Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• royale65 wrote: »
    Regardless of my feelings for the song, I'm glad its No. 1 on the billboard 100.

I don't get these hit charts. One should look at those US Billboard charts 7 days after the release no?

I thought in the US "Skyfall" then topped #2 place no?? So how does this go for "WOTW" now?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'm glad we got a "different" Bond song. Not every theme has to be the same, there has to be progress.

I'm really curious about the opening of Spectre. It'll be much different than what we're used to.

Lana del Rey's song is good too, maybe it'll play during the credits?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've listened to it three times now and love it! I don't understand why some hate it. Everything about it is classic Bond. It gave me chills. I think I might actually like Smith's "Writing's on the Wall" more than Adele's "Skyfall". I was looking forward to SPECTRE but now I'm excited for it! For some reason it made me think of Thunderball and now I would like to hear Smith's version of it.
    One of the things makes a Bond song classic is when it can't be duplicated better by any other performer and thus becomes iconic. I've already heard two cover version by female performers that have felt much better and actually given me chills as Bond theme when I heard them. No one has ever come near or duplicated Bassey's Goldfinger, Jones' Thunderball, Adele's SKYFALL, Simon's "Nobody Does it Better", Lang's Surrender, Bassey's "Diamonds Are Forever". The same cannot be said for the future of "Writings on the Wall".
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    One thing's been made certain:

2vuydeg.png

Who is that old man in the picture? :-?

In the background? Idris Elba.

Brilliant!! Ha ha ha.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    royale65 wrote: »
    Regardless of my feelings for the song, I'm glad its No. 1 on the billboard 100.

I don't get these hit charts. One should look at those US Billboard charts 7 days after the release no?

I thought in the US "Skyfall" then topped #2 place no?? So how does this go for "WOTW" now?

We're not in the 00's anymore it's 2015 where the music charts is a dynamic process that gets updated every hour.
    Physical sales of singles and EP's are extinct.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    That's true. The selection for Sam Smith as the Bond theme singer is a solid Commercial decision. It will add to the hype, he is actually talented and it may well fit very well into the film.
    It is not a great song but I like it.

Sam Smiths cd has far more inspired songs on it and this song does not feel like he brought his A-game but it is kind of different from his usual stuff. Too be honest I would have preferred his more normal style.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    While I wanted an exciting theme some, when they announced SS I accepted (or prepared myself) for a schmaltzy love song... and I could have possibly even have liked it, if it had a romantic melody and good instrumentation (FRWL).

But this is a horrible TV singing contest ballad with some Bondian strings in the background. The worst thing about it is it's suppose to be from Bonds perspective... Apparently now a wimpy preteen who's about to burst into tears. And this is what I fear from Sam Mendes, overwrought and syrupy melodrama to show emotion from the character. That's fine for theater goers and this kind of music has its place for those who like it, but it's dreck for James Bond films (or films in general).

It's funny how they picked Chris Cornell to reintroduce Bond as someone's whose balls have dropped and four movies later we get this... how the hell did Craig sign off on this? Even if EON wanted a piece of the cash SS would bring in and Mendes wanted emotional dreck, wouldn't your lead being pissed give you pause? Or how about your loyal fan base?

I was worried with Mendes getting another one, but I figure he could improve and make a better movie... This first cue isn't a good sign.
    Now you can blame Craig.................... because he IS one of the producers. Great things always happen when actors become producers on Bond films. Can we say NSNA.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Put it this way; I can see the positives in the song even though I would have preferred Paloma Faith to have done the theme! Just thank your lucky stars they didn't pick Ed Sheeran!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @DoctorNo Great post.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    talos7 wrote: »
    @DoctorNo Great post.

+2
    @Gustav_Graves posted us this link: http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-writings-on-the-wall-sam-smith-reviewed/

It's interesting because it's very true. I'll be honest, I didn't like it the first time. But each time it gets better and better. And I can tell people are coming around to the theme, even a day after. The reason why everyone online is reacting negatively to the song is because they listened to it once and IMMEDIATELY wrote their opinion. This song definitely grows on you. It's so different but amazing in that respect.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @DoctorNo that was a very impressive first post welcome on to the worlds best Bond site I hope you will enjoy your time here .
  • talos7 wrote: »
    @DoctorNo Great post.

Welcome @DoctorNo. But I disagree full 200%.
    Thank you, talos7
    delfloria... If you follow behind the scenes, Craig is a major partner in the creation of these films. I explained Eon and Mendes motivation, I'd hoped Craig would be the voice of reason, particularly about character perspective and representation. And I do think if he said 'no, not happy with this" they would listen. NSNA is a poor point.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Daniel Craig is nowhere on the level of Tom Cruise when it comes to producing power and influence. He may even like the song, who cares...it's the film that's most important.

DAF is an incredible Bond song but the film itself not so much. Perspective, people.
  • DoctorNo wrote: »
    Thank you, talos7
    delfloria... If you follow behind the scenes, Craig is a major partner in the creation of these films. I explained Eon and Mendes motivation, I'd hoped Craig would be the voice of reason, particularly about character perspective and representation. And I do think if he said 'no, not happy with this" they would listen. NSNA is a poor point.

You forget one very crucial fact here. It was Daniel Craig who was the most radical supporter of Adele to get her returned for a "SPECTRE" title song. Sam Mendes was slightly more in the middle of it all, not minding a new singer or Adele. Finally, it was Adele who turned the offer of $5 Million down to return. Solely her choice.

And.....linking the quality of the title song to the quality of the film at this stage I find complete bullocks. Try to be patient....and re-watch the edited version of the song within Daniel Kleinman's main title design...once you're in the cinema.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, you have a point! Some of you are really worrying about the quality of the film solely based on the title song and nothing else? Don't ruin your experience for the movie already.
    So, Adele said no. What does that have to with Craig being ok with this song?
    I havent trashed the film, don't have it to review, only said song isn't good and not a good sign because of melodrama and characterization which I linked to Mendes who is directing
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    While I wanted an exciting theme some, when they announced SS I accepted (or prepared myself) for a schmaltzy love song... and I could have possibly even have liked it, if it had a romantic melody and good instrumentation (FRWL).

But this is a horrible TV singing contest ballad with some Bondian strings in the background. The worst thing about it is it's suppose to be from Bonds perspective... Apparently now a wimpy preteen who's about to burst into tears. And this is what I fear from Sam Mendes, overwrought and syrupy melodrama to show emotion from the character. That's fine for theater goers and this kind of music has its place for those who like it, but it's dreck for James Bond films (or films in general).

It's funny how they picked Chris Cornell to reintroduce Bond as someone's whose balls have dropped and four movies later we get this... how the hell did Craig sign off on this? Even if EON wanted a piece of the cash SS would bring in and Mendes wanted emotional dreck, wouldn't your lead being pissed give you pause? Or how about your loyal fan base?

I was worried with Mendes getting another one, but I figure he could improve and make a better movie... This first cue isn't a good sign.

I mainly agree with you. I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig but this franchise needs a new direction in my opinion. We explored so much of Bond's background so far and I believe Spectre will dig even deeper into this direction. I would love to see a bad ass Bond back on a mission sent by M. and a bad ass Bond needs some up beat music. Nothing wrong with Sam Smith. If you book this guy you know what you'll get. And that's what he delivered. It's just not my cup of tea and the direction Bond went into since Mendes isn't either. All of them are great guys I think and top notch in their profession. I just want something else in the future. Need to watch TLD...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Based on the trailers, Bond looks pretty badass on a Badass mission. I think the delving into his past a little more is just the cherry on the cake.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    That would make me happy, @Murdock.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Hmmm, OK, so maybe it's growing on me. I actually hummed a bit of it just now, and I....didn't like it less. So that's a start. And I played the first half for my wife, she said 'Wait 'til you hear it with all the stuff on the screen," which is a smart observation that has been mentioned here. Will this be on the CD soundtrack? Does that have a release date yet? Still hoping for some huge-a** Barry style brass. And the gun barrel at the start, natch. If Mendes sticks it on the back again- I'll never return his calls again.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    =bg= wrote: »
    Hmmm, OK, so maybe it's growing on me. I actually hummed a bit of it just now, and I....didn't like it less. So that's a start. And I played the first half for my wife, she said 'Wait 'til you hear it with all the stuff on the screen," which is a smart observation that has been mentioned here. Will this be on the CD soundtrack? Does that have a release date yet? Still hoping for some huge-a** Barry style brass. And the gun barrel at the start, natch. If Mendes sticks it on the back again- I'll never return his calls again.

There was some evidence leading to people thinking that the theme song would appear on the soundtrack as I believe it did with QoS. Something about the credits on one of the posters... Sorry I can't provide more but maybe someone who knows more can chime in.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Murdock wrote: »
    Based on the trailers, Bond looks pretty badass on a Badass mission. I think the delving into his past a little more is just the cherry on the cake.

Yep...in fact Mendes has been harping on about SP is all about Bond being on a mission and he's clearly being incredibly badass along the way.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,979
    I liked WotW better on a second listen but am still unsure.

IMHO, part of the problem of recent songs, even the ones I like, is that they rely on the Bond/Bond-like theme too much to make them "distinctive" (GE, YKMN, SF). The only recent theme that feels original is TWINE.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I didn't like the song. It sounds simple and lacks a lot of stuff. It seems that not a lot of work has been put into it. Also, it looks more fitting for a woman (pun intended).

It has grown on me a bit as it does have a Bondian sound, and I think it will work with the opening titles. However, that falsetto remains irritating, and it doesn't improve with more listening. Perhaps they should consider altering that in a film version.

Final verdict: serviceable, but in the lower part of the chart.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,756
    I don't
    echo wrote: »
    I liked WotW better on a second listen but am still unsure.

IMHO, part of the problem of recent songs, even the ones I like, is that they rely on the Bond/Bond-like theme too much to make them "distinctive" (GE, YKMN, SF). The only recent theme that feels original is TWINE.

You need to listen to it a MINIMUM of 5 times I'd say, trust me. You'll like it more.

I don't understand, how some of you can say it's bad and only listened to it like once. I needed at least 10 listens before I got "the Bond goosebumps" as they say.