Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

antovolk wrote: »
    Here's a pic of the ad from Reddit
    12027532_770443909733785_994085880129237606_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=a19aab7ee1cc757568ed1059241f1258&oe=569F5E23

If by "out now" they mean" in "five days, so preorder"
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    12027532_770443909733785_994085880129237606_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=a19aab7ee1cc757568ed1059241f1258&oe=569F5E23

Was thinking the same thing lol

• Sorry, but this songs are so depressing. There's' no doubting that. So hope that doesn't follow into this bond song, which seems it will. Lets hope not
  • Garth007 wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

Was thinking the same thing lol

Obviously, as its not released till Friday,
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Ohhhhh, that is fantastic fun! I love it. :) Yeah, I do. A fun take-off on so much that is classic Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haha, that was great!- probably better than the one for SF. Lots of colour, and so awesome to hear that theme play while Craig does his thing. Thanks for posting, @JW.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    At first I thought the water skier was Olga Kurylenko.
    pachazo wrote: »
    At first I thought the water skier was Olga Kurylenko.
    Same here!- just the first glimpse though. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking that she'd show up in the series again, in some way.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, that would have been truly awesome.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119

Dammit, only a few days left, and then I will hopefully give "SkyFall" by Adèle less airplay then I give it now :-P. I am so SO curious how the song will turn out.

Just a short resumé about my initial feelings/reactions about the Craig-era of Bond title songs:

--> "You Know My Name": I was slightly disappointed. Though a good rock song, I missed a certain "richer orchestrated backing tape". Luckily, a few months later after the release of the BluRay I ripped the film version of the song, which I like much more.
    3.5 stars out of 5 stars

--> "Another Way To Die": I first heard some examples of the song during the Coca-Cola Zero commercial. Then I heard it in full....and I was.......gutted! How the hell could they contract a junkie like Jack White! In all honesty? I even liked Madonna's "Die Another Day" slightly more...
    1 star out of 5 stars

--> "SkyFall": The first time I heard it I was in....HEAVEN :-O!! Really! I was praying for a mysterious slow-tempo Bond-ballad in the vein of "You Only Live Twice", "Moonraker" and "Diamonds Are Forever". And especially a memorable melody. And we got it! I instantly thought, that this song could actually go for an Oscar nomination. And for heaven's sake, it WON an Oscar!
    4.5 stars out of 5 stars

--> "Writing's On The Wall": We all know it will be more of a love song. Combined with Sam Smith's soulful, crisp and clear vocals (The Tom Jones of our time?), I'm expecting a similar memorable melody as compared to "SkyFall". I do expect it to be slightly more up-tempo. Perhaps "Nobody Does It Better" with a bit more electro added to it? We'll find out in a few days :-D!
  • RC7RC7
    --> "Another Way To Die": I first heard some examples of the song during the Coca-Cola Zero commercial. Then I heard it in full....and I was.......gutted! How the hell could they contract a junkie like Jack White!
    1 star out of 5 stars

Harsh. Personally it's Keys who I'd drop from the track. Jack White is awesome. He's also a big Bond fan (IRRC he once said that he used to listen to OHMSS before gigs to get him pumped up) and I think that shows. It's exactly what I'd expect from a JW Bond theme. I know a lot of non-Bond fans who rate this track highly.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    --> "Another Way To Die": I first heard some examples of the song during the Coca-Cola Zero commercial. Then I heard it in full....and I was.......gutted! How the hell could they contract a junkie like Jack White!
    1 star out of 5 stars

Harsh. Personally it's Keys who I'd drop from the track. Jack White is awesome. He's also a big Bond fan (IRRC he once said that he used to listen to OHMSS before gigs to get him pumped up) and I think that shows. It's exactly what I'd expect from a JW Bond theme. I know a lot of non-Bond fans who rate this track highly.

I also read that Jack White himself listened to the OHMSS score, but sadly I don't hear any of that inspiration back in the final song. As of today I still think it's an utterly forgettable piece of crap. Sorry.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    1 star out of 5 stars

I also read that Jack White himself listened to the OHMSS score, but sadly I don't hear any of that inspiration back in the final song. As of today I still think it's an utterly forgettable piece of crap. Sorry.

Do you not even like the instrumental?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Always loved Jack White's stuff. One of the most creative song writers of the 21st Century. If you listen to his White Stripes albums you will hear some amazing melodies which do make you understand why he was considered.
    But then Madonna is also capable of writing great songs, and look what she came up with for Bond.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    1 star out of 5 stars

Do you not even like the instrumental?

No.

I must say though, that John Barry also started composing with a very simply 'leitmotif'. But John Barry completely arranged around that simple melody, with plentiful instruments, strings, horns, xylophones, and God knows what more interesting melodies to make the 'starting melody' so much richer and memorable.

Jack White however.......gets stuck with that simple leitmotif...and basically nothing happens. It's stays boring, plain and colorless. Jack White should have taken some advice from some previous 'Bond Rockers', like Paul McCartney, Duran Duran and especially Chris Cornell.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    I like the classic orchestral feeling, the song could be a brassy banger! Can't wait to hear the full theme.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 512

That snippet sounds REALLY awesome! Very mysterious and classy. Thanks @antovolk !
  • RC7RC7
    That sounds AWESOME!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    This is going to be a total FRWL type song. :x
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That sounds AWESOME!

It does! Let's hope the quality of sounds endures the length of the entire track and that the vocals match or augment the actual music. For now, so far so amazing.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I also think that removing Alicia Keys from AWTD would improve the song a lot.
    These positive comments sure make it difficult to avoid listening! This time around it's my mission objective to hear it first through cinema surround! Must... fight... temptation! My hand is constantly on the radio's volume dial! I haven't heard much from Sam other than what he's done with Disclosure (really like their stuff), but I have faith in him and Eon. Glad you guys like what you've heard from the snippet. I kind of envisioned a Munro/FRWL style-theme- makes sense judging by the film's classic vibe, hope it's true.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119

Why the HELL have all my wettest Bond dreams heard in the past two years! Only 15 sec's, but that orchestra....!! Orgasmic!
  • Sounds beautiful and sounds like it could perfectly fit into a scene in the film.
  • Walecs wrote: »
    I also think that removing Alicia Keys from AWTD would improve the song a lot.

What about removing both Jack White and Alicia Keys? :-P.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I said earlier that I would most definitely wait until the film releases to hear the song in the theatre for the first time.

.................I've realized I lied......I'm weak....that snippet is so good, I'll have to hear it in its entirety on release and hopefully will be able to maintain my composure at work. Big boys don't cry......
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    So excited but I can't seem to get my phone to work to hear it..

:((