Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree that MI would have been considered more direct competition if it opened shortly after SP, which was the initial plan.

Having said that, I'm quite certain that MI will have both positive and negative effects on the eventual SP box office (although one cannot obviously quantify it). Positive because if it's good, it will continue to whet appetites for the big daddy of all spy franchises and the follow up to the biggest non-3D movie of 2012. Negative because, if the plots are somewhat similar, SP could provide anti-climactic when it does in fact open, especially because the public may really have had its fill by then of new and interesting spy movies. SP could even prove anticlimactic even if it's great just because expectations are so high among the general public post-SF, and nothing may satisfy them (the TDKR vs TDK problem or Bad vs Thriller problem).

Personally, I think SP looks so different and has a more ambitious and epic scope feel to it that also brings the class, glamour, action and entertainment factors that completely dwarf what SF presented us with. SP so far looks like CR on steroids and I think it's going to resonate well with audiences that will surprise even the most enthusiastic of fans. TDKR imo was boring and just lacked...SP so far seems to fulfill what Gary Powell said early last year; something about that if SF was Mendes getting his toe wet, SP is him going all in.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
  • I LOVE it! Can't wait for the movie <3
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited March 2015 Posts: 805
    Great trailer.

Gauntlet well and truly thrown down.

Show us what you got EON ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Let's hope Eon can show them how it's done. ;)
    That looked fun. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Just watched the trail, if the film lives up to the trailer, then that puts Mission: Impossible out in front... way out in front of Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Just watched the trail, if the film lives up to the trailer, then that puts Mission: Impossible out in front... way out in front of Bond.

Don't worry, @MajorDSmythe, Daniel won't be around forever. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,916

Barbara Broccoli disagrees with you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. ;))

Christopher McQuarrie is a capable director, but he is no Sam Mendes. Spectre will easily own M:I 5.

Christopher McQuarrie is a capable director, but he is no Sam Mendes. Spectre will easily own M:I 5.

I beg to differ. For starters, the MI films tend to be free of the pretentiousness that has invaded the series with Skyfall.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I beg to differ. For starters, the MI films tend to be free of the pretentiousness that has invaded the series with Skyfall.

I agree with you somewhat but I also agree with @Panchito in that I feel SP will be the better movie.

My feelings towards the current Bond films aside, Bond will probably do better in $$$'s.
    Christopher McQuarrie is a capable director, but he is no Sam Mendes.
    McQuarrie has proven himself with 'Jack Reacher.' And he did write on of my favorite movies - 'The Usual Suspects.' With Mendes it's more hit-and-miss, IMO. 'American Beauty' was great, SF was so-so and Jarhead plain awful.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Barbara Broccoli disagrees with you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. ;))

If I had my way, Dan would never leave.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This looks TOO good.

However, I don't see the franchise continuing (or even if it does, succeeding) if Renner takes over for Cruise. He doesn't have the same leading power.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This looks TOO good.

However, I don't see the franchise continuing (or even if it does, succeeding) if Renner takes over for Cruise. He doesn't have the same leading power.

I just want the movies to end in a nice place before they grow stale, with Ethan Hunt getting a nice send-off. I'd love to see him and Julia end up together at the end of all this, because he can't live that life forever.

Still, I love seeing Ving back where he belongs. Seeing Luther and Ethan together again did my heart good.
    This looks TOO good.

I was just thinking today how good the actor from LOST they killed off in Ghost Protocol would make a great replacement for Cruise. Shane they killed him.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    This looks TOO good.

I was just thinking today how good the actor from LOST they killed off in Ghost Protocol would make a great replacement for Cruise. Shane they killed him.

I don't know how I'd feel about Renner taking over either. I mean, I feel like he's stuck in the middle with Bourne and MI, playing two spy characters for completely separate franchises. However, with the underwhelming response to Bourne Legacy, it might be a good thing that he has a job lined up with the MI films.

I want the MI films to end with Ethan. It makes no sense for them to go on without Ethan/Tom, because that's what people go to see. Ethan is the heart of the series and going on without him with other characters wouldn't cut it, quite honestly.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,916
    I don't know how I'd feel about Renner taking over either. I mean, I feel like he's stuck in the middle with Bourne and MI, playing two spy characters for completely separate franchises. However, with the underwhelming response to Bourne Legacy, it might be a good thing that he has a job lined up with the MI films.

I want the MI films to end with Ethan. It makes no sense for them to go on without Ethan/Tom, because that's what people go to see. Ethan is the heart of the series and going on without him with other characters wouldn't cut it, quite honestly.

I agree with this, When Cruise feels he has had enough, just leave the series be. At the current rate of one every 4/6/5 years, I think Cruise is good for one more after 'Rogue Nation', then leave it at 6 films.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's all I want, a proper send off. If this fifth film is entertaining enough and really is the 'final mission' and it wraps up nicely, then I'm fine with that. They gave us an entertaining series with some great set pieces and acting chemistry. I can't complain. Better that than milking the cow dry and ruining everything.

And yes, knowing that Luther is going to be a proper teammate in this one instead of a cameo makes me that much more excited.

@JWESTBROOK, Josh Holloway? Couldn't agree more. He was criminally underused and got barely any screen time. I was actually excited for him the most when 'LOST' ended because he was one of my favorite characters and I really had hoped he would become big, much like Naveen Andrews from the show.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,491
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    This looks TOO good.

Agreed, I was so excited when I saw him in GP, shame they killed him :(

edit: While we're at it, are there any LOST fans on the forum ? I am huge lostie :')
    @dragonsky, right here! I've been waiting for that proper spark in my life to get me to hop on Netflix and totally re-watch the entirety of 'LOST.' It would be so much fun. There's even this website that breaks down every episode and talks about what to focus on and tons of easter eggs and whatnot. I'd love to follow that web site as I sit through it again.

I agree with this, When Cruise feels he has had enough, just leave the series be. At the current rate of one every 4/6/5 years, I think Cruise is good for one more after 'Rogue Nation', then leave it at 6 films.

And so many people wanted Daniel Craig to leave after 4 films, paving the way for Idris Elba to become 007. Today! Even Gemma Erterton would love Idris Elba to become Bond. Ridiculous really ;-). What Tom Cruise shows us is this: He LOVES being Ethan Hunt. And the same goes for Daniel Craig: He LOVES being James Bond.

By the way, I was just checking the IMDB-forums. Sjee, there's quite a little war brewing between M:I-fans and Bond-fans. How funny :-P.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Full trailer is out!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Cruise has certainly upped the action quotient in the recent MI movies, and also the elegance quotient as well, taking it closer to Bond.

I have noticed a lot of subtle references to Bond films of the past in the MI series.

In this installment, as has been mentioned, the plane thing reminds me of John Glen's Bond films in particular, and the tuxedo fight reminds me of CR's stairwell encounter. The jump of faith reminds me of GE's opening jump, and the BMW spin reminds me of QoS, as @Gustav has already pointed out.

This movie is going to do massive box office in China - I'm quite certain of it, and that's where it may best SP. Overall I see SP winning the box office war, but it will be close this time I'm sure. Can't wait for Saturday, and the debates that will inevitably start when we see the first clips from SP.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cruise has certainly upped the action quotient in the recent MI movies, and also the elegance quotient as well, taking it closer to Bond.

I have noticed a lot of subtle references to Bond films of the past in the MI series.

In this installment, as has been mentioned, the plane thing reminds me of John Glen's Bond films in particular, and the tuxedo fight reminds me of CR's stairwell encounter. The jump of faith reminds me of GE's opening jump, and the BMW spin reminds me of QoS, as @Gustav has already pointed out.

This movie is going to do massive box office in China - I'm quite certain of it, and that's where it may best SP. Overall I see SP winning the box office war, but it will be close this time I'm sure. Can't wait for Saturday, and the debates that will inevitably start when we see the first clips from SP.

Let the trailer for "SPECTRE" arrive now!!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Okay guys, I'm thinking of buying the entire Blu-Ray steelbook collection of the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise. What do you think? For how much should I bid?
    $_57.JPG

Although I like these versions more:
    $_57.JPG
    $_12.JPG

Or what about this rare BluRay-box-set with all four films:
    $_12.JPG
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, I can't comment on the steelbooks but I know the picture quality on the first two movies (and particularly MI) is not all that great (according to reviews), since they predate Blu ray and the movies were not remastered.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mission-Impossible-Blu-ray/405/

I'm hoping Paramount finally remasters those or even gives them the 4K treatment and then releases a box set. It's a shame because MI is a fantastic movie with great location work (the difference when they remaster is quite telling - I used to have the Terminator blu ray and when I got the remastered version after it was released a few years back, the difference is like night and day).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    With Mi4 you should go for 3 disc LE for € 10,99 + 1,99 send money at http://www.bol.com/nl/p/mission-impossible-4-ghost-protocol/1002004011897060/st-protocol/1002004011897060/