The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Happy birthday to Sir Rog! My favorite Bond!
    Happy birthday ROGER MOORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Happy birthday to Sir Roger, quite possibly my favouritist human being out there.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    logo_campus_256_web_fbl.jpg

Happy Birthday..

London in 1927 vs London in 2013
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Happy birthday Sir Roger.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Happy Birthday Sir Rog!

I hope you stop by here from time to time to see what a loyal fanbase you have.

I'll be watching one of your non-Bond classics in your honour tonight sir. Probably The Sea Wolves.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Many happy returns Sir Roger Moore. My favorite Bond.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 7,653
    Happy birthday you Saintly man.

Some wisdom from the great man himself.
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/roger-moore-is-89-his-life-in-quotes-104121501.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

“Of course, I do my own stunts. And I also do my own lying.”
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Happy Birthday to the legend Sir Roger Moore! So many years of endless entertainment that I am forever grateful for. Nobody does it better!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You re a funny Bond, Mr Moore.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    You're a funny Moore, Mr. Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Funny a Moore Mister, Bond you're.
    Moore is the only Bond I would label as fun. Big part of why he was so popular, and still is. Connery and Craig have their funny moments, but it isn t a central part of their portrayal. If you want to have fun, a Moore film is what you put on.
    On a seperate note, illiteracy rates are skyrocketing.
    Moore is the only Bond I would label as fun. Big part of why he was so popular, and still is. Connery and Craig have their funny moments, but it isn t a central part of their portrayal. If you want to have fun, a Moore film is what you put on.
    Indeed, and he was fun at a time when films tended to be quite dour and downbeat from what I can see, at least in the 70's.
    jake24 wrote: »
    On a seperate note, illiteracy rates are skyrocketing.
    Indeed. A new galaxy was discovered due to the strongly growing rates.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Roger Moore is the only actor who completely re-invented Bond, he is an icon.
    Very true considering the specific choices he made as to not imitate Sean. He, even more than any of the others, brought his own take on the role and played it completely different than what had gone before.
    Sean Connery was the sunrise.

Roger Moore was the Midday Sun,in all its radiant life-giving glory, warming us all.

Pierce Brosnan was the sunset. I mean the death of Bond. Daniel Craig was the new sunset, the reincarnation.
    Reincarnation of the death of Bond?
    Daniel Craig was the new sunset, the reincarnation.

Sundown you mean, each movie looked better but offered less and yet tried desperately to mimic all that was done better before.

Sir Rog did the impossible and inhabited the role as fully as Sean - and almost made audiences forget about his predecessor.

A great Bond.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Sir Rog did the impossible and inhabited the role as fully as Sean - and almost made audiences forget about his predecessor.

A great Bond.

Tell that to some of the older fans who grew up with Connery and don't like Moore.

There are a few on here.

I agree though that Moore definitely stepped out of Connery's shadow by TSWLM and "became" Bond.

It's his confidence that's key. He rarely seemed self-conscious or uncomfortable. Though part of me wonders whether he was just playing himself (or his persona) with a bit of Bond sprinkled on.

A great Bond.
    +1. Connery and Moore are Bond gods as far as I'm concerned. My 2nd favourite Bond only because he stayed on too long.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 7,653
    For me Connery & Moore are the two sides of the 007 coin, the rest is them in parts and the more recent ones have been hampered by directors and EON who want more appreciation for their efforts as in Oscars and whatnot and they are actually fouling up the franchise with pretentious snobbery which is great for 007 to be but I am really looking forward to a mission where 007 actually does his job without getting personal.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    For me Connery & Moore are the two sides of the 007 coin, the rest is them in parts and the more recent ones have been hampered by directors and EON who want more appreciation for their efforts as in Oscars and whatnot and they are actually fouling up the franchise with pretentious snobbery which is great for 008 to be but I am really looking forward to a mission where 007 actually does his job without getting personal.
    +1
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think at that point (early 70s) it was certainly possible to totally re-invent a character like Bond. But there is only so much you can do to re-invent James Bond. No new actor can do something with it now without it reminding others of a previous actor. The role is too restraining for that.

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    It's his confidence that's key. He rarely seemed self-conscious or uncomfortable. Though part of me wonders whether he was just playing himself (or his persona) with a bit of Bond sprinkled on.

Maybe but you could argue that about all the Bond actors. A bit of themselves, their personal touch, and a bit of Bond. Although maybe a little less applicable for Craig.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If you are in the UK and working from home, or on holiday or whatever, Roger Moore is being interviewed on 'This Morning' on ITV in around 10 minutes time.
    bondjames wrote: »

A great Bond.
    +1. Connery and Moore are Bond gods as far as I'm concerned. My 2nd favourite Bond only because he stayed on too long.

I'm with you on that. For me, when asked the traditional question: "who is your favorite Bond?" -it's really a tie between the two. Then I have to actually think about how I'd rank the others.
    Although Tim was the first new James Bond in my lifetime, I can distinctly remember what it was like when the general public only compared Sean and Roger. Poor George was rarely mentioned then usually dismissed in conversation.
    Connery and Moore's eras are the benchmark by which I usually compare any new film in terms of overall enjoyment.