Thomas Newman (stay/go)

Comments

DrGorner wrote: »
    Usually sounds like " Why haven't you put the bin out"
    " Why do I look so fat". " You don't love me any more " ....
    ..... That kind of thing. :D

=))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Go, please... His music doesn't do it for me give or take a hand full of tracks. He doesn't understand the Bond sound as others as mentioned and couldn't care less if he used the Bond theme or not as he was forced to use it more In Skyfall. It's time for someone new to come along or bring David Arnold back. At least his scores were memorable and filled with heart and soul.
  • RC7RC7
    Some of the music in the context of the film is great. The first time we see Hinx, for example, is superb. On a side note I had a picture with Newman on the red carpet and he seemed like a really, really nice bloke. Quite a rarity for someone to be so friendly in that situation.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Yes he seems a really nice guy. He's excellent at introverted material, but he isn't a natural fit when it comes to scoring bravura Bond action (plus seems noticably uncomfortable doing so). In answer to the original question - "Go" and let someone else have a whirl.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In a word? Go.
  • Newman should stay. His scores have been a breath of fresh air for the series. Bring on the hat trick!!
    Go.

Easily the weakest link of SPECTRE, and second only to John Logan as the weakest link on Skyfall.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Go.

Easily the weakest link of SPECTRE, and second only to John Logan as the weakest link on Skyfall.
    Thank you.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I enjoyed his score for SF, but so much of it seemed to be reused for Spectre.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Newman should stay. His scores have been a breath of fresh air for the series. Bring on the hat trick!!

Controversial!

SF wasn't too bad at all but I think you meant to say 'a breath of stale air' regarding SP.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 824
    I saw the film this morning and Newman's score is excellent. He should be offered Bond 25 regardless of whether Mendes directs.
  • DariusDarius UK
    After two Newman scores, I think it's time to give someone else a go. I have nothing against Newman, or Arnold for that matter, but I just feel another hand would add more variety and freshness to the music. I think that Newman's score for SP was good, but I couldn't help thinking that he was simply serving up "more of the same" of what we got in SF.

I was sad when Barry departed the fold a couple of times, but looking back, Bill Conti's score for FYEO added whole new dimensions to the 007 repertoire. The use of big band horns, synths and electric guitars added a new dimension to Bond that had been hitherto unexplored, except in the famous "James Bond Theme".

I would welcome a composer that could contribute to the writing of the title song in the way that Barry did, so that the main theme could be used as a leitmotif throughout the movie. this, I think, helps to give the movie a stronger identity and reinforces various themes that run throughout, depending on how the leitmotif is arranged.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AceHole wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Newman is a talented composer, but I don't think he " gets" Bond.
    While Arnold, seems to know ( only my opinion) what is needed in
    a Bond film, when to have soft reflective music and when to belt out
    a fantastic action set piece.

An understatement if ever there was one.
    I'd go one further - he doesn't CARE about Bond, either, besides just not 'getting' it.

David Arnold lacked the talent to construct layered scores with subtle orchestration, but he could never be accused of not CARING.

I would say he has a Grammy on his shelf that says otherwise:

56th+GRAMMY+Awards+Pre+Telecast+lwut4QjQ7qjl.jpg

What have you proven here, exactly, other than the fact you attach too much importance to populist awards?

I think it suggests that the score was NOT mailed in. If it had been, it would have sucked...and people in the know would have seen it that way.

From what I have heard, I don't like the SP score as much...but then again, I didn't like the SF score (as a whole) at first, either.

Newman's music isn't for everyone. I love it, actually. He hasn't done a score yet that didn't find thoroughly engaging...even the themes for Revolutionary Road and Little Children, films about suburban hell, are damn good. I think I like Newman for Bond because the music is personally atmospheric. It's not grandiose.

It's somewhat like Desplat's music for Zero Dark Thirty. I mean, here's a war film, where you think the music will be big and booming, and it's not. This piece is quite stirring:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I remember that tune for Zero Dark Thirty @TripAces. I remember thinking, in the theatre when watching this, that Desplat is a man who could do Bond justice.

That piece is quite a bit more orchestral than what Newman came up with (and I don't mind Newman either although I think Desplat would do a better job personally) and more suitable for us fans who long for more of a Barry sound.

It breathes and is suspenseful with a melody that's quite memorable. Takes me back.....listening to it again. There are definite elements of Barry's Zulu soundtrack in Desplat's work for Zero Dark Thirty.
    I'd like to see someone new. I like newman's sp score and how tgenes from sf are used but with a different sound, but we need something new for the next one, barry esque hopefully
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,436
    He re-using some of elements from ''adjustment bureau'' for Skyfall like ''The Girl on the Buss'' and ''The Illusion of Free Will''. That last one inspiration for Grand Bazaar and first when Q made mistake/Silva escape and Shanghai. Also ''New Leaf'' he re-using some cues but les then with two others tracks.

Push on 12:31 to lissen to The Illusion of Free Will.

Pro David Arnold is that he is English and at titlesong in the score or don't mind it to co-writing title song or look to earlier scores. Personaly i whas finished with his to much re-use of Twine bank scene/boat chase. For Narnia 3 he also re-using Twine music.

But with QOS it whas more refreshing then last two with DAD and CR. Exept boat chase/techno parts. I hoped with David Arnold not making music for Bond he get other big projects and then return to Bond. He also not comingback for Independence Day 2 and 3.

Best parts of music so far from Spectre are in teaser trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1cR6DQo7s and trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDaET-JweU who sound more David Arnold to me.

My first view Skyfall i give music 8/10 in movie and outside the movie 7/10. Later on i change this in 7/10 and 6/10. David Arnold is more like OHMSS, Octopussy and TLD John Barry and Bill Conti's FYEO, whyle newman is like Norman/Barry DR No or FRWL/TMWTGG John Barry or boring John Barry from Moonraker or Goldfinger/Thunderball.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    TB is one of my favourite soundtracks, so I have to disagree there.

As for Newman, he seems terribly disinterested and brings nothing outside of some decent action cues. Give Arnold one more go and if he fails, then bring in new blood.
  • Arnold has had five attempts. Enough is enough!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I never liked Newman's work for SF and dreaded him returning but some people were adamant he was working with a handicapped orchestra and blah blah and now look; the man reheats his SF score and adds a bit of forgettable flavour and lazy sauce to it. If Mendes comes back, it's likely Newman will too but that doesn't negate the fact that I want him gone.
  • RC7RC7
    Out of interest, did anyone else enjoy the opening track? When he steps out onto the ledge and swaggers his way down to position, I got a real thrill.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    Out of interest, did anyone else enjoy the opening track? When he steps out onto the ledge and swaggers his way down to position, I got a real thrill.

I did. The music for the pts was quite good but I still prefer African rundown and time to get out.
  • Firstly, huge pat on the back for Mendes - it's quite clear he loves the franchise and in these two films he's really put his oar in. You only need to listen to the SF commentary to know he cares big time about trying his best to get it right for the movie and the franchise.

Newman is obviously his guy on scores and yes, I think they come as a package. A lot of 'auteurs' use the same composer (Spielberg-Williams, Fellini-Rota etc) so if you want Mendes for B25 you're getting Newman.

Big question - would you trade a Newman score for a Mendes Bond?

Personally, I think Sam has probably had his fill - he's a busy guy and involved in a lot of projects and will probably want to do other stuff.

B25, I'd like a new team. No disrespect to Sam but I think it's time for a fresh look. If SP does really well, obviously the finance guys will panic and want to stick

I thought the Newman score for SP fairly underwhelming and I don't think he is that into Bond or 'gets it'. The absence of the Bond theme for a major moment was disappointing (well, the very end scene...).

Arnold does indeed love the franchise (and Barry) and understands what the score should be aiming for. He hits more than he misses and in writing the theme for CR was able to weave it into the score (always a winning move like Barry) - I still hum that and think of it still as DC'S 'theme'.

If Mendes says he wants to finish what could effectively now be a trilogy then I'd take it (along with Newman) but my first choice would be a grandstand showdown between Craig's Bond and ESB with a new director and composer
    Arnold has had five attempts. Enough is enough!!

Newman has two, technically 1 and a half since he heavily recycled his own material. Enough is enough.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Mallory wrote: »
    I really like Newman's Skyfall and Spectre scores.

Spectre's score is kind of a refinement of the Skyfall score, and the new cues he had added are pretty good. Yes, I would have liked more Bond theme but you can't have it both ways I suppose.

Agreed with all this But I vote Arnold back.
    I would like to see a new composer for the next film. Newman's scores are good...........but even after watching SP..............i can't recall a single of his themes in my head. I think that says it all about the music............and not my head! :))
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I would like to see a new composer for the next film. Newman's scores are good...........but even after watching SP..............i can't recall a single of his themes in my head. I think that says it all about the music............and not my head! :))
    Well said, sir. :))
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Murdock wrote: »

Newman has two, technically 1 and a half since he heavily recycled his own material. Enough is enough.

Claiming only half of SP's score is recycled is grossly exaggerating. Enough with that s---.
    Murdock wrote: »

Claiming only half of SP's score is recycled is grossly exaggerating. Enough with that s---.
    Okay more like a quarter big whoop. It still stank. time for a new composer who can compose good memorable music.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Let's get Eric Serra back!
    Let's get Eric Serra back!
    Now we're talking.
    :-bd