What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

Directing Bond will take more than just producing fights etc, there will be the politics within the production, the egos of the stars, dealing with the media, handling massive budgets and timelines plus managing the second units etc etc, its a mega tough job and I think there are only a handful of people up for the job, I just cant see they would gamble with a relative unknown
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Sion Sono for example has directed 10 films from 2010 to 2015. I'm sure he can take that level of commitment and focus on just one blockbuster film.
    In my on-going asian-marathon (sorry @Creasy47 and @DarthDimi for no recent updates, I've had my mind on other things), these directors have a striking style that is gorgeous to look at.

I can't find english trailers, or even some with english subtitles, so don't pay attention to the language but just look at the images.

Man On High Heels

For The Emperor

A Company Man

They sort of feel like Bond-esque films with these badass handsome main characters in suits.
    That´s aesthetic stuff, but there are elements that remind me of elements from Mendes films which I´m not fond of. I don´t how to describe it properly. The frame composition is too creamy. To me, it lacks a certain roughness in the frame composition, like Michael Mann has, or Gareth Evans.

Talking about Gareth, what´s wrong with Gareth Edwards? His Godzilla film has lots of iconic images, there´s a lot of new, and quite fascinating interpretation, and at the same time he´s not overly respectless toward the tradition.

Talking about those trailers again, there´s a moment when the camera pans along a meeting of men at a table, which reminds me painfully of how much I miss the quiet camera work of the 60s and 70s Bond films, total perspectives with the camera moving seemingly exclusively for practical reasons, not for aesthetics.

• Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Joe Wright (Atonement, Hanna) has been my #1 choice for a long time; his films always have a deep sense of character, atmosphere and are very stylish (working with Seamus McGarvey often helps this).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Agreed @doubleoego. If you noticed, I've added 2 Hong-Kong trailers in my post, and I seem to remember you've said you also enjoy HK films. ;)

Correct, sir. I do. :D
    Pierre Morel?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Having just watched MI Rogue Nation Christopher McQuarrie definately should.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know he'd be completely wrong for the part but it'd be interesting to see what kind of Bond adventure Tarantino could whip up at the helm of his masterful filmmaking.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I know he'd be completely wrong for the part but it'd be interesting to see what kind of Bond adventure Tarantino could whip up at the helm of his masterful filmmaking.

Like his once talked about version of CR starring Pierce Brosnan?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    David Fincher for me, Seven, Gone Girl & The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I think he could make a masterful Bond Thriller.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    At this point I would like to see a really bold step in the bond franchise.
    After Craig (no matter if it's SP or Bond 25) EON should make a new approach:

Do a one-time event like a Bond movie taking place in the 60's or 50's, cast an actor especially for that movie. Take a unique director like Fincher or Tarantino for it and let the director cast the actor!!

If that works, a sequel can be made. If not, EON can easily create a new era.

In any way, the times when the same actor can do 5 movies within a reasonable amount of years are over. If Craig does Bond 25 in 2018 it will have been a whopping 12 years for 5 movies. Everything more than 9 years for 5 movies is not acceptable.
    Think more about this and think Director: Edward Zwick who directed Blood Diamond would be awsome.
    Matt Helm should Helm =))
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Like his once talked about version of CR starring Pierce Brosnan?

God I'd've love to see that or read it. Then again, I have such a clear view of it in mind I think I could probably write it. Someplace on here or commanderbond.net there's probably a post from me describing in nauseating detail the way I wanted to see CR go right before it got made, where I basically invented a whole new act 3 instead of what they did in the film with whole cloth first hour.

I remember adapting CR as a short film script when I was in highschool (think it would have run about 40 minutes), and the only invention was adding a finale in which Bond faced off against the guy who carved his hand. I think they were on different boats, kind of a gunfight stance, but each bobbing up and down in frame before the guns came out.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    In my on-going asian-marathon (sorry @Creasy47 and @DarthDimi for no recent updates, I've had my mind on other things), these directors have a striking style that is gorgeous to look at.

I can't find english trailers, or even some with english subtitles, so don't pay attention to the language but just look at the images.

Man On High Heels

For The Emperor

A Company Man

They sort of feel like Bond-esque films with these badass handsome main characters in suits.
    That´s aesthetic stuff, but there are elements that remind me of elements from Mendes films which I´m not fond of. I don´t how to describe it properly. The frame composition is too creamy. To me, it lacks a certain roughness in the frame composition, like Michael Mann has, or Gareth Evans.

Talking about Gareth, what´s wrong with Gareth Edwards? His Godzilla film has lots of iconic images, there´s a lot of new, and quite fascinating interpretation, and at the same time he´s not overly respectless toward the tradition.

Talking about those trailers again, there´s a moment when the camera pans along a meeting of men at a table, which reminds me painfully of how much I miss the quiet camera work of the 60s and 70s Bond films, total perspectives with the camera moving seemingly exclusively for practical reasons, not for aesthetics.

Sorry man the camera work and aesthetic look like they have been filmed by the same guy who did Revenge

No thank you sir.
    Jazz007 wrote: »
    Joe Wright (Atonement, Hanna) has been my #1 choice for a long time; his films always have a deep sense of character, atmosphere and are very stylish (working with Seamus McGarvey often helps this).

I quite enjoyed Hanna.

However, I do sometimes wonder whether too much emphasis is being put on the importance of 'character'. It strikes me that one of the most important things for a Bond director is the ability to tell a story simply and clearly (sounds easy but isn't), and to integrate action seemlessly with the plot. A sense of humour also helps.

I think Kenneth Brannagh should be given a crack. His Thor was highly entertaining. It had clearly defined and entertaining characters, but it wasn't a 'character study'.

There's an underrated simplicity to the best Bond films. Everything is really quite stripped back. I think Brannagh would be able to bring some of that tight, entertaining style back to Bond.

Getafix wrote: »
    Jazz007 wrote: »

I quite enjoyed Hanna.

However, I do sometimes wonder whether too much emphasis is being put on the importance of 'character'. It strikes me that one of the most important things for a Bond director is the ability to tell a story simply and clearly (sounds easy but isn't), and to integrate action seemlessly with the plot. A sense of humour also helps.

I think Kenneth Brannagh should be given a crack. His Thor was highly entertaining. It had clearly defined and entertaining characters, but it wasn't a 'character study'.

There's an underrated simplicity to the best Bond films. Everything is really quite stripped back. I think Brannagh would be able to bring some of that tight, entertaining style back to Bond.

Kenneth Brannagh would be a marvelous choice! And he should play the villain as well, imagine that. And even have a go at the screenplay.

Brannagh still is highly underrated in my opinion. If you think of all that he has done in his career.
    @Getafix, I'm so with you, man.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm game with Brannagh. I enjoy his films.
  • RC7RC7
    Count me in for Branagh too. When someone knows 'character' they don't have to show off and thus ram it down your throat. Branagh would find a great balance for Bond I feel.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 9,771
    Wait didn't Branagh direct Jack ryan Shadow Recruit... And Frankenstein with Robert De Niro?

He did and also Thor....

Thor was a bit of a mess Frankensiten was OK not amazing not bad still haven't seen Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Wait didn't Branagh direct Jack ryan Shadow Recruit... And Frankenstein with Robert De Niro?

Campbell directed Green Lantern and Vertical Limit. Certain directors find their feet with different films. Thor was excellent and I feel he could do a job with Bond.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020

He did and also Thor....

Thor was a bit of a mess Frankensiten was OK not amazing not bad still haven't seen Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit.

Even a very good director can sometimes not save a picture.
    Even Martin Campbell could have not saved Skyfall but it certainly would have been a lot better.

I think Brannagh proved himself enough to be good at many different things.
    I think he would be a good fit for Bond. I haven't seen that Jack Ryan movie though. I hear it wasn't that good.

I think Thor is brilliant though - just the right tone. He knows exactly what he's trying to achieve with that film and does is brilliantly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say his Cinderella is also excellent in terms of knowing what it wants to do and achieving it brilliantly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883

I don't know enough about Branagh, but I was deeply disappointed with Shadow Recruit (what a terribly wasted opportunity with a franchise that was aching to be reinvented properly) and remember being somewhat nauseous and uncomfortable during Frankenstein.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, as long as he doesn't star in it (best to focus on one job at hand).
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 232
    This may sound like a very superficial attitude, but to be honest, ... Fincher's movies, regardless of quality (and I find his SE7EN to be THE best movie of the 1990s), usually look dingy. It is pretty much the opposite of what I'd ever expect to see in Bond, where you'd typically have a really good backlight edging the character even in the darkest moments, unless you were doing something pretty like the office fight in SF, which is outasight. There ARE some murky moments in SKYFALL, but I find those to be among the rarest of failings, the scarce animal known as a Deakins miscue.

Fincher's movies often are shot in nearly available light conditions, and according to two of his DPs I spoke with, he loves to operate on the low end of the oscilloscope readings for the digital cameras. That's just totally at odds with any concept I have of the Bondverse (would be great for SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD perhaps, assuming you could come up with any justification for remaking a movie that was done absolutely right the first time out, and no, remaking it in color is NOT a good justification.)

EDIT ADDON: here's a piece on how Fincher likes to shoot wide open, on GONE GIRL:
    http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/modern-family/
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,257
    David Fincher for me, Seven, Gone Girl & The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I think he could make a masterful Bond Thriller.

I'm right there with ya. I'd love nothing more than to see Fincher give us a mystery/thriller Bond flick. He tops my short list of desired directors.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think he would be a good fit for Bond. I haven't seen that Jack Ryan movie though. I hear it wasn't that good.

I think Thor is brilliant though - just the right tone. He knows exactly what he's trying to achieve with that film and does is brilliantly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say his Cinderella is also excellent in terms of knowing what it wants to do and achieving it brilliantly.

I quite liked Shadow Recruit. It deserved a bit more slack than it got. I would happily pay to see a sequel. Heck, Branagh got a good performance out of Keira Knightley in that, which I think is an accomplishment in itself.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    The guys who directed ''John Wick''. Give them a solid script, they'll take care of the action and make it look amazing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    From Collider, for what it's worth.

http://collider.com/james-bond-25-director/