FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47, Q did say, "Don't touch THAT!" :-)

And now I can't help but wonder just what kind of hunting Q was ACTUALLY doing. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Q is the real badass of the James Bond franchise.
    "Oh, I broke my leg and have a cast on it? Well I have a rocket launcher underneath it!" "Oh, I'm going fishing? Well my boat has 2 missile launchers and a turbo boost!''
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,446

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    M_Balje wrote: »

Agreed on this one @M_Balje. I saw TMWTGG recently and thought this was quite the kiss, even with Sir Rog's patented puckered lips thing going on. Something about the setting on the boat, Barry's score, leaving Thailand etc. that has an air of romance about it, despite the broken glass, & M & NicNac's unfortunate interruptions.
    The pariswheel kiss in TLD

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>067
    </b>If you had 100 million dollars, which famous book would you adapt into film?</font>

I guess I would try to adapt one of the so-called "unfilmable" stories of Asimov, Clarke or Lovecraft. A sufficient budget will ensure good special effects and such. A film adaptation of the Rama series for example, or Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, ... Yes, that's what I would go for.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Cardinal of the Kremlin. As a period piece, to have a nice Cold War intrigue movie.
    I´d make a series of films based on Elmore Leonard´s crime novels, and get Michael Mann as director.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman!!!!! I have been waiting SO LONG---!!!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The Odyssey

i always felt a big screen adaptation of this would be fantastic - especially now that studios are looking for tentpole trilogies to hang their hat on, this epic presents itself the perfect opportunity for a trilogy the size of Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings... plus it's got everything you need - fantastic battles, monsters...

i dont know how i would personally film it... part of me would love to shoot it like '300' - because so much more can be done artistically, but i also like the look of being at an actual location - more traditional style of filmmaking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HASEROT wrote: »
    The Odyssey

i always felt a big screen adaptation of this would be fantastic - especially now that studios are looking for tentpole trilogies to hang their hat on, this epic presents itself the perfect opportunity for a trilogy the size of Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings... plus it's got everything you need - fantastic battles, monsters...

i dont know how i would personally film it... part of me would love to shoot it like '300' - because so much more can be done artistically, but i also like the look of being at an actual location - more traditional style of filmmaking.

There is no way a film can do that book (or The Illiad) justice. But I remember loving an Italian tv series as a kid.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 368
    Hornet Flight by Ken Follett. Such a great book!!!

But I'd also love a good adaption of the Odyssey!! But I think that it is very complex... Not making a pure action thing out of it but keeping the great content.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    HASEROT wrote: »
    The Odyssey

There is no way a film can do that book (or The Illiad) justice. But I remember loving an Italian tv series as a kid.

i think it solely depends on who is writing the screenplay and who is shooting and directing it... if they have respect to the source material, and also know what they are doing behind the camera - then it could be excellent... but - the flipside is, is that you could end up with something like Wrath Of The Titans... so i know what you mean..

but as a filmmaker (even on the small scale indy stuff i do) doing The Odyssey and doing a Bond film would be like the holy grail for me lol.
    Pitcairn's Island
    The third book of the Bounty Trilogy. I read it back in high school and just fell in love with it. I daresay it is the best of the three (Mutiny on the Bounty and Men Against the Sea). Full of engagng charactrers, full of action and a tale of redemption.

As for earlier comments about the Iliad and Odessey, I agree that no film could ever do either book any real justice. On the surface, they look like good adaptable material but with so many characters and complexities, it just could never be done. a pity because both books are great reads.
    Robert-Goddard-Roemloos-ten-onder-20813177.jpgNtaFace.jpg
    Roemloos ten onder (Original title: ''Name to a Face'' 2007) from Robert Goddard (English).

1001004002811898.jpg
    De tijd van de vrouwen - 2006 (Original title: El tiempo de las mujeres -2003) from Ignacio Martinez de Pison (Spanish). There should already be film from this, never found any information about it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AND THE ASS SAW THE ANGEL by Nick Cave would make a really interesting film.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>068
    </b>How do you feel about Benedict Cumberbatch?</font>

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Good actor. He was a great Sherlock.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't know much about him personally but I love him as Sherlock and as
    The pilot in the radio comedy " Cabin Pressure ".
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Good actor, good in Sherlock but I feel like he's a overexposed and also sort of type cast, I feel like he doesn't get the chance to show how good he could be, he's always cast in similar roles which is a shame because he's shown in some films that he can do different stuff to the whole enigmatic mysterious posh guy persona Hollywood have trapped him with (he was very funny in his small role in Four Lions for example, as an awful hostage negotiator). There was also an interview he did which annoyed me somewhat.

So good actor, great in Sherlock but unfortunately I think Sherlock's success has resulted in him becoming trapped in playing variations on that role.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Really good actor, totally great Sherlock. Happy to watch him for years to come. I think he is interesting.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think he's brilliant. I haven't seen all the 'Sherlock' episodes but from what I've seen, he has become one of my favorite UK actors. He was also great in 'Fifth Estate' (I hope I'm not the only one who liked this film) and 'Imitation Game'.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like him but I agree with thelivingroyale. He's overexposed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    He's certainly very good in Sherlock and has an interesting look about him. Sort of unconventional, but looks very smart, and is very articulate, so he sort of fits the character of Holmes. It's perfect casting in that instance.

However, I tend to think he may have limited range. I've seen him recently in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Imitation Game and Star Trek, and he was serviceable in all three, but not exceptional. I didn't see any particular 'star' quality in him in any of these films, but he certainly wasn't bad in them. I need to see him in something meatier before drawing further conclusions.

Bottom line - It remains to be seen if he can anchor an entire movie on his own (he may potentially be lacking screen presence). As an actor for Sherlock though, he's certainly very good.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I have only seen him in a few movies, and the only big part I've seen him in is the lead in The Imitation Game. He is certainly good, but I'm not sure how good. I haven't been wowed, yet. Maybe later, maybe not.

I have no opinion of him as a person since I know nothing at all about him, haven't even seen or read interviews or anything.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think he's very talented but perhaps a little overhyped. The only film I didn't like him in was in STID but it wasn't his fault that he was miscast. It will be interesting to see what kind of roles he will get moving forward.
    My daughter is a total fan so we get to see a lot and to be honest I am fine with that
    BC is certainly one of my favourite actors now. Seen quite a few films with him in, but I absolutely love him as our new modern Sherlock!
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,446
    I hate him. Over-rated. It be more then i hate Christopher Nolan because of over-rated TDK.