What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm happy to see another fan of Mann on the forums, especially that beautiful 'Heat' shootout. It is hands down the greatest shootout I've ever seen in a movie. He would be wonderful.

Someone else at the top of the page was bringing up Alfonso Cuaron, who I could see doing some non-stop tracking shots during action scenes in a Bond film, which would be amazing. Just check out 'Children Of Men' and that'll tell you everything.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,444
    Lee Daniels. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0200005/ Last weak i watch The Paperboy, my second movie from him i have seen from him after Precious. There are very much Bond moments in movie with inspecialy the humor, some Moonraker/Live and Let Die moments and David Oyelowo who i also like to see play in Bond movie as villian, Ally or replace Jeffrey Wright as Felix over a whyle. Roberto Schaefer be DOP of this movie and there also can bring him back who did Quantum Of Solace photography. Very intresting to see what Daniels, Schaefer and Dennis Gassner make from a Bond movie.

Con: There mabey whant to take Daniel T. Dorrance as production designer who disapointed me with Mi3 and also work on Die Hard 5. American.
    Jim Cameron.

Easy.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Jim Cameron.

Easy.

Noooooo. Can you even imagine the amount of CGI he'd bring in. It would a complete and utter disaster.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would be nice to hear the villain shout " king of the world" :))
    DrGorner wrote: »
    It would be nice to hear the villain shout " king of the world" :))

Hand me the 3D specs!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2014 Posts: 9,117
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Someone else at the top of the page was bringing up Alfonso Cuaron, who I could see doing some non-stop tracking shots during action scenes in a Bond film, which would be amazing. Just check out 'Children Of Men' and that'll tell you everything.

Actually just watched Children Of Men again this very afternoon. Cuaron would be a fantastic choice and he works a lot in Britain so I think hes a realistic option. Given that B25 is very likely to be DC's last I would like Cuaron to send him out with a bang and then give Nolan a 10 year/3 picture contract to relaunch Blofeld and SPECTRE with a new Bond, hopefully ending with the amnesia from YOLT cliffhanger.

I wouldve loved to have seen what Vaughn might have done with it but after The Secret Service it looks like that boat has probably sailed.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Alfonso Cuaron is an excellent choice for Director.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I want David Fincher to direct one. Something dark & espionage like. I think he'd do a great FRWL type Bond

I loved his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and nearly everything he's done. One of America's great living directors.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Actually just watched Children Of Men again this very afternoon. Cuaron would be a fantastic choice and he works a lot in Britain so I think hes a realistic option. Given that B25 is very likely to be DC's last I would like Cuaron to send him out with a bang and then give Nolan a 10 year/3 picture contract to relaunch Blofeld and SPECTRE with a new Bond, hopefully ending with the amnesia from YOLT cliffhanger.

I wouldve loved to have seen what Vaughn might have done with it but after The Secret Service it looks like that boat has probably sailed.

Agreed Cuaron would be good. Not only does he work a lot in the UK, he's basically lived in London for the last decade.

Not so sure about Fincher. I was underwhelmed by his TGWTDT and thought Gone Girl was okayish - probably the fault of the underlying material but I thought the film descended into absurdity at the end.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    After having seen Interstellar, I pray that Nolan will never get anywhere near Bond. Nolan pursues a kind of bleak and aloof atmosphere in his films that I fail to connect with, and which is kind of an antithesis to the colorful brightness that was a trademark of every single Bond film up until SF. And he constantly uses Hans Zimmer as his composer. So, please, no Nolan, I want to keep going to see new Bond films.

I would however vote for one or the other Gareth:
    Gareth Evans re-defined the action film with The Raid, and with The Raid 2 he proved that he can assemble a wonderful ensemble of remarkable faces in addition.
    Gareth Edwards proved with Monsters that he can do something with little money, and Godzilla is a film that Spielberg himself wouldn´t have done better.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    boldfinger wrote: »
    and Godzilla is a film that Spielberg himself wouldn´t have done better.

lost-mind.gif
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought Matthew Vaughn could do a good job of directing a Bond.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    doubleoego wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    and Godzilla is a film that Spielberg himself wouldn´t have done better.

lost-mind.gif
    Certainly not.

DrGorner wrote: »
    I always thought Matthew Vaughn could do a good job of directing a Bond.
    I´m curious to see how The Secret Service will turn out. Vaughn´s films so far had an irresistible fun factor, but the trailer for TSS reminds me frighteningly of those xXx films.

Vaughan would have been a shoe in. For some reason lots of people think he will now never helm a Bond film.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Vaughan would have been a shoe in. For some reason lots of people think he will now never helm a Bond film.

Vaughn would indeed be great. His Kick Ass films and Kingsman all seem to have the perfect sense of humor the Bond films could use. Match that with a new, young Bond for 26 and I think we'd have a hit. Also, with a not-so-big schedule, they could probably keep him around for 2 or 3.
    My top choices in this order:

Christopher Nolan
    Sofia Coppola (although she is American)
    Alejandro González Iñárritu
    Mel Gibson (although American and crazy)
    Steve McQueen
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I would have loved to see Guy Ritchie helming a Bond film. He's bringing one of my favourite television series to life by adapting it to film, which would be The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and I am eager to see it as soon as it hits the theatres.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    If Steven Soderbergh hasn't retired from feature filmmaking I would've loved to see him helm a Bondfilm!
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Matthew Vaughn
    Michael Mann
    Christopher Nolan
    David Fincher
    Neill Blomkamp
    Steve McQueen
    Katherine Bigelow
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Spike Jonze

and of course Steven Spielberg - with a fabulous Bond score done by John Williams.

Agreed on Fincher or Mann. Both can easily create a masterpiece.....dark, brooding, disturbing. They are the only two I would want for a dialed back thriller like FRWL type movie (which we're 50+ years overdue for, and for which I'm longing for).

In fact, Mann would be the only director I'd want if they were going to film in the US.....he would be absolutely brilliant (no one makes LA look so dangerous). For a cheaper alternative, Dan Gilroy could also perhaps do it if they want to film in the US (I have yet to see Nightcrawler but I have heard it is also fantastic to look at).

I loved Angels and Demons & Rush, so wouldn't mind Ron Howard having a crack at it either

Finally, Hannibal (2001) was visually stunning as well (particularly the trip to Verger's house and the Italian stuff) and suitably chilling, so I'm all for Ridley Scott as well.

Having seen Interstellar, I'm less open to Nolan (see my post/review in the Nolan thread).
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Has anyone else noted that Barbara and Michael are hiring more and more staff that have experience in working with Nolan?

I always thought that Christopher Nolan works more or less with the same people both in front and behind the camera. Now Barbara and Michael might feel they'd lose control of the series once Nolan jumps in with all of his usual suspects, but by bringing in Nolan alumni gradually EON my try to create an environment that Nolan is comfortable with? Maybe it's for the post-Craig era.

If that's the case, Nolan might want stick around for more than just one film, just like with Batman. However I'm not a big fan of him bringing Tom Hardy as the new 007.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    Agree with the criticisms of TDK. But as he says it is a noble failure and at least Nolan sets his sights high. I would say the same about SF, which I see as overloaded with ponderous symbolism, but as a failure it's still preferable to DAD.
    (deleted)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TDK was a wonderful film which loses its way for about 20 minutes right after the interrogation sequence. It doesn't fully recover, but it's infinitely better than TDKR. It's also much better than Interstellar, which was extremely dull.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I was going to say I especially agree with the notion that "Nobody feels like a real person in a real relationship." But then I read on, and I tend to agree to much of what is written in thathat article, even though I would say some of those things bother me less than others.

edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    TDK is an outstanding movie and it does hit grand themes very well. I came away moved and to some extent inspired by the film's message (it stays with you, unlike SF). To me, it was more than popcorn. SF was popcorn to me (but exceptional popcorn).

TDK does rest very much on an excellent performance from Ledger, which they got.

Personally, I prefer BB. It's pacing is slower & one gets a good read on what makes Bale's Wayne tick. I liked the way they closed (Bale-Wayne's story & motivations) that out with TDKR (I may be one of the few who actually liked this movie it seems).

I just wished they could have completed the story arc of Keaton's Wayne in the same way. His Wayne is very similar to Dalton's Bond for me. A story with such promise cut short way too soon.