SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

• edited July 2015 Posts: 3,164
    RC7 wrote: »
    I think someone should change the title of this topic from 'imminent' to 'soon'. That may help quell the hype-rage. But for gods sake, give us something EON!! This is one of the most brain dead approaches to marketing a film I have ever seen. There is no build yet and we are 3 MONTHS from release. WHAT?!

Logical move not to release among the Comic-Con hype. Bond will be everywhere come October. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with having some kind of elongated build up. It's fucking James Bond. For the month before release you won't be able to escape the endless Heineken, Coca-Cola, Sony ads and trailers.

Which is why late this week/early next week would be good...

Also here's another thing - while the countdown on the official 007 site to the teaser did go up at 5pm on Wednesday March 25, the official accounts only announced the teaser trailer at 8pm:

So MAYBE we'll get something in 2 hours - we'll see....it's been classified, the international dubs were done in the last few days, hell it was already shown at CineEurope and to press - it's coming...
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    antovolk wrote: »
    I think someone should change the title of this topic from 'imminent' to 'soon'. That may help quell the hype-rage. But for gods sake, give us something EON!! This is one of the most brain dead approaches to marketing a film I have ever seen. There is no build yet and we are 3 MONTHS from release. WHAT?!

Logical move not to release among the Comic-Con hype. Bond will be everywhere come October. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with having some kind of elongated build up. It's fucking James Bond. For the month before release you won't be able to escape the endless Heineken, Coca-Cola, Sony ads and trailers.

Also here's another thing - while the countdown on the official 007 site to the teaser did go up at 5pm on Wednesday March 25, the official accounts only announced the teaser trailer at 8pm:

So MAYBE we'll get something in 2 hours - we'll see....it's been classified, the international dubs were done in the last few days, hell it was already shown at CineEurope and to press - it's coming...

at some point
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Then why release the teaser so early?
  • RC7RC7

In all honesty I'm not fussed in drawing parallels with things that did and didn't happen, previously, or whenever. There are reams of posts on this site of people trying to draw parrallels with previous releases and then seeing their arse when it doesn't work out. There's a very simple way to deal with it. Just wait.
  • RC7RC7

For the ravenous wolf pack known as 'fans'.
    we will get the trailer when we get the trailer and then we will have cake.

Or actually to get ahead of everyone else and get Bond into people's heads before the other fall movies (Star Wars, Hunger Games, The Martian to name a few) kick off....that was a brilliant decision by Sony, having it with Furious 7, while nearly everyone else (including Warner with Batman v Superman) packed into Avengers: Age of Ultron.
  • RC7RC7

Or actually to get ahead of everyone else and get Bond into people's heads before the other fall movies (Star Wars, Hunger Games, The Martian to name a few) kick off....that was a brilliant decision by Sony, having it with Furious 7, while nearly everyone else (including Warner with Batman v Superman) packed into Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I was being facetious. Too many people shitting their knickers over things out of their control.

Yup. And moreover, the biggest summer blockbusters are still drawing lots of interest and attention. And together with that ComicCon "SPECTRE" could be a bit.....forgotten I think.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 188
    Did anyone see this post L-) ?? I mean, I think it could be perfect spare time for the meantime.

I think many people are so wired/tense with anticipation right now that they either don't want to be distracted or won't be able to get into the spirit of a new fun thread because they are occupied refreshing pages and stuff.
    roko wrote: »
    Did anyone see this post L-) ?? I mean, I think it could be perfect spare time for the meantime.

I think my people are so wired/tense with anticipation right now that they either don't want to be distracted or won't be able to get into the spirit of a new fun thread because they are occupied refreshing pages and stuff.

Again, there's the word again: "PATIENCE". The more often I type it, the more I think it could be a wonderful James Bond title too. And, it's an individual card game ;-).
    It's kinda funny how desperate people are for new material. Not that I'm not being a bit hypocritical lol.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm glad it's not out, there's a possibility that this next trailer could just spoil the movie like Terminator Genisys's trailer spoiled the twists of that movie. I've only watched the teaser and tv spot trailer like five times each so I don't overhype myself. My guess it will be more of what we saw with a few new things. For crying out loud people, the film just finished filming, I think the powers involved are more pressed for editing the film then putting out a trailer. If you want something, watch the teaser and tv spot again.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm glad it's not out, there's a possibility that this next trailer could just spoil the movie like Terminator Genisys's trailer spoiled the twists of that movie. I've only watched the teaser and tv spot trailer like five times each so I don't overhype myself. My guess it will be more of what we saw with a few new things. For crying out loud people, the film just finished filming, I think the powers involved are more pressed for editing the film then putting out a trailer. If you want something, watch the teaser and tv spot again.

Couple of things:

1. It won't, if reactions at CineEurope, where it was first shown at the end of last month, and which I posted multiple times in this are to go by, not to mention the teaser trailer itself which with the way it has been done is very unprecedented in today's marketing climate for blockbusters
    2. They've already had the trailer ready for about 2/3 weeks and they've been doing the international dubbing the past few days. In fact the reason why the trailer is so overdue is because they've been hard pressed finishing principal photography, in an ideal world this would've been released with Jurassic World in mid-June.
    3. It's already been classified by BBFC for theatrical exhibition, which they wouldn't have done if it wasn't coming in the next couple of weeks.

I think what people keep on forgetting about is the marketing and in some cases thinking Bond is above all that - it's not. Sure some people are a little bit over-reacting but remember that just the James Bond brand isn't enough to get people into theatres, especially if they want to outdo Skyfall's success - which has put the franchise right there in the top tier with Hunger Games, Marvel, DC etc...the films SPECTRE has to go up against to be perceived as successful.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 832
    Honestly though, I'm more worried about the film doing well than about things being spoiled. To anyone who says that they don't care about how much the movie makes, it's clear than Sam and co. are doing a LOT of things right with this movie, at least to me. If you want them to continue with similar approaches with future films like I do, its gonna have to do well.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 832
    [
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Any chance Sony/MGM are trying to release the trailer when M:I5 comes out? Other Sony releases of interest would be... Pixels? War Room?

@Ottofuse8 It's kind you have such faith in "Sam and co.". Not trolling, it really is. However, I wouldn't be too worried about how SPECTRE would do. If it's good, it will do well, if it's not, it won't. The catchphrase "From the team that brought you (...)" never meant much to me. I'm not skeptical about SPECTRE, especially since the trailers looked promising, but neither am I already convinced it will be great. Time will tell.
    I am guessing MI5 for Spectre trailer but I have been saying that since may so who knows.
    Any chance Sony/MGM are trying to release the trailer when M:I5 comes out? Other Sony releases of interest would be... Pixels? War Room?

MI5 is the absolute latest, so yeah either Pixels or MI5. If it's with Pixels it will almost definitely be with MI too for what it's worth. Sooner this drops the later, we know it's coming and ready....

I don't know what it's like abroad but in the uk we get blanket wall to wall promotion when a new bond is out. Interviews on prime time, documentaries about the new film, invariably a documentary about the series. No one can avoid the fact there's a new bond film. Deep breath and relax. Don't worry about box office. Don't demand priority on seeing the trailer. Just fill your time with something till it's released.
  • RC7RC7
    I think what people keep on forgetting about is the marketing and in some cases thinking Bond is above all that - it's not. Sure some people are a little bit over-reacting but remember that just the James Bond brand isn't enough to get people into theatres, especially if they want to outdo Skyfall's success - which has put the franchise right there in the top tier with Hunger Games, Marvel, DC etc...the films SPECTRE has to go up against to be perceived as successful.

It's interesting you see Hunger Games as top tier, 'flash in the pan' is my view. It's certainly not fit to lick 007's boots.

Regard marketing, I don't think anyone thinks Bond is above it, but it's a totally different beast to the rest. It's an institution and it's appeal skews older than the rest you mention. It's audience isn't one that needs everything 'now!'.

The deal with Bond is delivering a 'quality' trailer, which they did with the teaser. If this full trailer seems a little late, but meets the requisite 'quality', it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Keep Calm and love Bond.

Let's not become wankers fixated on how 'successful' the film is perceived to be. Let's make up our own minds, because when the dust settles the masses will all be on to the next thing. No one on here let's 'success' cloud their judgement of the canon. For every SF fan, there's a AVTAK fan and so on. If it's a good film that should be enough for us.
    Just a quick note - People are looking at Sony films that the trailer could be first released with, I don't think it matters which studio is releasing a film for the trailer to be attached - The SPECTRE trailer could premiere with any upcoming film.
    Well I have to be honest I was really looking forward to seeing something new video wise today?!!! Consider me very disappointed!!! :((
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Just a quick note - People are looking at Sony films that the trailer could be first released with, I don't think it matters which studio is releasing a film for the trailer to be attached - The SPECTRE trailer could premiere with any upcoming film.

Precisely. Just so happens to be that a Sony movie is released next week (Pixels). The teaser premiered with Universal's Furious 7 back in April!

It's interesting you see Hunger Games as top tier, 'flash in the pan' is my view. It's certainly not fit to lick 007's boots.

Regard marketing, I don't think anyone thinks Bond is above it, but it's a totally different beast to the rest. It's an institution and it's appeal skews older than the rest you mention. It's audience isn't one that needs everything 'now!'.

Talking about the franchise that has consistently been in the top 3 highest grossing films in the U.S. (domestic) for the past 3 years and had it's domestic gross for each of the 3 films released so far beat Skyfall's (in the case of the first two, by the tune of $100m). And yes, this year's is the last film in the franchise although Lionsgate are keen to milk it till it's dry as that's all they've got....

Now that's exactly what I mean about people "thinking Bond is above all that" for whatever reason. We aren't talking about the quality of the films, we are talking about box-office, and that depends a lot on the marketing and to some extent the quality of the films and their reception by critics and audiences alike too, so yes, when talking about the marketing, when the trailers and posters and other materials come out, you have to consider what sort of success SP is trying to achieve and the competition.

Now Bond, in box-office terms, has always been way more popular outside the U.S., while being mid-level in the U.S. Now with Skyfall being as successful as it was, coming #4 domestically in 2012 and getting over $1billion worldwide, you can see why SP's on that level as everyone else, and why for it to repeat its success in a heavily crowded year with new Avengers, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Hunger Games films - especially in the United States, a market which wasn't that favouring for Bond (you know why they released the SPECTRE trailer at such a bad time for UK people?), you need to step up the marketing game to the level on those films because unlike in the UK and other overseas territories, just the 007 brand isn't gonna cut it. It isn't a "different beast from the rest", it's exactly like the rest, a four-quadrant blockbuster aiming aggressively at all the demographics, young and old, males and females. It's as much an institution, maybe less so in the U.S. as Marvel, or even Hunger Games (which btw is expected to beat SPECTRE in the US this year, while SP will win over overseas due to HG's unusually low overseas appeal, and probably in terms of total worldwide gross too) The only difference is the fan base, and the unusually for this sort of film heavy popularity overseas compared to the United States.

And Sony got off to a fantastic start with putting the teaser early with Furious 7, get that out there and in people's minds before Batman v Superman, Star Wars etc flooded the airwaves around the time of Avengers 2 in May. Now the ideal time to drop a full trailer would've been Jurassic World, but they skipped that because they, I assume, wanted more footage from the bits they haven't filmed at the time. And at this point, as long as they get it out by the end of the month, and have it in front of Mission Impossible which is the last big movie of the summer, we should be good. Given it's all ready to go and it's been nearly 4 months since the teaser trailer, the sooner this drops now that the Comic-Con hype has died down the better.

And last point - I doubt Sony don't want this film to do better than Skyfall, or will be satisfied if it doesn't do better than Skyfall. And they still have Avengers, Star Wars and Jurassic World that they're up against (and Hunger Games in the US)
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    @Antovolk I don't give a rat's ass about Box Office. Bond will still be going when the Hunger Games is a very distant memory.

This film will do very well, possibly brilliantly. If it doesn't, f*** it. Who cares? Simple as that.
    @Antovolk I don't give a rat's ass about Box Office. Bond will still be going when the Hunger Games is a very distant memory.

This film will do very well, possibly brilliantly. If it doesn't, f*** it. Who cares? Simple as that.

Because Hunger Games is just a 4-film franchise based on 3 books and with Bond they'll just come up with more stories to do....artistically they are different, while playing on the same field box-office wise.

And herein lies the issue - you can't judge or criticise Sony's marketing choices without thinking about the box office, without thinking about at what level the film is playing at this time round and what its competition is, which thanks mostly to Skyfall has gone up, and taking that into consideration. And you said previously that you "don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with having some kind of elongated build up" - well I'm explaining why. That's the way movie marketing works now in this climate and Bond is, I'm sorry to say, not different.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well I have to be honest I was really looking forward to seeing something new video wise today?!!! Consider me very disappointed!!! :((

Same here :( Maybe tomorrow....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Post of the F***ing day. \m/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That being said, box office is crucial. If we expect to be given the same quality of film in future the numbers have to add up. 3:-O
    That being said, box office is crucial. If we expect to be given the same quality of film in future the numbers have to add up. 3:-O

This, plus SPECTRE is probably the most expensive Bond film, probably one of the most expensive films ever...
  • RC7RC7

Bollocks.