHR.jpg
    Now this is James Bond! That's a great scene.

I'm a bit surprised to see what appears to be recessed pot lights in that shot. I didn't think they were in common use at that time.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    A most saintly encounter!
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    You could put Brosnan in a Connery film, Connery in a Craig film, Craig in a Dalton film, etc, and it'd work. But I honestly believe that only Moore could pull off his scripts.

True, that's why ive always said if we talk about being original no one did this better than Roger Moore.

Roger Moore does stand out, in a good way.
    I think Pierce would have done ok in a Roger film. He added a lightness to some scenes in his own films that would have suited the Moore era.

Not as well as Roger of course, because there IS only one Roger Moore. But you know, Brozzer is definitely next on the list for natural successor to the great man.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    NicNac wrote: »
    I think Pierce would have done ok in a Roger film. He added a lightness to some scenes in his own films that would have suited the Moore era.

Not as well as Roger of course, because there IS only one Roger Moore. But you know, Brozzer is definitely next on the list for natural successor to the great man.

Pierce was different, while he was able to deliver the quips and had a natural suave and very charming personality he was more like an action hero. Someone like Danny Ocean with a gun or better said Thomas Crown with a gun.

Roger Approach was mych more comedic, he had a completely different tone than everyone else so im not sure Pierce would have fit in a Moore film.
    So when people mention Pierce was a combination of his predecessors i think the one he resembled the most was Pierce he had a bit of the other two but i felt the biggest influence on Sean Connery and even more knowing Sean was highly considered for the Original Thomas Crown along Faye Dunaway.

Thinking Pierce and Could have had two characters in common makes me think of Pierce being highly influenced on Sean's acting style.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,442
    After first two volumes with each of them 4 discs (i only own volume 1 with first 12 episodes) and complete 8 disc boxset released both by Memphis Belle. I discover today that Just Entertainment re-release Persuaders (de versierders) again on dvd as 6 disc set. The back cover claimd it get DD 5.1 audio.

9200000062200665.jpg

There was a time that Just Entertainment whas known as Just Bridge Entertainment, a mix of them and Bridge Entertainment. This last studio re-release and re-released earlier 12 episodes of The Saint S5. But Just Entertainment can be taken more serious because are also one who release a lot of other British tv series like Luther and there are studio who release Fleming and The Hour.

Of course i hope it mean there also wil release Season 3, 4, 5 and 6 of The Saint.
    In Norway, the Persuaders was called Gullguttene /The Golden Boys. In Sweden it was Snobbar som jobbar/Working Snobs.
    In Norway, the Persuaders was called Gullguttene /The Golden Boys. In Sweden it was Snobbar som jobbar/Working Snobs.

That must have pulled in the viewers..

Happy Birthday to my favourite Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Happy Birthday Sir Roger, he was on so often in our house growing up, he became
    a member of the family. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Happy Birthday Sir Rog!
    huFOUrpm.jpg
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    A happy birthday to Sir Rog. He is my favourite Bond and TSWLM stands out as my top 007 adventure. I am hoping to see him in Southport in November on his tour, I have the tickets anyway, just need to sort out something else as I am double booked. I know what I'd rather do.

Anyway, to me he's a legend and it's great that he still goes strong with his tours etc at 89. An inspiration.
    89 today isn't it?

Continued proof that Bonds never die, they just grow old disgracefully.

Happy birthday Sir Roger.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Here is a fun photo, but I cannot post it other than a link to it:
    Never seen that, what a great photograph! You have to smile at Roger's face.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Happy Birthday to the man, the myth, the legend!

Long Live Sir Roger!