Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    There's no need to come to a consensus on WOTW. If you hate it, blast away. And if you like it, enjoy. Sam Smith's getting paid either way. He'll be ok.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I need to see it in the titles and how it's incorporated into the score before I truly judge. The opening is excellent. Madonna retains her crown for the worst theme song.

This is mostly why I want to wait to hear it in the film, just to see it attached to the themes and hear how it all flows together.
  • I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

Im just saying that a great song, has good marketing value

I have no way to prove it, but Adele's Skyfall was probably the Bond theme the most played ever on French radio in the weeks after the corresponding movie was out. And once the promo that happens weeks and days before the premiere is over , what is the left to remind the large audience that a movie is out ? The song on the radio.

Sam Smith is not popular in France for some reasons (while Adele is, she was #1 in charts before Skyfall), so it will be hard for Spectre to benefit from the song effect. Also, whatever I think of the song, I think the way he sings is hard to understand for a French ear. WOTW is currently #34 in the French charts.

Graham Norton was a guest on 'This Morning' today, and he said that Sam Smith will be performing the song live with a 25 piece orchestra on 'The Graham Norton Show' next Friday night.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    One thing's been made certain:

2vuydeg.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So not liking this song is homophobic? The arguments get better and better.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

2vuydeg.png

Who is that old man in the picture? :-?
    I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

Im just saying that a great song, has good marketing value

Sam Smith is not popular in France for some reasons (while Adele is, she was #1 in charts before Skyfall),

That's what EON should have realized ,
    I have not been to the west and I've spent my life between two different continents with completely different cultures and in both the places Adele was extremely popular, and her song drove people to the movie,
    I think Adele's global appeal had some hand in the success of Skyfall
    Sam Smith on the other hand might be extremely popular in Britain, he's unheard off elsewhere.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So not liking this song is homophobic? The arguments get better and better.

The strawman is so big I thought I was watching Wicker Man for a second there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Can this be sung to the tune of Tomorrow Never Dies?

2vuydeg.png

Who is that old man in the picture? :-?

In the background? Idris Elba.
    Great song until he started singing. In the post Barry era, CR is the only theme song that gets it right.

WOTW, instead of an upbeat hard charging song, we get another drippy slow song.
    Once again, for this Bond, fan the producers seem more concerned with getting a big name rather than a good song.
    Skyfail wrote: »

...Sam Smith on the other hand might be extremely popular in Britain, he's unheard off elsewhere.

Well that's a bit harsh..

That's the sales figures for Smith's album:
    WW: 8,500,000

UK: 1,750,000
    US: 2,000,000

I say that's not exactly unheard off anywhere but I see your point nonetheless, Sam Smith is particularly known by younger generations (under 30 I'd say).
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    "-So you didn't like The Writings On The Wall?

-Along with the rest of it."

bond-in-brioni-the-goldeneye-charcoal-windowp-L-y50R9h.jpeg
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 498
    Unheard off might be a strong word , yes
    but I've seen people over here who've first heard off smith when the rumor started.
    with Adele its a different story.

Its the same with wherever I've been
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    They were discussing the new theme and other Bond themes on channel 5 news here on the UK and tge news presenter, just before signing off said TLD was a great song for a crappy film. Heresy!!
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    i enjoyed this cover of WOTW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UyhdcyLjS8E"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited September 2015 Posts: 45,489
    but I've seen people over here who've first heard off smith when the rumor started.

For me, too. Never heard of SS before. Sam Smith, that is, not Schuts-Staffel.
  • Is there another link that I'm not aware of ? It's really annoying the way they chose to release this. It should've been on 007.com as Spotify is not available in all countries.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Spot iffy doesn't work where I am. Can I hear it anywhere else?

@Getafix and @JamesSpectre You can listen to it here: http://jbbr.co/SPECTRE-Theme-Song ;)

Thank you. Hope I'll like it better this time.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Uh. No. Not close.
    The Jackson song is even worse.
    They sound nothing alike. What a lazy and inaccurate comparison.

For me, too. Never heard of SS before. Sam Smith, that is, not Schuts-Staffel.

I believe you are a bit over 30 :P
    SS (horrible initials!) is widely known with the youngsters.
    One thing is definitely for sure, if they were considering bringing the gunbarrel back to the start of the movie, they most definitely will now, which I think is more than enough to distract and appease the Bond fans who dislike WoTw.
  • The more I listen it, the more I Like it. My wife love it, even more than me.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    I guess you could get used to being horsewhipped as after the 50th time you'll be more numb to all the pain
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    edited September 2015 Posts: 114
    i can't stop listening to it
    only if the ending was more powerful

https://dropbox.com/s/zm2js5p6qxqq40r/SS%20WOTW%20stadium.mp3?dl=0 :)>-
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'd lowered my expectations but I wasn't quite prepared for how utterly dreary and boring this is. His falsetto is completely wrong for it, it's not like he's even good at that, like the late great Jeff Buckley or Bono they know how to do a proper falsetto not this vanilla peddler

Seriously I can't believe they signed off on this, I though Skyfall was pretty unexciting when I first heard it but it worked on the credits a treat but I'll be just trying to block the sound out and enjoy what it likely to be another great credit sequence from Mr Kleinman.

This is got to be one of the worst themes ever, absolutely bloody awful! I certainly won't be buying the 7" of this.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

If I had to pick anything to whine about it would be the rushed ending.
  • My only problem is with the falsetto in the refrain, it's too high and it's also out of place if the song's about a man's feelings, especially if that man is Bond. He should have sung that part on the same or little higher note with the music still going in the background and not disappearing. Maybe they'll ask him to record a 2nd take for the sake of the movie.