Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't think there is a good version :D
    I've joined the dark side. :))
    I know there are some very talented guys here on the forum who put together their own trailers etc. I wondered if anyone had tried to do a title sequence with this song. As well as not liking it, I am struggling to imagine how the title sequence will work. If the imagery matches the tone and pace of the song, the audience will be ready to slit their wrists before the movie even gets started.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    I know there are some very talented guys here on the forum who put together their own trailers etc. I wondered if anyone had tried to do a title sequence with this song. As well as not liking it, I am struggling to imagine how the title sequence will work. If the imagery matches the tone and pace of the song, the audience will be ready to slit their wrists before the movie even gets started.

Thankfully DK won't be struggling to imagine.
  • I just uploaded a pretty good qualty version on YouTube, enjoy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ^ Sadly it's blocked on copyright grounds in the UK.
  • michallo_wmichallo_w Szczecin, Poland
    Hey guys, when can we expect music video?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    RC7 wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »
    Funny how critics of the song are accused of being close-minded and not accepting new ideas of what constitutes a Bond song, then @Bondjasonbon006 says it's the first "proper Bond song" of the Craig era.

Jason, do you think LALD is a "rock song that doesn't sound Bond"?

LALD is nothing like YKMN and George Martin could have made anything sound like Bond.

The problem definitely aren't the supporters of WOTW but the hysterical critics that go to any length to bash Sam Smith, and the song.
    This thread is testament to that.
    What do you think our motive is for bashing WOTW?

You'd have to tell us. Some of the hate seems incredibly disproportionate. Given one member appears to have joined simply to berate the 'egotist', Sam Smith, I'd have to say some (not all) have some sort of agenda. What that is, who knows?
    DrGorner wrote: »
    It does seem to be getting a large amount of hate directed at it ?
    I can understand not liking it ( we all have different tastes) but to
    Keep on attacking it, seems a bit vengeful.

I agree with both of you. Not liking (or even hating) a song is one thing, the amount of vitriol running in this thread is something that reminds me of the dark days when Craig was first cast.

On my side, I wasn't much of a fan of the song when it was released (I didn't hate it, though) but now I actually like it. Could have used a bit more punch in the end but so did Adele's SF.
    I really wanted to like this song and was one of the few on here defending Smith before it was released, but having listened to it several times I just find it utterly forgettable.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited September 2015 Posts: 805
    I'm really looking forward to hearing Arctic Monkeys doing Whining Up The Wall on Radio 1's Live Lounge
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If people don't like it that's perfectly fine as is the case with anything but I'm just shocked at how numerous people in general are being relentlessly mean and nasty about the whole affair.
    I think its the contrast. If expectations for the movie were low then fair enough but this looked to be possibly one of THE great Bond movies (and still could be) with everything in place plus the leaks added to the discussion (and expectation for those who read them), so I think that could partly explain the let down and sense of frustration for some.
    I count myself as one of the lucky ones, I like the song and think the
    Film is going to be epic =D> so I'm feeling great. :D
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    Ronnie Pickering is trending higher the WOTW. Ronnie Pickering. I thought the DC era was going to take us back to the golden age of Bond, where is the showbiz, where is the glamour, where is it? Thankfully Craig is extremely watchable, DOP are on point, plots are still a bit dodgy but okay...had a fab female character in Vespa, one of the best...but the glaring thing is the songs and the soundtracks, Adele almost did it...

I'm not here to hate or be 24/7 hater, sure I have fun with it, but we are promised so much and then we end up a 20 min hole in the wall effort. Now brilliant members here, who are equally or more passionate than myself have been open minded and loyal to the Bond films...and given the song a chance and genuine love.

but please it has not delivered no they have not delivered again...being passive and saying 'it's growing on me' is a cop out. Speak up and be honest do you really think, honestly, do you think that WOTW is up to it? Come on be straight, is it?

It quite clearly isn't and the more we let things go (it's our money and loyalty that keeps Bond going and relevant remember) and it'll carry on.

No one does it better than Bond and the current producers and creative teams need to take the music and soundtracks seriously. Don't go by current trends or who is hot with the kids...open your ears and go for the best.
    In many ways they did go for the best, Sam is hot property. He's won big
    At the Grammy's and is one of the few British acts to have broken in To
    America. From the looks of things he's delivered a #1 hit song to the producers.
    It may not be to everyone's musical taste, but the boys done good, I can't see
    how he could have delivered more. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    MrLunn wrote: »
    Ronnie Pickering is trending higher the WOTW. Ronnie Pickering. I thought the DC era was going to take us back to the golden age of Bond, where is the showbiz, where is the glamour, where is it? Thankfully Craig is extremely watchable, DOP are on point, plots are still a bit dodgy but okay...had a fab female character in Vespa, one of the best...but the glaring thing is the songs and the soundtracks, Adele almost did it...

I'm not here to hate or be 24/7 hater, sure I have fun with it, but we are promised so much and then we end up a 20 min hole in the wall effort. Now brilliant members here, who are equally or more passionate than myself have been open minded and loyal to the Bond films...and given the song a chance and genuine love.

but please it has not delivered no they have not delivered again...being passive and saying 'it's growing on me' is a cop out. Speak up and be honest do you really think, honestly, do you think that WOTW is up to it? Come on be straight, is it?

It quite clearly isn't and the more we let things go (it's our money and loyalty that keeps Bond going and relevant remember) and it'll carry on.

No one does it better than Bond and the current producers and creative teams need to take the music and soundtracks seriously. Don't go by current trends or who is hot with the kids...open your ears and go for the best.

I think it's great and you'll find plenty of evidence to suggest I am not one for sucking up everything thrown our way, quite the opposite. Your thoughts are predicated on a high level of expectancy. Mine were not. I didn't know what to expect, primarily because I don't feel there are any particular pre-requisites when it comes to Bond themes, I listen and if it connects, if it feels like Bond, it's done its job.

I like NDIB as much as YOLT, AVTAK as much as WHATTITW. WOTW slots firmly into the canon for me. It brings some undeniably Bondian vibes, while introducing a sound we haven't heard before. That is more interesting to me than a pastiche theme that ticks all the boxes people seem to have invented around the idea of the 'theme'. It's clearly not to everyone's taste, but I actually think they took a risk with this and for me it has paid off. This movie could end up being a lot more idiosyncratic than some have suggested. It's clearly not just 'Dan's TB'.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Funny how critics of the song are accused of being close-minded and not accepting new ideas of what constitutes a Bond song, then @Bondjasonbon006 says it's the first "proper Bond song" of the Craig era.

LALD is nothing like YKMN and George Martin could have made anything sound like Bond.

The problem definitely aren't the supporters of WOTW but the hysterical critics that go to any length to bash Sam Smith, and the song.

You'd have to tell us. Some of the hate seems incredibly disproportionate. Given one member appears to have joined simply to berate the 'egotist', Sam Smith, I'd have to say some (not all) have some sort of agenda. What that is, who knows?

Well, it could be that many people just plain don't like it. My point was that, like SF, many of WOTW's defenders refuse to accept that other people can in good faith not like it.

As for why people are vitriolic? Because James Bond is important to us. Otherwise we wouldn't be posting on these forums. Are people any more vitriolic than they were about DAD (song and film)? I highly doubt it.
    Good point @Sark we all think of Bond as very personal to us. :)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425

I think it's great and you'll find plenty of evidence to suggest I am not one for sucking up everything thrown our way, quite the opposite. Your thoughts are predicated on a high level of expectancy. Mine were not. I didn't know what to expect, primarily because I don't feel there are any particular pre-requisites when it comes to Bond themes, I listen and if it connects, if it feels like Bond, it's done its job.

I like NDIB as much as YOLT, AVTAK as much as WHATTITW. WOTW slots firmly into the canon for me. It brings some undeniably Bondian vibes, while introducing a sound we haven't heard before. That is more interesting to me than a pastiche theme that ticks all the boxes people seem to have invented around the idea of the 'theme'. It's clearly not to everyone's taste, but I actually think they took a risk with this and for me it has paid off. This movie could end up being a lot more idiosyncratic than some have suggested. It's clearly not just 'Dan's TB'.

I agree. I was all up for something a bit different, and it's not a "bad" song. It's just I've listened to it several times and it's not making an impact for me. Nothing memorable or catchy.

Sadly no sign of a theme/motif that Newman might have used in the film either.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

Well, it could be that many people just plain don't like it. My point was that, like SF, many of WOTW's defenders refuse to accept that other people can in good faith not like it.

As for why people are vitriolic? Because James Bond is important to us. Otherwise we wouldn't be posting on these forums. Are people any more vitriolic than they were about DAD (song and film)? I highly doubt it.
    There is no 'hate' here (an overused term on these forums and on the internet in general)....at least not from my standpoint. Just severe disappointment with the song.

I agree @Sark, some people just don't like it. The point I have been banging on about for some time is that this should have been quite obvious to EON and Mendes in particular. If they could not realize that some (a rather large it seems) component of the Bond viewing (as opposed to Sam Smith record buying or downloading) community would be strongly put off by the schmaltz so evidently injected into this misery inducing (I don't like being depressed, and this thing does depress me) song, then I have concerns about them being 'tone deaf', or just '$ hungry' post SF.

There is no melody...nothing to hum. Smith's voice lacks 'soul' imho. That is why some are saying he sounds like a screeching cat, and preferring the girl who covered it in a post above. That's why some comments online refer to James 'Bland'. It sounds to me like something someone who is auditioning for one of those talent shows (American Idol or whatever) would come up with. I don't listen to Sam Smith music so I can't comment on whether this is what he normally sounds like.

I was willing to give him a chance (as I do all Bond title artists). I had an open mind. He did the best he could it seems. It's just not good enough from my perspective. It does not seem like something James Bond would reveal to the audience (at least not Craig's Bond). I remember EON saying they had to be careful with Bond when CR came out.....in terms of having his armour (or pants) off....'the audience could only tolerate enough of that sort of thing' they said (I'm paraphrasing). So they should have realized that this could be 'crossing the line' with many members of the public and some die hards (like myself....who try to be reasonable when we can be). So they knew that it was something they had to be careful about. The fact that they went ahead with this is not Smith's fault (from what I have read, he gave us what we should have expected him to give us). It's EON's faullt, for giving Mendes too much creative control,.....so it seems. Such concerns were already proven with the script writing debacle (with Logan). No matter how good SP is (with a reputed $300m budget, any idiot director should be able to turn a half decent product in anyway), I'll be quite happy once he is long gone from this franchise.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Today is the day I learned to love it. It's abolutely great really. Gives me the chills. Not as good as Adele but still really good.

Okay, we are all with you here, we can help you get through this. Just stay calm and follow these instructions and it'll be all back to normal. Deep breaths now...

Go to itunes playlist. Type in the search box...James Bond theme songs...do not type in Sam Smith...repeat do not type in Sam Smith this will again cause shallow sensations in your inner ear...hit search button....good, you're doing really well...now choose We have all the time in the world....and then play....this should take you back to the feeling of James Bond classic songs not soggy toast with Marmite.
    It's really good to welcome you to these forums @MrLunn, and I hope you enjoy your time here. However you have come in here as a new member this month and dished out maybe a little too much sarcasm towards longer standing members. Better to take some time and get to know people before you become quite so judgemental.

You don't like the song, I think I get that now.
    bondjames wrote: »

There is no 'hate' here (an overused term on these forums and on the internet in general)....at least not from my standpoint. Just severe disappointment with the song.

I agree @Sark, some people just don't like it. The point I have been banging on about for some time is that this should have been quite obvious to EON and Mendes in particular. If they could not realize that some (a rather large it seems) component of the Bond viewing (as opposed to Sam Smith record buying or downloading) community would be strongly put off by the schmaltz so evidently injected into this misery inducing (I don't like being depressed, and this thing does depress me) song, then I have concerns about them being 'tone deaf', or just '$ hungry' post SF.

There is no melody...nothing to hum. Smith's voice lacks 'soul' imho. That is why some are saying he sounds like a screeching cat, and preferring the girl who covered it in a post above. That's why some comments online refer to James 'Bland'. It sounds to me like something someone who is auditioning for one of those talent shows (American Idol or whatever) would come up with. I don't listen to Sam Smith music so I can't comment on whether this is what he normally sounds like.

I was willing to give him a chance (as I do all Bond title artists). I had an open mind. He did the best he could it seems. It's just not good enough from my perspective. It does not seem like something James Bond would reveal to the audience (at least not Craig's Bond). I remember EON saying they had to be careful with Bond when CR came out.....in terms of having his armour (or pants) off....'the audience could only tolerate enough of that sort of thing' they said (I'm paraphrasing). So they should have realized that this could be 'crossing the line' with many members of the public and some die hards (like myself....who try to be reasonable when we can be). So they knew that it was something they had to be careful about. The fact that they went ahead with this is not Smith's fault (from what I have read, he gave us what we should have expected him to give us). It's EON's faullt, for giving Mendes too much creative control,.....so it seems. Such concerns were already proven with the script writing debacle (with Logan). No matter how good SP is (with a reputed $300m budget, any idiot director should be able to turn a half decent product in anyway), I'll be quite happy once he is long gone from this franchise.

I am not a fan of SF but I am reserving judgement on Mendes overall until I've seen SP. I'm hopeful that it's going to be a much better Bond movie than SF.

I have lots of concerns about Mendes but am trying to just focus on enjoying the movie right now.

This song is a disappointment for me as I was defending Sam Smith quite a lot, but the song doesn't hit the mark IMO.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,756
    @bondjames Surely you must be joking, this is one of the few songs I actually hummed. I had this song stuck in my head for days.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Sark
    I didn't mean you, you're a reasonable guy and I respect your opinions.

I just feel this thread was taken hostage by some posters that excessively bashed the song or/and Sam Smith.

It's obvious the song did't do well in the social media where in contrast it sells like ice cream on a hot summer day if you look at the charts, so it can't generally be disliked imo.
    I see that there is a sizeable number of people against the whole auteur approach to Bond?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    With Barry and Arnold , you had someone who made the connection between the main theme song, the complete sound track and then the whole of the Bond "feel". When you "contract out" the main song to someone outside, the risks are higher. It does not mean that you get a bad outcome. But the risks are they they dont "get" Bond and write to their own strengths (plus has never written for a movie before). SS has written a song with falsetto because thats how he sings (how many fans were thinking "what we need is more falsettto in a Bond song" before hearing this?). Song writing is very very hard and admire anyone who can do it. But writing to someone elses brief must be even harder. Makes you admire Macka even more for LALD)
    Sorry @dominicgreene, but if there is something to hum, I can't see it....and that could be because I'm put off by the falsetto and singing style.

I will listen to some of the 'cover' versions at some point this week and see if I can be turned around. I don't like having this kind of feeling about the title track for a motion picture I've been looking forward to with keen interest for 3 years, so I'm obviously interested in improving my perception of the song..
    #BestBondSongEver
    This however, I will never agree with, no matter how my perceptions may change in the future on this thing.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I see that there is a sizeable number of people against the whole auteur approach to Bond?

It just depends on whether you like the auteur or not.
    patb wrote: »
    With Barry and Arnold , you had someone who made the connection between the main theme song, the complete sound track and then the whole of the Bond "feel". When you "contract out" the main song to someone outside, the risks are higher. It does not mean that you get a bad outcome. But the risks are they they dont "get" Bond and write to their own strengths (plus has never written for a movie before). SS has written a song with falsetto because thats how he sings (how many fans were thinking "what we need is more falsettto in a Bond song" before hearing this?). Song writing is very very hard and admire anyone who can do it. But writing to someone elses brief must be even harder. Makes you admire Macka even more for LALD)

I completely agree. Well said.
    Getafix wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

It just depends on whether you like the auteur or not.

I agree but would rephrase it to 'It just depends on whether you like what the auteur has given us or not'.

There is nothing personal here against Smith or Mendes. Just disappointment with Smith's delivered product and concerns about Mendes.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2015 Posts: 3,157
    michallo_w wrote: »
    Hey guys, when can we expect music video?
    @michallo_w October 5th
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

As I said from the start, mission accomplished. That was the purpose and it has been achieved.

Same with Eurovision Song Contest really (and I am a fan of that too ;-)). Remember her/him/it :-P?
    rs_634x1024-150111160430-634.Conchita-Wurst-Golden-Globes.jl.011115.jpg

It was such a polarizing act.....that in the end it drew all the attention to the rather Skyfall-esque Bond-ballad, titled "Rise Like A Phoenix".

Same with "Writing's On The Wall". All the negativity surrounding this song creates curiosity....and people really want to find out themselves by downloading the song or buying the single :-0.

BUT, I do think this is also a clear example of "profiting from the success of "Skyfall" ". Its success is still 'helping' sales of a rather mediocre Bond song, that "WOTW" seems to be. If "Another Way To Die" followed "Skyfall", then that piece of noise would have gone straight to no#1 as well :-).