Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

I keep looking the you-tube but nothing official come up.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,416
    keep-calm-and-back-to-the-studio-1.png

There should go back to studio to recording the song again, if there not already did or plan to do and this radio edition (i only heard once) be demo. I think start of song whas disapointed, also he has some problems with his voice/audio is wrong recorded. So mabey there rushed it a bit whyle recording after hard day(s) of work. Melody with a bit of compose music is best part. I also think he should have song Writing's on the wall atleast once more.

To make more clear that i think it is recording, the radio edition of Dutch Singer Anouk who normaly sings English but made a Dutch song who sound better on youtube.

Judge your self

Volume is also one of problems i have with Anouk her LIVE performance at the Europ contest. If she did like she did at the selection she end 8th place i predict or mabey even higher but she end 9th because of not enough volume and less good choose of camera angle then at selection. Now i must say live acts,always it have problems with volume a lot of times.

For both songs count, i can't not understand what there sings in some part of the radio edition. First i thaught she sings about coffee. Mabey a bit of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slissen

A bad Live version of Adele Skyfall...

Off topic a bit: I think Douwe Dobb wil going to score high scores/hopes on songs contest 2016 because he having that ''i do what i whant and don't give a dam what other think'' what Anouk and mabey Sam Smith have too.

I don't whant to lissen to Writing's on the wall til it be played on the radio again/till i have seen movie and then i wil lissen to it on single/soundtrack. Because i don't to much focus on lyrics.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It's at number one on billboard

Ah, the open minded vast majority has spoken. Proof of its brilliance.
  • So everyone that doesn't like the song is closed-minded! Do you apply that philosophy with everything in life?
    Of course, I am that closed-minded.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    All in all, at the end of the day, it's just a song that applies to the taste of some people, and to some others it doesn't. Some approve, some don't. It depends on what your ear wants to hear and what your mood wants to acquire. Just like the films, some like, some don't. There's no reason to leap over and name some 'close minded' or submit comparisons forcing down the throats of the ones who don't approve and vice versa.

I'm happy the song made it to the top on the charts, because in a way it would promote the gig better and have financial incomes from it, which would benefit the production. Personally, I still think it should have had a singer of a different genre with more enthusiastic approach to his or her execution of the tone, and I still wouldn't have missed the chance of getting Lana Del Rey's song without losing a minute. But, it is what it is, and we aren't the ones who would decide it. EON does know what it is doing for the good marketing.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Next pivotal date: October 23rd. The release of Thomas Newman's score :-D!!!
    Hopefully we're going to hear a couple of tracks earlier, like with Skyfall.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 187
    It's at number one on billboard

Ah, the open minded vast majority has spoken. Proof of its brilliance.

It's not No. 1 on Billboard, The Weeknd is. It's the No. 1 trending song on the social media chart that tracks the most talked about tracks on Twitter, Facebook, ect. It hasn't been included on the singles chart yet. Look for yourself;

billboard.com/charts/hot-100

No wonder it is being talked about so much. And I was being sarcastic, by the way.
    No wonder it is being talked about so much. And I was being sarcastic, by the way.

Just making sure. ;) A lot of people have been praising it already on Twitter saying it's No. 1 not knowing what it's No. 1 of and I saw one person telling Adele to "go suck it." lol
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    What if it's (speculation might be spoiler apparently)
    The POV of the main villain? Don't spoil any details.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    So, after listening it many many time, I've the strong believe that it is one of the best Bond songs ever.
    I understand a part of you can understand it, and that as a Bond song itself maybe it's not so fantastic. But trust me, it will fit perfectly in the movie.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    So, after listening it many many time, I've the strong believe that it is one of the best Bond songs ever.
    I understand a part of you can understand it, and that as a Bond song itself maybe it's not so fantastic. But trust me, it will fit perfectly in the movie.

Best Bond song ever? Better than Goldfinger? Live and Let Die? Better than We have all the time in the world? Better than From Russia With Love? Better than Nobody Does it better? Better than Thunderball? Better than A View to a Kill? Better than Diamonds are Forever?

The best Bond song ever...good luck with that.
    Do you know the difference between "one of the best" and "the best"?
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

Is it like sitting on a fence and waiting to see where the wind blows or like towing the party line?

What does one the best songs ever really mean? It means nothing, no substance, just a general safe statement that covers off all bases.

Stalin was one best dictators ever. Pol Pot was one of the best dictators ever. Ebola is one of the best viruses ever. They're not good though are they, like P*ssing on the Wall.

Yeah, right.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Indeed, if someone thinks it's 'one of the best' they should at least show us where in their rankings it sits.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    delfloria wrote: »
    I try and be as open minded as possible but this song is being sung from 007's point of view and lacks any of his "Blunt Instrument" persona.

I can picture DC now from the red nose day mockumentary for comic relief with the chipmunk squeaky voice:

Picture%2017.png

http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/media/Comic-Relief-Red-Nose-Day-2015-James-Bond-007-Sketch.mp4
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Seal would have knocked 'em dead for this film. Why didn't they pick him?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Sark wrote: »
    Indeed, if someone thinks it's 'one of the best' they should at least show us where in their rankings it sits.

I prefer WOTW more than Goldfinger and Thunderball. Everyone's knocking the lyrics but have you heard Goldfinger's lyrics? They're stupid. Same with Thunderball.
  • RC7RC7
    MrLunn wrote: »

Is it like sitting on a fence and waiting to see where the wind blows or like towing the party line?

What does one the best songs ever really mean? It means nothing, no substance, just a general safe statement that covers off all bases.

Stalin was one best dictators ever. Pol Pot was one of the best dictators ever. Ebola is one of the best viruses ever. They're not good though are they, like P*ssing on the Wall.

It's a great song.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Well it's out there now and for those who don't like it, there's nothing we can do about it except accept it and hope for something more suitable 3 yrs from now. For the record I think GF and TB blow this thing out of the water, but that's just me.

It's unfortunate that the lyrics and the singer's singing approach (and that's really all it is, because many of us who can't stand this song actually don't mind hearing it sung by some of the cover artists) are polarizing the fan base so much.

If I was EON I wouldn't have chosen to go this route (I really didn't care who the singer was and had an open mind to Smith, but I would have personally controlled the schmaltz a little more, given it's coming from Bond's perspective......from what I heard, when Logan was scriptwriting similar syrupy aspects were in the script as well and had to be cleaned out).

The reason it's so painful for some fans is because it doesn't reflect who they think Bond is.....I personally feel it's more suited to the Twilight crowd.

Having said that, if it puts bums in seats (to be determined) and gets people talking (it has) then I'll live with it, because that's what's important these days, it seems...
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I was away for 8 days and returned home more sick (flu) than I was when leaving (not surprisingly), injured (twisted ankle), tired as hell, and basically feeling physically miserable, but otherwise fine and happy, and I've been trying to catch up. This thread had over a 1000 new posts, geez...

Ok, the song... I was only vaguely familiar with Sam Smith's name before he was rumoured to do the song. I listened to some of his music then and didn't like it, and didn't like his voice. So, I was hoping he wouldn't be doing it, and said so. When it was eventually confirmed it would be him, I thought oh well, never mind, it's the movie that matters.

I went through quite a lot of comments in this thread before I had a chance to listen to the song, and going by them I thought it might be even worse than I feared. Upon listening to it - which I have by now done many times - I realized it's actually not that bad. Much better than I expected. Not amazing, and not something I'd want to buy for myself, but still pretty good. I still don't like Sam Smith's voice, but it doesn't bother me, either. To my surprise I didn't even hate the falsetto (though I agree with those who said Bono and BeeGees have done falsetto better). The lyrics aren't great, but lyrics of even much better pop songs usually aren't, and I don't care about that too much. In short, I can't say I love it, but I like it more than I dared to hope for.

I'm a bit confused about how important a song is considered to be, though. Do people really go see a movie (any movie) because they like the theme song? Or decide against seeing a movie if they dislike the theme song? I realize people do all sorts of weird stuff one doesn't comprehend, but I would imagine that a song's influence of selling movie tickets would be minimal, not something of great importance, but I guess I'm just clueless.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    So who knew.... middle aged blokey Bond fans weren't quite Sam Smith's audience demographic after all?! Some of the responses and the kneejerk damning of a whole [nearly] three hour film based on just a four minute part of it has been most amusing.

And yes - there has been a whiff of homophobia about some of the comments knocking about regarding Sam Smith and this Bond song. Not wholly on MI6 (but it's there in parts). He's too "effeminate", "it's too girly" etc etc. I don't remember anyone remarking on Chris Cornell saying "he's just way too masculine". People often don't mean it nor do they know they are doing it, but yes - there has been an element of homophobia surrounding this deliberately strange, personal and different sounding Bond song.
    @Tuulia, that's a good question about the influence of the song.

Sam Smith was chosen for his current popularity. His purpose first and foremost imho was to create awareness for the film, and to cast a wide net (like Adele). He has succeeded. Now the trailers and word of mouth will do the rest (in terms of getting people into theatres) but at least with all the press (good and bad) enough people know there is a James Bond movie out there with a song sung by Sam Smith. Mission accomplished.

In terms of it driving people to the theatre, that is a different question. It may, since more people know about it.

Speaking from my personal perspective, my enthusiasm for SP has diminished dramatically. I know it's irrational, but that's the way I feel at this point. I'm sure the film will turn me around and I hope the score will do the same, but the sheer depressiveness/god awful misery of this song (to me) has certainly taken away that eagerness I had.....I won't deny it. Even Madonna didn't do that for me. That song was crap, but it was not depressive.

The good news about this is the film can only be better than this song for me. So I'm one who is likely going to be very positively surprised in the theatre. I cannot be let down any more than I am now, and that's a good thing from my perspective.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,599
    Interesting perspective re the "whiff of homophobia". The song should be judged on its own merits. If some think its "too girly" for a Bond movie, they have every right to state that as an opinion without being alleged of homophobia. I have said that its too fragile, too needy, too soft etc, yes, perhaps too girly. Does that means that I am homophobic ? Obviously, I hope not. Homosexuals and hetrosexuals are both equally capable of creating fantastic and dreadful music, one has nothing to do with the other. Music written by a homosexual is not exempt from critical comment. It would be patronizing to thing anything else.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Finally found a youtube link to the song. For those who are interested:

edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    Music written by a homosexual is not exempt from critical comment. It would be patronizing to thing anything else.
    Indeed. I agree. I did not know about his sexual orientation until I read about it on here and it's really not relevant to the topic at hand. I personally was raving after the 15s clip.
    I don't remember anyone remarking on Chris Cornell saying "he's just way too masculine".
    James Bond can never be 'too masculine' imho. Quite simply, that's why there were no remarks to that effect about Cornell. I think it's inappropriate and just plain wrong to associate some of our disgust about this song with any implications about our views on gays. That is a false equivalence. Sure I think the song sounds 'girly', but that has no reflection on my view of Smith. If Cornell had sung the song this way I would have said the same thing about it. Thank goodness he did not.
  • I was waiting for the 'homophobia' accusations aimed at those of us that said the song wasn't 'manly' enough. It's like saying people who don't want a black Bond, (I'm one of them), are racist. It doesn't work like that, and it's a little insulting to be honest.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While there may be a very small number of people who don't like Smith's involvement because of his sexual preference, I think that too often the knee jerk accusation of "homophobia" is an easy, LAZY, way to dismiss those who don't like his vocals. For me it is his delivery, and voice, that ruins the song for me. With that said George Michael would have owned this, as would have Elton John and the late Freddie Mercury