What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Not Tarrantino. Bring back Martin Campbell.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 9,767
    Now I like Spielberg but who knows how I will feel next week
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd like to see Cuaron have a crack.
    He's too expensive.
    And the likes of Spielberg and Nolan arent? Please.
    I would be more than happy to welcome back Campbell or Mendes, but I am not sure either would like to do a 3rd movie?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RogueAgent, Mendes said he won't be returning, but then again, he said that after SF, as well.
    Even if SP makes $7 billion (yes, epic exaggeration) i'd sooner welcome Campbell back over Mendes as he has a proven track record of balancing plot and character whereas Mendes so far looks to only have excelled mainly in the latter which in tge grand scheme of things isn't good enough, especially when considering the talent and tge source materials available to extract from.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @RogueAgent, Mendes said he won't be returning, but then again, he said that after SF, as well.

Exactly! :)) Trust no one!!! B-)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 4,599
    I know its a long shot but I am sitting watching Last of the Mohicans at the moment. It's simply stunning to look at and some of the use of faded colour is similar in style to Mendes. (who's directing style is unobtrusive and Mann could carry this over )
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=screenshots+last+of+the+mohicans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCcQsARqFQoTCOX3qJPq-cYCFQcI2wodf60MvQ&biw=1366&bih=657
    And we know Mann from Heat that he can do modern action
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=heat+movie+screenshots&biw=1366&bih=657&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCAQsARqFQoTCMu0qITr-cYCFaNn2wodHHgJCw
    Mann would never helm a Bond film, but that happening is a nerdy fan dream of mine.
    We can but dream, it would have been a classic IMHO
    patb wrote: »
    We can but dream, it would have been a classic IMHO

Imagine a proper shootout ala 'Heat' in the Bond world with Mann behind the camera. I would go insane.
    whilst surfing, I saw that someone on IMDB claiming that the last 10mims is the "best 10 minutes ever filmed" not sure if I agree but I am sure that any director would be happy to have this on their CV and there are very few Bond scenes that match the intensity:
  • x007AceOfSpadesx007AceOfSpades Sunny Southern California
    @patb Mann is one of my favorite directors (had the great pleasure of meeting him twice) and I'd probably lose my mind if he directed a Bond film.

One could only hope.
    Yet more Michael Mann fans :-)! Let´s keep it up! We can do it! Soon we´ll be a million :)!
    Mann is a perfectly rational choice as a Bond director when you look at his CV but obviously there will be 1001 reasons why he won't get it. What other directors have:
    such a talent for the visual style,
    attention to detail,
    experience with handling big budgets and the biggest Hollywood stars,
    the importance of soundtrack,
    great with action but also realize that characters need to be developed
    etc etc
    How many other current directors can tick these boxes?
    PS plus his combination of grit/realism combined with artistic style is a good carry over from Mendes, GP obviously like his style, it makes sense to have a similar director
    PPS his movies do have a certain USA gloss but a Bond movie largely set in the USA would be no bad thing
    Youtube clip just to remind any doubters:
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    If Mann directs a Bond film, and I would totally geek out, I'd love it to be set almost entirely in Asia, and have a lot of night scenes and feature one mindblowing shootout. And have Timothy Dalton as Bond who comes back from retirement for one final mission. As for the soundtrack, it should be nothing like any other 007 soundtracks. Maybe Ross & Raznor?
    Mendes has done such a great job in getting the franchise to where it is, it would be bonkers to take a risk with a director with relatively little experience or a non-mainstream style. Its a bit like snakes and ladders, up 2 ladders with Mendes....fir the big bucks, you need to tread the line between keeping fans happy and the public. My inlaws (in their 80s, loved Skyfall, went to see it twice), I cant imagine them going to see a Nolan Bond and what new sector would he bring in to compensate? Mendes has set the tone just right and its there for a sensitive director to pick up.

Mann is a class Director. But would he get the English style humour?
    Fair point but we would assume that there would be British script writers plus he is a clever and sensitive guy who would adapt. I would be 100% sure that he would not turn it into a Miami Vice fest. A Bond based in the USA with FL having a greater role could offer some opportunities for some subtle humour re Bond in America (you say potato etc) I digress
    Well if the answer is that he would get the humour, he would be a good choice. An expensive one mind in terms of wages. He can do action, he can do depth and he has a great visual sence of style.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mann for Bond? Hey I'm in. I love this man's work, including BlackHat. So suit me up, uncle Alfred.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    And the likes of Spielberg and Nolan arent? Please.

I was replying to 'Spielberg'. You must have got in first!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Well if the answer is that he would get the humour, he would be a good choice. An expensive one mind in terms of wages. He can do action, he can do depth and he has a great visual sence of style.

Cheap as chips in the long run compared to the risk of a lesser director producing a movie that is not up to standard. Surely, there are certain things you don;t scrimp on and hiring a Director because they are cheap is asking for problems.
    Re the sense of style, there are very few movies that you can look at and say, that looks like it was directed by X or Y, but, at the same time, it does not get in the way of producing a mainstream movie. If you are a Bond fan and a Mann fan, its pretty easy to imagine what the final product of a partnership would look like. I am not saying it would be perfect, but I just cant think of a better suggestion at the moment

I'm liking the Mann support here, I thought I'd be the only one who was behind this. If it's proper action, attention to detail, pure thrills, and some well-shot sex scenes you want, Mann is your man!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The only problem is that when I publicly say, "I love Mann", people look at me all funny.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi however, you'd get a high-five from me. ;)

DarthDimi wrote: »
    The only problem is that when I publicly say, "I love Mann", people look at me all funny.

Right? I don't get it. It's like when I'm going out to buy new sports equipment at Dick's Sporting Goods, I always get the strangest looks when I say "I love Dick's!"

Ahh, wait...
    I would be fine with Michael Mann