Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    I think it's not fair to blame Sam Smith for anything. He was chosen to do the title track and that's what he did. They wanted Sam Smith - they got Sam Smith. What else was to expect than a falsetto love song?

And no, I still don't like the song.
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    I think it's not fair to blame Sam Smith for anything. He was chosen to do the title track and that's what he did. They wanted Sam Smith - they got Sam Smith. What else was to expect than a falsetto love song?

And no, I still don't like the song.

A more memorable tune? It's not the style or Smith's voice that bothers me - it's the lack of anything about the melody that grabs me.

This is definitely not a classic Bond song. But hey, we've had a lot worse.
    So after sleeping on it, I think I've come to my conclusion until the film comes out. WOTW is a solid Sam Smith song, but not a solid Bond track. I like it and all if I playlist it with his other singles but when I was out for a jog this morning and listening to WOTW alongside the other Bond tracks in my playlist, it stuck out like a sore thumb for me and not in a good way.

Pitty. I wasn't sold on him ever but I was sure he would produce something that would click with me given the circumstances. Oh well. There's always Bond 25.
    RC7 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Although having read all the comments since the song came out I am not in the slightest surprised - it was always going to be a relatively safe & mediocre song that played to Sam Smith's vocal strengths (the falsetto's people seem to dislike).
    Some like it, some don't. I wasn't a big fan of Adele's SF, thought YKMN and even FYEO were better to be honest... so I'll reserve judgement.

I wouldn't call it safe, or mediocre. I think you could argue that case for SF, potentially, but I don't think there would be such a polarising view if that were the case for WOTW. It was always going to sound like a Sam Smith song. The key is whether you take to his voice, the lyrics and the overall style. It's somewhat different to what you might expect, outside his voice imo.

Although I can't truly comment on the 'mediocre' label yet, I find it hard to believe that SS has made an edgy song ... (ie. not what I'd call 'safe')
    But yes, I found SF rather 'safe' and not in the least bit inspired.

Honestly, next to SF I would argue it's more divergent and works in a way you wouldn't consider a trad Bond track to. There are strings that feel quite classic, but outside of that there's much more experimentation imo. I'm not holding out much hope you'll like it, though.

It's different alright. But is it any good?
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Although having read all the comments since the song came out I am not in the slightest surprised - it was always going to be a relatively safe & mediocre song that played to Sam Smith's vocal strengths (the falsetto's people seem to dislike).
    Some like it, some don't. I wasn't a big fan of Adele's SF, thought YKMN and even FYEO were better to be honest... so I'll reserve judgement.

I wouldn't call it safe, or mediocre. I think you could argue that case for SF, potentially, but I don't think there would be such a polarising view if that were the case for WOTW. It was always going to sound like a Sam Smith song. The key is whether you take to his voice, the lyrics and the overall style. It's somewhat different to what you might expect, outside his voice imo.

I understand your reasoning perfectly @RC7. "Writing's On The Wall" isn't the typical, safe Bond song. "SkyFall" in that sense was way more 'typical'. Regarding his voice, that is actually not even the problem I have with the song (the fact that it's a 'grower' initially irritated me a bit). I actually think Sam Smith has a crisp, clear voice. He doesn't sing out of tune at all. It's merely a matter of liking his high voice. That's it. If people say he sounds like a male-to-female transsexual is ridiculous, disrespectful and even discriminating. No need to use faul language. Just saying "I like it!" or "I don't like it!" is enough!

Perhaps we should also point out that back in the 1960's every Bond song was more or less........'very new to ears'. "Goldfinger" hit the people with a bang! "You Only Live Twice" was a radical change from "GF" and "TB", in that it was a very slow-tempo, loungy, exotic ballad. Teen-star Nancy Sinatra didn't even like singing it ("I was nervous during the recording!"). Then there was "Nobody Does It Better", which was an equally radical song choice. Until that time Bond songs sounded slightly 'mysterious', something that only belongs to a Bond universe. But "Nobody Does It Better" and even "For Your Eyes Only", though very good romantic songs, didn't sound 'Bond-esque' at all. They were perhaps more suitable to drama films like "On Golden Pond"!

And then there was Madonna's "Die Another Day". Hated by many, but certainly something that we haven't heard before in a Bond film. It was the 'sound of that time'. An extension of the safe and worry-less 1990's. To a lesser extend you could say the same of "Another Way To Die". You know, I firmly dislike the song, but it WAS unique and perhaps one of the most a-melodical, hard-rock entries ever in a Bond film. "AVTAK" and "LALD" sound rather sweet and whimpy next to "AWTD".

I do however think that "Writing's On The Wall" is more 'Bond-esque' than "DAD", "AWTD" and even "YKMN". It's soft, very slow-tempo, has mysterious strings in it, and a chorus that is more romantic. In a way it reminds me of Nancy Sinatra's "You Only Live Twice", Julie Rogers' "You Only Live Twice", Matt Munro's "From Russia With Love" and Rita Coolidge's "All Time High". Songs I really like. They really de-stress me after work. They are loungy, romantic, but mysterious at the same time.

And at the same time it has this typical Sam Smith sound. There's one thing however I disagree with @RC7. I never expected a song like "SkyFall" from Adele. In the weeks leading up to the premiere of that Bond song, I made myself acquinted with Adele's discography. And that was far less 'Bond-esque' and experimental. So "SkyFall" was a more radical change for Adele. And I don't know about how she thinks of the song, but I still think as of today she isn't very comfortable in singing "SkyFall".

Sam Smith however, stays with "Writing's On The Wall" more loyal to his discography so far. And in a way, like Smith already said, the song is also linked to Smith's own experiences in life.
    It's not about liking or disliking Sam Smith for me. It's whether the song is any good. And although it's not bad, I don't think it's very memorable at all. The lyrics are fine but there is no real tune. There wasn't much of a tune with Skyfall either but overall SF is more successful IMO.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,261
    Good people, let's not trod down the homophobia path regarding the song. I don't give a toss, that Smith is homosexual (just read that somewhere here), why should I? The sexual orientation of a musician/singer, writer, painter, person does not have anything with me liking or disliking it. I only judge the song itself, I like the instrumental version, thee lyrics for me are too whimsy, and the falsetto song still irritates me. But I have to say, although it does not grow on me or I don't say I love it, but after listening to it several times, I am getting used to it. And let's face it, EON will stick to it. Smith did this in January, and I think, Babs, Mike, Sam, and maybe even Daniel Craig knew it, and if they disliked it, they surely would have rejected it on the spot, but they did not. And with only four weeks to go, they surely would have another artist doing a new song, and I assume, that Daniel Kleinman might have completed the opening credits bit. That's just my 2 pence.

tumblr_m83nq9jO1J1qce332o6_250.gif
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Of course they're using this song. That's not homespun wisdom - it's called stating the bleeding obvious.

Or are they the same thing?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    Of course they're using this song. That's not homospun wisdom - it's called stating the bleeding obvious.

Or are they the same thing?

They are, in this case.
    timmer wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I know I have a problem if I prefer the falsetto of the first cover version out there, than the real deal. Maybe it's because the sound of a whiny girl should be sung by a girl. She doesn't even have the orchestra:

Wow! I approve of this by 9000!

Wow, this girl has saved the song
    She's elevated it from putrid to passable.
    The song is still sappy and shite. Utterly awful and a huge letdown for a film that holds so much promise, but vocally she"s saved it, or at least as well as such tripe can be saved.
    To paraphrase the Rolling Stones..."It's the Singer not the Song"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I know I have a problem if I prefer the falsetto of the first cover version out there, than the real deal. Maybe it's because the sound of a whiny girl should be sung by a girl. She doesn't even have the orchestra:

Wow! I approve of this by 9000!

Wow, this girl has saved the song
    She's elevated it from putrid to passable.
    The song is still sappy and shite. Utterly awful and a huge letdown for a film that holds so much promise, but vocally she"s saved it, or at least as well as such tripe can be saved.
    To paraphrase the Rolling Stones..."It's the Singer not the Song"
    ie the singer is what's most wrong with this song.

Nutshell:Bad song but badder singer.

#WorstBondSongEver

#BestBondSongEver

:) battling hashtags
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    ^ Sadly it's blocked on copyright grounds in the UK.
    Same in Canada. Although not sure that is bad thing. And here I was going to give it a 2nd listen
    Saved by the copyright.

:P
    ^ Sadly it's blocked on copyright grounds in the UK.
    Same in Canada. Although not sure that is bad thing. And here I was going to give it a 2nd listen
    Saved by the copyright.

:P
    Edit: double post My mistake

Please delete Smartphone posting can be hazardous
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=63&v=dAHu_ZKWcCQ

I reckon this fits in with the mood of the film than you know what.

E.O.N make good calls and bad calls. The one above was a bad call - should have gone with it - but not down with the kids is our Shirley. Let's have Alicia screaming nonesense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=106&v=-OLocm8AVMM

Glad this didn't go through but we got a weak Aha song which was a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=M3anh2SV-7s

Another bad call, this was much better than Sheena's, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=58&v=R500VKA9-Zo

And another one.

Clunky Thunderball instead of this smooth silky number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=qSxT6mufIyM

Close call this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=I-AN5mJF13A

As for you know what, I wonder what we've missed with Adele saying no to the gig...she could have been our Shirley, getting better with each film. Would have been good no doubt.
    I remain convinced that unless and until EON require the score composer to collaborate with the performing artist or actually compose the title song, we will not get the rounded sonic experience all of us are looking for.

Everything needs to be composed in the round.

Speaking of which, I read that Mendes said there were going to be two or three songs in the movie. Any news on that?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Thanks for posting , all interesting . For me the QoS decision was 100% wrong, although I can see that using her vocals could be seen as retrograde at a time they were trying to move Bond forward. The same song with a different singer would have been a good choice perhaps, surely better than the option they eventually chose.
    PS If we had not heard the Arnold/Bassey effort and it had been chosen for Spectre, I would have been over the moon. As a benchmark, does anyone prefer SS's effort to the Bassey/Arnold song?
    I take full ownership of the word putrid.
    I hate this song. It is a disgrace that it was ever considered for a Bond film.
    I agree with those who feel that maybe it is time for Mendes to take his leave from this franchise.
    The song is sappy with a bullet.
    No words are too strong to describe the awfulness of this horrible piece of music.
    Art evokes emotion.

This song belongs on a Sam Smith record but in a Bond film!?
    Mendes has lost his mind.
    Oh well its only 3 min of the movie.
    With luck the song won't appear on the soundtrack, like SF, although in SF's case, I do miss that passably adequate song not being on the soundtrack album.

Very important that mortified Bond fans vent.
    It's cathartic!
    There I feel better. ~O)
    The Arnold/Bassey song was okay. It invites unfavourable comparisons with Barry though. It is basically pastiche. Fairly good pastiche but that's all. I prefer that they try doing something s little fresh.
  • RC7RC7
    I agree with those who feel that maybe it is time for Mendes to take his leave from this franchise.
    No words are too strong to describe the awfulness of this horrible piece of music.
    Art evokes emotion.

With luck the song won't appear on the soundtrack, like SF, although in SF's case, I do miss that passably adequate song not being on the soundtrack album.

It's cathartic!
    There I feel better. ~O)

#PrayForTimmer
    I agree but I would take a good pastiche over poor original material any day.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    pastiche can be explosive. ;)
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    patb wrote: »

Pastiche - there lies the road to franchise ruin...
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

whoa there whoa there, let's rub the sam smith golden trudge from our eyes....

DC coming out of the water in swimming trunks - ummmm.

Ms Fields covered in oil on a bed - ummmmm.

Fingerprint gun - ummmm.

Skull mask - ummmm.

Did you mean pistachios instead surely not pastiche?
    MrLunn wrote: »

whoa there whoa there, let's rub the sam smith golden trudge from our eyes....

DC coming out of the water in swimming trunks - ummmm.

Ms Fields covered in oil on a bed - ummmmm.

Fingerprint gun - ummmm.

Skull mask - ummmm.

Did you mean pistachios instead surely not pastiche?

I was thinking more of Diamonds Are Forever and Die Another Day than the homages in the more gritty and Fleming-faithful Craig era to be honest.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    Art evokes emotion.

It's cathartic!
    There I feel better. ~O)

#PrayForTimmer

You betcha I pray for @timmer. I pray that he keeps posting right through the SP opening as I can't wait to read his reactions. Nobody on this site has nailed "Poop on the Wall" better than him.

@timmer is a much valued member of our community, but we all have different opinions on different things Bondian. It would be a very dull forum (and indeed a very dull life) if we all thought the same...
    We all need to tilt at windmills, from time to time. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Or pee on walls too. Guilty as charged, many years ago.
    Snow is great, you can write your name .... " Writing's in the snow" .