Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @Zorin61 Agreed. It's a beautiful song, and the crescendos are chilling. It's been stuck in my head all day so far.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice, agreed @Zorin61 @DonnyDB5
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    I can whine whine with the best of them and I'm partial to throwing my toys out of the pram, but seriously, what a miserable bunch of fuckers some of you are.

I came in here to post that we should create a new "Writing's On the Wall Appreciation Thread" so that the 6 of us or whatever that like the song can talk about it in a safe environment ;)

It's a snowball effect, a few people in the very beginning say they don't like the song, more and more people have the same opinion so they get louder and louder because they know they share an opinion with the majority.

I'm disappointed the song is getting a negative reaction, I think it's a great track and his voice is magnificent all the way through. Hope Smith isn't too discouraged reading all the trash.

Everybody has an opinion. Not to my liking.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,185
    I can whine whine with the best of them and I'm partial to throwing my toys out of the pram, but seriously, what a miserable bunch of fuckers some of you are.

I came in here to post that we should create a new "Writing's On the Wall Appreciation Thread" so that the 6 of us or whatever that like the song can talk about it in a safe environment ;)

It's a snowball effect, a few people in the very beginning say they don't like the song, more and more people have the same opinion so they get louder and louder because they know they share an opinion with the majority.

I'm disappointed the song is getting a negative reaction, I think it's a great track and his voice is magnificent all the way through. Hope Smith isn't too discouraged reading all the trash.

I like the song too, it is not the best track in the world. But they they made a very good attempt to go back to the classic instrumentals like YOLT with this, and at the same time gave it a modern touch with sam's voice (love it or hate it)
    i think it will pay off in the end. As far as i remeber half of everyone here was hating on Skyfall when it was released, i wasn't sure myself back then what to think of it.
    All that matters is that the song fits the movie and we will see if it does in a couple weeks.
    As to the main points of criticism:
    1) too high singing: it is quite interesting that no one mentions A-Ha the living daylights in here. Seems that no one had a problem back then with a high singing male singer... ok whatever

2) too 'emotional/sensitive': the quintessetial scene (or one of the) of Craigs run, is and will always be his lovestory with vesper and especially the "i have no armor left..." line. Again, no one had a problem with it back then. This song takes that theme and runs with it. Looks like Spectre will dig a bit deeper into that. and i am totally fine with that AS LONG as they don't overdo it, and i don't think they will, cause it will probably be just as much of an revenge movie due to Blowaltz... So really, everybody just chill out...
  • KillmasterKillmaster Roanoke, Virginia USA
    After it's had the addition of full orchestration and it's playing over an awesome opening title sequence I'm certain that some of the negative opinions will turn around.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,168
    00Agent wrote: »
    2) too 'emotional/sensitive': the quintessetial scene (or one of the) of Craigs run, is and will always be his lovestory with vesper and especially the "i have no armor left..." line. Again, no one had a problem with it back then.
    Of course. It was a reboot. How many decades can "becoming Bond" last? Hopefully just one.
  • pjtpjt
    jake24 wrote: »
    Whoever isn't liking the song, just listen to Die Another Day right before it and I promise you'll love it.

Well, that's just what I'm doing right now. And I can tell you WOTW really succeeded in one thing, after listening to it twice the conclusion was: DAD and AWTD aren't that awful after all. :D
    pjt wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Whoever isn't liking the song, just listen to Die Another Day right before it and I promise you'll love it.

Well, that's just what I'm doing right now. And I can tell you WOTW really succeeded in one thing, after listening to it twice the conclusion was: DAD and AWTD aren't that awful after all. :D

All other things aside... Another Way to Die is a great track, just doesn't really work as a Bond theme.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,116
    AWTD gives me a headache, DAD makes me stupid, and WOTW makes me depressed and nauseous.

Just kidding ...didn't dislike DAD or AWTD but didn't really go for them.

WOTW is just such a great song drowned out by horrible vocals.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

:))
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,261
    The daily mail has summed this up perfectly "No wonder Sam could write this in 20 minutes he forgot to write a melody and a chorus"

Exactly my impression, Sir Hilary. I hope it will start to grow on me when the movie opens over here on November 4th (already booked tickets for the first screening - 7 weeks in advance, never did that before). Well, at least it is not as bad as DAD (I doubt any other artist would deliver such a poor pile of crap and get away with it and cashing in the money) or AWTD. But way beyond the achievements of classic or very good Bond songs (GF, DAD, DAF, LALD, ATK, TLD, GE, YKMN, and SF). Mediocre at its best. In Germany we have the saying "he/she tried his/her best", meaning, that it is not good at all. But if Kleinman comes up with a terrific opening credits sequence, it might work.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Of course. It was a reboot. How many decades can "becoming Bond" last? Hopefully just one.
    So they address it again, and are going full circle with it, whats so bad about that? At least Craigs movies have a continuity. I want them to address Vesper again, since he never really got closure or the guys behind it all. They will pull all the emotial strings in this movie, as hinted at by Blofelds 'author of all your pain' line.
    Will be interesting to see how Madeline Swann plays into all that

• Risico007 wrote: »
    it's a demo that somehow got released. It is. this is a first draft.
    I'm getting your exactly on this. I'll repeat the point - emperor's new clothes. Sam Smith believes his own hype that he is some sort of musical genius. He isn't, he's a bit of a diva and he happens to land on a large demographic, which is a bigger driver of his appeal than his talent.

I'm betting that whoever hired him for this believed the hype too.

If it was a high profile young male singer they wanted then why didn't they give John Newman a call?
  • After listening WOTW 5 times, I must admit that I like it. Not the best theme of the franchise, but good enough for me. I hope it to be used in the score by Thomas Newman.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Does it need to be said that if you need to listen to a song repeatedly to like it then its not a good song? Thats called brainwashing.
    Sark wrote: »
    Does it need to be said that if you need to listen to a song repeatedly to like it then its not a good song? Thats called brainwashing.

This is just nonsense. I've dismissed countless songs at first because they were too weird, and then they come back and impress you in new ways after some time. Also why would someone listen to a song repeatedly in order to convince themselves to like it? What stake does a person have in any song that they have to 'work' in order to make themselves like it? Finally your thesis only works under the conditions that there is objectively good and bad songs which is of course horseshit.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Some songs we're just repeatedly exposed to, and thus come to 'like' based primarily bin familiarity. Think of terrible pop songs that get played dozens of times a day and then even people who don't care for it getvso used to it that they him it.

Why would a Bond fan want to convince themself that a Bond theme doesn't suck? Well, I'll let you figure that out yourself.
    Great song. Very Bondian. Echoes of Barry era Bond. I was dubious when Sam Smith was announced but Im happy to have been proven wrong. Cant wait to heat the Tom Newman sound track. Hope its as good as Skyfall.
  • I had an afternoon dream actually, about the reactions of people now and later...

The song gets praised after viewing the film
    The film gets bashed after viewing it
  • RC7 wrote: »

I have been critical myself. While I'm not a fan of the song myself, I absolutely despise some of the reactions in here towards Sam Smith. If Mr Smith would be checking this forum, he would hang himself :-(.....or at least starting to cry. People in here should think about that. And also......rephrasing some of the foul, offensive, tabloid-esque bickering in here wouldn't be a bad idea!

Criticise the song?? Be my guest. But let's not forgat that a good chap, who struggled himself in his life with his weight and so on, made this song. People really need to be more respectful towards each other, epecially in ht ecreative industry when it's really a lot about personal taste, and not about simply scoaring a goal in overtime.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Oh, he was fat before? Then I like it.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,400
    Listened to it again- this one just way misses the mark. It has no hook. It just..aimlessly wanders. I worked in major market commercial radio for many years- I know a hook when I hear one- and this just doesn't have one. Guess I'll go put kd lands 'surrender' on. THAT is a theme song.
    My main problem is that it sounds like it's building to something cool but then he just goes all falsetto. "Sounding wimpy" isn't my problem with falsetto, it's just not a very good sound imo.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Oh, he was fat before? Then I like it.

haha This, as a response to GG's comment, made me laugh

Not that I necessarily disagree with GG.
  • Oh, he was fat before? Then I like it.

You miss my point. Look to =bg='s remark below you. He says "It has no hook. It aimlessly wanders". Better saying that than "Stupid faggot stole from Michael Jackson!" or "So because he was fat I'm gonna like it more". One can discuss in a more civilized way no?
    Sark wrote: »
    Some songs we're just repeatedly exposed to, and thus come to 'like' based primarily bin familiarity. Think of terrible pop songs that get played dozens of times a day and then even people who don't care for it getvso used to it that they him it.

Why would a Bond fan want to convince themself that a Bond theme doesn't suck? Well, I'll let you figure that out yourself.

Fair points.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020

Yes let's do this appreciation thread.
    I officially declare hereby that I like Writing's On The Wall.
    When I listened to it live on BBC 1 this morning in the bus to work (on my iPhone with in-ear headphones) shivers run down my spine and my initial reaction was, wow...at last a decent proper Bond song again (Skyfall didn't do that to me).

The hate, yes hate, that song and Sam Smith get in the social media is really stupid.
    Sometimes I think people just need a victim to vent their frustration that they build up in their own lives.
    Sam Smith is probably a welcome target. Gay (yes...homophobia still exists), very successful (envy), still fairly new in the business (not built up enough respect yet) and of course he doesn't look like Justin Bieber or those blokes from One Direction, so the whole girly fraction will bash it too :))

And he is singing with a high voice in places...and that's reason enough to lambast the song??

Anyway, I like it, full stop.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Part of me still wants to listen to it just because of how awful most of you are saying it is.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I need to see it in the titles and how it's incorporated into the score before I truly judge. The opening is excellent. Madonna retains her crown for the worst theme song.