Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    RC7 wrote: »
    Here is something interesting. Remember those leaked Sony emails about Dan and Mendes not keen on using a Sony mobile as they are "not the best" and Bond would only use "thee best". Apple have a major announcement tomorrow. Could there be a Sam Smith/Bond and Apple collab on the cards here? is it plausible Apple are about to announce another slimmer Iphone 6 or a new Iphone 7 and that Bond could be seen with one in Spectre. mmmm! I doubt it but the timing the coincidental timing is food for thought.

Wrong thread.

I beg to differ if its Apple then its ITunes, and if there is something to it we may get a snipped at the launch. Therefore it is relevant to the topic.

What I mean is, there is a leaks thread. I have absolutely no idea about emails re. phones. I know it's not spoilerific, but still...

Script fair enough but if by sharing Dan and Mendes were not happy about using a Sony mobile ruins Spectre for anyone..then you need professional help with answers you won't find in any Bond movie. I would get your point if it was script related but the story about Sony offering Dan £3M just to hold a Sony phone later trying to cut him out the deal asking for Q to hold it for peanuts was all over the tabloid front pages.
  • RC7RC7
    Here is something interesting. Remember those leaked Sony emails about Dan and Mendes not keen on using a Sony mobile as they are "not the best" and Bond would only use "thee best". Apple have a major announcement tomorrow. Could there be a Sam Smith/Bond and Apple collab on the cards here? is it plausible Apple are about to announce another slimmer Iphone 6 or a new Iphone 7 and that Bond could be seen with one in Spectre. mmmm! I doubt it but the timing the coincidental timing is food for thought.

Wrong thread.

I beg to differ if its Apple then its ITunes, and if there is something to it we may get a snipped at the launch. Therefore it is relevant to the topic.

What I mean is, there is a leaks thread. I have absolutely no idea about emails re. phones. I know it's not spoilerific, but still...

Script fair enough but if by sharing Dan and Mendes were not happy about using a Sony mobile ruins Spectre for anyone..then you need professional help with answers you won't find in any Bond movie. I would get your point if it was script related but the story about Sony offering Dan £3M just to hold a Sony phone later trying to cut him out the deal asking for Q to hold it for peanuts was all over the tabloid front pages.

Just saying innit. Leaks is leaks.
    I will come quietly officer lol
    2aiplvr.jpg
    imagehosting
  • RC7RC7
    2aiplvr.jpg
    imagehosting

Your licence to kill is revoked, and I require you to hand over your weapon. Now. I need hardly remind you that you're still bound by the Official Secrets Act.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    2aiplvr.jpg
    imagehosting

Your licence to kill is revoked, and I require you to hand over your weapon. Now. I need hardly remind you that you're still bound by the Official Secrets Act.

"Do I look like I give a damn?!!"

:-P
    2aiplvr.jpg
    imagehosting

Nicely played.
    " She was gorgeous and so I necked her
    until I found out she worked for Spectre!"

I fear my days as a lyricist are over already. I'll get my coat!
    LeChiffre wrote: »

No, I like it! Very ... modern. Maybe I can contribute.
    How about this: the second stanza, from Blofeld's POV

"He was Achilles to my Hector,
    he wiped the floor with my dear Spectre."
    I thought the verses making up the word Spectre would have been cool like Ian Brown did on FEAR. Some People Expect Cruelty Torcher Rape & Execution. Maybe too gritty.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Wrong thread.

Indeed. Any connection between Apple and the release and/or marketing of the title song is worth considering on this thread.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'd bet a lot of money against an Apple + Smith/Bond connection.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    roko wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »

No, I like it! Very ... modern. Maybe I can contribute.
    How about this: the second stanza, from Blofeld's POV

"He was Achilles to my Hector,
    he wiped the floor with my dear Spectre."

Bond killed Dr. No and stole my Lektor,
    but he will never defeat my fabolous SPECTRE!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm beginning to think that Radiohead bet came from someone within EON. When Skyfall was announced it was a foregone conclusion Adele had the job no one else really got in the frame and it was no real surprise when she was announced.

It was all set to go the same way with Spectre as Smith's name was mentioned first at interviews after the first press conference. I think EON didn't want the same thing again they wanted some mystery and more speculation so that when it was announced it would be more of a surprise and not so obvious.

What's £15000 to a billion dollar film series? I'm not saying they orchestrated every rumour but Smith played along with the Ellie Goulding comment and it seemed the press genuinely got on board with RH rumour with some claiming Mendes even wanted them.

After that it only took forums and the rest of the internet to fan the flames and take people off the idea of Sam Smith when it was always him.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that Radiohead bet came from someone within EON. When Skyfall was announced it was a foregone conclusion Adele had the job no one else really got in the frame and it was no real surprise when she was announced.

It was all set to go the same way with Spectre as Smith's name was mentioned first at interviews after the first press conference. I think EON didn't want the same thing again they wanted some mystery and more speculation so that when it was announced it would be more of a surprise and not so obvious.

What's £15000 to a billion dollar film series? I'm not saying they orchestrated every rumour but Smith played along with the Ellie Goulding comment and it seemed the press genuinely got on board with RH rumour with some claiming Mendes even wanted them.

After that it only took forums and the rest of the internet to fan the flames and take people off the idea of Sam Smith when it was always him.

Very possible, although I'm not sure where that would put EON from an ethical perspective. I can imagine a bit of a furore if it got out they were actually using gambling as a means to spread disinformation, rather than planting the seeds through the regular avenues. I personally think it would be a savvy move, but I have a sneaking suspicion the lawyers might have balked at the idea.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020

Well I think that's a bit too conspiracy theory...but don't you think it is entirely possible that Radiohead after all are doing a song for Spectre? Maybe the end theme or just another one that will be on the soundtrack. It wouldn't surprise me and I actually would find that great because for an end theme or an additional song everything is fair game. I even would love Radiohead to do something not too commercial.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    I keep going back to Sam smith music and its horrible to me. I just cannot see how it will fit in well as a bond theme. At least I can happily wait, because I'm not excited now. Not got any high expectations. Even the title writings on the wall already exists as a name on other albums when I did a search. Its just not very original. Disappointing title for what will probably be a disappointing theme song.
  • RC7RC7
    Even the title writings on the wall already exists as a name on other albums when I did a search. Its just not very original. Disappointing title for what will probably be a disappointing theme song.

It's an idiom. Similar to 'Off the Wall', one of the greatest albums ever made.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Even the title writings on the wall already exists as a name on other albums when I did a search. Its just not very original. Disappointing title for what will probably be a disappointing theme song.

100% agreed. A work of genius.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

That's why I am against Bond theme titles that are not the movie title. But I'm obviously in a minority here with that opinion.

Another Way To Die was at least an original title that could have been the movie's title as well.
    Writing's On The Wall sounds so common.

Well I think that's a bit too conspiracy theory...but don't you think it is entirely possible that Radiohead after all are doing a song for Spectre? Maybe the end theme or just another one that will be on the soundtrack. It wouldn't surprise me and I actually would find that great because for an end theme or an additional song everything is fair game. I even would love Radiohead to do something not too commercial.

I'd like that to be right but I think it's more likely the case that that isn't going to happen. The whole RH thing threw people off the scent of Sam Smith and it was quite a savvy move.

The bet just sounds just too convenient on EON's part. Look I'm looking forward to hear what he comes up with and if I like I'll gladly come here and eat humble pie.

I'd rather we got a classic than a lame song just so I can say I was right. Who knows BJB006 you might be right about RH, I hope I'm wrong, they managed to keep that Four Tet track under wraps that was on the end credits of QOS so who knows maybe an RH tune might be included on the credits and like you I'd like that.

I'll probably buy the 7" of the theme as long as I don't utterly hate it, I've got AWTD and Skyfall.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512

That's why I am against Bond theme titles that are not the movie title. But I'm obviously in a minority here with that opinion.

Another Way To Die was at least an original title that could have been the movie's title as well.
    Writing's On The Wall sounds so common.

I don't see why that would mean you're against them. You mean you're against idioms wholesale?

Anyhow, I'm sure you're not in the minority. I like a theme with a correlating title as much as the next man, but if there's a valid artistic reason for changing, as their clearly was with YKMN, I don't think it matters.
    I'm not saying it was official but all it took for someone on the crew to do it anonymously and no one would be the wiser unless there is more to it than just misdirection and RH have contributed to the film in some way which I personally think is unlikely.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Alright, my work is done for now. I just wrote the German Wikipedia entry for the song, collecting every event that led to the reveal :D
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I'm beginning to think that Radiohead bet came from someone within EON.

The Radiohead rumour was debunked 2 or 3 days after the bet story by Chris Evans. Quite a few here did not want to believe him because actually working in the entertainment business seems to be irrelevant for them, but the truth is that it's actually key to have hearsay and to feel what is true and what is not. RC7 was I think here amongst the first to give reasons it could be Smith (too much denial is weird at this stage) before the actual announcement and he works in this business...

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,261
    I am so glad, it is not him:
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 152
    Hopefully Sam Smith's version of "The Writing's On The Wall" can surpass the original :P

I don't think the music video will top this one though!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Somehow wishing it's not Sam Smith but rather The Smiths (isn't that Maryam d'Abo in the music video???):

• edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Guys. I know the release date for writings on the wall is set for 25th, but I've just found some more evidence it could be 23'rd in uk. Amazon now have the pre order up, and it says 23'rd. ?????http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writings-Wall-Sam-Smith/dp/B0153SUYU4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441896595&sr=8-5&keywords=sam+smith
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    As long as Sam Smith doesn't sing it...

After the quote above from December's 2014, We can now see that somehow you guys here acted like a "negative prophet". It is Sam. But they've got Ellie Goulding as well.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the new Spectre artwork. Looks great.