FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• I'm not sure I would call it an Oscar-worthy performance, but SLJ's appearance in 'Unbreakable' is a rare case where he actually becomes the character he's playing as opposed to simply being himself onscreen.

And yes, I think he probably could have been nominated for Pulp Fiction. But as others have mentioned, there are far more deserving Oscarless actors out there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I forgot about Unbreakable. A very good movie and Jackson is super in it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm baffled! :p

"Ezekiel 25-17"??? :-)
    I must have been the only one to not consider PF a comedy, but I was scared sh**less by Jackson's performance in those scenes.

Maybe I should watch PF again soon. Bruce Willis listening to Ving Rhames is priceless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>072
    </b>How do you feel about M Night S's movies?</font>
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Sixth Sense- Amazing
    Unbreakable- Amazing
    Signs - Good

The rest- utter crap
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    M. Night Shyamalan did have a great start with Sixth Sense catapulting him into the A-List of directors.
    My favourite is Lady In The Water which is truly amazing.
    Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs are really great as well.
    The Village I found to be good to but the end was very disappointing and ruined the experience for me.
    The Happening was by far his weakest film up to that point.

Then he basically stopped.

I do like The Last Airbender as I like comic adaptions but it wasn't the typical M. Night S. movie.
    After Earth on the other hand might just have been one flop too many after Last Airbender and Happening were flops too.

I did watch the first two episodes of Wayward Pines.
    The first episode might be one of the best pilots I ever saw. M. Night S. did a fantastic job with it and it is like a mini-movie from him. The second episode who had a different director was bloody awful and I stopped watching that show.

His new movie is The Visit which will be in the same style as his successful movies were.
    But even if it is very good I doubt M. Night S. will have a lot of success with it.

His glory days are gone and one could even say he was a one-hit-wonder, even if it sounds harsh. But having successful movies within 4 years and then no more is not a good thing.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Unbreakable is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and will likely remain so for as long as I live. I never cared for The Sixth Sense, as many do; and Signs and The Happening are decent. Wayward Pines was a damn good show, too. Everything else he's done can be exiled to The Village where I will never again see it, because that's the best that it deserves.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>072
    </b>How do you feel about M Night S's movies?</font>

Sixth Sense was genius!
    How about The Lady In The Water and After Earth? :p
    Lady In The Water is my favourite movie of Night.
    I'd even go so far to count it to my Top 30 movies of all time.
    I never liked Paul Giametti but he is just bloody fantastic in that movie.

After Earth....well....er....uh.....a monstrosity of gigantic proportions....
    Man, I tried to watch Lady In The Water once and got hopelessly lost in what I could at the time best describe as hippy stuff. Maybe I need to reassess my judgement.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Man, I tried to watch Lady In The Water once and got hopelessly lost in what I could at the time best describe as hippy stuff. Maybe I need to reassess my judgement.
    I liked it. Not a truly great movie though. Unbreakable was his best IMO.
    Please don't hurt me but I thought After Earth was... OK? :-??

Perhaps I simply like Will Smith and I like how the movie was filmed? ;-)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Sixth Sense has to be one of the most overrated films of all time. The premise is utter nonsense, I just can't understand why people believe it works. Unbreakable was certainly better.

Overall I find MNS to be a taste which I have never acquired. One wonders how many flops he can produce before his halo disappears.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable' are fantastic movies. That's it. His work afterward is horrid trash, but I will admit, the twist in 'The Village' was very well done.
    I liked The Sixth Sense and Signs (at the time)

The Happening was one of the worst cinema experiences I have ever had along with 2012.

I confess to never seeing Unbreakable properly (though I've heard its good).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable' are fantastic movies. That's it. His work afterward is horrid trash, but I will admit, the twist in 'The Village' was very well done.

I cosign this.
    HEY!

Where's No 73?! :-c

This thread is fantastilicious fun!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not too much of a fan of his actually.

I saw The Sixth Sense, and liked the twist (but boy was it a gloomy film). Unbreakable was ok. I liked Signs because the characters were interesting to me (and anything with Gibson and Phoenix cannot be disliked imho). I can't even remember the Village but recall being quite disappointed with it when I saw it.

I havent seen anything else of his and I won't be seeing the ones I've seen again. A bit overrated imho.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,612
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>073
    </b>Favourite portrayal of a scary killer in any non-supernatural movie</font>

"I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye." >:)
    1) Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in The Silence Of The Lambs
    2) Joe Spinell as Frank Zito in Maniac (1980)
    3) Tom Noonan as Francis Dollarhyde in Manhunter
    4) Kevin Spacey as John Doe in Se7en
    5) Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    "I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye."

"Is it becoming clear to you yet? Look at yourself, standing there, cradling the new flesh I've given you. If it means nothing to you, why protect it?"

"Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

*accidentally quoted my first post instead of editing
    @BondJasonBond006, please sir, don't quote yourself; edit the original post instead. Thank you.
    I'm also not counting comic book films

Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs
    Bardem in No Country for Old Men
    Spacey in Seven
    Perkins in Psycho
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 5,767
    1) Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in The Silence Of The Lambs
    2) Joe Spinell as Frank Zito in Maniac (1980)
    3) Tom Noonan as Francis Dollarhyde in Manhunter
    4) Kevin Spacey as John Doe in Se7en
    5) Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho
    I haven't seen Maniac, and also not Michael Rooker in Henry, but I'd sign for Spacey and Hopkins at once. Noonan in Manhunter was more poetic than scary, and Perkins in Psycho was more psycho than scary. Hopkins and Spacey's characters appeared to be very aware of what they were doing, and why, which is what makes them scary for me.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Bardem in No Country for Old Men
    Oh yes, he was scary all right.

Woody Harrelson in Natural Born Killers also had his moments.

Has to be Hannibal Lector played by the outstanding Anthony Hopkins!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Hopkins in 'Silence of the Lambs'
    Spacey in 'Se7en'
    Bardem in 'No Country for Old Men'
    That Yellow Bastard in Sin City.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>074
    </b>Who is your favourite comedic actor of all time?</font>