Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    2. 4/10 - A near total disaster.
    It is my estimation that folks that didn't like TND will rate MI:2 the lowest of that franchise as well... am I correct?
    :-?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    1) 7.5/10 - A bit dated and slow at times but I still look back at it fondly.
    2) 5/10 - Too much John Woo but fun nonetheless.
    3) 7/10 - Pretty good. Not much to say.
    4) 8.5/10 - Extremely fun. Great action and locations. I hope the next will follow suit.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,402
    For me the MI franchise has been consistently mediocre. They have yet to produce a definitive or really memorable film, however, they are a lot of fun and entertaining if unremarkable. The great strength of the franchise is how different all the film feel despite being part of the same series.

Mission: Impossible:

e4m1_cruise_impossible.jpg

Surprising bland. The story is pretty incoherent and the action rather unspectacular. The real highlight comes early on during the Prague sequences where Hunt's team slowly gets picked off as he watches on. The CIA break-in scenes are a little contrived but are still brilliantly suspenseful. 3/5

Mission: Impossible II:

Oakley-Romeo-Tom-Cruise-2-big.jpg

Nowhere near as bad as it's pegged. A lot of fun comes in the John Woo-iness of the film. It blatantly conforms to action film cliches and almost feels like a pastiche of the genre. But it's still a pretty nutty ride and enjoyable in a risible kinda way. It's a film you laugh at opposed to along with - but it has a certain charm. 3/5

Mission: Impossible III:

mission-impossible-3.jpg

Probably the best one. It's very intense and the action is often brutal and hard, if a little too frequent. The love story is very tacked on and the plot severely undercooked but the film works because of Cruise. He's an intense and frantic presence throughout the film and often seems manic and frightened. And it has Philip Seymour Hoffman and rememeber that scene on the plane? Damn. 3/5

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol:

Tom-Cruise-in-Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-01-575x365.jpg

It's a fun ride. It's a cheeky and well-made film, also it plays out of the lot to it's ensemble. Like the previous films the plot is a little woeful and threadbare but the set-pieces and locations are terrific and it's genuinely funny. It also seems to have the most auteurial stamp on it as Brad Bird brings his playful energy to the piece. 3/5

I'm a Tom Cruise fan so I'm excited for MI5, i just hope they make a film which is more of a character piece. In the MI films I never get the sense I'm watching 'Ethan Hunt, Secret Agent' instead of 'Tom Cruise, Stunt-Man/Actor'. I want them to make Hunt a compelling character and tell us more about him and open him up a bit (akin to what Bond did in CR). Cruise definitely has the chops for it and since he's ditched making prestige fare (two of my favourite films are 'Eyes Wide Shut' and 'Magnolia') and instead focussed all his attention onto mainstream efforts, I hope he puts in a great performance opposed to just dangle out of buildings.
    I'm a Tom Cruise fan
    3 of 5???
    :-??
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tom Cruise films I love and can watch over and over: all 4 Mission Impossible, Top Gun, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Minority Report, Last Samurai, Collateral, Valkyrie, Knight and Day, Jack Reacher, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow.
    1) 8/10 - Great intro.
    2) 4/10 - Doves. Slow-motion. John Woo.
    3) 9/10 - Best one yet. Great setpieces, great villain.
    4) 8/10 - Best action movie of 2011
    Minority Report
    Now that's one I have a problem with- the happy ending would work if it didn't seem so jarringly & obviously tacked on... I like War Of The Worlds better for that reason.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
    2. Mission: Impossible (1996)
    3. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    4. Mission: Impossible II (2000)

I have enjoyed all four. Even MI2 has it's moments (skip to 1:45) ...

Mission:Impossible II is my most-watched one. It's such a satisfying good time, much like TND.
    MI:3 does not have great rewatch value.
    Come to think about it all of the movies (bar GP) are dated :(

But based on my first viewings of the movies my ratings were acutally in reverse order:

1-Ghost Protocol
    2- MI:3
    3. MI:2
    4. MI 1
    1. M:I:III
    2. M:I GHOST PROTOCOL
    3. M:I
    4. M:I-2
  • Guys? It seems the trailer will be out on March 6th: http://projectionlist.com/#/site/trailers

It will be attached to the new sci-fi film "Chappie".
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Guys? It seems the trailer will be out on March 6th: http://projectionlist.com/#/site/trailers

Well we know it won't give away the ending. ;)

dragonsky wrote: »
    1-Ghost Protocol

It's excellent- just rewatching it now.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=115527

No worries now...

There are three trailers I can't wait for this BVS and of course Spectre
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    talos7 wrote: »
    Guys? It seems the trailer will be out on March 6th: http://projectionlist.com/#/site/trailers

Well we know it won't give away the ending. ;)

If not ending...

1358251_30312skyfall1.jpg

then the beginning

• I love these movies and can’t wait for the fifth one (although I’m not as excited for it as I am for SPECTRE, but I think that’s a given around here). I do find it a bit strange, however, that we’re under five months from the release date and we don’t have a title, a poster, any official stills, an official website, or a teaser trailer.
    It's hare to believe that Tom is roughly the same age that Rog was when he made FYEO.
    On the set of Legend he struck a deal with Darkness....
  • talos7 wrote: »

That's because, with all due respect, Roger Moore never worked out as much as Tom Cruise (and Daniel Craig) is doing. Over the course of three decades, being "fit" for action movies is an absolute must. Producers want it, casting directors want it. Perhaps the only exception I can think of is Colin Firth in "Kingsman".

That's because, with all due respect, Roger Moore never worked out as much as Tom Cruise (and Daniel Craig) is doing. Over the course of three decades, being "fit" for action movies is an absolute must. Producers want it, casting directors want it. Perhaps the only exception I can think of is Colin Firth in "Kingsman".

Even Colin Firth trained for six months before he started the movie so you are somewhat off the mark when it comes to him preparing for this action movie.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Firth is 54. Looks pretty good for his age imho.
    Will Ethan Hunt be hanging outside bloody tall buildings at 60?
    My guess is yes. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »

Maybe he'll be jumping from Space Shuttle to Space Shuttle in Mission: Impossible 7 Hunt for the Moon!
    Murdock wrote: »

Maybe he'll be jumping from Space Shuttle to Space Shuttle in Mission: Impossible 7 Hunt for the Moon!
    You have me already salivating for it, Wes!!! =D>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

You have me already salivating for it, Wes!!! =D>

It doesn't sound so bad to me either considering Mission: Impossible went to space in 1989. ;)
  • talos7 wrote: »

Colin Firth trained for ages in martial arts (even on the set of other films) to be ready for Kingsman and did a lot of his own stunts. So no he's not an exception. He worked just as hard as Daniel Craig and Tom Cruise and, if you watch Kingsman, you'll see it paid off spectacuarly; whatever you think of the film itself (I thought it was very good but not as great as I was expecting), you can't deny that the fight scenes in that film were amazing.
    Very cool. This is gonna be good.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Oh boy. Can't wait! :-bd