The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sort of a shot in the dark, but did anyone here see Daniel and Rachel in "Betrayal" on Broadway?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Sort of a shot in the dark, but did anyone here see Daniel and Rachel in "Betrayal" on Broadway?

I did and he was absolutely brilliant. Amazing stage presence. He dominated the stage. Rachel was ok but he was excellent.
    Saw Rachel in an Almeida production in London a decade ago. She was okay then as well.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there a filmed version of Betrayal? I would have liked to have seen it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554

Yes. He was terrific.
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    Is there a filmed version of Betrayal? I would have liked to have seen it.

Not with DC. There is a 1983 film version starring Jeremy Irons and Ben Kingsley.

The version that DC and RW did was interesting, because it played as more of a comedy. Before, the play and film were always quite serious, and depressing.

I think, from following the process, Cowboys had the best ever PR. Favreau did a great job with that. It was trending for two days after release day. Obviously not on the favourable side. People were ready to love it. But ven I say, it was utter crap, made no sense at all and with all that high level talent involved, I have no idea, how they cohld have accepted this stupid script. This and Tattoo should and could have been huge successes. They ended a flop and so so. But as far as I see it, not his fault. Not his fault as an actor nor a sign, people wont accept him outside of Bond.
    After SF he took the back seat, as is often the case with him. Maybe, if we wanna find a reason, we dont know, wha path he will collow after Bond, this is it. His unwillingness to promote himself other then, when he absolutely has to and his love for being more or less invisible. Time will tell. It can go all ways.
    I think, from following the process, Cowboys had the best ever PR. Favreau did a great job with that. It was trending for two days after release day. Obviously not on the favourable side. People were ready to love it. But even I say, it was utter crap, made no sense at all and with all that high level talent involved, I have no idea, how they could have accepted this stupid script. This and Tattoo should and could have been huge successes. They ended a flop and so so. But as far as I see it, not his fault. Not his fault as an actor nor a sign, people wont accept him outside of Bond.
    After SF he took the back seat, as is often the case with him. Maybe, if we wanna find a reason, we dont know, wha path he will follow after Bond, this is it. His unwillingness to promote himself other then, when he absolutely has to and his love for being more or less invisible. Time will tell. It can go all ways.
    Good point. He is somewhat under the radar and likes to be there - really not much of a Hollywood type - a bit like Harrison Ford that way.

He did Betrayal on Broadway after SF, and as I said, I saw it and really enjoyed it.

He may go the theatrical route after Bond. I don't think money really motivates him much.

I am really upset about the Dragon Tattoo sequels though. Totally annoyed.
    I think he has come to enjoy the whole Bond thing a lot more than when he first started. He has grown to like it.
    Yes, he left Monuments Men with Clooney for it. This film, had it been a success, could have brought him the sort of team player status, that could be valuable in the future. But IMO, as he always says, he really has no career plan and just does, what pleases him. Never mind, what it does to his career. But on the bright side, he has made enough connections and is well liked by the people, who actually DO the films, that he will have no shortage of offers. And he has no problem with not being the lead. It just needs to be an interesting role. Let the others promote it lol.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Well, he'll never have to worry for money. I think he and Rachel will be very happy. They seem like two talented, decent people, enjoying their good fortune and amazing opportunities. Good luck to them.
    I could definitely see him going the theatre route post Bond.
    Non-Bond films since CR*:

1. Golden Compass (small role in an "eh" film)
    2. Flashbacks of a Fool (indie film done as a favor to a friend...not great; watch it for the final ten minutes: best use of a Roxy Music song ever.)
    3. Defiance (really good niche film, for which Craig earned high praise)
    4. Cowboys and Aliens (Great concept, poor execution. Given the director and cast, it should have been great.)
    5. Dream House (Good first act...terrible thereafter. Interesting exercise to see the chemistry between DC and RW.)
    6. TGWTDT (Craig's best non-Bond film, by far. I wouldn't characterize it as a failure by any means.)
    7. Adventures of Tintin (Animated film...quite good, actually.)

*The Invasion doesn't count; it was actually filmed prior to CR.
    I actually enjoyed Dream House :P
    TripAces wrote: »

2. Flashbacks of a Fool (indie film done as a favor to a friend...not great; watch it for the final ten minutes: best use of a Roxy Music song ever.)
    4. Cowboys and Aliens (Great concept, poor execution. Given the director and cast, it should have been great.)
    5. Dream House (Good first act...terrible thereafter. Interesting exercise to see the chemistry between DC and RW.)
    6. TGWTDT (Craig's best non-Bond film, by far. I wouldn't characterize it as a failure by any means.)

I'd say Layer Cake is better than TGWTDT. Munich as well, although he only has a small part in that.
    Getafix wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

I'd say Layer Cake is better than TGWTDT. Munich as well, although he only has a small part in that.

I should have been clearer. I meant that TGWTDT is his best non-Bond since becoming Bond. If looking at DC's entire filmography, I'd agree: Layer Cake is up there. Right about that time, he also did a rarely seen but terrific film called Enduring Love.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I agree with GL that nobody really carries big films by themselves - small films, possibly, yes (the financial investment and expectations aren't huge). I also agree with her that Daniel hasn't been lucky with certain movies. Something that has potential may not turn into a great film and it's not an actor's fault. An actor can, of course, contribute to a movie being good or bad, as do many other people, but no actor can save a movie on their own, they don't make the decisions about what gets shot and how and what takes are used and how it's all edited etc. Or a movie may be good, but doesn't succeed financially for various reasons (bad timing, bad marketing, etc.), and that's not an actor's fault, either.

Anyway, personally I was not thinking of big movies, huge budgets, and all that. Why should he aspire to that, he doesn't need the money, surely, and he's not into fame thing. I was thinking smaller budgets, interesting filmmakers, interesting scripts, interesting roles. He has been very successful both in critical and financial terms as Bond, he's much admired in the role and the movies have done well. That's all wonderful. But big does not equal good (critically - not meaning just professional critics but regular audience, too) or successful (financially), big is just big. Successful can be small, too - and indeed small is successful more often than big. There are far more good films/interesting roles in smaller movies than in big blockbusters. And in money terms, if a movie costs 5 million to make and box office is 55 million (Dallas Buyers Club) then it's a success financially, but if the budget is 90 million, then even 230 million at box office (TGWTDT) is apparently considered a flop. Even when a movie isn't a financial success, it can still be a good movie, obviously, and those are never a bad thing - the actor can be happy with them, so that's rewarding for them. Directors, writers, other actors might notice, which may result in more respect and more work offers - never a bad thing to have a bunch of offers to choose from, and have lots of people wanting to work with you. And even movies that may not do well at box office may increase respect among fans and bring more fans if people like what they see (and people also see stuff at home...).

To clarify, I'll make a comparison to hopefully better illustrate my points. Like some of you know, I've been on a Christian Bale movie extravaganza the past couple of months (35 of his movies so far... and quite a bit of other stuff, too)... I've done a similar thing with Daniel before... and I couldn't help but compare. Like Daniel, Christian is an Englishman (please nobody tell me he's Welsh - he isn't ;) ) who is living in the US, married, has children (for Craig: I'm counting Rachel's son - Daniel's daughter is obviously not a kid anymore), is roughly the same age (Christian is 6 years younger), is also not into self-promotion and fame and Hollywood glitz and all that, and as a 30-something was cast in a role of a very well-known character in a big budget movie, and was successful in that and those movies made tons of money. And those 3 franchise movies for each came out in 2005/2006, in 2008, and in 2012. All that considered... it makes some sense to compare, I think.

I assume that Bond would have the same effect as Batman as far as other roles go - not for directors or writers so much, but the financiers... the same people who had previously said, nope, you can't cast him in the movie, would now show the green light. That would mean more possibilities, more to choose from, more good stuff. More vibrant career, more respect, more critical success. But for Craig that hasn't really worked out like that, for whatever reasons. Maybe he gets them, but just keeps saying no?

Personally, post CR, I kinda like Flasbacks Of A Fool, like TGWTDT a lot, and love Defiance, but that's about it... (One Life is wonderful and Tintin is good, but they both have "only" his voice.) Whereas Bale has done lots of very varied work, both leads and supporting, small, middle-sized, and big movies, with very different kinds of (mostly accomplished) directors, won an Oscar (etc.) and been nominated for another (the awards both matter and don't). I don't love all of his movies during that time, either, but more often than not they have been good, and many times wonderful.
    Since Batman Begins (2005) Bale has done 14 non-Batman movies, and since CR (2006) Craig has done 6 non-Bond movies (not counting the voice-only stuff: 2 animated movies and 1 nature documentary film). Since TDKR (2012) Bale has done 4 movies (he recently took some time off - I presume because of the new baby) and since SF (also 2012) Craig has done 0. I'm mentioning the numbers because the difference is so big. Theatre stuff is cool, too, but only that? As a fan I'm just greedy and I want to see my favorite actors. Of course, if one is not doing many things, then you probably don't get as many offers, either, nor do you develop relationships with directors who'll want to work with you again in other movies.

I realize I have just been spoilt rotten by Bale, and basically I'm whining because I like Craig a lot and wish he'd do more movies and different kinds of movies and roles, I feel his talents get somewhat wasted if he doesn't, and establishing oneself as capable of doing varied stuff must be more difficult the longer one spends without doing it. He is by far my favorite Bond, but I'd like to see him as more than that, and hope he'd be seen by others as more than that. By which I mean not as a Bond actor, but rather as an actor whose roles include Bond.

I don't quite get why people are concentrating on big movies so much, I don't think he needs to do that at all apart from Bond. He can do smaller stuff. Maybe he will after SPECTRE, we'll see.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    ... as he always says, he really has no career plan and just does, what pleases him. Never mind, what it does to his career. But on the bright side, he has made enough connections and is well liked by the people, who actually DO the films, that he will have no shortage of offers. And he has no problem with not being the lead. It just needs to be an interesting role. Let the others promote it lol.

Apart from that last sentence that sounds so... familiar. :)

But... you think Daniel would actually refuse to promote his films? Hmm. Does anyone? It would seem pretty counterproductive, since surely if one makes them, one would like people to see them. And surely the financiers would like the actors to promote the product.

No, of course, he promotes the hell out of his films, just not himself, of which there are many ways for actors to do that and many play the game. But if there are others in a team, who would travel to promote a film, he wouldnt complain. ;)
    Oh, ok. I know he does, but you said "let the others promote it", which I interpreted as a possiblity of not doing it himself... which I'm sure wouldn't even be possible with something like Bond, but might be possible with some other stuff - smaller stuff or something where he isn't the main star, and I thought he might have said something about that you'd be able to enlighten me about. :)
    No, no. Just my interpretation. He will always be the true professional and do, what is needed. But he is doing it because he has to and to the best of his abilities, but he will not use it as a platform to promote himself. I believe, its still like going to the dentist.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    No, no. Just my interpretation. He will always be the true professional and do, what is needed. But he is doing it because he has to and to the best of his abilities, but he will not use it as a platform to promote himself. I believe, its still like going to the dentist.

Very well put. I agree. That's my impression of DC as well. An actor's actor. All about the work. Does not like the showbiz stuff one bit but he will do what's necessary as a professional. Sadly, in today's world, it's more about the 'show' than the work, in many things.
    Yes, I believe, its a lot about doing the right bonheurs to the right people, at the right time, at the right place. He would totally f""" up promoting an Oscar nod. I think, it does influence his career, but he is, who he is and not willing to change that. Still, during tbe time between Bonds, when he didnt do a film, he seemed happier then I ever saw him.
    That has been my impression too. I like that about him and others. I know I'd be like that myself. The dentist bit is a shame and can be painful to witness, too, but also perfectly understandable.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I can see Craig dropping comfortably into 'older' , supporting roles once Bond is out of the way. He likes to mix it up.

I agree it's a shame he hasn't done more in his capacity as a leading man, but that's the way it goes.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Definately, his strength is that he is actually very talented and diverse, so he can do what he wants.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote: »
    I can see Craig dropping comfortably into 'older' , supporting roles once Bond is out of the way. He likes to mix it up.

Given that this film feels like it could trigger a decent trilogy of films, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Dan do two more after this, in fact I wouldn't mind him rounding out at 7. If they can temper the thrust of the films so it remains grounded enough and push the character along in a clever way, I'd happily take a final Bond film from Dan when he's in his mid-50's, playing Bond on his last legs. Who knows when we'll get an actor of this calibre again, with a narrative thrust that could take us from rookie pre-00 to a Bond that ultimately leaves the service. They should take the chance while they can imo. Providing SP capitalises on the best bits of the first three.
    I would love him to stay on. IMHO, he will bring a continuity, weight and gravitas to future Bond movies that simply will be lost if they bring in a new actor. No matter how good they are, they will lose the momentum that they have at the moment and its just a fact that the audience will take time to accept the new Bond. If they can build good scripts (with good directors) around a more mature Bond then that would be great.
    Yes, I believe, its a lot about doing the right bonheurs to the right people, at the right time, at the right place. He would totally f""" up promoting an Oscar nod. I think, it does influence his career, but he is, who he is and not willing to change that. Still, during tbe time between Bonds, when he didnt do a film, he seemed happier then I ever saw him.

I think he's trying to make sure their is a real marriage and doesn't go the way of most other showbiz relationships.
    Thats for sure. Its the little signs like putting on the weddingring, once he is off set etc.
    He has lived through divoring parents, both more then once and doesnt want to go that path.
    Getafix wrote: »

I think he's trying to make sure their is a real marriage and doesn't go the way of most other showbiz relationships.

Of course, but having a real marriage and doing movies isn't mutually exclusive.

@Germanlady, for goodnessakes of course he shouldn't try to change who he is, that would be a horrible idea, and who the heck would want that, he seems like a decent chap as he is. As for Oscars and whatnot, doing the promotion stuff isn't, apparently, absolutely necessary. My advice would be to escape... like... go make a movie in China, or some other place far enough... nobody would try to drag him from there to some award promotion crap, and he would have a perfectly good excuse to not be able to do any self-promotion, then come back totally clueless what's been happening on the Hollywood side of the world, pick up the awards, say thanks, and go home - or go and continue with the job as the case might be. Voilá!
    Well, it has worked before... ;)

But obviously if making movies isn't enjoyable for him, no point making them since he doesn't have to. I'm glad to hear he seems happy.