The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Tom Ford suits are on the money.....I hope they stick with them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Must fly before Irma Blunt terns up with some more of her vitriol.
    Excuse me Earnst, it's "turns" not terns. Terns are birds. :D
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 260
    Villiers53 wrote: »

And is DC wearing a 3 button in that photo below? The lapel V seem a bit high for a traditional 2 button.

tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no1_540.jpg

Good catch, I think is probably the 3 roll 2 style (were the top button is covered by the roll of the lapel. This can be a good choice.
    This combination has the advantage of giving a higher fit than a regular two button (when the middle button is fastened) whilst not going the full way to a traditional three button with the lapel flattened above the top.
    The traditional 3 button is sometimes recommended for tall men. Personally, I think it looks ugly on everybody.
    Early days but it looks like 'M' is ahead in the style stakes!
    Must go - Irma Blunt dials in.

It's probably this overcoat.

spectre-riprese-roma-james-bond-daniel-craig-sam-mendes-1.jpg
    I don't think so, he's wearing a suit under the overcoat

daniel-craig-bond-15dec14-22.jpg?w=457
    He certainly just isn't in his undies.
    I meant a suit jacket...
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Never seen bond in M's office without putting his coat on the stand. Would be very suprised if there is no scence fliting with Money penny before he goes in to the office. Pretty sure that the suit jacket from the suit he is wearing under the coat. We know already the boat ride is to the new entrance to MI6 which is like a cavern in the rock, so Bond is likely on his way to MI6 when on the boat with Tanner.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 163
    2 overcoats, 2 pairs of sunglasses, 2 different type of suits. Seems like Bond won't be sticking to one style in this one.
    Also, I have a feeling the tux will look something like this:
    140716_Harrolds_SS15_15_1425_CV_Clean_1.jpg

Here's David Beckham wearing the same Tom Ford cut as above, but in the midnight blue (Skyfall) color scheme at this year's BAFTA's.
    David-Beckham-Tom-Ford-suit-4.jpg

• Never seen bond in M's office without putting his coat on the stand. Would be very surprised if there is no scene flirting with Money penny before he goes in to the office. Pretty sure that the suit jacket from the suit he is wearing under the coat. We know already the boat ride is to the new entrance to MI6 which is like a cavern in the rock, so Bond is likely on his way to MI6 when on the boat with Tanner.

I think SirHilaryBray is probably correct and it's great to see some London scenes - I do hope a decent part of the movie is set in the UK. Apart from the fact it's my home town, in a certain way it brings him closer to Fleming's Bond. Furthermore the new Mi6 HQ with its river setting is so photogenic albeit I do long for the original Regent's Park 'Import & Export' days.
    The overcoat and scarf both look good and are a huge improvement on Rome albeit I'm not a great fan of shades in the city unless it's an extremely sunny day or you are relaxing at the weekend. With formal attire and on a normal work day they simply look affected. Not a look 007 should promote.
  • 2 overcoats, 2 pairs of sunglasses, 2 different type of suits. Seems like Bond won't be sticking to one style in this one.

You may well be correct.
    The London and Rome attire seem to be markedly different and if so, it would IVNSHO, be a big mistake. If ever a man had his own personal style and stuck to it, it was Fleming's 007. If they turn Bond into a vehicle for indiscriminate product placement it will be a sartorial train wreck.
    As for the evening suit, I do hope they don't go in this direction. A traditional shawl collar is fine but this over elaborate mess is best kept for the pop awards and the media luvvies.
    Mind you, I did think that the dinner suit sported by Ralph Fiennes at the BAFTAS was absolutely fabulous — by far and away the best of the night. Evidently it was Timothy Everest bespoke. Smart guy this new 'M', clearly knows his Berlutis from Shinola.
    Never seen bond in M's office without putting his coat on the stand. Would be very suprised if there is no scence fliting with Money penny before he goes in to the office. Pretty sure that the suit jacket from the suit he is wearing under the coat. We know already the boat ride is to the new entrance to MI6 which is like a cavern in the rock, so Bond is likely on his way to MI6 when on the boat with Tanner.

I have never seen Bond in a velvet collared suit jacket before that I can recall. It's not the suit under the overcoat in the other shot, as that is a mid grey, but I supposed it could be another one.
    doghouse wrote: »

I have never seen Bond in a velvet collared suit jacket before that I can recall. It's not the suit under the overcoat in the other shot, as that is a mid grey, but I supposed it could be another one.

Doughouse, on looking back at the shots you are right the trousers under the jacket are mid gray. I doubt then he would change suits before making his way to M's office so I think its safe to say it is indeed his over coat. Well done! ;0)
  • doghouse wrote: »

Who knows, maybe he isn't even in his office, maybe he's at home — his apartment is supposed to feature in SP and that's something I'm really looking forward to. I hope they stick with a Chelsea mews and don't stick him in one of those new fangled high rise jobbies!
    From the dailymail video which gives you brief shots of M and Moneypenny you can see the lion ornament on the desk, this is M's office.
    Another idea would be that it's a later scene from Bond on the boat - We see M in more than one suit, it could mean that Bond visits M more than once, in different suits.
  • From the dailymail video which gives you brief shots of M and Moneypenny you can see the lion ornament on the desk, this is M's office.
    Quite right Sir Hilary. I stand corrected - I hadn't watched the video.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 260

Doughouse, on looking back at the shots you are right the trousers under the jacket are mid gray. I doubt then he would change suits before making his way to M's office so I think its safe to say it is indeed his over coat. Well done! ;0)
    I can't take credit. I have been chatting back and forth with Matt S as I like to hear his takes with all his encyclopedia of Bond knowledge, and he noticed the collar. My first impression was why would Bond be in a three button until I pulled the pictures up from the boat.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. I do think it is the overcoat.

Even though it makes absolutely no sense, unless Bond was pulled into M's office without being able to hang it up (how very uncivil of M!), careful review of the photo suggests, from the way it drapes over Craig's shoulders while he is sitting, that it is an overcoat.

A suit cut that way would look awful when he stood up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I also agree, that the shot of Bond sitting in M's office is him with his overcoat on because the jacket looks slightly puffed/slightly oversized at first glance and it does seem to be the same as the overcoat he's wearing on the boat.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Dont see two meetings with M in his office, I see an initial chat, objective, Q branch visit and Bond off in the field, M has his own enemy to contend with Denby. There will be two storylines Mallory V Denby and Bond V Spectre the question is will the two merge in to one? I suspect Denby is now in Mallorys old job as minister overseeing intelligence and he is giving Mallory the same hard time he gave Dame Judi's M? another question does Denby have a more sinister motive?. Was Denby alligned to Guy Haynes? Is this where Qauntum and White come back in to the equation?. Will be see Denby meet with White and Haynes?. Original QOS ending which was cut and never released apprently showed Bond in the dark follow Haynes car and enters his home and kills White and Haynes. Will this scene now be used? is Jesper really returning as Mr White or is it just they are using his end from QOS? This ended featured in the console game which was produced along with the movie, so supect it made to the game but cut from the film.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It is not possible that Craig was wearing the overcoat in M's office. First, it is obvious that he was wearing a suit in the boat scenes. Second, in the unlikely case that he was wearing the overcoat in the office (but why?), it wouldn't sit well on his shoulders and the collar would either bunch or pull behind the neck unless he took great care when sitting down. For an example take this photo from CR, the dinner jacket is fitting horribly! Of course Craig is in a strange position, but someone should have noticed.
    bunched-back.jpg
    I've been thinking about the suit Craig is seen wearing coming out of the Aston in Rome. I wouldn't be surprised if the coat was modified on purpose for it to look better on screen in the car and he was wearing a differently shaped one in the rest of the scenes. As an example, a man who spends the day behind a desk (such as a lawyer) should ideally have two coats for each suit, one for sitting and another with a regular cut for other circumstances. The cut and shaping will be different, the "sitting coat" will have a modified length in the back, width of shoulders and length (and cut) of the sleeves (even one sleeve will be slightly different from the other, depending on whether he is right- or left-handed). Those coats usually only look optimal when sitting, not standing nor walking. Badly tailored "sitting down" coats are very common in television, my father calls the almost universal bunching in the back the "news-anchor syndrome" (by the way, my father used to be a tailor, and a good one at that /:-) ).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Sandy wrote: »
    It is not possible that Craig was wearing the overcoat in M's office. First, it is obvious that he was wearing a suit in the boat scenes. Second, in the unlikely case that he was wearing the overcoat in the office (but why?), it wouldn't sit well on his shoulders and the collar would either bunch or pull behind the neck unless he took great care when sitting down. For an example take this photo from CR, the dinner jacket is fitting horribly! Of course Craig is in a strange position, but someone should have noticed.
    bunched-back.jpg
    I've been thinking about the suit Craig is seen wearing coming out of the Aston in Rome. I wouldn't be surprised if the coat was modified on purpose for it to look better on screen in the car and he was wearing a differently shaped one in the rest of the scenes. As an example, a man who spends the day behind a desk (such as a lawyer) should ideally have two coats for each suit, one for sitting and another with a regular cut for other circumstances. The cut and shaping will be different, the "sitting coat" will have a modified length in the back, width of shoulders and length (and cut) of the sleeves (even one sleeve will be slightly different from the other, depending on whether he is right- or left-handed). Those coats usually only look optimal when sitting, not standing nor walking. Badly tailored "sitting down" coats are very common in television, my father calls the almost universal bunching in the back the "news-anchor syndrome" (by the way, my father used to be a tailor, and a good one at that /:-) ).

You need to take a closer look. Bond is wearing his overcoat in M's office. It's not his suit jacket.

i57r75.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I thought it was just a suit jacket as well, but the sleeves especially really seem to indicate that it's an overcoat. Weird.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Might just be the colour on the shots, but the shirt on the boat with Tanner looks blue, while the one in Ms office is white

Correction - its white. Just checked additional shots on Google.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Villiers53,

Reading your posts a few scrolls back, I wonder why you find it necessary to turn against respected veteran members, unprovoked I might add, in such an unpleasant manner. If you have a quarrel with someone, either avoid further conflict or PM a mod. Also, we're adults here so it's best to let a one time conflict fizzle out without much fuss. Your not so subtle punches, a mere display of bitterness and frustration, have no place here.

We expect our members to avoid flaming up dying candle lights. Social pyromania should be beneath you, @Villiers53.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.
  • @Villiers53 - Honestly, this needs to be said. Just stop it, you are beginning to really sound like a bitter, annoying dictator at this point. We get that you know details about clothes (oh yes), we get your opinion (a million times), you are sometimes illuminating (true) but your attitude has gone downhill. You are frankly coming across more and more as mean, petty, repetitive, and therefore also a bit boring (I know, only the "boring" part probably bothers you). Let other people have their opinions, in their own way, let everybody say what they feel in their own words (never mind the grammar or spelling either; this thread is for everyone), and lay off what you obviously think is funny in referring to "Irma Blunt" when actually it just makes you look like a spoiled kindergartner. You ceased to be amusing to me a few pages ago.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thank you for taking this into consideration.[/b]

The expression 'You cannot be serious' comes to mind.
    Normal etiquette would require that the sequence of events be taken into consideration before launching any intervention. Let alone one so bizarre, ill mannered and uneven handed.
    Trolling is the scourge of the internet and rest assured free spirited bloggers will not allow the ill informed and self important to stifle free discussion.
    Social pyromania indeed!
    Now, I must go. I fear both fraulein Blunt and Blofeld are at the door and I can't remember where I put that flame thrower.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For heaven's sake, @Villiers53, you are out of control. Your thoughts on style and clothing are appreciated when kept to that and the vitriol/garbage you spew is not a part of it. But you have been recently and now with your last post truly beyond what is correct for this forum.

Stop the petty meanness, let alone the name calling and ranting. It is not okay, as you have been told by others including mods.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Villiers53,

Reading your posts a few scrolls back, I wonder why you find it necessary to turn against respected veteran members, unprovoked I might add, in such an unpleasant manner. If you have a quarrel with someone, either avoid further conflict or PM a mod. Also, we're adults here so it's best to let a one time conflict fizzle out without much fuss. Your not so subtle punches, a mere display of bitterness and frustration, have no place here.

We expect our members to avoid flaming up dying candle lights. Social pyromania should be beneath you, @Villiers53.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

This beggars belief.
    I'm no clothes expert but I've been following and enjoying this thread from the get go and @Villiers53 has been informative, amusing, well informed and good tempered throughout - despite multiple provocations.
    Frankly, he deserves a medal - not this abuse. I hope he finds his flame thrower!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Really? Name calling and bitchiness and total rudeness is okay with you, Bentley? I am surprised. Villiers' behavior is not okay.

I am no clothes expert either. The details and information given by Villiers and others are appreciated. The attitude he has even more recently shoved down our throats is not.
    Its one thing to ridicule me and others (and not only in this thread, as I have heard). Bad enough, BUT being respectless to a mod, whose job it is to keep the forum rules, is even less acceptable.