Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This thread blew up with over 400 comments since late last night. So, it seems everyone is split on this song, which is shocking. I'm dying to listen to it.
  • JWPepper wrote: »
    WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

I really love it too... That makes just 4 of us. :-)

Five.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't get the hate.

Skyfall was so overrated and Adele belted out the song to the point of screeching.
    The chorus of Skyfall is as dull as the 30 minutes between the PTS and the Shanghai sequence.

Writing's On The Wall is absolutely ok, it's not GoldenEye, but then since GoldenEye there hasn't been a Bond theme that really kicked ass.

For me Sam Smith's contribution belongs in the same category as TWINE, a nice dramatic ballad with good orchestration.

People just are expecting too much really. And they should be glad not to receive another catastrophe like AWTD or DAD or the forgettable YKMN that was only saved by the use of it's melody in the score.
  • Shocking, negatively shocking. :)

I really love it, it's a grower!
  • Just heard a preview. Oh my god. More like some Disney musical than Bond. As of now, I hate it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just listened to it again after a few hrs break.

My immediate reaction this time (on account of a recent Bondathon):
    "Who's strangling a cat"

Voice is rather horrible and whiney imho. Orchestration is excellent as is the overall 'sound'. I'm hopeful we get an instrumental for the titles and this thing is relegated to the end credits.

I very much agree on the comments about Disney. This could be the theme to Bambi, Barbie & Ken, or Frozen 2 as was mentioned earlier.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    The human brain and music are amazing, not knocking anyone here, just saying, its as if you are listening to different music, very wierd.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

Im just saying that a great song, has good marketing value

Of course it does and EoN knows this better than most. Smith singing the song is actually more important than what Bond fans think of the actual song itself Wether it be good or bad.
  • I don't get the hate.

Skyfall was so overrated and Adele belted out the song to the point of screeching.

Well said.

Bring back Arnold to score the main titles next time, for the love of God!

• And why does he sound like he has watermelon in his mouth ?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't get the hate.

The chorus of Skyfall is as dull as the 30 minutes between the PTS and the Shanghai sequence.

Writing's On The Wall is absolutely ok, it's not GoldenEye, but then since GoldenEye there hasn't been a Bond theme that really kicked ass.

For me Sam Smith's contribution belongs in the same category as TWINE, a nice dramatic ballad with good orchestration.

People just are expecting too much really. And they should be glad not to receive another catastrophe like AWTD or DAD or the forgettable YKMN that was only saved by the use of it's melody in the score.

Adele can get away with singing like a woman because she is one. Unfortunately Sam can't.

I haven't seen anybody on here expect a whole lot from the song since Smith was announced - it was much more of a "wait and see" atmosphere. It hasn't even cleared that low barrier.

Skyfall as a song had a much better structure and actually built towards a finish. WOTW just fizzles out.

YKMN deserves far more credit than you give it, too.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    In the end I just bought it on iTunes. The YouTube link sounds absolutely awful so I thought I had to give it a fair chance and listen to the whole thing with decent quality.

First listen - meh. Not awful but not great either. As someone above said, it's all vocal with hardly any melody or audible orchestration. It feels like it needs a few bars where Sam catches his breath and let's the strings and brass do the talking.

Those opening 15 seconds that were released are very misleading. The intrementals just disappear into the background after that.

How we miss Barry. Or perhaps even Arnold to be honest.

I suppose it's a relief that it's not terrible, but there's no melody at all as far as I can tell. I am guessing Newman wasn't involved after all?

Second listen. May be it's a bit of a grower? Nice lyrics. Perhaps the best lyrically for quite a long time?

Hmmm. It definitely rewards a few listens. Not sure it's ever going to be a classic but better than I initially thought.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,600
    In frustration perhaps, we are drifting off topic and attacking/defending previous tracks. Whether YKMN was good or bad (good IMHO) does not alter the fact that we seem to have a massive disappointment on our hands .
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

Im just saying that a great song, has good marketing value

Of course it does and EoN knows this better than most. Smith singing the song is actually more important than what Bond fans think of the actual song itself Wether it be good or bad.

Agreed

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, Sam Smith, is hot property in the music business now. So it was
    Important to get him on board. I'll all help the film. ;)
  • patb wrote: »
    In frustration perhaps, we are drifting off topic and attacking/defending previous tracks. Whether YKMN was good or bad (good IMHO) does not alter the fact that we seem to have a massive disappointment on our hands .

We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the world reacts - which can take a while - before it can truly be labeled a success or disappointment.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    patb wrote: »

Agree. Though I wasn't really expecting anything else. But was hoping that maybe it would be good and I've have to eat humble pie. Also agree re: YKMN, it really grew on me and now I think it's one of the better ones, at least it's got balls!
    I don't get the hate.
    There's hardly any hate. Most people just don't like it.
  • Count me on. Love the song. It will grow on you guys! Sanity check: can you whistle it?
    Just listen to the song. I have to say I really liked it. It's a different kind of song for a Bond film. I definitely can hear the John Barry like Orchestra in the background. Overall good song im giving it a chance
    The orchestra is a bolt on IMHO, you could do that with most pop songs , you could "Barryise" most songs. But the basic melody and, more importantly, the execution of the singing is the real weakness (God, I need to go and lie down)
  • Agree. And I'm 100% sure that Thomas Newman will incorporate it on his score.
  • RC7RC7
    Feel sorry for those who don't like it, genuinely.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

Add me to that list.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't think it will be incorporated in the score. All the previous times this has happened, the title artist and the score composer collaborated/cowrote the song
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    w2bond wrote: »
    I don't think it will be incorporated in the score. All the previous times this has happened, the title artist and the score composer collaborated/cowrote the song
    I hope it is, but won't mind in this particular case if it's not. Hearing an 'incorporation' will just remind me of the dreck that is the title song.

I now can only hope for a punchy, brassy, ballsy score to compensate. All hope is not lost.....yet.
    I think there are two discussions to be had. There is whether you like is as a standalone song and that is purely down to personal choice. What is easier to debate is whether it is suitable as a Bond song and, furthermore, suitable for Spectre. I have thousands of songs that I love but would never consider them as Bond songs. It is still possible to like the SS song but then say its not OK for Bond
    @w2bond
    That's not entirely correct:
  • In order to check if it is suitable as a Bond song you must watch the movie first.