Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

I wanna see the film
    It's entertaining enough. Sadly it's also aggressively dumb - from a series the first two entries of which were really smart and thought provoking. Really sad to see it come to this.
    Saw the original Terminator again last night (after my viewing of GE). In terms of pure suspense and atmosphere this holds up very well. Arnold is great as the unstoppable force that is the T-800, but Linda Hamilton and Michael Beihn are the ones that ultimately carry the film.

The electronic soundtrack also deserves a mention. Who doesn't get goose pimples listening to the first few minutes of this:

The original remains perfect. It is so lean
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I love the second and that's always been my favourite growing up. But I think the first MAY be better.

Cameron pinches quite a few set pieces/moments of dialogue and re-uses them in T2.

My only real criticism of the first is that I wish the filmmakers hadn't tried to force us to buy Kyle's Nike trainers.
    The second is great, but the first is perfect...I can't say that about the sequel. There are things in the theatrical cut that need the director's cut in order to work, but the director's cut is flabby. I can't stand Furlong, and the teaching the Terminator sassy lines is awful. Sarah in a military vest with aviator shades and a cigarette hanging out her mouth...and the imagery of burning kids toys and rides is also very on the nose. It's a terrific film, but it succeeds a masterpiece
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 462
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    That said, Cameron is set to get the rights to the franchise back in 2019, regardless.

As much as I liked Genisys, here is something that does put the whole thing into perspective: T2 had a deleted scene involving Arnold smiling. Why was it deleted? Because Cameron decided he didn't want the Terminator to become a silly comical character. That said, Arnold smiles no less than THREE TIMES in Genisys.

So, while I did love the movie and found it to be the best one since T2, I am looking forward to getting Cameron back.

Regarding Cameron, does anyone know if he plans to make sequels, or reboot his own characters?
    But by this point, Sarah has already had "Pops" guarding her since the early 70's (she even states that she is trying to have him blend in). Arnold in T2 states that each terminator has a learning-CPU installed but the factory setting is on 'Read Mode' by SkyNet out of the factory. So while I absolutely agree with Cameron's reasoning behind it, it definitely isn't too much of a stretch - I just didn't like the amount of times it happened. The last time where Reese, Sarah and Arnold get their mugshots taken went too far, IMO.

As far as sequels go, I know that Cameron has stated multiple times that the story arc was completed with Terminator 2. Whether he would want to make another is anybody's guess but I highly doubt it at this point. See the deleted alternate ending to T2 and you will see what I mean. I just don't see Cameron having anything important left to say about any of the characters.
    But by this point, Sarah has already had "Pops" guarding her since the early 70's (she even states that she is trying to have him blend in). Arnold in T2 states that each terminator has a learning-CPU installed but the factory setting is on 'Read Mode' by SkyNet out of the factory. So while I absolutely agree with Cameron's reasoning behind it, it definitely isn't too much of a stretch - I just didn't like the amount of times it happened. The last time where Reese, Sarah and Arnold get their mugshots taken went too far, IMO.
    That's true- on that note, I can't be the only one who wanted to see more of Arnold
    living on his own for 30+ years. There was potential gold there, like the 'Kung Fu' or 'Incredible Hulk' tv shows but with the Terminator, lol
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,694
    Arnold said he is going to be in T6? And he is doing 'Legends of Conan' too? I'd like Arnold to also play in another 'Predator' (proper sequel to the original) and a sequel to 'Commando''! Please Arnold make as many epic movies while you are still as badass as you are now! [-O<
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Cameron getting the rights back will likely just mean we won't get any Terminator films before someone buys them off him again. He's been used as an adviser for all the sequels and could have made another at any point if he wanted to. It's not like the studio fired him or anything, in fact I think there's a video/trailer online of him endorsing Genisys. He stopped directing them by choice and he's been involved with all the sequels to a degree, he didn't leave the franchise on bad terms or anything, he just moved on and didn't want to make any more I guess.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Just watched it, earlier than I had intended.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised. I rank it probably ahead of 3 & 4 for entertainment. Of course it will never touch the first two, but I remained interested throughout.

I compare it to Jurassic World from earlier this year, in the sense that there are reboot elements in it (a sort of deja vu with some scenes) but in a pleasant way, just as with that film.

I have a feeling this will get reasonably good word of mouth and may have good holdover into next week. I suspect its poor opening gross was due to the last two installments being iffy compared to the cult status of the first and sheer badass of the second.

PS: Arnie was surprisingly good, as was Jai beefcake. Emilia Clarke was excellent as always.
    It's getting terrible reviews and word of mouth, and has opened soft. I think it's a relative flop in the making
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Think I'm going to pass on this movie. It just doesn't look interesting to me.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Think I'm going to pass on this movie. It just doesn't look interesting to me.

USA. Sport's ultimate cock-blockers.

Too bad about the reviews.... but I feel like this movie will one day be looked on more fondly- and will hopefully do well when it's released on Bluray.

OMG I do have to tell you about what happened in the theater though! I HATE when people talk during movies, but one guy managed to make the whole audience laugh. Remember the scene (which is on Youtube already anyway) when Reese first sees old Arnold and rightfully freaks out, he begins to hunt him around the vehicle only to be swiftly knocked unconscious. Arnold says in complete deadpan, "I did not kill him."
    Well, with perfect comedic timing, someone behind me says 'Oh hi Mark.'

Wbn0mVE.gif

:))
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    edited July 2015 Posts: 757
    It's doing well overseas. Just because it doesn't do well here, it's not the end of the world
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 5,767
    As far as sequels go, I know that Cameron has stated multiple times that the story arc was completed with Terminator 2. Whether he would want to make another is anybody's guess but I highly doubt it at this point. See the deleted alternate ending to T2 and you will see what I mean. I just don't see Cameron having anything important left to say about any of the characters.
    See, this is one big problem with listening too much to directors´ blabber. T2 completely threw T1´s logic out of the window, so how dare Cameron talk at all of a story arc continuing through the first two movies? I won´t deny that T2 makes a certain amount of sense on its own, and it´s a great film, but Cameron made T2 because at the time Arnie would bring in the millions.
    Once he gets his rights back in ´18 or ´19, he might make more Terminator films, provided he´s finished making the three Avatar sequels by then. I´m curious if he will still consider Arnold then, I mean if they make a film in 2020, Arnold by then will only be 5 years older than now, so why not?

excellent movie this new one, and Arnie is great once more.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Great ad (despite Arnie's terrible acting).

• edited July 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Love the movie or hate it, you can't deny that this is freaking awesome.

Brett Azar is the bodybuilder who plays 'young Arnold' for the 1984 and 70's scenes. CGI was used to put Arnold's face over his. He changed his entire workout in order to look specifically like Arnold circa 1980's.
    Freaking look at this:

11385577_1454025641566607_326962835_n.jpg
    terminator_genisys_split_h_15.jpg

Now that's impressive!

*Edit: Oh, and if you want to have nightmares, here he is wearing the 'Arnold mask'. Good god.....

sw39xs.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Azar's body was completely removed/covered in most shots. No matter how much he trained his body was never going to match Arnold's to the degree that was needed. Bodies are like finger prints, no two are the same. Here is an article that gives some insight into the process.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/01/terminator-genisys-building-young-Arnold

Here is what is said about replacing Azar.

Step 3: Perfect the Body Language

The multidimensional shots of Schwarzenegger’s physique captured in the 1977 documentary Pumping Iron became crucial pieces of information while building the young Arnold—helping to re-create everything from his pecs to his glutes. “Arnold’s body is so unique, we really had to deviate from the [body double],” Stopsack says. “We digitally replaced Brett for the majority of the shots in favor of creating realism and believability.”
    I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie! Arnold was great, Emilia Clarke was great, that Jason Clarke was great I had expected, but I was positively surprised that Jai Courtney seems to have a future as an actor after all.
    Arnold´s smile in the mug shot was incredible, that moment was so bizzarre, just brilliant.
    Much more entertaining than the fourth (which I don´t think was that bad), let alone the third.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,696
    I really loved the way they didn't over-explain things; they just told the story. Arnold was great. Emilia was extra-great. This was totally worth the time & ticket price IMO. Only drawback- they should have used more of the Terminator theme...

Overall ratings:
    T- 9/10
    T2- 9/10
    TG- 7/10
    TS- 5/10
    T3- 2/10
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Google will soon have caught up with Skynet/Genisys.

It will "search" out it's enemies and destroy them.

I know many people didn't like the movie, but I did. Terminator tho is just a big mind fuck with the timeline
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yeah, that was an interesting comment on our current issues...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »

It will "search" out it's enemies and destroy them.
    A good point. Google's power is problematic to a degree (have you seen their new robot dog? Scary!).

However, I'm personally more concerned about Apple & Facebook, as those companies are driving people to 'closed' addictive systems that they control completely (particularly Apple, with it's 'App' based operating system that everyone is emulating). Google's Android system is at least open sourced so others can adapt it.

I don't use Facebook and never will. I don't need others to tell me what to think and what to like. I'll make that determination myself...
    Any word on what Terminator 6 and 7 will be about? and is Arnold going to return?
    I have no problem with Facebook, but I do have a problem with f***in' Candy Crush.