Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I am easily pleased I guess I like the posters looking foward to the trailers
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Um-hum. So the posters show several middle-aged men looking tough (or at least that's the general idea) and one woman who looks like she's in her 20s presenting her ass. 8-| Nope, I'm not impressed.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    The trailer is on:

Great trailer :). Slightly darker in tone, a little bit less cheesy. I do have a feeling though that "SPECTRE" in the end will be a better action/adventure film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Looks epic. Love it. I have a strange feeling we've seen all the money shots in this trailer though....kind of wish it focused less on all the action so as not to give it all away. Hopefully there are some surprises left.

It certainly feels like a classic MI movie with all the trimmings.

I like the posters too. They're not great, but they get the job done.
    Great trailer :). Slightly darker in tone, a little bit less cheesy. I do have a feeling though that "SPECTRE" in the end will be a better action/adventure film.

The possibility of that NOT being the case had never even occurred to me. :)

The trailer... um... well... good old Led Zep was by far the coolest thing in it. :P
    I can't say I'm really looking forward to this, doesn't look particularly interesting to me, but it seems there's nothing else new and even remotely interesting coming out before late August, so... I don't know, not sure yet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looks very good and entertaining. I'm definitely watching this. However, I'm a bit concerned that the team seem to be almost relaxed and enjoying themselves when you consider tge threat against them.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    I am sold, good trailer! Love IMF. A Whole Lotta Love :-bd
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Maybe in terms of box office, otherwise... no. M:I is more about popcorn entertainment, no overwrought melodrama in sight.
    the trailer looks awesome
    Yeah, whole lotta love here too :D !
    aaron819 wrote: »
    The trailer is on:

Count me in!!!!!! \m/

That would surprise me as MI4 was better than QoB or SF when it comes to action and adventure and coherent story. ;)

Maybe in terms of box office, otherwise... no. M:I is more about popcorn entertainment, no overwrought melodrama in sight.

I wasn't talking about "popcorn entertainment". I was talking about "SPECTRE" being the better action/adventure film. By the way, why so cynical :-).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,916

I wasn't talking about "popcorn entertainment". I was talking about "SPECTRE" being the better action/adventure film. By the way, why so cynical :-).

Perhaps I shouldn't have said popcorn entertainment, but I mean as a pure action adventure film complete with standout sequences. I still think M:I will be superior on that front. Bond has become so weighed down with drama. Though I have no doubt that Bond will earn more $$$'s.

As for my cynicism, I don't like the ongoing era. Craig's performances, the way the character is written and the excess of drama isn't my idea of Bond. That is why I wont be seeing another Bond in the cinema until Craig's replacement. What's the point, when I know that they are far removed from what my idea of Bond is.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That is why I wont be seeing another Bond in the cinema until Craig's replacement. What's the point, when I know that they are far removed from what my idea of Bond is.

This is tragic @MajorDSmythe. I can understand the discomfort with the melodrama (and possible childhood links to come in SP) but surely you could reconsider, and ignore the occasional emotions on display these days.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not a fan of the Cruise MI films so far, but this looks good!
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 669
    That trailer is essentially the same thing as the original teaser, just an extra 10-15 seconds added for each section. Looking forward to this movie, although it does seem like we've already seen all the action "money shots" already.

Oh, and on a side note, do we really need IMF going rogue yet again?? Ethan has now gone rogue in M:I #1, #3, #4, and #5. Can't we just have the team go on a regular mission without all this "We're now operating alone and are being hunted by the CIA" crap?
    That trailer is essentially the same thing as the original teaser, just an extra 10-15 seconds added for each section. Looking forward to this movie, although it does seem like we've already seen all the action "money shots" already.

I thought that about Mad Max: Fury Road, and I wan not only surprised, I was blown very very very far away. Either way, I still want to see how it all plays out. Good trailer.

Oh, and on a side note, do we really need IMF going rogue yet again?? Ethan has now gone rogue in M:I #1, #3, #4, and #5. Can't we just have the team go on a regular mission without all this "We're now operating alone and are being hunted by the CIA" crap?
    Wasn´t the rogue referring to the anti-IMF? Or didn´t I pay attention to details? Anyhow, we will, once Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne have been forgotten, and once all those Marvel internal quarrels are over, then naturally Bond will take another path too, and so will the IMF ;-).

@boldfinger: The "Rogue Nation" of the title does indeed refer to the "anti-IMF" group. I was just referring to the plot in general, where the IMF is on the run (again) and being hunted (again). I can only hope it's all a big twist and the Alec Baldwin character is really working with IMF and it's all a ruse...or something.
    The International Monetary Fund is on the run? One can wish...
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    1. The weakest. Not a fan of depalma at all. Rips too much from Hitchcock.
    2. Not a fan of the hair on cruise. Love the action, especially at the end.
    3. Not a fan of Abrams. The shaky cam and lens flare are idiotic. Love bits and pieces of it.
    4. Perfect film.

On another note, if there are no space stations with laser weapons in a bond film, they'll never be happy
    @boldfinger: The "Rogue Nation" of the title does indeed refer to the "anti-IMF" group. I was just referring to the plot in general, where the IMF is on the run (again) and being hunted (again). I can only hope it's all a big twist and the Alec Baldwin character is really working with IMF and it's all a ruse...or something.
    @PDJamesBond, you´re right that the term rogue seems to fit to both IMF and the other group in this film. And while I enjoyed most of the recent spy agent films, I find it stupid too that with the big success of 24 there doesn´t seem to be one single functioning organisation with its members working together instead of against one another.
    Give my subconscious some positive inspiration, for heaven´s sake.

That is why I wont be seeing another Bond in the cinema until Craig's replacement. What's the point, when I know that they are far removed from what my idea of Bond is.

Sjee man @MajorDSmythe . This is indeed tragic. And I find it quite an overreaction and exaggeration. I'm going to say something here right here right now:

The Bond franchise has the biggest fan community on Earth among action/adventure-franchises. More than "Mission: Impossible", "Batman" and "Fast & Furious". THAT fact alone results in many different types of fans. Fans who prefer popcorn-entertainment action/adventure (Pierce Brosnan? GF? Need I say more)? And fans who prefer the more serious realism and (melo)drama of espionage thrillers (Daniel Craig? FRWL? Need I say more). And make no mistake, there IS a difference between the genre of action-adventure on one hand and thriller-drama on the other hand. James Bond has always been a bit of both! During certain periods it's more popcorn-y, and at this very moment it's more drama-thriller esque.

I accept those variables as a Bond fan. And if one would be a bit more willing to accept that, then we all could be a bit more happier and positive-spirited as Bond fans. Off course it's your own choice if you're not going to the cinema to see "SPECTRE". But if you are ONLY into the popcorn-entertainment side of Bond films, then perhaps you're more happier with what Mission: Impossible has an offer for you.

What I love about the Bond franchise and its massive 53 year reign across the globe, is it's wide variety of types of films: From serious films to the more comedic-cheesy films.
    Also, let's be a bitttt more careful in judging films entirely based on trailers! For God sake, be a bit more patient. Both "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" and "SPECTRE" aren't in cinemas yet!
    Leave the Major alone. I felt the same way after DAD.
    I see what you are saying, @Gustav_Graves, but the Craig era has included more drama than previous Bonds. I am all for a little drama in Bond, I just happen to feel that they have brought in more drama than what is needed.

EDIT
    I did write something, but due to not following the production of S.P.E.CT.R.E, I wasn't sure if it were widely known. So I removed it.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 5,767

Sjee man @MajorDSmythe . This is indeed tragic. And I find it quite an overreaction and exaggeration. I'm going to say something here right here right now:

The Bond franchise has the biggest fan community on Earth among action/adventure-franchises. More than "Mission: Impossible", "Batman" and "Fast & Furious". THAT fact alone results in many different types of fans. Fans who prefer popcorn-entertainment action/adventure (Pierce Brosnan? GF? Need I say more)? And fans who prefer the more serious realism and (melo)drama of espionage thrillers (Daniel Craig? FRWL? Need I say more). And make no mistake, there IS a difference between the genre of action-adventure on one hand and thriller-drama on the other hand. James Bond has always been a bit of both! During certain periods it's more popcorn-y, and at this very moment it's more drama-thriller esque.

I accept those variables as a Bond fan. And if one would be a bit more willing to accept that, then we all could be a bit more happier and positive-spirited as Bond fans. Off course it's your own choice if you're not going to the cinema to see "SPECTRE". But if you are ONLY into the popcorn-entertainment side of Bond films, then perhaps you're more happier with what Mission: Impossible has an offer for you.

What I love about the Bond franchise and its massive 53 year reign across the globe, is it's wide variety of types of films: From serious films to the more comedic-cheesy films.
    Also, let's be a bitttt more careful in judging films entirely based on trailers! For God sake, be a bit more patient. Both "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" and "SPECTRE" aren't in cinemas yet!
    I find it quite an overreaction and exaggeration.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 11,189
    A Bond film being bad or disappointing won't deter me from seeing the next one in the cinema.

MI on the other hand I'm not fussed about. I enjoyed the first three in the cinema but waited until the DVD for GP. May very well do the same for this one too.

Incidentally, watching the train sequence from the first MI again the other day made me wonder how online fans would react in this day and age. It's fantastic up until it enters the tunnel, then it just gets silly. The CG looks a bit dodgy now and how would there be room in the tunnel for two trains AND a helicopter?

To have one disappointing Bond film, from a Bond actor that I like, is one thing. But 3 disappointing Bond films, from a Bond actor whom doesn't appeal to me is something else.

The only M:I film that I have seen on the big screen was M:I2, which as it turns out, is my least favourite in the series.