SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Nice idea. He's also referenced in GE.

I got to know Tom Pevsner reasonably well. He was a great supporter of mine when I was first pushing to write and direct. A true gentlemen with a warm wit and sparkle in his eyes. He was highly regarded by Eon. Nice they are showing their respect for him.

That's great to hear Colonel. He always seemed like a genuinely decent bloke from what I saw of him in interviews.
  • Big news for Dutch Bond fans!!!! Premiere date of "SPECTRE" moved forward from November 5th to October 29th!!! Wow, what a big present from our overseas neighbour's United Kingdom :-D! Thank you thank you EON/MOM/SONY/universal Benelux!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Glad to hear Newman has started recording the score. Would love to be sitting in the studio listening to it.

Given he has been working on it since January the actual recording stage shouldn't be too long. Mendes will have OK'd the temp score a while ago, so unless anything is rejected late in the day, there shouldn't be any major problems.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 252
    doubleoego wrote: »

I would have thought he'd started earlier.

Music is already written, so that's no problem
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.

Big news for Dutch Bond fans!!!! Premiere date of "SPECTRE" moved forward from November 5th to October 29th!!! Wow, what a big present from our overseas neighbour's United Kingdom :-D! Thank you thank you EON/MOM/SONY/universal Benelux!

Awesome news!!
    Big news for Dutch Bond fans!!!! Premiere date of "SPECTRE" moved forward from November 5th to October 29th!!!
    Same here in Scandinavia. I will be seeing it on the 27th, though.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    @Zekidk You going to a pre-screening? Where in Scandinavia might that be? Just wondering if there's any seats left?
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    Big news for Dutch Bond fans!!!! Premiere date of "SPECTRE" moved forward from November 5th to October 29th!!!
    Same here in Scandinavia. I will be seeing it on the 27th, though.

Official premiere dates in Scandinavia are October 30th. Official premiere date in The Netherlands is now October 29th. Off course this excludes so called pre-screenings for media and press. They are always earlier than the official premiere dates.
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    @Zekidk You going to a pre-screening? Where in Scandinavia might that be? Just wondering if there's any seats left?
    Copenhagen. Sponsor/press-event. No, no tickets available. Finally I can wear my white tux!
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2015 Posts: 432
    Zekidk wrote: »
    No, no tickets available.

Oh, well. I'll wait one more day then for the premiere. Hope you have a great time there

Thought I'd chime in on the cinematography. A lot of people on other non-Bond forums have actually lauded HvH's cinematography from the footage released so far, it is only places like here I see complaints about it being too desaturated/not colourful enough etc. I take it some of that may be due to the impression that "Bond is supposed to have a travelogue element" - which is something I disagree with.

If anything, Hoytema's work here is very similar to Jeff Cronenwerth's work on David Fincher's recent films - namely The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl. Haven't seen anyone rip into him for making films "cliché dark" or whatever.

And, this really ties in to what Mendes said about the story of the film in a recent Empire interview, they're reintroducing familiar elements, such as the beautiful locations, but changing the context, "you don't get them in the way you expect to get them" to quote Mendes. You'd expect something like the Day of the Dead to have bright very colourful cinematography, but they flip the script by having it more menacing, that's the point really, not to have a "travelogue". One shot that really left an impression on me was the first shot of the teaser with the bombed-out MI6 building - you've got such familiar elements displayed in such a different light. That may be unrealistic, but that's the point - making it more grand and almost fantastical in essence when you see it on a big screen as opposed to hyper-realistic.

TL;DR the cinematography being not what you'd expect when thinking about the "colourful locations" plays into one of the main approaches to the film itself.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    antovolk wrote: »
    And, this really ties in to what Mendes said about the story of the film in a recent Empire interview, they're reintroducing familiar elements, such as the beautiful locations, but changing the context, "you don't get them in the way you expect to get them" to quote Mendes. You'd expect something like the Day of the Dead to have bright very colourful cinematography, but they flip the script by having it more menacing, that's the point really, not to have a "travelogue".

Which is where I find Mendes a confusing character in his approach. He says things like this as if they are clever, when in reality they aren't really. People expect white, we'll give them black. People expect salt, we'll give them pepper. Trying to subvert elements and force a post-modernist twist on everything isn't that creative and at times you risk 'biting off your nose to spite your face'. By washing out the DotD scenes you're not adding a sense of menace, you're simply desaturating what is a stunning festival scene. What would be more clever in my eyes is shooting a scene that combines a sense of menace with the vibrancy of this event.

Note; this is all based on what I've seen in the trailer, so I will naturally reserve final judgement for when I see the movie, just in case people feel like jumping down my throat, it's a mere observation. It may work excellently, but from a distance it disappoints me that it doesn't capture the full spectrum of colour.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Thought I'd chime in on the cinematography. A lot of people on other non-Bond forums have actually lauded HvH's cinematography from the footage released so far, it is only places like here I see complaints about it being too desaturated/not colourful enough etc. I take it some of that may be due to the impression that "Bond is supposed to have a travelogue element" - which is something I disagree with.

If anything, Hoytema's work here is very similar to Jeff Cronenwerth's work on David Fincher's recent films - namely The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl. Haven't seen anyone rip into him for making films "cliché dark" or whatever.

And, this really ties in to what Mendes said about the story of the film in a recent Empire interview, they're reintroducing familiar elements, such as the beautiful locations, but changing the context, "you don't get them in the way you expect to get them" to quote Mendes. You'd expect something like the Day of the Dead to have bright very colourful cinematography, but they flip the script by having it more menacing, that's the point really, not to have a "travelogue". One shot that really left an impression on me was the first shot of the teaser with the bombed-out MI6 building - you've got such familiar elements displayed in such a different light. That may be unrealistic, but that's the point - making it more grand and almost fantastical in essence when you see it on a big screen as opposed to hyper-realistic.

TL;DR the cinematography being not what you'd expect when thinking about the "colourful locations" plays into one of the main approaches to the film itself.

Lovely to read this @Antovolk. I think I like this approach. Will it make the cinematography look 'fake'? In my opinion not. It could really add to the mysterious and sinister feel of this film.... Gosh, I'm looking forward to this film now.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Lovely to read this @Antovolk. I think I like this approach. Will it make the cinematography look 'fake'? In my opinion not. It could really add to the mysterious and sinister feel of this film.... Gosh, I'm looking forward to this film now.

I agree too... but will wait and see.

Yeah, I think this more stylised approach to the cinematography (even more stylised than Skyfall) is really going to be appreciated on the big screen. The teaser in IMAX was beautiful, I thought.

@RC7 yeah IMO I think it's interesting - a lot of the general internet audience comments on the full trailer say that it looks like "just another Bond movie". Obviously Mendes doesn't want to shake the formula/structure itself up again, with this film he wants to return to classic Bond in that sense, but have that subversive approach to make it feel fresh to those people who say SPECTRE looks like "just another Bond movie". Whether the subversions will be overkill in the final film we'll have to wait and see....but IMO I like this way of making a "classic Bond for the 21st century". Almost it seems as though SPECTRE would've been a better fit for a 50th anniversary film....?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,314
    I don't mind the yellow saturation on day of the dead so much. But The snow scenes look weird so far. Yellow snow? I'm all for giving each location s specific palette and grading but warm textures and don't work so well there imo. The grading is yellow everywhere. The spectre meeting and the train because it's artificial light. The Rome chase because it's orange street lamps. It's just a trend filmmakers are going through.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    I don't mind the yellow saturation on day of the dead so much. But The snow scenes look weird so far. Yellow snow? I'm all for giving each location s specific palette and grading but warm textures and don't work so well there imo. The grading is yellow everywhere. The spectre meeting and the train because it's artificial light. The Rome chase because it's orange street lamps. It's just a trend filmmakers are going through.

There is no yellow snow as far as I can see :-S . Unless you pee on it....
  • Hue-Density.png

"Realllyyy 007" :-S
  • RC7RC7
    We're breaking new ground with SP @Suivez_ce_parachute
  • http://filmratings.com/search.html?filmTitle=spectre&x=52&y=8

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of action and violence, some disturbing images, sensuality and language.

from the MPAA ratings board.

no where stating that this is a rating for a trailer.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Sounds like the film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Intense violence....

• mcdonbb wrote: »
    Sounds like the film.

Thats what I thought. Do the MPAA rate films that are not completed. Or does this mean that the film is finished and ready to screen?

Right. An, auf, hinter, in, neben, uber, unter, vor, zwischen-dem
    Durch, fur, gegen, ohne, um, wieder-der.

How hard can these prepositions be?

Uhm, no, not quite.

an, auf, hinter, neben, in, ueber, unter, vor, zwischen
    --> go with both Dative (where) and Accusative (where to) case.
    --> here, it's where, so Dative case: male - dem, female - der, neuter - dem --> since Hotel is neuter, it should be "in dem Hotel", or better "im" (short for "in dem", and more common);

durch, fuer, gegen, ohne, um, wider
    --> go with Akkusative case exclusively: male - den, female - die, neuter - das

Seems they can be very hard! ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks. I learned German in the 79s. Or 80s rather. I am Norwegian.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Sounds like the film.

Thats what I thought. Do the MPAA rate films that are not completed. Or does this mean that the film is finished and ready to screen?

It's not finished in the sense that the score has all been recorded. (That's going on now.) In that sense, it's not ready to screen. But apparently finished to show the MPAA and get the rating. They could have used existing music in place of the new score if they felt that necessary for the MPAA.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    Bounine wrote: »

@Gustav_Graves Thanks for posting this.

The other post went haywire on me. As a Western expat in Shanghai who will most likely have to wait until January to see this film, this Hong Kong event seems like a good excuse to pop down there for a few days, attend the event and see the movie. I could maybe get off work for just a few days.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    RC7 wrote: »
    And, this really ties in to what Mendes said about the story of the film in a recent Empire interview, they're reintroducing familiar elements, such as the beautiful locations, but changing the context, "you don't get them in the way you expect to get them" to quote Mendes. You'd expect something like the Day of the Dead to have bright very colourful cinematography, but they flip the script by having it more menacing, that's the point really, not to have a "travelogue".

Which is where I find Mendes a confusing character in his approach. He says things like this as if they are clever, when in reality they aren't really. People expect white, we'll give them black. People expect salt, we'll give them pepper. Trying to subvert elements and force a post-modernist twist on everything isn't that creative and at times you risk 'biting off your nose to spite your face'. By washing out the DotD scenes you're not adding a sense of menace, you're simply desaturating what is a stunning festival scene. What would be more clever in my eyes is shooting a scene that combines a sense of menace with the vibrancy of this event.

Note; this is all based on what I've seen in the trailer, so I will naturally reserve final judgement for when I see the movie, just in case people feel like jumping down my throat, it's a mere observation. It may work excellently, but from a distance it disappoints me that it doesn't capture the full spectrum of colour.

I'm not sure how I feel about the colouring in the Day of the Dead scenes. This is something I thought of as soon as I saw the trailer. I can understand how the washed out look does give somewhat of a menacing effect but at the same time I feel that it's a shame that these scenes aren't more colourful. Rich colourful grading but with a well composed score can create menace. What I may have done would have been to have a washed out Mexico city as they have in the trailer but to grade just the the costumes and floats themselves, making them rich and bright in colour. One would have to be careful though as it would look unnatural if you took it too far.
    Mag%20cover.jpg
    The new issue of Empire is guest edited by Sam Mendes, the director of Spectre. This is, needless to say, very exciting news and brings some very obvious benefits. And we're not talking about his generous approval of our holiday requests. No, the new boss has delivered into readers' laps the most spectacular array of scoops, new looks and access to his 24th instalment of the mighty 007 franchise. It also has a cover - revealed exclusively below - that sets the movie's two adversaries check-by-jowl in a face-off for the ages.

As revealed earlier in the week, the issue also offers some incredible access to Mendes's book of contacts. There are interviews with Spielberg, Joss Whedon and David Fincher - conducted by the editor himself, no less - as well as an in-depth look back at some of the other highlights on the editor's CV, including American Beauty, and a look at the unheralded but spectacular work of practical effects whizz Chris Corbould.

Available next Thursday (September 24)