Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Looking at Wiki, Skyfall singles sales in the US got a big boost following the release of the movie. I think this is a good/fair test as, by the time the movie has opened, the artist's fanbase have already purchased the single, so you are looking at the movie audience who see the movie and think "hey, thats a great song, I'll go and buy it". If SS's effort gets the same boost, I will eat my virtual hat.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    The thread is for discussion of the song. Everyone doesn't need to like it. Everyone doesn't need to hate it.

So far the discussion has been quite informative, in my view. Like other contentious (SF debate) threads for example.

At least people are talking either way, which is good. If anyone is so turned off that they stop being a Bond fan or are ashamed to see the film as a result of this, then that would upset me however.

The only time I felt ashamed to be a Bond fan was 1995-2002.

This song is disappointing ( bit like AWTD) but not an embrassment. Like AWTD it feels like it needed more work. Could have been a lot better.
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    As a child of the 80's I will never forget that classics such as Vienna, Fairytale of New York or Last Christmas never made it to number one. It was a much bigger deal back then. The chart is far more transient now with lower sales (sorry to digress). In a way, the number 1 justifies choosing SS as he brought with him a fan base that they could rely on to purchase the track, irrespective of content.

Basically if you hate the track you can pull out the lowest common denominator argument when hit hits no.1 and if sales drop off it's simply the result of it being crap. All the negative chat is arse achingly dull already.

I hardly need to 'pull out' the lowest common denominator argument for a Sam Smith track... is sort of does that for itself :>

If you don't like it.

Nothing to do with like - I like quite a lot of bland stuff... Toto, George Michael and yes even some Phil Collins, heaven forbid :-j

And I wouldn't call any of that 'lowest common denominator' either. They're all artists. 'lcd' stuff to me is the kind of mass produced tat you would get from One Direction or the like.
  • Say what you will, but this is probably the most significant Bond theme ever. This theme is 100% about the movie and Bond, not about being catchy or poppy or Thunderball-esque as some of you expecting Thunderball 2.0 though.

It's fantastic, especially the more I listen to it. I wouldn't go so far as to label it the 'most significant Bond theme ever', albeit it certainly is one of the most unique compositions, and indeed closely indicative of Craig's depiction of Bond and the film's theme. Sadly my video has been muted, but if you play the song 7-seconds in (immediately when the first logo appears), it may convince you as well.

https://youtu.be/mMYE8gSZaa8
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So, are people much happier with the song if it were sung by a female?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Now, for those of you who hate the song and say that just because it's popular or is #1, doesn't make it anything good, I want you to remember that the next time I point out why I don't like SF and you defend it to death, please, because you're making some of the same arguments that I've made before (that you've also vehemently denied and disagreed with).

;)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,598
    I must be one of the very few people on these forums who really likes 'Writing's on the wall'. When I listen to this song, it transports me to some elegant club in the 1920's where I am sitting listening to a talented, late night lounge singer. As Roger Moore said, it is mysterious and haunting. The lyrics resonate with me too in part.
    seriously i just listened to this again after a two day lay off. Ive heard it maybe 5 times in total. I really dont understand the vitriol aimed at it.

My favourite themes are Thunderball, LALD and probably Skyfall. I see Smith's song as a departure, but not an overly radical one.

I like it. the melody is good. the orchestration is both sparse and deep at different points. Its almost like the backlash has got momentum and people are enjoying trashing it for the sake of it. I think it will be a fitting song for the tone of the film. the trailers are very dark in mood, very subdued. this fits that IMO. A rollicking Tom Jones or LALD style theme would clash terribly, all for the sake of purposefully sounding more like something the fans want.

Eon should never pander to the fans. They should be respectful of the heritage, but take us in interesting new directions we never thought of, otherwise its non-creative fan fiction.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    This cover is pretty impressive. Less theatrical.

I think the song suits a woman's voice. :)

I agree. I have realized for awhile that I actually like the song but its Sam's singing.

This cover is a perfect example.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »

I could tolerate it more personally, yes.

I'm sure there's some Freudian element involved that I'm consciously unaware of but definitely yes, it seems more suited to a female from my standpoint.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    seriously i just listened to this again after a two day lay off. Ive heard it maybe 5 times in total. I really dont understand the vitriol aimed at it.

My favourite themes are Thunderball, LALD and probably Skyfall. I see Smith's song as a departure, but not an overly radical one.

I like it. the melody is good. the orchestration is both sparse and deep at different points. Its almost like the backlash has got momentum and people are enjoying trashing it for the sake of it. I think it will be a fitting song for the tone of the film. the trailers are very dark in mood, very subdued. this fits that IMO. A rollicking Tom Jones or LALD style theme would clash terribly, all for the sake of purposefully sounding more like something the fans want.

Eon should never pander to the fans. They should be respectful of the heritage, but take us in interesting new directions we never thought of, otherwise its non-creative fan fiction.

100% agree.

• RC7RC7
    mnhettia wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »

100% agree.

+1
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

A couple of points:
    -I don't see the vitriol here in general. I see deep disappointment among some long time fans of this franchise, but that's it. Some are having fun with it, but that's to be expected. Most detractors just don't like it. Period
    -I agree that Tom Jones or LALD style may not fit the tone of the film
    -I agree that EON should probably not pander to fans. However, by that same token, they should not pander to popular opinion/flavour of the month/year either. Smith was chosen first and foremost because he is currently popular.
    -I agree that they should take us in new directions.

You and I just have a disagreement on whether Smith's song is any good or not, and whether it in fact does take us in a new, creative direction, or whether it's a departure. I think not, and you and other fans of it think it does. That's all....

A couple of points:
    -I don't see the vitriol here in general. I see deep disappointment among some long time fans of this franchise, but that's it. Some are having fun with it, but that's to be expected. Most detractors just don't like it. Period
    -I agree that EON should probably not pander to fans. However, by that same token, they should not pander to popular opinion/flavour of the month/year either. Smith was chosen first and foremost because he is currently popular.

You and I just have a disagreement on whether Smith's song is any good or not, and whether it in fact does take us in a new, creative direction, or whether it's a departure. I think not, and you and other fans of it think it does. That's all....

Well said...

I wish though that this song wasn't tarnishing your excitement for the film :(
    ...Smith's song is kinda like wearing sneakers with a finely tailered suit . Keep eye contact ..don't look down and you should be okay :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »

A couple of points:

Well said...

...Smith's song is kinda like wearing sneakers with a finely tailered suit . Keep eye contact ..don't look down and you should be okay :D

Thx @mcdonbb. As I said before, I'm happy my overzealous enthusiasm has been deflated a bit, so I can go in without expectations.

I'm seeing it in full IMAX and if they have the freaking gunbarrel at the start, a kick 'a' pretitles (both look to be the case) and don't have Bond crying this time in the film, I think I'll walk out of there on top of the moon.....

Even Smith may be tolerable, if they add a little more orchestra to the film version, shorten it a little and if DK's title sequence is up to par (more than likely)...

The post-titles sequence/scene had better be upbeat to raise my mood after the song though...
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    doubleoego wrote: »

I'd say it's better. Much better.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

A couple of points:

Well said...

Thx @mcdonbb. As I said before, I'm happy my overzealous enthusiasm has been deflated a bit, so I can go in without expectations.

I'm seeing it in full IMAX and if they have the freaking gunbarrel at the start, a kick 'a' pretitles (both look to be the case) and don't have Bond crying this time in the film, I think I'll walk out of there on top of the moon.....

Even Smith may be tolerable, if they add a little more orchestra to the film version, shorten it a little and if DK's title sequence is up to par (more than likely)...

The post-titles sequence/scene had better be upbeat to raise my mood after the song though...

You're welcome ...and I think you (we) are safe on all those counts.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The social media is swarmed with bored frustrated youths that vent their anger at anything.
    They are not the general public thank God.
    A lot of those haters use Sam Smith to live out their homophonia in the forums where they think all is fair game.

If Sam Smith was more like Robbie Williams no one would even complain about the falsetto singing.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Deleted - phone went all wonky as it lost signal mid reply and somehow the draft wasn't saved and deleted when I tried editing it. The wonders of technology.

To lead into patb's response, I started by saying the fall out is due to homophobia is a cheap shot. In much the same way many are fed up with hearing the negative comments, the suggestion that keeps showing up in response about SS's sexuality is just as tired.
    Yes, very cheap, we have seen an era where pop his seen some fantastic performers (some gay, some straight) and they are judged on their own merits. Other posters have already listed gay singers who are respected and supported for the fantastic music that they have produced. People are allowed to dislike music written by anyone.
    And this is from someone (myself) who stood for hours to get to the front row to see Adam Lambert and Queen (know that was a gig!) - they could produce a cracking song (I digress)
    This has nothing to do homophobia.

Everything to do with SS's voice.

If the exact same song had been presented by Tom Jones it would be a fair supposition to say the reaction would be worse with even more disappointment from EVERYONE not just the Bond fraternity
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 187
    I love that this keeps getting tossed around. Dislike Sam Smith and the song? Must be homophobia. Puh-lease. That's getting just as old as the bashing of the song already. Seriously. Who the F cares if he's gay? I sure as hell don't. It's just a song and I'll call it out as terrible no matter if you're gay, straight, bi, trans, alien, Kree, ghost, I don't care what you are. Either people like it or they don't. Let's be real, the only reason it's getting to No. 1 is not because it's a good song, it's because Sam Smith is the 'It' guy of the moment. The only reason Skyfall didn't get No. 1 was because it didn't have as many days of sales as WOTW does. Has absolutely nothing to do with it being a better track.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think I would have liked the song better with Tom Jones singing. ;) I like the song but not so much Smith's voice or his too high falsetto. The music of the song itself is classic Bond though so i can enjoy that. I'm really excited for a verson done by the City of Prague philharmonic orchestra down the road.
  • I don't hate it but I don't particularly like it. Good melody but not sure about the lyrics or the falsetto. Overall just ok imo. I appreciate them for trying something different though. While Smith may be a safe choice commercially he's also different to any previous Bond singer, I appreciate how they at least tried to go in an interesting direction with the theme (I was worried that after SF's success we'd get another Adele, bland, safe) even if it didn't quite work out.

So overall I'm not really a fan, but it's far from the worst Bond song and I'm glad they at least tried something new.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think I would have liked the song better with Tom Jones singing. ;)

That's not unusual ;)

• MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I've had 5 days and about three dozen listens to Writing's On the Wall. My opinion is more refined now. I speculated that it would be a good song and potentially worthy of award recognition. Though it is still too difficult to say whether it will get recognition, it doesn't seem likely with the press it is receiving. My first impression when listening to it was that I liked it.

Now, while I think it is serviceable as a Bond theme, it didn't entirely live up to the potential of Sam Smith. While he may have showcased the full range of his voice, I think it would have been a better direction to impose a limit. The aspect I most enjoy about the song is the music itself, which reaches a crescendo at 3:24-3:39. That part gives me the goosebumps. His falsetto interrupts that moment quite prominently. I don't have a problem with falsetto and think at some points it is well executed in the song, but when he takes it up to the stratosphere, his words are no longer comprehensible to me. His vocals are a mixed bag for me because I think his opening chorus is simply fantastic. The two other pieces of criticism I have for the song is that it is too slow, which could have been overlooked if not for the song lacking a big vocal ending. The lack of a big moment at the end is disappointing for me because it feels like the vocals peak early.

That being said, I still like the song and hum the melody occasionally. It probably won't be one that I will be humming for too long unless the melody is woven into the score. Overall, it feels like a formidable effort, but a missed opportunity since it doesn't leave a significant impression with the vocals.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,314
    maybe we'll get a pumped up disco version over the closing credits like Moonraker

Any grown adult who decides not to go to see the film as s form of protest about the song needs to have a quiet word with themselves.
  • RC7RC7
    andmcit wrote: »
    To lead into patb's response, I started by saying the fall out is due to homophobia is a cheap shot. In much the same way many are fed up with hearing the negative comments, the suggestion that keeps showing up in response about SS's sexuality is just as tired.

I don't think anyone said that was the case. @BondJasonBond006 was saying that 'some' of the bored and frustrated youth that frequent social media would use any excuse to have a pop his sexuality. I've seen comments such as 'well gay', 'effeminate shit', 'limp-wristed' and 'that faggot Sam Smith'. Obviously no one on here has said those things, well, bar a few. I don't see why his sexuality is a factor at all and if you're going to use phrases you 'didn't realise' were a slight on a man's sexuality perhaps you should broaden your friendship group. I don't believe anyone here is 'homophobic', at least I'd hope not.
    I don't hate it but I don't particularly like it. Good melody but not sure about the lyrics or the falsetto. Overall just ok imo. I appreciate them for trying something different though. While Smith may be a safe choice commercially he's also different to any previous Bond singer, I appreciate how they at least tried to go in an interesting direction with the theme (I was worried that after SF's success we'd get another Adele, bland, safe) even if it didn't quite work out.

So overall I'm not really a fan, but it's far from the worst Bond song and I'm glad they at least tried something new.

That's pretty much how I feel
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RC7, unfortunately, I think a few archaic-thinking homophobes do exist on these boards.