The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thanks for that featurette. It's looking good.
    NEW TRAILER

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @doubleoego.

It's oozing class. Still not sold on Hammer (he seems like the weak link) but everything else (including the babes) seems amazing. Seems summery to me. Mad Men'esque. August can't come soon enough!
    Are they deliberately keeping the UNCLE theme out of the trailers to give us that WOW moment probably at the climax of the movie? I'll be very disappointed if they don't use it at all.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I much appreciate how everybody seems to talk a little over the top :-).
    And I have no idea why some people seem sceptic about Armie Hammer.
    I never saw the tv series, so I couldn´t care less for any traditional theme tune. I find it already critical that I´m probably supposed to get a wow moment when the name UNCLE is mentioned at the end of the film. I just wanna see a bloody entertaining movie.
  • The new trailer does utilize the score of composer Daniel Pemberton. He verified that via Twitter.

Meanwhile, re: the Jerry Goldsmith theme...it does matter to fans of the original show. We'll see if it's included in the film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    re: the Jerry Goldsmith theme...it does matter to fans of the original show. We'll see if it's included in the film.
    No theme, no going to the theatre for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Trailers for reboots don't typically include the theme song to the original show they are rebooting. The J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies for example didn't use any original series music in their trailers. I'm sure it will show up.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Call me a boring old traditionalist but I kinda hate it when screenwriters have to put in cheap fights just to tell a story. Examples, the two heroes, Solo and Kuryakin, have to fight each other and then we got Kuryakin fighting the Russian sounding woman. Seems ludicrous.

Put it this way, if the screenwriters of The Man From U.N.C.L.E got their hands on a future Bond film we'd have Bond fighting Moneypenny or something just as dumb!

(:|

I'm sure the action bits will be good, though. Can't decide if the trailers prove or disprove Cavill's credentials as a future Bond. He looks good in a suit but I'd have to see the film to see if he has the acting ability for Bond.
    Fortunately or unfortunately it no longer matters if he's a good actor or not. Cavill will never be Bond. Him being tied to the superman movies guaranteed that.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Call me a boring old traditionalist but I kinda hate it when screenwriters have to put in cheap fights just to tell a story. Examples, the two heroes, Solo and Kuryakin, have to fight each other and then we got Kuryakin fighting the Russian sounding woman. Seems ludicrous.

Put it this way, if the screenwriters of The Man From U.N.C.L.E got their hands on a future Bond film we'd have Bond fighting Moneypenny or something just as dumb!
    IINM this is going to be a first UNCLE film. So if they set up the fights as kind of a theme throughout the film, the whole thing could very well make sense. Comparing it to the well-established Bond film series doesn´t make much sense in that context.
    And considering what changes MP underwent since 1989, a little mud catching between Bond and MP doesn´t seem that much far-fetched.

The 2nd trailer looks much better than the first one. I like it.

It's great to see Hugh Grant back on the big screen altough I havea feeling he will end up being the villain.

Looks good tho, and I am becoming more of an optimist about this movie and it's success on the box office.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is picking a nit but Cavill's hair is to full and wavy for the time period; a tighter, cleaner cut would have looked better.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Bit of trivia....

1979: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie that wasn’t
    The Short-Biederman project kicked round until the spring of 1982, according to CRAIG HENDERSON’S U.N.C.L.E. TIMELINE ON THE FOR YOUR EYES ONLY WEBSITE. Sometimes it was pitched as a made-for-television movie as an alternate for a feature film.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/1979-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-movie-that-wasnt/

The 1983 tv film - The Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E.: The Fifteen Years Later Affair - featured an appearance by George Lazenby.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    For those in the US, the original Man from Uncle pilot (To Trap A Spy) is on tv tonight at 10:15pm on Turner Classic Movies:

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/to-trap-a-spy/120753/

Gentleman, Luciana Paluzzi stars in this one.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    NEW TRAILER

Still don't think it will be a cinema visit for me?
  • Some detail about the unusual history behind To Trap a Spy:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/tcm-schedules-to-trap-a-spy-for-june-13/
  • Lionel Wigram, co-writer and co-producer of the movie, with details about the film coming out in August.

http://bit.ly/1BwW8MP
  • Post that asks whether Solo's moral streak (evident in the original series) will make it into the movie.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/will-solos-moral-streak-make-it-into-the-u-n-c-l-e-movie/
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    What do you think about the final full one sheet poster @AlexanderWaverly?

I really love this one. Very smart use of yellow. It looks utterly stylish. A serious espionage thriller:
    7fi0urp08m.jpg

For the same reason I love the new official character posters too:
    man_from_uncle-600x889.jpg
    MAN-FROM-UNCLE-1-600x889.jpg
    MAN-FROM-UNCLE-2-600x889.jpg

But this one......mehhh, I'm not sure. I don't like it very much. It almost look like a cheap 1980's musical poster, especially with those neon colors:
    sM6KRdy.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512

I really love this one. Very smart use of yellow. It looks utterly stylish. A serious espionage thriller:
    7fi0urp08m.jpg

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the BFI IMAX, it was directly next to the Craig SP Teaser. Sadly, the UNCLE poster looked much better and much more stylish in comparison. They really need to get a decent SP poster out.
    RC7 wrote: »

7fi0urp08m.jpg

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the BFI IMAX, it was directly next to the Craig SP Teaser. Sadly, the UNCLE poster looked much better and much more stylish in comparison. They really need to get a decent SP poster out.

Do you need to make your point in every topic about your dissatisfaction with the SPECTRE-poster :-)? I was merely comparing all available UNCLE-posters so far, and which one I liked most :-).
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

7fi0urp08m.jpg

Do you need to make your point in every topic about your dissatisfaction with the SPECTRE-poster :-)? I was merely comparing all available UNCLE-posters so far, and which one I liked most :-).

In a poster thread on a Bond forum I think I can be forgiven for mentioning it. We're not on an UNCLE forum.
    I really love Cavill's shades.
    Love those posters. Best ones yet this year. Vikander certainly is The Asset imho.
    I especially like the Armie Hammer poster. It's like looking at the next James Bond 007 :-D!
    Wait til you see the villainous mastermind poster with Debecki. Blofeld has some tough competition.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    delfloria wrote: »
    Wait til you see the villainous mastermind poster with Debecki. Blofeld has some tough competition.

You mean this one @Delfloria ;-)?

mfu-poster4-06262015.jpg

I love these character posters way way more than the character posters for "Mission: Impossible". BUT, that's also because I've always liked the very simple, yet elegant poster designs for recent Bond films. @RC7 once said they look like 'perfume ads', but I guess I love perfume ads hehe:
    SF_UK_ONE-SHEET_MVK_EXCLUSIVE_zps2b65708f.jpg

I'm really starting to think that "Mission: Impossible 5: Rogue Nation" could suffer, box office-wise, from the premiere of "The Man From UNCLE".
    delfloria wrote: »

You mean this one @Delfloria ;-)?

mfu-poster4-06262015.jpg

I'm really starting to think that "Mission: Impossible 5: Rogue Nation" could suffer, box office-wise, from the premiere of "The Man From UNCLE".

Outstanding. I'm quite speechless.......
    I slightly added my remark. Curious what you think of it ;-).