Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 4,599
    Fair points but its not random that the track is released before the movie. Its a marketing/PR tool. The song has to stand on its own merits, not just within the movie. It is literally a "single", a song judged on its own merits, to be heard within the movie at a later date. You can't blame people for making judgements now rather than waiting. We are meant to be judging it now, that's the point of releasing it today. By asking us to wait is a request to give it a second chance. A belting winner of a song would not need a second chance.
  • When I first heard it, I swore out loud as soon as he started singing. He sings with that 'wounded' feel that's so rife in pop music today. If you listen, the first note isn't sung straight away, he gives an anguished 'groan' before he starts. I hear this 'style' a lot and it's false, effected and naff as naff can be. I hate it that this style is all over a Bond theme. And I love my Bond music, I've got all the expanded soundtracks, the book about the music and even tickets to see the CBSO do a Bond night in November.
    Anyway, I've banged on about it enough. Time to tidy the garage.
  • I agree patb it should stand on its own merits. Having said that I thought Madonna's song somehow worked with Daniel Kleinman's titles even though I absolutely couldn't stand it when I first heard it - i literally thought I had gone on a wrong link when I heard that for the first time online back in 2002.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Ooops.....I think the reviews are as good as "Another Way To Die". Though I find that a bit harsh. It's still an OK-song. But you know what they say about 'just-OK-songs' ....

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/sep/25/sam-smith-james-bond-theme-writing-on-the-wall?CMP=fb_gu
    But Writing’s on the Wall doesn’t feel anywhere near as striking as Skyfall. That may be because it’s essentially offering more of the same, while Skyfall felt like a break with the recent past, or it may be because it just isn’t as good a song. There’s something quite bold about a male singer using a Bond theme to convey vulnerability – you need a high falsetto threshold to get through the whole thing – but the melody doesn’t dig into your brain: you keep expecting it to arrive at a showstopping chorus that never comes.

I agree with The Guardian about the melody completely. It doesn't grab you. It's not humm-able, it's not memorable. Key to a good song in the first place is a haunting melody...
  • For me I hope this is going to be the opposite of what happened last time. When Adele's Skyfall dropped, I loved the song but then the movie was a let down. For me this song is a definite let down, but I'm hoping that the movie will be so spectacular that I forget all about it...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,548
    The first 1:28 is pretty good. It's at that point that the first falsetto comes in and seems to shatter the mood.

Also, I think an edited version will be used for the titles. SF had a entire verse taken out, if you remember. I think the titles in SP will end at the the 3:25 mark. That's a natural point to fade in to the movie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think one thing is for sure after this general (and warranted imho) negative reaction and the downer lyrics (which could actually be talking about Vesper...which was what, just 3 films ago?)

We are done with the angst driven nonsense post SP.

I'm willing to bet on it. This circus has run its course. It was fresh in 2006 but it's time for new beginnings. The writing's on the wall.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,969
    Hi guys, I'm finally hearing the song for the first time and I have to say I am very impressed! It's a great song, a lot better than I was expecting from Smith. I love that it actually develeops the Bond sound, whereas I think Skyfall played in a comfort zone. I especially love the bits when he goes super high pitched, so much emotion in his voice.

I have been reading comments all morning and the general feeling seems, underwhelmed to say the least. I don't know why this is, all I can say is two thumbs up from me!! \:D/

(That being said I love AWTD, which most fans hate so perhaps my taste in music should be called in for questioning.)
  • Yeah I quite like AWTD too, lyrically it's banal but musically i thought it wasn't bad, not the best, but not bad.
  • patb wrote: »
    Fair points but its not random that the track is released before the movie. Its a marketing/PR tool. The song has to stand on its own merits, not just within the movie. It is literally a "single", a song judged on its own merits, to be heard within the movie at a later date. You can't blame people for making judgements now rather than waiting. We are meant to be judging it now, that's the point of releasing it today. By asking us to wait is a request to give it a second chance. A belting winner of a song would not need a second chance.

True. And I do feel it will stand on its own. Just might take a few more listens by people as it is vocally quite different from a typical pop song. That's what I appreciate about it. There are times of songs that I hated when I first heard them, then grew to really like them, but not by forcing myself, just naturally growing to dig the tune.

That's how I honestly feel this song will fair. But as we all know it's purely subjective and Smiths announcement as the title singer was met with just as much negativity, so all in all, I am not surprised by the reactions. I knew it would be polarizing. Not always a bad thing. Shows a bit of courage, imo.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,599
    We have to remember that its mainstream reaction that's important, 100% of us could like or dislike it, but that has zero effect on chart sales, awards, etc etc and that is how it will be judged in the long run (not how it was received within fan forums), its all about jo public, their main voice is through sales/downloads and tweets. It will be interesting to see how it does in the charts
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think one thing is for sure after this general (and warranted imho) negative reaction and the downer lyrics (which could actually be talking about Vesper...which was what, just 3 films ago?)

I'm willing to bet on it. This circus has run its course. It was fresh in 2006 but it's time for new beginnings. The writing's on the wall.

The problem is that it is so much a part of Craig's Bond. If you are calling to completely change the tone of the films, I fear that's a silent vote to shove Daniel out the door. With that EON can recast and the new tone will be established from the ground up. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 95
    Ooops.....I think the reviews are as good as "Another Way To Die". Though I find that a bit harsh. It's still an OK-song. But you know what they s
    ay about 'just-OK-songs' ....

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/sep/25/sam-smith-james-bond-theme-writing-on-the-wall?CMP=fb_gu
    But Writing’s on the Wall doesn’t feel anywhere near as striking as Skyfall. That may be because it’s essentially offering more of the same, while Skyfall felt like a break with the recent past, or it may be because it just isn’t as good a song. There’s something quite bold about a male singer using a Bond theme to convey vulnerability – you need a high falsetto threshold to get through the whole thing – but the melody doesn’t dig into your brain: you keep expecting it to arrive at a showstopping chorus that never comes.

I agree with The Guardian about the melody completely. It doesn't grab you. It's not humm-able, it's not memorable. Key to a good song in the first place is a haunting melody...

I feel the basic melody (first 15 seconds) will allow Newman the ability to infuse SP with a great use of the theme throughout, as it seems perfectly suited for a Bond film. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.
  • patb wrote: »
    We have to remember that its mainstream reaction that's important, 100% of us could like or dislike it, but that has zero effect on chart sales, awards, etc etc and that is how it will be judged in the long run (not how it was received within fan forums), its all about jo public, their main voice is through sales/downloads and tweets. It will be interesting to see how it does in the charts

To be fair I'm not sure i'm bothered about how well it does in the charts or with awards, just whether I like it or not :)

The best part on the loop ;)

I'm probably repeating myself - I think within the context of 1. the film and 2. whatever Kleinman comes up with in the title sequence, the song will work better.

Listened to it a few more times, it's definitely growing on me, especially the vocals. The orchestral backing is phenomenal IMO, I'll say this. A much slower and more haunting take on the classic Bond/Barry sound.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

The problem is that it is so much a part of Craig's Bond. If you are calling to completely change the tone of the films, I fear that's a silent vote to shove Daniel out the door. With that EON can recast and the new tone will be established from the ground up. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I just think they've played this angst driven, girl losing, forlorn, cynical Bond to death. I love DC, but it's getting a little 'played out'. Hopefully SP the film is much more upbeat than this depressive song. He's meant to be her Majesty's best spy, not some love sick puppy. One go at it per actor is enough......DC seems to be getting two within the space of 3 films.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    I decided to give it another listen. It really hasn't got any better for me. The falsetto bits are border-line hilarious (and not in a good way). And what is it with the enunciation?!? Consonants just feebly fade awayyyyy. The last note is a real clunker too.

This sort of thing might be OK for X-Factor but this is BOND...shame on you EON for going with an artist based solely on sales rather than someone who can actually carry the emotional content of the movie you worked so hard to achieve.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I just think they've played this angst driven, girl losing, forlorn, cynical Bond to death. I love DC, but it's getting a little 'played out'. Hopefully SP the film is much more upbeat than this depressive song. He's meant to be her Majesty's best spy, not some love sick puppy. One go at it per actor is enough......DC seems to be getting two within the space of 3 films.

Personally, I like what they've done with the DC Bonds, but take your point that they may have over done it. And to be fair when I saw M:I Rogue Nation I was actually wanting to see a more light-hearted Bond even though i prefer Bond when it's 'gritty' and like this.
  • Some nit-pick points that really piss me off more than they should:
    - the way he says "my" when he asks "could you break my fall"
    - the way he pronounces "glass" and "past"
    - suffocating just does not fit or work where it is placed
    Please stop posting stuff I agree with :-) The nods to OHMSS were, for me at least, a sign that after dealing with the loss of M (and Vespa) , Bond would get his mojo back and deal with a traditional and iconic villain with a return to the traditional Bond story pattern but done with Mendes influence. With that in mind, I (and I think jo public) want a song with mojo. Something big, confident, bold, something with swagger - none of these qualities are within SS's song.
  • bondjames wrote: »

If it helps, everything I know about SP is meant to return Bond a bit more back to the classical, less angst ridden Bond we've seen for the last 3 films. This song is actually, lyrically speaking, far more upbeatand less dark than Skyfall - which I still love by the way. As Craig himself said, SP is a celebration of everything Bond.

Let's remain optimistic. Everyone involved really seems to have put everything they have, and then some, into this film. I for one cannot wait. And I am not trying to be naive and see everything thru rose colored glasses. Just genuinely pumped. If I don't like it, no huge deal, there are still 23 other Bonds I can watch. That's Bond's biggest strength. Something for everyone. Maybe just not all from one film.
    Heard it on YouTube hum no just no this makes all time high and die another day look brilliant. Easily one of not the worst bond theme ever. But let's rank the Craig era bond themes

1. You Know My Name
    2. Another Way to Die
    3. SkyFall

(Time infinity)

4. The writings on the wall

To those who like it enjoy and I hope it was everything you were hoping for. As for me and my wife we heard it and laughed because we thought it was a joke then we cried when we realized it wasn't.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is a lot I would like to say about the new Bond song.

But for starters only this:

Please don't forget that this is the full version of the song.
    Tina Turner's Goldeneye is over 4:48 minutes long in the full version and there's the 3:30 version with the exciting finale and high point at the end!!

I'm sure, Writing's On The Wall will be edited as well to fit the title sequence and it could very well totally change the pacing of the song as it is the case with Goldeneye!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Just listened to it for the first time. I quite liked it and can see it growing on me. The melody in particular was really good.

It looks like its going to suit the film quite well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Heard it on YouTube hum no just no this makes all time high and die another day look brilliant. Easily one of not the worst bond theme ever. But let's rank the Craig era bond themes

1. You Know My Name
    2. Another Way to Die
    3. SkyFall

(Time infinity)

4. The writings on the wall

To those who like it enjoy and I hope it was everything you were hoping for. As for me and my wife we heard it and laughed because we thought it was a joke then we cried when we realized it wasn't.
    Real mature.
  • This is such a joyless and dreary song. The worse thing is the lyrics. Bond is emotionally tortured and trapped and in need of love? How do I live, how do I breath, I'm suffocating - or is that just Sam Smith or a Bond girl pining for James Bond? Hard to be sure. Either way...arrrggghh!!! This is NOT Bond. This is a dreary love song that probably wasn't even written for a Bond movie, but the big orchestration and production screams BOND! Awful, pretentious and unlistenable. I know long for the days of Duran Duran and Aha. Crap bands but at least the lyrics were about adventure and Bond kicking butt, not being emotionally vulnerable and looking for love. Yuck.
    I can not wait to hear this song.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Brimar wrote: »

But if you don't like Smith then the song was highly unlikely to please you. I feel he gave it his all.

'cause the writing's on the wall?
  • eddychaput wrote: »
    Brimar wrote: »

But if you don't like Smith then the song was highly unlikely to please you. I feel he gave it his all.

'cause the writing's on the wall?

Exactly!