Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• The Syndicate in the original series was an alternate name for the Mafia. Obviously, it's different here.
    They also mentioned the Syndicate in the last line of Ghost Protocol, in regards to his next mission.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Teaser poster: http://i.imgur.com/gIGhAF4.jpg Btw, it seems like they do release trailers on weekends... (I had my doubts about the Spectre trailer being released on a Saturday.)
    I think they are trying to make the Syndicate into a Quantum/Spectre type organization which I am actually fine with.
    ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F93%2Ff4%2F31cbfbcd4c858c01428f83427447%2Fmision-impossible-5-rogue-nation-tom-cruise-2.JPG

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fdd%2F7e%2Ff05443eb47248d38f387bd788aa3%2Fmision-impossible-5-rogue-nation-tom-cruise.JPG
  • Teaser poster: http://i.imgur.com/gIGhAF4.jpg Btw, it seems like they do release trailers on weekends... (I had my doubts about the Spectre trailer being released on a Saturday.)

What was released today was a television commercial. Full trailer coming Monday, per the end of the commercial.
    The teaser poster:
    8ad1791.jpg
    I really like this.
  • I love it. Can't wait for the actual trailer... Or the movie!!! :)
    The teaser poster kinda reminds me of North by Northwest

and that pic of Cruise in handcuffs reminds me of Superman in Man of Steel
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Can someone change the topic title into

"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)" ??
    Cruise has cleverly turned his MI franchise into his own Bond franchise. Making a last minute decision to move the film up wasn't due to competition with SWs. They knew about scheduling opposite SWs years ago. They got to read the leaked Spectre script in the fall and knew they were copying to many Bond elements to open just weeks later and not suffer from the redundancy.

Paramount's forcing a redo of the ending was also a recognition of trouble with the script. There was stuff in the press about this. Claims that production was shut down for 2 weeks while they reworked the ending were denied by the director but some problems were obvious and their squeezed post production period obviously was dictated by serious concern. They were lucky that the press was so obsessed with the negative Spectre leaks, the problems with MI were lightly covered. Looks to have a good teaser poster and trailer but it will be interesting to see which film most successfully surmounts its problems.
    Love the teaser poster, avoided spoilers though with the trailer coming soon had to see if there was any promotional images.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    smitty wrote: »
    Cruise has cleverly turned his MI franchise into his own Bond franchise. Making a last minute decision to move the film up wasn't due to competition with SWs. They knew about scheduling opposite SWs years ago. They got to read the leaked Spectre script in the fall and knew they were copying to many Bond elements to open just weeks later and not suffer from the redundancy.

Paramount's forcing a redo of the ending was also a recognition of trouble with the script. There was stuff in the press about this. Claims that production was shut down for 2 weeks while they reworked the ending were denied by the director but some problems were obvious and their squeezed post production period obviously was dictated by serious concern. They were lucky that the press was so obsessed with the negative Spectre leaks, the problems with MI were lightly covered. Looks to have a good teaser poster and trailer but it will be interesting to see which film most successfully surmounts its problems.

I suspected this was the reason.

This film looks badass!

Hunt/Cruise is going to deliver big time and I can't wait.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm really looking forward to this installment! I'm glad they haven't gone the way of Bond and completely dropped "the gadgets of tomorrow" thing. I love the new Bond movies but it made me sad when Q told Bond that they don't really use gadgets anymore in Skyfall.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,904

Done.

Going by the trailer, it looks like Cruise has managed to up the ante, after Ghost Protocol. =D>
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Thank you for changing the thread name!
    I am quite happy with the direction and I love that opening line of the trailer from Baldwin

I want you to choose your next words very carefully Where is Hunt?
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    635626245104492812-FERGUSON-MISSION-IMPOSSIBLE-5-MOV-JY-4998-71749955.JPG
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At last! A teaser poster, teaser trailer and title. I like it. It's doing its own spin on the 'evil organisation' plot. I imagine this will be the focus for the films after this one as well.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 163
    Is it me or Rogue Nation is some kind of Quantum or Spectre ?

Not you at all. It couldn't be more obvious to me that they are playing check mate with EON. They have a redundant plot to Spectre and moved it up no doubt with great post production strain to trump Bond. Smart move. The MI5 team had the great advantage of having the full leaked Spectre script to copy or differ from as they chose in the context of a franchise that is already becoming more and more like Bond. Spectre will now likely look redundant to MI5.

The MI5 team had the great advantage of having the full leaked Spectre script to copy or differ from as they chose

Not really since most of M:I 5 was already shot by the time the Spectre script got leaked.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,812
    I'm not sure if this is old news but you know that shot of Hunt hanging on the side of the plane as it took off? Apparently that wasn't green screen and Cruise did the stunt himself!
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-teaser-trailer-114319587902.html

0.jpg
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 163

Not you at all. It couldn't be more obvious to me that they are playing check mate with EON. They have a redundant plot to Spectre and moved it up no doubt with great post production strain to trump Bond. Smart move. The MI5 team had the great advantage of having the full leaked Spectre script to copy or differ from as they chose in the context of a franchise that is already becoming more and more like Bond. Spectre will now likely look redundant to MI5.

Last time around there was a lot of hype about Bourne Legacy and it ended up bad for the other team. I think Bond, when done right is at a whole 'nother level and just a different brand of film than the American action/spy movies.
    Looks very impressive I must say! Certainly a trip to the cinema for this movie! :D
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119

Done.

Going by the trailer, it looks like Cruise has managed to up the ante, after Ghost Protocol. =D>

I think we should not forget that trailers are still trailers. They tease you, showing the most exciting elements (action), while not fully revealing the plot.

So far "Rogue Nation" is shaping up to become quite a worthy entry in the franchise. Time will tell if critics like "Rogue Nation" as much as "Ghost Protocol"...or perhaps even more. And make no mistake, the film is still in post production. It remains to be seen how elements like story and characters hold up after the editing has been finalized.

What I do see however, is that the M:I-franchise is taking over some pretty damn smart elements from the James Bond franchise.
    --> Fighting a crime syndicate (TAURUS?) brings in a continuity element and also story material for future M:I-films. I call it a wise choice, because the M:I-franchise in the future needs to continue, even without Tom Cruise. It's the next best spy franchise after James Bond.
    --> Opting for original (sub) titles for each individual M:I-film is another wise thing to do. When the series progress, sooner or later interest for a new M:I-film also needs to come from story material that distances itself from previous M:I-outings. Paramount and Skydance seem to fully understand that. And, again, quite a Bond-esque approach.
    --> I have a feeling "Rogue Nation" will be slightly darker in nature. One thing that lacked in "Ghost Protocol" were in my opinion the antagonists. But by adding a shadowy, QUANTUM-esque syndicate, one could seriously add some darkness and mystery to the franchise. Without off course leaving the typical M:I-humour.
    --> Bring in the "Hunt-girl". I'm truly impressed by Rebecca Ferguson. With due respect for Paula Patton, also M:I-films need to have some actresses that can outclass Tom Cruise at times. I think Ms Ferguson brings in some acting class as well.
    --> Like James Bond, also Mission: Impossible continues to look suave and exotic, with wunderful locations, intense cinematography and also wunderful costumes. It's a wise thing to put Tom Cruise in a slick double-breasted dinner jacket. He's not thát young anymore, so with his age, also his clothes progress.

--> One last thing that can be done a bit better: Publicity and promotion. Make no mistake, upcoming Friday the teaser trailer for "SPECTRE" will fully draw the attention away from "MI 5: Rogue Nation" onto "JB 24: SPECTRE" again.

The MI5 team had the great advantage of having the full leaked Spectre script to copy or differ from as they chose

Not really since most of M:I 5 was already shot by the time the Spectre script got leaked.

It was a long shoot, as they literally just finished shooting, so much of it was shot post leaks. The ending was also reworked and reshot which they don't want to admit to. None of this means anything as the film will likely be a huge hit even if it is not very good as Cruise and the MI franchise are as someone just noted bullet proof. Moving it up was also very clever.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm not sure if this is old news but you know that shot of Hunt hanging on the side of the plane as it took off? Apparently that wasn't green screen and Cruise did the stunt himself!
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-teaser-trailer-114319587902.html

0.jpg
    Tom is certifiable, God bless 'im!