Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Another example not quite at the same level, Lawerance Olivier footage and reworked in the film The Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a early attempt at bringing a legend back to life. Or in a more humourous or distastefull way Bruce Lee head blatantly floating on another actors body in The Game of Death
    GameOfDeath_still3.jpg

lol Technology certainly has come a long way!

I'm getting really excited for Terminator though- already made plans with some friends to go opening night! All the reviews seem to be 50/50 (provided you don't expect it to be better than 1 & 2 it seems)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm going to see it on the first week, even though I know it's going to be a POS. I'm doing it out of respect for what Cameron and Arnie did with 1 & 2 (landmark films in the sci fi thriller genre), and not for anything that has come since...
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm going to see it on the first week, even though I know it's going to be a POS. I'm doing it out of respect for what Cameron and Arnie did with 1 & 2 (landmark films in the sci fi thriller genre), and not for anything that has come since...

Doesn't it make more sense to just watch the first 2 again in that case?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Doesn't it make more sense to just watch the first 2 again in that case?

I will do this definitely before seeing the new one, but out of courtesy/respect to Arnie (or rather, the memory of brilliant Arnie from the 80's/90's), I'll be watching this one, ridiculous though it may be. I did not like 3 or Salvation at all.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I disliked 3, but I found Salvation to be a bit enjoyable, and that's all I'm expecting out of this one.
    GameOfDeath_still3.jpg

I'm getting really excited for Terminator though- already made plans with some friends to go opening night! All the reviews seem to be 50/50 (provided you don't expect it to be better than 1 & 2 it seems)
    Ha Ha you can barely see the outline of Bruce's head lol
    Salvation is the only one of the four I haven't seen since the cinema.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,694

I rewatched Salvation recently, I really enjoyed it. More than I had in the cinema.

I rewatched Salvation recently, I really enjoyed it. More than I had in the cinema.

Said it before I will say it again. They should have continued that story line.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Said it before I will say it again. They should have continued that story line.

Exactly. I don't know why they went for the reboot route when they could (and should) have continued that storyline with Bale as Connor (who, IMO, was perfect on the role).
    Bale wouldn't have done another. He is far from complimentary about MCG
    lol I think the one thing people remember most about that movie is his infamous outburst

However, I do agree, they should have continued the story. At the VERY least, Bale and Yelchin should have returned for Genesys. Now THEN we'd have a serious movie on our hands! Bale AND Schwarzenegger together!! Plus one of the biggest complaints I hear from those who have seen it, is that Jai Courtney sucks every bit of fun and awesomeness out of Reese (to say nothing of the fact that this character who supposedly grew up eating rats and living in the dark now looks like a bodybuilder)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The first two rock. Anything else even remotely entertaining on any level is just a mild plus IMO.
    Did anyone see this yet? I saw it today and found it to be much better than the critic reviews would lead to believe.
    I had a fun ride with it, and was pleasantly surprised to see more 'young Arnold' (which looked outstanding all the way) when he first meets Sarah.

My only real complaints are that the trailer spoiled nearly everything, and John Connor never really felt like much of a threat (was he trying to kill them or freaking hug them?)

But it was good, don't listen to the nay-sayers! I wanna see it again already, just to try and figure a few things out I missed the first time
    Saw it tonight. Yes I agree, the movie was a lot of fun. Trailer ruined the best twist but I think critics are really tearing this apart for no reason. Does it come close to T2? Of course not, no film will. But I enjoyed it. Looking forward to a sequel hopefully
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    GameOfDeath_still3.jpg

Ha Ha you can barely see the outline of Bruce's head lol

It's even more lo-tech than you think. It's not Bruce's face 'floating' as @fire_and_ice put it on another actor's body, but a cardboard cut-out. It's a very short sequence, there is another actor playing Lee's character, but not in this shot.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I haven't seen the film yet. I'll likely watch it on Tuesday. However, I just saw an interview with Jai Courtney.

This guy is the definition of uncharismatic. He couldn't even talk about himself without sounding dense. The interviewer had to ask leading questions and even then he couldn't give coherent answers.

The fact that he's worked with Russel Crowe, Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise and now Arnold Schwarzenegger defies belief. I don't know how he's getting these roles, but it further reduces my respect for Hollywood.

It was such a disappointment to watch this 'up and comer'.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I thought he was good as Varo in spartacus
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 462
    I went in hoping it was better than Terminator 3 and praying it was better than Salvation. I was very surprised.

It was interesting to see the "backstory" to the original film, with SkyNet sending the T-800 back in time. A lot of cool little nods to fans of the first two. But why did they not get Robert Patrick back as the T-1000? I'm sure nowadays his asking fee wouldn't be too much. That would've made the movie that much more awesome.

Go and see it! The sequences done at the beginning of "1984" are done so perfectly. Hoping that a sequel does get made - this is the first time where I can say that I really do want another sequel to Terminator (wasn't alive for T2, which is easily the best sequel ever made).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,694
    I believe when they announced Terminator 5, they said they were aiming to make 3 new films?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 462
    I believe when they announced Terminator 5, they said they were aiming to make 3 new films?

Correct. Dates have been confirmed for release and Arnold has even stated that he is signed on to reprise his role in the next one. However, if Genisys flops, the sequel will obviously unlikely be made. That said, Cameron is set to get the rights to the franchise back in 2019, regardless.

CrzChris4 wrote: »
    That said, Cameron is set to get the rights to the franchise back in 2019, regardless.

As much as I liked Genisys, here is something that does put the whole thing into perspective: T2 had a deleted scene involving Arnold smiling. Why was it deleted? Because Cameron decided he didn't want the Terminator to become a silly comical character. That said, Arnold smiles no less than THREE TIMES in Genisys.

So, while I did love the movie and found it to be the best one since T2, I am looking forward to getting Cameron back.

Regarding Cameron, does anyone know if he plans to make sequels, or reboot his own characters?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,694
    By 2019, if Cameron wants to make sequels/whatever, will they be made right away? Because if in 2019 we're still 2 years away from the next film, Arnold will be around 73 years old...
    In this film, Arnold's Terminator has been around for years. So it's only natural he developed a sense of humor of some sort. Didn't have a problem with the smiling at all.

I find it interesting that critics are tearing this film apart but everybody who I ask who saw it really enjoyed it. Just weird to me. Because once again, I also really enjoyed it

Also to the person who asked about Robert Patrick. He WAS asked to reprise his role. He didn't want to. But he has a cameo in the hospital
  • RC7RC7
    Regarding Cameron, does anyone know if he plans to make sequels, or reboot his own characters?

Can't see him touching Terminator again. If he was honest, I'd imagine in hindsight he'd have loved it to remain a duology.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    RC7 wrote: »

Can't see him touching Terminator again. If he was honest, I'd imagine in hindsight he'd have loved it to remain a duology.

I agree, the timeline he presented was sealed when Arnold's T-800 went into the molten metal.

Is Cameron still planning to do a sequel to Avatar (2009)? It's been 6 years now.
  • RC7RC7
    Is Cameron still planning to do a sequel to Avatar (2009)? It's been 6 years now.

He's doing a trilogy. Shooting back to back in NZ.
    Thanks @RC7!