Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Dan signed of on this and it mimics what Dan says about Bond is an emotional mess, he's f@#king lonely all this bad s@!t has happened everyone he loved has died. Although I always believed Dan would do one more everything now including Sam's lyrics suggest Spectre is the birth of bond but the death of Dan's Bond. Dan's tenure including Spectre have all been about what makes Bond a cold hearted b@#stard Mendes himself said Skyfall and Spectre are origin story's. I suspect Spectre is the last chapter in the back story DC era after Spectre Bond movies will be back to old format. I don't see Dan do another when it appears Spectre will complete the back story and set it up for the next actor to come in and take it forward for the next decade. Hope I am wrong as Dan will be a hard act to follow he's been fantastic on screen and what he has contributed off screen with opinions and ideas. I also strongly believe Hardy will be next .
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    @w2bond
    That's not entirely correct:

Yep ;)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,164
    wrong thread
  • jake24 wrote: »
    WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

Add me to that list.

Well, not going to be part of your list yet. But...it does grow on you. And I think, like I said before, it's miles better than "Another Way To Die".

Actually "The Writing's On The Wall" reminds me a bit of these previous Bond song entries. Especially the string sections. Also rather slow-tempo love songs, slightly jazzy, just not having this "Goldfinger"-esque "Oooomph!":

• edited September 2015 Posts: 212
    A tweet from your favorite Bond singer ;)

Roger Moore just said he loves the song.
    Unbelievable x Thank you so much
    @sirrogermoore

https://twitter.com/samsmithworld

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,588
    It pains me to see how many people dislike it. It's a fantastic Bond theme. I hope this doesn't weaken people's perception of Spectre. Glad there are some people on the same page as me.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just listened to it again after a few hrs break.

My immediate reaction this time (on account of a recent Bondathon):
    "Who's strangling a cat"

Voice is rather horrible and whiney imho. Orchestration is excellent as is the overall 'sound'. I'm hopeful we get an instrumental for the titles and this thing is relegated to the end credits.

That too is my hope, that EON realizes they screwed up with this commercial grab using an untested pretentious one hit wonder to front this film and that they move quickly to put this whiny thing on the closing credits and go with an instrumental of the song for the titles. The song started strong, then meanders and all but peters out, and his falsetto vocals ruin it. You can't hide the mistakes with a million strings, no matter how bondian and lush they sound. You can't put lipstick on a pig, to quote what's her name.

For me the real culprit here is not the inexperienced Smith or even EON's bad judgement, but Mendes. A weak, whiny falsetto sound is NOT Bond. Smith's interview about Sam noting they shouldn't make Bond sound too weak, is exactly what I disliked about Mendes work in SF, he keeps trying to make Bond more and more vulnerable and this song plays into that. So this song for me is a downer as it just reflects what I dislike about Mendes take on Bond. I hope I'm dead wrong, because we have waited so long for this film and I so want it to be brilliant.

• I must say that my first impression is quite positive. Sounds like mix between Sam Smith and a Bond theme… Which is what we could expect. Have listened to for about five times now and cannot turn it off. Remember that I could not listen to Skyfall more than once because of its "demo-feeling". The writings on the wall sound, in my opinion, much more professional. Maybe that´s the reason why some relates to a Disney-theme. Which, of course is pretty damn professional.

And, Writing on the wall is better than Sam Smith. Skyfall is worse than Adele.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Is there another link that I'm not aware of ? It's really annoying the way they chose to release this. It should've been on 007.com as Spotify is not available in all countries.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Spot iffy doesn't work where I am. Can I hear it anywhere else?

@Getafix and @JamesSpectre You can listen to it here: http://jbbr.co/SPECTRE-Theme-Song ;)
  • KillmasterKillmaster Roanoke, Virginia USA
    I am pleasantly surprised ... the vocals are a bit "warble-y" for my tastes, but that's his style, so I'll go with it ... the music itself sure sounds Bond-like and I'm sure there'll be more strings and stuff added as well before the film's release, for a fuller, richer sound ... lyrics make some sort of sense, unlike Jack White's AWTD ... not what I would call a new "classic", but definitely MUCH better than Madonna or Sheryl Crow ...
  • Wow! I love it! So emotional and so theatrical! it will be beautiful playing over the credits! BTW, it reminds me 'you only live twice' ... what a song! glad SS did not do skyfall part two! LOVE IT!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    A tweet from your favorite Bond singer ;)

Roger Moore just said he loves the song.
    Unbelievable x Thank you so much
    @sirrogermoore

https://twitter.com/samsmithworld

Sir Rog is just being the gentleman he always is. Sam's going to need all the help he can get for critical if not commercial adulation.

Having said that, he is popular, this will sell a ton of copies and it will probably be a help for the box office with the casual fans (purely as a marketing move....which is why Sam was hired anyway).

The issue is more the impact it has on the hardcore base, who are more discerning, have more set expectations on what a Bond theme should sound like, and may (may) lose a little (just a little) enthusiasm. As mentioned earlier, despite this misstep (imho) the film and the score can still kick butt and redeem everything.

Bottom line: my 4 yr old niece will love this song. She also loved "Let it Go" from Frozen.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Agree. And I'm 100% sure that Thomas Newman will incorporate it on his score.

If that turns out to be true, I bet Newman is absolutely delighted to have to include a tune took 20 minutes to knock up...

I know why I don't like Sam Smith. The singer, not the bloke. He may be a nice bloke!

He tries too hard to sing. It's all high pitch notes. It's like he's trying to sing rather than just singing. Of all the popular singers, he is the one person I wished they hadn't picked. It's a bit of a bummer. The song is okay but his vocals - particularly when he sings

"How do I live? How do I breathe?"

...it's so "I'll sing like a girl" that it's a bit off-putting. Sorry, Sam. I knew I'd dislike his vocals. It's too theatrical. He sings like he's in some west end show. His voice, in my humble opinion, it not suited to pop music even though his success proves to the contrary. But his voice is kinda wimpy for James Bond. I dunno, a more macho voice would be more suitable, surely?

WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

Add me to that list.

Well, not going to be part of your list yet. But...it does grow on you. And I think, like I said before, it's miles better than "Another Way To Die".

Actually "The Writing's On The Wall" reminds me a bit of these previous Bond song entries. Especially the string sections. Also rather slow-tempo love songs, slightly jazzy, just not having this "Goldfinger"-esque "Oooomph!":

Anyone?

Add me to that list.

Yea me 2. I'm basically completely buying it, strongly disagree with people who dislike it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The song is more or less slashed by critics it seems, because they all compare it to Skyfall which should not be done.

The same will happen to the movie I can guarantee this! Spectre will not be able to get good critics, because all those critics were dazed by the hype and gave Skyfall way too good reviews and put it on a pedestal where it doesn't belong. Now they just can't do it again with Spectre without losing their credibility.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »

Add me to that list.

Anyone?

There is a world of difference @Gustav_Graves, at least to my (somewhat hurt this morning) ears. Three of those songs have majestic Barry orchestrations and Look of Love is a classic. The tempo may be similar, but the vocals and orchestration/melody are far superior in the examples you noted.

I'll learn to live with WOTW, but for now it's just above AWTD and DAD in the canon for me. I never thought too highly of Adele's song however, but I did not dislike it. I thought it was average, unlike a lot of others.

This melodrama has to come to an end sometime, and SP may the final curtain call on it, with any luck.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    I have listened to it at least 30 times, now. It's growing on me. The falsetto parts still unnerve me a little...but the orchestral arrangement (same as the intro) coming out of "...the writing's on that wall" is wonderful. The music itself is good. And I love this bit: "I'm prepared for this/I never shoot to miss."
    smitty wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just listened to it again after a few hrs break.

My immediate reaction this time (on account of a recent Bondathon):
    "Who's strangling a cat"

Voice is rather horrible and whiney imho. Orchestration is excellent as is the overall 'sound'. I'm hopeful we get an instrumental for the titles and this thing is relegated to the end credits.

That too is my hope, that EON realizes they screwed up with this commercial grab using an untested pretentious one hit wonder to front this film and that they move quickly to put this whiny thing on the closing credits and go with an instrumental of the song for the titles. The song started strong, then meanders and all but peters out, and his falsetto vocals ruin it. You can't hide the mistakes with a million strings, no matter how bondian and lush they sound. You can't put lipstick on a pig, to quote what's her name.

For me the real culprit here is not the inexperienced Smith or even EON's bad judgement, but Mendes. A weak, whiny falsetto sound is NOT Bond. Smith's interview about Sam noting they shouldn't make Bond sound too weak, is exactly what I disliked about Mendes work in SF, he keeps trying to make Bond more and more vulnerable and this song plays into that. So this song for me is a downer as it just reflects what I dislike about Mendes take on Bond. I hope I'm dead wrong, because we have waited so long for this film and I so want it to be brilliant.

Though I'm still warming up to the song, I think this characterization of Smith is unfair. he's not a "one-hit" wonder. He has had three top 10 hits in the U.S. and a fourth if you count "Latch." He's around to stay, as a pop singer.
  • Concerning the "He wrote the song in 20 minutes…must be bad…"-stupidness. Consider that Adele wrote the text to Skyfall in 10 minutes…
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    One thing is clear, and it's been underlined time and again over the last 20 years or so: Broccoli and Wilson have zero musicality at all. I mean, what were they thinking of?

It has a few nods here and there but mostly it's "007 goes Emo" and contrary to what Sam Smith says, it is all about him and not Bond.

Sorry guys, but in my view we were led to expect a golden goose and we got a turkey.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Eh just heard %-( ..would be great if anybody and I mean ANYBODY else sang it.

Smith's singing ruins the song ...and yes I know he wrote it.

Needed a manly bold voice.

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    edited September 2015 Posts: 252
    Not saying it's a bad song but I don't like it. I actually turned it off. It's the falsetto.
  • "The result is both intimate and epic. Indeed, it may be the greatest vocal of Smith's short career. I think it’s safe to say mission accomplished. Adele who?" The Telegraph
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    It pains me to see how many people dislike it. It's a fantastic Bond theme. I hope this doesn't weaken people's perception of Spectre. Glad there are some people on the same page as me.

Don't worry, there are several of us fighting the good fight.
    According to new scientific research, too much exposure to Sam Smith's Shrieking On The Wall can produce this side effect...

giphy.gif

;))
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    We should never judge music too quickly. I disliked The Joshua Tree, too, the first couple of times I heard that album. I remember thinking, WTF are U2 doing?

Within a month, I considered it a masterpiece.
    TripAces wrote: »
    We should never judge music too quickly. I disliked The Joshua Tree, too, the first couple of times I heard that album. I remember thinking, WTF are U2 doing?

Within a month, I considered it a masterpiece.

You're absolutely correct @TripAces, but I'm quite certain that I won't consider what I heard this morning to be a masterpiece, even with time. I can learn to accept and tolerate it though. What choice do I have, except for a mute button when it hits blu ray.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    The song is more or less slashed by critics it seems, because they all compare it to Skyfall which should not be done.

The same will happen to the movie I can guarantee this! Spectre will not be able to get good critics, because all those critics were dazed by the hype and gave Skyfall way too good reviews and put it on a pedestal where it doesn't belong. Now they just can't do it again with Spectre without losing their credibility.

This likely will happen.
    Cat does a faithful cover of Writing on The Wall:

Wow, I can't tell the difference between the cat and Sam!