Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    I agree with @Pistachio, literary Bond is dead. The only reasons Bond novels are still being written is because the films are so popular that people see 'JAMES BOND' on the cover and buy it. Most people don't even know they're still making them.

Exactly. There would never be a Bond book every year for decades if the films haven't kept the Bond book market viable for decades. That is why I'm critical of the Fleming estate and their authors when they keep trying to both trade off the movies for promotion, AND then trash the films which is what Horowitz did, and worse, given his comments on Elba, causing major negative blow back on SP. Some have noted that Horowitz has the right to his opinions, and true his comments on Elba may have been exaggerated, but he is not just some John out there voicing his opinion. He is officially representing the Fleming estate as Fleming's successor (which is how he is constantly referred to), and his comments have official weight ...unearned.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Horowitz also slammed Faulks, Deaver and Boyed. He doesn't seem to care too much who he offends.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    If Radiohead are producing it, it shouldn't sound like a typical Sam Smith song. Should be a bit different. ;)
    Some people just need to take a breather and just relax. Give the guy a chance. I have faith he will do a good song
    Damn, people still pushing the whole "EON won't announce like that" etc. angle.

Today, this is EXACTLY how you'd announce something like that. Get with the times people. Not only can you not get such a highly screen accurate ring off eBay (believe me, I'm still looking), this image's posting was coordinated to drop at a specific time (4pm BST) across multiple social media networks. Hardly a coincidence this is a day before the rumoured big announcement/song release on iTunes etc, it may not be going on radio straight away, just for sale first.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I have to admit I'm not familiar with his work, but I'm on the "give the guy a chance bandwagon". Bigger names have had rather disappointing MTS songs in the past.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agreed. I didn't know who Chris Cornell was before YKMN, and I really think his is one of the better yet less heralded Bond songs.
  • Please just be a cool, very bondy theme. I just hope its more up beat than skyfall's theme from Adele. I'm hoping for a more live and let die tone, are you ?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Please just be a cool, very bondy theme. I just hope its more up beat than skyfall's theme from Adele. I'm hoping for a more live and let die tone, are you ?

Yes. More upbeat is what I want, but not necessarily hard edged. I wonder if this song will be about Bond or if it will be about Spectre and/or Blofeld. If the latter, then a classic belter like Tom Jones' Thunderball is what I'm hoping for.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Yes, I agree, but myself cannot picture Sam Smith performing such a belter like tom jones, his voice is much softer. But I suppose I'll not judge till my own ears have listened to it. In the end of the day, the song doesn't make a bond film. I think of it as an extra present if it turns out well.

I also just want to apologies for any offensive dialogue earlier. It was a spare of the moment thing due to the anger over them choosing Sam Smith. But now I've had time to think about it, i'll wait and listen to it before I judge him.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just hope it's a frickin' great song. And it does not have to be a ballad, crooned type song. I personally hope not - I hope it rocks more. It hinges on the song for me. Both artists can at least sing in tune, right? ... so I will try to be open-minded and I eagerly await the song itself. Sam did not write it, so I am thinking this may have quite a different feel to it. Not necessarily a bad thing. But the key is the song itself, yes.
    I'm at work, so checking only periodically. But my question to you all is: Are we sure it is Sam and Ellie together? Or just Sam? I don't know where that stands ...
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Seems to me we are finally down to the wire till release. Hope they release the track on iTunes as soon as possible. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What do you all expect the song to sound like? I'm thinking of something up beat, not so much rock but nothing similar to Skyfall. :)
    Different to Skyfall, but I think it may be harder edged than a smooth pop song. And I hope so.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Still hoping for Dame Bassey over the end credits because why not?
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Hoping for that melding of Chris Cornell edginess with Adele soulful voice uniqueness in the new theme could be a great balance
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I can't really describe what I'm feeling. It's a bit like being lost in a forest.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I can't really describe what I'm feeling. It's a bit like being lost in a forest.

With twin circus performers chasing after you?

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'd rather listen to angry vomiting monkeys ...or AWTD even ..than Sam Smith. What a horrible thing to do to Daniel Kliennman :( ..
  • Just listened to a few Sam Smith songs. His voice is fine but good LORD his songs are boring.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ..mmm ok *grumble* ..
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't suck.

You have nailed almost everyone's feelings in those 5 words. Guess we'll know soon enough.

• TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited September 2015 Posts: 191
    Woof, These last moments have been a roller coaster of (negative) emotions. The fact of having ALL rumoured acts involved like that just seems overly contrived, it has to be a trolling but then again who knows...

By tomorrow morning when I wake up it will be known, and it will be either Christmas morning or the beginning of 28 Days Later.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I just want some big huge John Barry brass. Is that asking too much?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,596
    I find it difficult to get my hopes up as to how good the new Bond song will be (so they're announcing it today then?) because aside for Skyfall, I haven't been a fan of any of the Bond songs since Goldeneye. Sorry, that's not entirely true. I really liked TWINE when it came out but it doesn't lend itself to repeated listening throughout the years as many of the earlier Bond songs do. The song's I've heard by Smith are yawn inducing. The couple of Ellie Goulding's I've heard are nice enough. I'm not really a pop fan though. I like some of Radiohead's music. They've produced it have they?

Faith No More need to be asked to record a Bond song! They've made much rock music but they find influence from all genres. A truly inspirational band.

Well, I'm going to play the Bond songs now as I get ready for work. :)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I really hope the Ellie Goulding + Sam Smith (in that order) rumour is true.
    JUDGMENT DAY
    I'd say 7 am London time is the earliest it may fall? So another hour or so? Quite possibly much much later though
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't suck.
    Succinct. And I guess sums up my main feeling about this!