What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Uwe Boll!

NOOOOOOOOOO. No to that monster.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Only interesting thing about Uwe Boll directing a Bond film is to find out if it's possible for him to embarass himself more than Tamahori.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 4,600
    We have seen via QoS that the director is as important as the actor. I cant beleive they will gamble with the choice of director. Is Martin C too old for the job. ? It must be an utterly exhausting experience. (oops, just seen that MM is a year older!)
    What about Daniel Craig? He is already more hands-on than any Bond actor before him.
    So who would be on their realistic shortlist? If you try for five, in a way, its harder than casting a new Bond. It's very tough, decent directors don't grow on trees.
    http://www.thecinemaholic.com/20-best-directors-working-in-hollywood-today/
    Risico007 wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOO. No to that monster.
    Only interesting thing about Uwe Boll directing a Bond film is to find out if it's possible for him to embarass himself more than Tamahori.

:)) :D ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Very interesting list, @patb Out of them the 2 I would love the most as Bond directors are Nolan (seems like an unpopular choice in this thread) and far, far ahead of him: Fincher.

If Mann never directs a Bond film, I would hate for the franchise to miss out on Fincher too.
    I think its very fair to have Fincher in any short list, I watched Zodiac a couple of nights ago and its great stuff. But he does expect a lot from his audience and he would have to "dumb down" a little to take it on. Panic Room was one of his most "accessable" movies IMHO
    I think Fincher is the only guy who can bring on a composer that will deliver a soundtrack so good it will make a lot of people forget the John Barry comparison and really enjoy the music. I have never been disappointed in the soundtracks of any Fincher film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fincher would be good. But he would have to kept on a tight leash.. otherwise it could be a little too dark!
    patb wrote: »
    Mann is a perfectly rational choice as a Bond director when you look at his CV but obviously there will be 1001 reasons why he won't get it. What other directors have:
    such a talent for the visual style,
    attention to detail,
    experience with handling big budgets and the biggest Hollywood stars,
    the importance of soundtrack,
    great with action but also realize that characters need to be developed
    etc etc
    How many other current directors can tick these boxes?
    PS plus his combination of grit/realism combined with artistic style is a good carry over from Mendes, GP obviously like his style, it makes sense to have a similar director
    PPS his movies do have a certain USA gloss but a Bond movie largely set in the USA would be no bad thing
    Youtube clip just to remind any doubters:
    Wise words, @patb.
    As for the USA gloss, Blackhat is set largely in Southeast Asia.

suavejmf wrote: »
    Mann is a class Director. But would he get the English style humour?
    Given that with Blackhat he single-handedly did more to improve the Chino-Western understanding than years of politics and conferences, I wouldn´t worry too much about the English style humour, especially if, as @patb pointed out too, the writers would provide much basis.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    The only problem is that when I publicly say, "I love Mann", people look at me all funny.
    Only in Germany, @DD ;-).

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Mann for 007 in New York!
    So who would be on their realistic shortlist? If you try for five, in a way, its harder than casting a new Bond. It's very tough, decent directors don't grow on trees.
    http://www.thecinemaholic.com/20-best-directors-working-in-hollywood-today/

Looking at that list "realistically" going through all 20

20. Peter Jackson

Personally I could see it he was on mi6's radar for Tomorrow never dies I believe. However I don't see him as likely as didn't he say he wanted to stay away from franchises

19. Steven Spielberg

A dream choice but sadly unlikely. However there was a time when we thought Mendes was unlikely

18. Terrence Mallik

I don't think he would be interested

17. Alexander Payne

See above I don't think bond is his kind of film

16. Ben Affleck

Way to busy being Batman so I doubt he will do it maybe in 10-15 years.

15. Bennet Miller

I don't think he would be interested either

14. Wes Anderson

Wasn't he almost going to direct one of the brosnan era bond films? I could see this as more likely then Bennet or Terrence Mallik

13. Ang Lee

Rumored for Bond 24 again after The Hulk Disaster he shouldn't be within a five block radius of 007

12. David O Russell

I don't think he would be a good fit honestly, nore do I think he would be interested

11. Kathryn Bigelow

Now we are talking I would love for her to direct Bond and her name came up I think for either Skyfall or maybe Quantum of Solace anyways She would be a great director for 007.

10. Alejandro González Iñárritu

more then likely not interested.

09. Steve McQueen

he hasn't done an action film before but I think he could do a great job.

08. Paul Thomas Anderson

God I hope he doesn't do it.

07. Alfonso Cuaron

Mentioned during Quantum of Solace Skyfall and Spectre I would be fine with him directing Craig's 5th adventure (and hopefully not his final one).

06. Christopher Nolan

Not much to add about Nolan except he did meet with producers for Spectre and there were rumors at the time that it wasn't for spectre but the next one so If he was announced as director in say late April Early May for a 2017 release I would not only be unsurprised but I would kind of be sad that such an obvious choice was used.. Personally I think Nolan would be fine. Yeah The Dark Knight Rises is bloated Yes he like to have exposit dialogue instead of how real people talk but maybe he just wants to direct and DOESN'T want to work on script Perhaps he will leave that to his brother and Purvis and Wade. Which I think would solve nearly all of the gripes people have about Nolan in one move. Like I said I would be fine with this

05. The Coen Brothers

MAYBE this could be really good.... I don't know if this would work

04. Quentin Tarantino

No just no

03. David Fincher

YES just YES

02. Richard Linklater

I can guarantee he is probasbly not going to be directing bond 25.

01. Martin Scorsese

See above

So out of the 20 who do I think it most likely/who I want

1. David Fincher
    2. Steven Spielberg
    3. Alfonso Cuaron
    4. Christopher Nolan
    5. Peter Jackson

• edited July 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Its not straight forward is it? Nolan or Fincher are the stand outs of those five (SS no way and just not a good fit for Jackson), no shortage of new Bonds, a real shortage of new Bond directors (you can really see why they wanted Mendes back)
    There is one guy I'd love to see direct a Bond film, but he has refused every single offer Hollywood has given him: Gareth Evans. On one hand I am very happy he is ridiculising Hollywood action films from his current Asian whereabouts. But, man, if the only Western-based film he would agree to do is just one James Bond film, I would totally geek out.
    Greengrass should be in that 20
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The only problem is that when I publicly say, "I love Mann", people look at me all funny.

Right? I don't get it. It's like when I'm going out to buy new sports equipment at Dick's Sporting Goods, I always get the strangest looks when I say "I love Dick's!"

Ahh, wait...

@Creasy47, try finding a book by Philip K. Dick in the bookshop. "Excuse me, do you have some Dick in your store?"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Uwe Boll!

I actually had the pleasure of meeting the guy once at a convention. He signed two DVD's of his which of course I then had to buy. ;-)

If he did a Bond film, it would be based on a Bond video game for starters. He'd do Nightfire - the PC version - and cast Tara Reid as M and Ben Kingsley as Q. He'd make it for 20 000 dollars and have his cast improvise their lines. We wouldn't actually go to Japan; the Tokyo scenes would be shot in a German forest. And there would be zombies.
    Its not straight forward is it? Nolan or Fincher are the stand outs of those five (SS no way and just not a good fit for Jackson), no shortage of new Bonds, a real shortage of new Bond directors (you can really see why they wanted Mendes back)

Nolan and Fincher make sense. Spielberg is a coulda-shoulda but not fit for Bond duty any more. Not that he's too old or anything but every Steven Spielberg film is a Steven Spielberg film. Back in the 70s, he would have made a Bond film. Now, he would make a Steven Spielberg film with James Bond in it. I may love Spielberg, but I'm also a bit of a Bond purist...
    In my on-going asian-marathon (sorry @Creasy47 and @DarthDimi for no recent updates, I've had my mind on other things), these directors have a striking style that is gorgeous to look at.

I can't find english trailers, or even some with english subtitles, so don't pay attention to the language but just look at the images.

Man On High Heels

For The Emperor

A Company Man

They sort of feel like Bond-esque films with these badass handsome main characters in suits.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, no apology necessary, and 'A Company Man' is another solid choice! I love that movie. I think there are some solid directors out there that could helm a Bond film that aren't necessarily A-list.
    I let a family member borrow a company man and I'm yet to get it back!
    Gareth Evans, particularly with the Raid 2 proved he can definitely direct a Bond film, marrying the development of character with innovative action.
    Evans, Cuaron and McQueen could definitely deliver the goods.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 40,490
    @doubleoego, not only would Evans be a great choice, but it'd take us back to the gritty-fighting type of Bond we had in CR and QoS, so he'd most certainly deliver on the action.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @doubleoego, not only would Evans be a great choice, but it'd take us back to the gritty-fighting type of Bond we had in CR and QoS, so he'd most certainly deliver on the action.

Yes, for sure. I'm actually praying that gritty style of fighting makes a return in SP as they hired the excellent Olivier Schneider to choreograph the fights. I'll be devestated if we don't get great, gritty fist fights.
    You and I both, it was sorely missed in SF. I'm hoping it really shows in any physical encounters between Bond and Hinx.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I'm not sure if this was related to filming SP but during this year's comic relief special with the silly voices had the actors on the set of SP but Craig was sporting a fake black eye...Hopefully it's SP fight related and is an indication of the brutal fights we're hoping for.

CAA8NwrWoAEvc4a.jpg
    I think EON should drop their/Cubby's rule of not hiring American directors. They're simply ignoring a vast pool of talent. The argument of Americans not being able to get the Britishness of Bond doesn't really matter anyway when you have American screenwriters putting words like "yo", "vacation" and "station break" in Bond's mouth.

The Brosnan years were really doing some barrel-scraping with Spottiswoode/Apted/Tamahori. I mean, if David Fincher said tomorrow he wants to direct a Bond movie, what are they going to do, turn him down in favor of Tom Hooper?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 709

suavejmf wrote: »
    Mann is a class Director. But would he get the English style humour?Given that with Blackhat he single-handedly did more to improve the Chino-Western understanding than years of politics and conferences, I wouldn´t worry too much about the English style humour, especially if, as @patb pointed out too, the writers would provide much basis.

Yeah Mann is a great fit for Bond because he is able to bring that travelogue feel. Miami Vice filmed in Miami, the Dominican Republic, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Blackhat filmed in Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and Malaysia. He created a great sense of being there for all of those places. The Blackhat finale with the parade would fit straight into a Bond film.
    Japanese director Sion Sono has a knack for batsh*t crazy movies with huge fistfights/gunfights starting within the bat on an eye and all hell breaks loose. Basically he is the japanese Matthew Vaughn.

Then you have the director of 'The Man from Nowhere', who IMO would be a dream for Bond

And his new film 'No Tears For The Dead'

What about the director of 'The Chaser'? His 2nd film, 'The Yellow Sea' is one of the most gritty and violent action/crime scene I've ever seen

And here, the director of recent gangster movie 'Gangnam Blues' who gave us one of the most stylish crime film of the last decade

And of course, the director of 'A Bittersweet Life', a hugely stylish hitman movie

Asian directors can't handle locations outside their continent? Think again! Here is a badass film set in germany; 'The Berlin File'

Too serious? Well here's the same director unleashed for 'A City of Violence'

You can even look outside of South Korea, like this extremely badass and stylish hitman/gangster film by Hong-Kong's Johnnie To: 'The Mission'

Even for fun, Johnnie To can wipe the floor with most action films from hollywood:

City of violence is amazing. The fights are just crazy especially the end fight with the most nonchalant yet badass ending.
    Agreed @doubleoego. If you noticed, I've added 2 Hong-Kong trailers in my post, and I seem to remember you've said you also enjoy HK films. ;)