Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't know if anybody else thought about this. But, I was listening to the Piano cover of TWOTW, and I noticed that some parts reminded me a lot about another piece of music. I spent an hour or so thinking what it was, when I finally remembered. One of the Aphex Twin songs.

Listen for yourselves. Some parts are kind of similar. Mainly the first two minutes of both.

I just wanted to mention that I really enjoy the instrumental version. I'm really starting to warm up to it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    There's some sort of old idiom which states, "Nothing is as good as you think it is; and it's never as bad as you think it is."

The latter part of that statement seems to apply here.

I'm still warming up to the song, but it's not exactly complete, utter crap. Is there some overreaction going on here?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The instrumental version is quite good. Like it. The main issue is Smith's falsetto singing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The instrumental version is quite good. Like it. The main issue is Smith's falsetto singing.
    I agree, it is. As I said earlier his delivery is too "pleading" and "needy" to be from Bond's perspective; the falsetto elevates those qualities. Craig's Bond is a complex character who is a lot of things, but he is not needy and would not plead or beg.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    If the song was for the Broadway Bond musical that isn't happening (for people who love Broadway and hate James Bond) I'd be fine with it.
  • Next pivotal date: October 23rd. The release of Thomas Newman's score :-D!!!
    talos7 wrote: »
    I agree, it is. As I said earlier his delivery is too "pleading" and "needy" to be from Bond's perspective; the falsetto elevates those qualities. Craig's Bond is a complex character who is a lot of things, but he is not needy and would not plead or beg.

I think the reason many of us that can't stand the vocal version find the instrumental versions OK, is that the the two worst features of the song, the lame lyrics and the terrible falsetto vocals are both missing.

I think much of the distress over the song by many posters on here and those in the media is due to a sinking feeling over Mendes' and EON's taste and judgement. Is SS's Bond their Bond?

I can't help but wonder what Craig really thinks of this thing. He has spent 10 years of his life creating his complex version of Bond, and SS spends 20 minutes writing a song that reinterprets Craig's Bond into a weak, needy wimp.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Next pivotal date: October 23rd. The release of Thomas Newman's score :-D!!!
    is there a URL for this?

• Matt007 wrote: »
    I don't get the dislike to this extent.

If we remove the "how do I live..," refrain section with the falsettos and add drums and full orchestra under the last bit would we all be happier?

Yeah that's my main issue. It isn't great, but it's really only a few lines that really drag the song down.

I prefer the stronger sounding themes anyway, probably why YKMN is in my top 3 or so Bond themes.
    Next pivotal date: October 23rd. The release of Thomas Newman's score :-D!!!
    Oh god..I am going to be spoiled by one of the OST's titles again, aren't I?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have listened to it 12 times as of this a.m. I can appreciate more now that Sam really can sing. If he had sung this song in a lower range, that would have helped, for sure. But the tune itself is problematic - it is really not memorable.

So my assessment of this particular song remains pretty much the same. It will be in the bottom half for Bond title songs, for me. I don't hate it, but it is disappointing. I feel it could have been much, much better.

I do believe, though, that it will be greatly improved as we hear it in the theater, with the splendid opening titles - all that excitement it will be immersed in will give it a huge boost; and we'll segue into the film no problem.
    patb wrote: »

Yup. It depends how you pronounce words, but "day" rhymes with "face"

Even "great" rhymes with "day" and "face"

Here's how you would pronounce them:

dei

feis

greit

They all have "ei" in them so you can rhyme them :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ahh ...now I greit it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Although I'm one of the few that enjoys this song, someone uploaded another version with a few more instruments in the background & it sounds great! Check it out...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37ueuc_sam-smith-writing-s-on-the-wall-nc-re-work_music
    Matt007 wrote: »
    If we remove the "how do I live..," refrain section with the falsettos and add drums and full orchestra under the last bit would we all be happier?
    I would. The falsetto is the worst part. It ruins the song for me. The build-up is actually decent. I have listened to every single cover-version out there already, and my conclusion is: it should have been sung by a woman. Here's another cover I just found, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=108&v=XQpxdcu9H-U
    I agree, it does work better sung by a woman. And if it is meant to be from Bond's perspective, the falsetto is even more objectionable and out of character.
  • ^^ I really actually kind of like the majority of Smith's vocals, but his falsetto ruins that part of the song. As a whole the song works a lot better sung by a woman.
    Might've worked better if it was sung from a possible point of view of Swann herself instead of Bond's POV. Bond girl's most always get clingy and passionate. Bond not so much. The song just doesn't fit Bond's persona what-so-ever.
    Ha ha, the Korean Airlines commercial just came on and I like that song better. "It's all about you....."
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited September 2015 Posts: 538
    Big question is what does Mendes do with the feedback. Do they move SS to the end credits?
    km16 wrote: »
    Might've worked better if it was sung from a possible point of view of Swann herself instead of Bond's POV.
    It might very well be. But this is the wrong thread discussing this.
    Big question is what does Mendes do with the feedback. Do they move SS to the end credits?

I had the same thought but doubt it will happen.

Zekidk wrote: »
    Might've worked better if it was sung from a possible point of view of Swann herself instead of Bond's POV.

Really? So this is the wrong thread in which to critique the song and state how it might've been improved? Because I saw the appreciation thread, didn't know there was a bashing thread as well.

I haven't seen the movie, I don't know what it's about other than what we've been shown and the fact everything about this film seems like they're generously borrowing from OHMSS (the trailer made that blatantly obvious with the music cue). But considering this is a James Bond film, and James Bond films all have a girl in which Bond can romance, that is what I'm saying potentially would've made the song better to come from the girl's point of view.

• I am sure eon will ditch this or at least relegate it to a closing title song that will probably clear cinemas quicker than a fire alarm.
    Surely they have way too much respect for the fans to subject them to this?
    Even 'The Pinball Wizard' realises that this is a complete and utter load of pony & trap!
  • Mrcoggins wrote: »
    @DoctorNo that was a very impressive first post welcome on to the worlds best Bond site I hope you will enjoy your time here .

Careful @DoctorNo, this guy has a broom!

• edited September 2015 Posts: 3,168
    Zekidk wrote: »

Really? So this is the wrong thread in which to critique the song and state how it might've been improved?
    No, most certainly not. But it is the wrong thread if you want to discuss if the lyrics match Swann's character ;-) We have a leak-thread for this.
  • I really dont understand why people dislike the song. I actually really like it, though it wouldn't be the first bond song I like that a lot of people dislike. Is it true that the feedback is generally negative? I actually enjoyed the song a lot and thought that a consensus of fans would agree, genuinely suprised that people are criticizing it. Maybe I just have a bad taste in music.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Sark wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »

You need to listen to it a MINIMUM of 5 times I'd say, trust me. You'll like it more.

And I still say this is an absurd standard. I didn't like it the first or second time. Why listen to it ten more times to try and force myself to like it?

And who has ever said "Bond goosebumps"?

That's like saying you tried a sip of whiskey one time and didn't like it. It requires more tasting to really "get it". It's just that kind of song.

Sure, and if you drink enough rot gut tequila you'll start to like it. It doesn't mean it's worth the effort or that anyone should.

Can you think of some non=Bond songs that I should listen to again and again until I like them?

So what's your point? That you're close minded?

"Rather a sweeping statement considering we've never met."

Being open-minded is about trying new things and listening to new ideas. I've tried foods that would probably make your stomach turn and I've entertained ideas that my instincts told me to reject out of hand. Being open-minded doesn't mean I have to like the same things as you, nor does it mean forcing yourself to like things. It means giving things a try, and if they don't work they don't work.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Will they release a music video?????

If they do, it certainly won't be the movie titles themselves prior to release date. I think that would be giving too much away in advance, so I'm afraid we'll just have to patient and wait another month.

:(
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I really dont understand why people dislike the song. I actually really like it, though it wouldn't be the first bond song I like that a lot of people dislike. Is it true that the feedback is generally negative? I actually enjoyed the song a lot and thought that a consensus of fans would agree, genuinely suprised that people are criticizing it. Maybe I just have a bad taste in music.

I don't understand it either, especially since the movie isn't out yet and no one knows how it could play into the story. I loved it right when it started and up until it ended. All I could think was we have another song that's going to be a classic. When it finished I came to this forum expecting to see so much praise and instead got this disappointment from the fans. It'll take some time but this is going to be one of those well remembered classic Bond songs.
    If anyone has time I highly recommend you listen to this podcast that another member posted in the appreciation thread. These two hit the nail on the head.
    http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-writings-on-the-wall-sam-smith-reviewed/