Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• That is why I know that the truth is insane!
    thank You.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    -Among other insane actions, they tried to bring me down with the help of the taxman, pretending that I had such a tax liability, and debts on top of that, that would have bankrupted myself if I did not know the law and my rights-so they failed, as I could make the point that the debts was unlawfully attributed, so they had to liquidate their claim at once!-the tax matter is that they stole money from myself forcing me to pay a tax-liability that I certainly did not have by denying myself my rights as a common market citizen.Not even that was lawful..!

Agreed. It's a great song.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I hope the mods edit mynameismybonds posts to make this more readable. And no doubt ban him in short order.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,445
    Two days a go i lissen to radio version again, see link earlier by Gustav_Graves earlier in this thread. Because Dutch radio ignored him now (like there did with CR and QOS too) Stil think same about it.

Yesterday to a 5:40 version, audio is is't very good but this version sound much better.

I don't whant go to dive it to much in to lyrics, but get idea the song is closer in predict the future with You Know My Name, a bit more hide/more dificult les in to your face then Skyfall and Another Way To Die.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Thanks for that, interesting. A really good song has "long legs" and by word of mouth, radio play etc, more listeners decide to invest in their own copy, staying at no 1 leads to more radio play etc. An upward spiral.
    The issue re radio play is a valid one IMHO. Most radio shows want to be upbeat and be a positive listening experience, putting their listeners in a good frame of mind. As a DJ, would you want to be playing SS's effort? Doesn't really put a spring in the step. SF was similar BUT it did have progression, it moved to a climax/crescendo.

Teaser for the official music video.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    This cover is pretty impressive. Less theatrical.

I think the song suits a woman's voice. :)

• MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with the overseas' markets...Skyfall was true international hit, did the Bond film great business and also increased Adele's album sales by 10% that's how much that song was loved by Joe public and Bond fans.

And Skyfall was the first Bond song to sell a million digital copies, SS will not even come close. A complete and utter creative and commercial failure.

WOTW - I still can't believe it, this is our Bond song, can't believe it was sanctioned by Bendes, the Craig and the EON.
    The meaning

Oversinging is not a word found in common dictionaries, but it is a well-known phenomenon.[1][2] Using an oversimplified example one could say that a singer oversings by "singing too much", as an actor overacts by "acting too much".

There are different opinions on what oversinging implies, though it usually implies one or both of the following:

Belting to an extreme by singing too loud by pushing one's singing voice "too much" (straining), or singing into a higher or lower range than is comfortable for one's voice (beyond one's useful vocal range).
    Excessive use of runs, whoops, and vocal falsettos melisma.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    antovolk wrote: »
    Teaser for the official music video.

Glad to see he's using the best part of the song again. The SF cash in is also at work.
    patb wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Thanks for that, interesting. A really good song has "long legs" and by word of mouth, radio play etc, more listeners decide to invest in their own copy, staying at no 1 leads to more radio play etc. An upward spiral.
    The issue re radio play is a valid one IMHO. Most radio shows want to be upbeat and be a positive listening experience, putting their listeners in a good frame of mind. As a DJ, would you want to be playing SS's effort? Doesn't really put a spring in the step. SF was similar BUT it did have progression, it moved to a climax/crescendo.

I don't listen to popular radio much these days, but I've heard more depressing stuff than this get excess radio play in my time (Celine Dion's stinker for Titanic comes to mind) so I don't know if the downer feeling it gives is necessarily the cause. I also don't know much about how the itunes chart works. Is this as bad as it looks? I'd watch the trend on the Billboard airplay and singles sales charts for the real indication of where this thing goes.

This bit below is exactly what I said on another thread. Herein lies the problem imho: It is, to my ears, a watered down and less effective SF, and also seems like an obvious cash-in move. If they had gone with a different sound from the predecessor film, less obvious comparisons could be made.I also agree that NDIB is a work of art.

"Choosing a very early songwriter with few credits was a gamble on the part of the Bond people. Maybe they thought they’d get something with a gospel-feel. But Smith simply re-watered “Skyfall.” Also, after Adele’s giant anthem was such a hit, won an Oscar etc, it may have been time for something either more uptempo, rock song like “Live and Let Die,” or a big pop ballad by experts.

Remember too that Marvin Hamlisch and Carole Bayer Sager wrote “Nobody Does it Better.” Carly Simon sang it. Richard Perry produced it. This was like having the 1927 Yankees make your record."
    Here's a challenge. All people disliking the song, listen to this violin version. You may alter your minds.

Sounds a lot different without Smith's theatrical vocals.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    That's a fair point re Titanic and airplay. I did not like the song or the movie BUT it would be silly to deny that the song was very very effective and obviously struck a massive chord with jo public. We are talking about James Horner, (RIP) one of THE great writers of our era and someone IMHO in a different league from SS. Plus (sorry to state the obvious) but its OK to know in advance that the movie is going to have a pretty bad/sad ending. We don't officially know that yet with Spectre. Bond (unlike Titanic) is, after all, a winner. He wins for himself and he wins for Her Majesty (and, be implication, all of us). He has setbacks (we have seen two massive ones in the last three movies), but he has to keep winning (keeping the "end up"). SS's effort is not a "winning" song. It sounds like the song of a loser.
    PS so they are referencing SF in the video? clever or a cheap trick to ride on the SF coat tails?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    To confirm that the overall reaction has been negative, just look at the comments on the official fb pages post of the new video teaser. I count two positive comments so far.

Like BondJames, I'm a bit baffled. Surely EON realized this song would be massively polarizing. So they decided to go ahead anyway, figuring any hype was ok?
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Sark wrote: »
    To confirm that the overall reaction has been negative, just look at the comments on the official fb pages post of the new video teaser. I count two positive comments so far.

Like BondJames, I'm a bit baffled. Surely EON realized this song would be massively polarizing. So they decided to go ahead anyway, figuring any hype was ok?

Would help the cause if so called Bond fans didn't consistently blow a gasket over it. Some of the comments are the work of self-entitled buffoons. 'This isn't Bond!' Guess what? It is. Deal with it and move on.
    Can someone advise, how does it work if the guy you employ to write a great song does not live up to expectations:
    Run with it and add some Bondian orchestration?
    Tell them to go back and write something else?
    Get someone else in to create something new urgently?
    Have a plan B in reserve just in case?
    What baffles me is that Mendes seems to have understood the Bond culture. I have read interviews where he remembers as a child playing with the toy car etc. He is the right age to be soaked in Bond culture as he grew up, surrounded by all the Bond cultural references including the music. He is obviously a very clever guy and sensitive to what the public want. I just cant figure it out and its really bugging me.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,312
    WOTW is headed to enter the UK single charts at number 1, better than SF or any Bond song before.

That's how negative the overall reaction really is… :))
    If Justin Bieber had recorded the Bond song, I can pretty much guarantee it would have got to number 1, irrespective of content or critical response. UK single sales are low compared to the pop peak of the 80s. The fan base of the performer is enough to get you to number one.
    If Justin Bieber had recorded the Bond song, I can pretty much guarantee it would have got to number 1, irrespective of content or critical response. UK single sales are low compared to the pop peak of the 80s. The fan base of the performer is enough to get you to number one.

That is very true. Single sales globally are not what they were by any means so these kinds of comparisons over time are meaningless (I'm pretty sure many of the Bond songs could have been #1 if they needed to make the sales numbers one needs today to get to that number).

At the end of the day, it is good UK marketing however, but that is to some extent unnecessary, as this film is likely going to break records in the UK (as most of DC's Bond films have done). The key markets are the overseas ones.
    Can someone advise, how does it work if the guy you employ to write a great song does not live up to expectations:
    Run with it and add some Bondian orchestration?
    Tell them to go back and write something else?
    Get someone else in to create something new urgently?
    Have a plan B in reserve just in case?
    What baffles me is that Mendes seems to have understood the Bond culture. I have read interviews where he remembers as a child playing with the toy car etc. He is the right age to be soaked in Bond culture as he grew up, surrounded by all the Bond cultural references including the music. He is obviously a very clever guy and sensitive to what the public want. I just cant figure it out and its really bugging me.

Mendes is a Bond fan -many people are, and as we all know that does not necessarily qualify someone to make Bond movies.

I was one of a tiny minority on here when SF came out who questioned whether Mendes did really understand Bond culture.

Any way, I'm hopeful about SP. Pretty much everything I've seen so far suggests it's going to be a massive improvement on SF.

I don't have an issue actually with Mendes getting Smith to do the song. I was expecting better though. I am more worried about Thomas Newman's score.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    zebrafish wrote: »
    WOTW is headed to enter the UK single charts at number 1, better than SF or any Bond song before.

That's how negative the overall reaction really is… :))

The popular chart position obviously has nothing to do with quality.
    I'm not a hipster but I would generally agree that anything that panders to the masses is usually of questionable caliber... lowest common denominator and all that.
    It still is probably better as advertisement for the film to have a massive reaction (whether it is good or bad) then a "Oh, its good, yeah...
    At least, it brought awareness to the film and obviously, judging the charts, people are listening to it. Like or not.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    As a child of the 80's I will never forget that classics such as Vienna, Fairytale of New York or Last Christmas never made it to number one. It was a much bigger deal back then. The chart is far more transient now with lower sales (sorry to digress). In a way, the number 1 justifies choosing SS as he brought with him a fan base that they could rely on to purchase the track, irrespective of content.
  • RC7RC7
    As a child of the 80's I will never forget that classics such as Vienna, Fairytale of New York or Last Christmas never made it to number one. It was a much bigger deal back then. The chart is far more transient now with lower sales (sorry to digress). In a way, the number 1 justifies choosing SS as he brought with him a fan base that they could rely on to purchase the track, irrespective of content.

Basically if you hate the track you can pull out the lowest common denominator argument when hit hits no.1 and if sales drop off it's simply the result of it being crap. All the negative chat is arse achingly dull already.
    apologies for making your arse ache, was not my intention.
  • RC7RC7
    apologies for making your arse ache, was not my intention.

It's cool. I have a hot water bottle on hand.

RC7 wrote: »

Basically if you hate the track you can pull out the lowest common denominator argument when hit hits no.1 and if sales drop off it's simply the result of it being crap. All the negative chat is arse achingly dull already.

I hardly need to 'pull out' the lowest common denominator argument for a Sam Smith track... is sort of does that for itself :>
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »

I hardly need to 'pull out' the lowest common denominator argument for a Sam Smith track... is sort of does that for itself :>

If you don't like it.
    The thread is for discussion of the song. Everyone doesn't need to like it. Everyone doesn't need to hate it.

So far the discussion has been quite informative, in my view. Like other contentious (SF debate) threads for example.

At least people are talking either way, which is good. If anyone is so turned off that they stop being a Bond fan or are ashamed to see the film as a result of this, then that would upset me however.
    AceHole wrote: »

If you don't like it.

Nothing to do with like - I like quite a lot of bland stuff... Toto, George Michael and yes even some Phil Collins, heaven forbid :-j
    Very happy we're getting a music video for writings on the wall