The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

I would have loved to have seen this show.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I had the pleasure of enjoying Sir Roger's show at King's Theatre in Glasgow this afternoon. A wonderful experience. If you're a fan of his, don't miss it.

After the show, I managed to get my SE DVD of FYEO signed by the man! Couldn't be happier. :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You're darn lucky, @gt007. My applause to you, sir!
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I saw him in Aberdeen on Thursday night. He tried to do a local accent! He does seem frail on his feet but at one point he gave us an example of how modern comedians annoy him by constantly moving around the stage - he got up from his chair and demonstrated with some agility. He also ad-libbed when a scheduled audience question was missed due to, according to his mates, the questioner having gone to the loo - "I hope he washed his hands..." said Sir Roger as the microphone was passed around the theatre!
    The show ended with a wonderful piece from Sir Roger about his work with UNICEF. The first part concentrates on his pre-Bond career and was actually very interesting and filled with funny stories. I'm not sure I learned anything new about his Bond run (the "Egyptian builders" story being the exception) but when he delivers THAT line on stage, you know you've just had an evening to remember. Terrific and the show in Aberdeen ran for nearly three hours.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,182
    You're darn lucky, @gt007. My applause to you, sir!
    Thanks, @ClarkDevlin. Initially I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get a chance to ask him a question during the Q&A. But the autograph changed that completely! :)

gumbolt wrote: »
    I saw him in Aberdeen on Thursday night. He tried to do a local accent! He does seem frail on his feet but at one point he gave us an example of how modern comedians annoy him by constantly moving around the stage - he got up from his chair and demonstrated with some agility. He also ad-libbed when a scheduled audience question was missed due to, according to his mates, the questioner having gone to the loo - "I hope he washed his hands..." said Sir Roger as the microphone was passed around the theatre!
    The show ended with a wonderful piece from Sir Roger about his work with UNICEF. The first part concentrates on his pre-Bond career and was actually very interesting and filled with funny stories. I'm not sure I learned anything new about his Bond run (the "Egyptian builders" story being the exception) but when he delivers THAT line on stage, you know you've just had an evening to remember. Terrific and the show in Aberdeen ran for nearly three hours.
    Indeed, it's a truly unique and outstanding moment to hear the line from the man himself, standing just a few feet in front of you.

I wouldn't say he seems frail on his feet though. On the contrary, I was impressed by how well he's holding up. For an 89-year-old he seems really well. God bless him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    gt007 wrote: »
    After the show, I managed to get my SE DVD of FYEO signed by the man! Couldn't be happier. :D
    Congratulations! Great stuff.

Meeting Sir Roger Moore would be a dream come true for me. I've been a huge fan for as long as I can remember.
    He is very charming...no different than on screen @gt007
  • gt007 wrote: »

Full marks to you , sir. You mustve been very lucky , based on my experience at Wolverhampton, where he signed for nobody after the show. I have also seen a few photos from the meet & greet. Just looked like Sir Roger sat at a table only signing the programme. For that money I would've wanted a proper Bond photo signed. Didn't look like he stood up to do a photo either.
    To be fair @MrBenn ,at his age his not going to be getting up and sitting down constantly..i think to meet him,shake his hand and get a signing is generous of him.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Thank you, gentlemen. :)

@MrBenn, it is indeed a shame he doesn't do photographs. But I do agree with @barryt007. At his age it would be at least difficult for him. I was fortunate enough to be in London in October 2012, where he did a book signing for Bond on Bond. It was exactly as you described; Sir Rog sitting behind a table, signing copies of the book. My friend managed to grab a picture of him signing my copy, but nothing more than that. Well, except for his comment on my attire, which was another brilliant highlight of my life as a Bond fan.
    I had the same and i shook his hand @gt007 ,and he wrote a personal dedication to me and my daughter ...what did he say about your attire ??
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I had the same and i shook his hand @gt007 ,and he wrote a personal dedication to me and my daughter ...what did he say about your attire ??
    How very nice. Does your daughter like Sir Rog too?

When he saw the t-shirt he said "That's me!". I mumbled something like "Of course" and he replied "Very nice".

In itself it is a trivial exchange, but the idea that the great man himself commented on a t-shirt depicting him is wonderful.
    gt007 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    How very nice. Does your daughter like Sir Rog too?

When he saw the t-shirt he said "That's me!". I mumbled something like "Of course" and he replied "Very nice".

In itself it is a trivial exchange, but the idea that the great man himself commented on a t-shirt depicting him is wonderful.

She does....looks like we both had a nice personal moment with a Bond legend @gt007

• A little odd to see this story featuring quite heavily on the Sky News website:

news.sky.com/story/sir-roger-moore-hasnt-ruled-out-appearing-in-future-james-bond-movie-10674964

It's just Rog being Rog.

I was watching AVTAK the other night and it was during one of the few bits I enjoy (Zorin's conversation with the captured Bond after the horse chase) that I remembered something that I think @Getafix said on here. He's unfairly remembered as the comedy Bond but, despite the quips, the genius of Moore is how he made you buy into the absurdity by playing it completely straight.

His Bond was kind of like Wests Batman where he focused on the preposdterous things about Bond : for a secret agent he sure was well known , etc.

• Nice to see Rog and Dame Judi Dench put in a brief appearance on that Phillip Meets Prince Philip programme last night. I'm not quite sure how he does it, but the 20 seconds that Sir Roger was on the screen were dominated by an innuendo involving keeping his eyebrow up.

Heck, even his name is an innuendo.

Moore at 89, and Prince Philip at 95, still going strong, and still keeping the British end up.
    Hear hear !!
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    A little odd to see this story featuring quite heavily on the Sky News website:

news.sky.com/story/sir-roger-moore-hasnt-ruled-out-appearing-in-future-james-bond-movie-10674964

It's just Rog being Rog.

Sir Roger can play Mr Craig's Grandpa in Bond No 25. The resemblances between the two are striking! ......not! ha ha!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Philip Schofield (referring to Moore's 'eyebrow acting') asked if he could still get it up.

Naturally Roger being Roger asked if Schofield would like to rephrase that.

Superb.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Just watching Sir Roger in 'Gold'...made the same year as TMWTGG...he looks a lot more relaxed in this film than the Bond flick...
  • Interesting article in this morning's Times about Sir Roger Moore speaking out against the use of animals in circuses. He has written an open letter to Theresa May on the subject, dropping Bondian references throughout:

"Wild animals in real life must feel as if they've been captured by the fictional Dr No. When they're not being forced to perform confusing tricks under threat of the whip they're chained up or tied down. Until a ban is imposed, Britain continues to say 'Roll up, roll up' to abuse. Madam Prime Minister, it's time - past time - to do the right thing and finally bring in a ban on this outdated form of so-called entertainment. I will put in a bottle of Dom Perignon '52 or Bollinger '69 on ice for the occasion and gladly pop the cork with you."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger Moore stands up for the weak and innocent, children and animals.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Can't expect anything less from the Saint himself. Almost 90 years old and he's still getting the job done. Excellent for him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Interesting article in this morning's Times about Sir Roger Moore speaking out against the use of animals in circuses. He has written an open letter to Theresa May on the subject, dropping Bondian references throughout:

"Wild animals in real life must feel as if they've been captured by the fictional Dr No. When they're not being forced to perform confusing tricks under threat of the whip they're chained up or tied down. Until a ban is imposed, Britain continues to say 'Roll up, roll up' to abuse. Madam Prime Minister, it's time - past time - to do the right thing and finally bring in a ban on this outdated form of so-called entertainment. I will put in a bottle of Dom Perignon '52 or Bollinger '69 on ice for the occasion and gladly pop the cork with you."

He's still recovering from this terrifying episode:
    1hc5y4.gif

In all seriousness, good on ya Sir Rog.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Interesting article in this morning's Times about Sir Roger Moore speaking out against the use of animals in circuses. He has written an open letter to Theresa May on the subject, dropping Bondian references throughout:

Obviously Rog is very dedicated to this cause (his fois-gras campaign video is hard-hitting) but I have to admit I feel a little uneasy about the use of Bond references in a letter that addresses a serious issue like this. I seems rather inappropriate and feels like they were included purely for PR purposes and to make newspaper readers smile.
  • A little mention of Moore in this morning's Times (Diary section) quoting the actor Sanjeev Bhaskar's comments published in the Waitrose Magazine. Bhaskar was a huge fan of Bond as a child (he would be great in any upcoming Bond film, actually) and his hero was Roger Moore. He apparently loved Live And Let Die, it was the first Bond film he had seen in the cinema, and he enjoyed it so much that he stayed behind in the auditorium to watch it for a second time.

'When Bhaskar later met Moore, he told him of his devotion. Roger paused, and pretended to look cross. "You owe me £4.50," he demanded.'
    Hahaha typical Sir Roger !!

And I agree,Bhaskar would be good in a Bond film .

Btw I love your profile name,a nice nod to Alan Partridge in his Bond Marathon episode....classic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, circuses are one of Roger's specialities. Though I think he's far more knowledgable about defusing bombs at them than training animals for entertainment.
    Living legend. Undoubtedly my favourite Bond actor, if not my favourite Bond.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    Hahaha typical Sir Roger !!

And I agree,Bhaskar would be good in a Bond film .

Btw I love your profile name,a nice nod to Alan Partridge in his Bond Marathon episode....classic.

The Partridge Bond episode is superb. I also love the fact that Alan had a photograph of Roger Moore on a side table at his room at the Travel Tavern. He would fit in well in this thread!

I could certainly see Sanjeev Bhaskar working at MI6. Sounds as if that would be a childhood dream come true for the actor. He still owes Rog £4.50, though. We can't let that slip.