What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

My top choices in this order:

Christopher Nolan
    Sofia Coppola (although she is American)
    Alejandro González Iñárritu
    Mel Gibson (although American and crazy)
    Steve McQueen

I can't believe I forgot to mention one of mine top choices. He has worked on more than one Bond film before but he has directed only one film in his life so far. I believe he is one of the 3 people on the whole planet best suited to directing a Bond film at the moment (the other to being Sam Mendes and Christopher Nolan). His name is TOM FORD.
    It was a good little movie as well.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    What's with the American director hate? We don't whine that a Brit directed Batman lol.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I have no problem with Americans. Fincher, Mann or Howard IMO as long as it's filmed in the US. And cast Chastain. Or Ayelet Zurer (loved her brainiac in Angels &Demons. She has an edge & could make a good villain)
    Why the US stipulation? Just asking not arguing.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Just because I think these folks know how to film the US properly & in a new, interesting way. They've done it before, and beautifully (particularly in the case of Fincher & Mann).

If we're off globetrotting, then there may be better, more experienced choices in that area.

I'm not completely averse to an American director filming overseas though (I think Fincher created a very moody Sweden in TGWTDT & Howard was excellent overseas with both the Dan Brown movies).

You've got me correcting myself now. I'm ok with them doing overseas as well. Just keep the glamour that's expected of Bond.
    And I totally agree. Having said that other than maybe Fincher most of my preferred directors are not American. I prefer Bond have a British voice either in the screenwriter or the director... switching media American writers have not fared too well writing Bond but directors work less in a vacuum.I suppose.
    True. It's all about understanding context and setting & having respect for the franchise.

I would have loved to see Mann direct LTK. He would have been splendid for that.
    Yes that would have exceptional
  • Denis Villeneuve
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Cary Fukunaga
    Tomas Alfredson
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Villeneuve would be an excellent choice, I've been blown away by every film I've seen of his.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 260
    What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?"

The ghost of Terrence Young.....period.

JJ Abrams - we all know the man can direct action and story.

For the love of all that is decent and good in this world....NOOOOOOOO!!!! :)

Seriously, the last thing Bond needs is lens flair and shaky hand-cam.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I always wanted Matthew Vaughn following Layer Cake. But considering he made Kingsman, I've changed my mind!
    I wish Terence Young was still alive!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,767
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I always wanted Matthew Vaughn following Layer Cake. But considering he made Kingsman, I've changed my mind!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I wish Terence Young was still alive!
    Me two times too.

JJ Abrams - we all know the man can direct action and story.
    Action for sure, I don´t mind the lense flare ad shaking we got so far.
    But story? Abrams has proven time and again that he cannot direct story. One could also rightfully blame the writers of course, but at least Lindelof was part of the Prometheus script, and Ridley Scott proved that even out of such utter nonsense he can make something fantastic.

If we´re talking about storytelling, John Carpenter was a genius at that. Don´t know if he still is.

bondjames wrote: »
    True. It's all about understanding context and setting & having respect for the franchise.

I would have loved to see Mann direct LTK. He would have been splendid for that.
    I would still love to see Mann do a Bond film. But as much as I like Blackhat, I´m afraid a Mann Bond wouldn´t make a lot of money.

Denis Villeneuve
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Cary Fukunaga
    Tomas Alfredson

Very interesting, out of the box suggestion.
    Lee Tamahori
    McG
    Michael Bay
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Lee Tamahori
    McG
    Michael Bay

This will go well with some members here. :))
    Lee Tamahori.......the worst director to date!!!!! Ha ha, very funny.
    I have a few names as I am thinking of besides nolan the older I get and branch out the more I am interested in people like

Jaume Collet-Serra (I loved Unknown and Non-Stop)
    Brian De Palma (I liked Snake Eyes and Mission Impossible)
    Chris Nolan (again I like the Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception)
    Pierre Morel (i loved Taken 2 and haven't seen Taken 3 but I feel Taken was the best and the most brutal so I figured I will put him on the list)
    And
    Tony Gilroy (Again I liked the Bourne Legacy plus he was apparently approached for Spectre)

will most agree with this list no but hopefully most of my friends here will find one name they like.
    Have said it before, but I think Ken Branagh would be a good choice for Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Am I the only one who thinks David Fincher would be an excellent choice?
    Chris Nolan is also another good choice, and we should probably get use to the fact that he is the most likely to helm Bond 25 and/or 26.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks David Fincher would be an excellent choice?

Not at all. I'd love to see Fincher do one. Or Denis Villeneuve, who did a very Fincher'esque job with Prisoners.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Prisoners was one of my favourites of 2013. I wouldn't mind seeing Villeneuve to one.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Branagh would be a good choice for any film.

I sure would take Branagh any day over the incredibly overrated Nolan.

Fincher hasn´t done more than impress me with the atmosphere in his films. But I haven´t seen a really good story from him.

I would love to see such marvellous storytelling like Big Trouble in little China offered. Yes, I think Eon should ask Carpenter.

I'm of two minds about Branagh. He can be great, but he's uneven.
    Ludovico wrote: »

May be. But no one is ever 100% all of the time. I just think it could be a good fit for Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »

May be. But no one is ever 100% all of the time. I just think it could be a good fit for Bond.

he's a thespian which I always love.
    Not Tarantino.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,595
    I would have loved to see Tarantino's version of CR as he proposed it. The man is a good writer, and I think people underestimate his ability for restraint (i.e. Jackie Brown which is one of his best films).

I don't think Christopher Nolan would be as good a fit as people think. Too cold and clinical. If there's one thing I don't want to feel when watching a Bond movie it's detachment.

I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Mann direct one, but after the box office failure of Blackhat (and his age) I doubt I'd ever get to. I like originality. I'd like to see what he would do with Bond with his now-trademark digital style. Shake things up a bit.