The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.
    I find DC to be a modern day Steve McQueen - and they both wear suits well

You mean beside the fact they aren't built remotely the same, right?
    In terms of acting style and looks, if you look at my post I put "and they both wear suits well."

Steve-McQueen-and-Daniel--011.jpg

By built the same he means below the neck .
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.

My point about McQueen was really to highlight the importance of bespoke.
    His big suit movie was 'The Thomas Crown Affair' where his clothes were tailored by the MountStreet legend, Dougie Haywood.
    The fit was absolutely immaculate and history has it that McQueen fell in love with the process. Many style aficionados consider the original TTCA to be the definitive clothes movie. Certainly, I love the look but of course, the styling was done with that character in mind and not Bond.
    Happily, all of this was done before product placement so you got what was right for the movie rather than what somebody is trying to sell. Persol never payed a dime to be in TTCA but their accidental involvement remains one of their biggest brand assets.
    That said, I think McQueen's greatest contribution to men's style was in his day to day life. He had an intrinsic sense of how to dress that evolved into an iconic look. He was definitely from the less is more school and never looked made up or contrived and IVNSHO his best clothes movie was actually 'Bullit'.
    Doubtless there are parallels between DC and SM but I think Steve had an élan and a way of moving that few mortals posses but even he benefited from bespoke.
    Villiers, we get it. The clothes are shit and we all agree. Mayby this puts this constant bitching to rest.
    Seriously, some people agree with you. How much more does your ego need? Steve can moce, DC cant. We get it. And else....
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Its really totally unfair to say, he lacks elegance and that is not only my fangirl speaking. Its obvious to the eye, its not true. Remember the scene from QOS after M told him, she still trusts him? When he walks on and jumps over the balustrade? This scene is a beauty just for watching him move.
    Sark wrote: »

In terms of acting style and looks, if you look at my post I put "and they both wear suits well."

I know, I addressed that in my answer by saying in terms of acting style and looks - yes, they have different body types, but they both wear suits very well.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Villiers, we get it. The clothes are shit and we all agree. Mayby this puts this constant bitching to rest.
    Seriously, some people agree with you. How much more does your ego need? Steve can moce, DC cant. We get it. And else....
    If I may say so @Germanlady, @Villiers53´s bitching is highly amusing, whereas yours is not. And with all due respect, his points are not entire unfounded.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Villiers53 is evidently a passionate connoisseur and I'm learning something about dressing like an Engish gentleman from him.

I think the SF designers could have learned a thing or two about styling finesse from him as well actually, based on the slightly snug & constricting efforts they produced in that film for our hero.

PS: I have not seen the original Thomas Crown Affair. Reading this discussion has made me want to purchase it and see what all the fuss is about.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Villiers53 is evidently a passionate connoisseur and I'm learning something about dressing like an Engish gentleman from him.

I think the SF designers could have learned a thing or two about styling finesse from him as well actually, based on the slightly snug & constricting efforts they produced in that film for our hero.

PS: I have not seen the original Thomas Crown Affair. Reading this discussion has made me want to purchase it and see what all the fuss is about.

Quite. I don't understand why he's receiving so much flack, when this is clearly a passion of his. I've lost count of the amount of blunt comments about Brosnan being a pussy, or a nancy-boy, by people who just want to bash the guy. At least Villiers is bringing some level of critique to the table.
    Sark wrote: »

I know, I addressed that in my answer by saying in terms of acting style and looks - yes, they have different body types, but they both wear suits very well.

The below the neck is the point. McQueen is long and lean, which lends itself to suits, and being more aesthetically pleasing in general, where Craig is short and stocky.

I like Craig as Bond, probably right next to Connery as my favorite, but he isn't even remotely as aesthetically appealing as Steve McQueen.
    McQueen is long and lean [...] where Craig is short and stocky.

Steve McQueen was 178 cm tall. Daniel Craig's height is 178 cm.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552

I was just about to post something similar - though I thought Daniel Craig was an inch taller than McQueen (not much I know, but still)

• RC7RC7
    I think the point that people are making is that McQueen is lithe, where DC is stocky. I don't think it's too difficult to grasp.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Oh and its totally unfair to say, he lacks elegance and that is not only my fangirl saying. Its obvious to the eye, its not true. Remember the scene from QOS after M told him, she still trusts him? When he walks on and jumps over the balustrade? This scene is a beauty just for watching him move.
    Oh and its totally unfair to say, he lacks elegance and that is not only my fangirl saying. Its obvious to the eye, its not true. Remember the scene from QOS after M told him, she still trusts him? When he walks on and jumps over the balustrade? This scene is a beauty just for watching him move.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    If I may say so @Germanlady, @Villiers53´s bitching is highly amusing, whereas yours is not. And with all due respect, his points are not entire unfounded.

That might be questionable, as not everybody is quite soo amused. Point I tried to make is, that he is repeating himself in the negative department, which gives ME the feeling, he wont stop until everybody agrees. Has nothing to do with whether or not his point are all or in part valid. If people find nothing positive to say about a topic, it always feels - what is really their purpose? So again, not what he says, but that he would not take "BUT I like it" by others as an anwer.

Thankfully its just about clothes...but we have had people bitching about a lot of things and that never ended well. Just saying. And now you can say, I dont stop bitching about him. True...therefore I stop now.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 260

I didn't say he was any taller, I said he was long and lean, ie slimmer. If you think the McQueen was stocky as Craig, then there really isn't anymore I can tell you.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I think the point that people are making is that McQueen is lithe, where DC is stocky. I don't think it's too difficult to grasp.

Apparently it is.

The point I was trying to make was that, in my opinion, they both wear suits well - regardless of build. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear enough for you.
    The point I was trying to make was that, in my opinion, they both wear suits well - regardless of build. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear enough for you.

And several of us disagree precisely because of their build.

It's not a terribly big deal.

Apparently it is.

Apparently you don't know what the word short means, which is really embarassing considering you are a native English speaker...
  • RC7RC7

Apparently it is.

Apparently you don't know what the word short means, which is really embarassing considering you are a native English speaker...

Anyone seen Panchito's dummy?
    I find it's best to ignore him when he starts inventing strawmen to win internet arguing.
    My point about McQueen was really to highlight the importance of bespoke.
    His big suit movie was 'The Thomas Crown Affair' where his clothes were tailored by the MountStreet legend, Dougie Haywood.
    The fit was absolutely immaculate and history has it that McQueen fell in love with the process. Many style aficionados consider the original TTCA to be the definitive clothes movie. Certainly, I love the look but of course, the styling was done with that character in mind and not Bond.
    Happily, all of this was done before product placement so you got what was right for the movie rather than what somebody is trying to sell. Persol never payed a dime to be in TTCA but their accidental involvement remains one of their biggest brand assets.
    That said, I think McQueen's greatest contribution to men's style was in his day to day life. He had an intrinsic sense of how to dress that evolved into an iconic look. He was definitely from the less is more school and never looked made up or contrived and IVNSHO his best clothes movie was actually 'Bullit'.
    Doubtless there are parallels between DC and SM but I think Steve had an élan and a way of moving that few mortals posses but even he benefited from bespoke.

As a big time Mcqueen fan, I couldn´t agree more. Very good post. And you´re right, that blazer with the turtleneck from Bullitt was the epitome of style. And don´t forget the desert boots. In a way, Craig has tried to emulate this with his jacket from QOS, the 714s, the messenger caps, the desert boots, all from his personal closet, etc... Still, he is no king of cool, as much as I like him.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Enough sniping people, let's all get on.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for Temime...!

It is very rare for a non-fantasy film set in the present to get an Oscar nomination in the Best Costume Design category. I believe the last time it happened was in 2011, when the Italian film I Am Love got an Oscar nomination for its costumes.

https://lotusjune.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/i-am-love4.jpg
    http://www.iamlovemovie.com/images/photos/photo_03.jpg
    http://www.imtheitgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/i-am-love_6.png
  • Univex wrote: »

As a big time Mcqueen fan, I couldn´t agree more. Very good post. And you´re right, that blazer with the turtleneck from Bullitt was the epitome of style. And don´t forget the desert boots. In a way, Craig has tried to emulate this with his jacket from QOS, the 714s, the messenger caps, the desert boots, all from his personal closet, etc... Still, he is no king of cool, as much as I like him.

One of the things that I find absolutely fascinating about McQueen's sense of style was his total individuality.
    When you consider his era, particularly when he was at his zenith, there were a lot of 'fashion' distractions associated with the pop culture of that time. He ignored everything that didn't suit him and really ploughed his own furrow — a true American icon and anybody who can even look great with that savage prison haircut he had in 'The Getaway'
    certainly deserves the title 'The Cooler King'.
    RIP Steve and thanks for all the great movies!
    Back to Bond, although I'm enjoying the DC reboot and am looking forward to 'SP', I principally remain a fan of early Connery and I have to say that his immaculate style was a huge part of the appeal.
    DR.No in 1962 was the first movie that made me want to buy and wear a suit and given the fact I was only nine at the time I had some difficulty persuading my mother. Fortunately a friend's wedding gave me the excuse.
    Before Irma Blunt dials in to pour some more vitriol on this thread, I would point out that all is not doom and gloom for SP style. Thus far, the ladies are looking marvellous, we may see great things from Ralph Fiennes or Christoph Waltz and who knows, DC may yet turn up in something decent albeit on what we've seen so far, I won't be holding my breath.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,982
    Two things we've learned throughout this thread are that what some see as fashionable others see as a faux pas and while some see certain opinions as enlightening others see them as obnoxious.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Univex wrote: »

One of the things that I find absolutely fascinating about McQueen's sense of style was his total individuality.
    When you consider his era, particularly when he was at his zenith, there were a lot of 'fashion' distractions associated with the pop culture of that time. He ignored everything that didn't suit him and really ploughed his own furrow — a true American icon and anybody who can even look great with that savage prison haircut he had in 'The Getaway'
    certainly deserves the title 'The Cooler King'.
    RIP Steve and thanks for all the great movies!
    Back to Bond, although I'm enjoying the DC reboot and am looking forward to 'SP', I principally remain a fan of early Connery and I have to say that his immaculate style was a huge part of the appeal.
    DR.No in 1962 was the first movie that made me want to buy and wear a suit and given the fact I was only nine at the time I had some difficulty persuading my mother. Fortunately a friend's wedding gave me the excuse.
    Before Irma Blunt dials in to pour some more vitriol on this thread, I would point out that all is not doom and gloom for SP style. Thus far, the ladies are looking marvellous, we may see great things from Ralph Fiennes or Christoph Waltz and who knows, DC may yet turn up in something decent albeit on what we've seen so far, I won't be holding my breath.

Hahah, jeez :P Let's all get along! I've got to say, although I do find your posts quite amusing, as well as informative, I have in the past taken issue with your less-than-favourable opinion of the Planet Oceans DC's been wearing!

To be honest I've never taken issue with any of the clothes DC has worn thus far into his tenure; until I came to this thread and now it's unseeable when I watch the movies, enjoyment be damned! ;)

I loved all the clothes in CR, and I quite liked the grey PTS SF suit, as well as everything I'm seeing in SP so far (IN22NSHO, of couse ;) )

• Hahah, jeez :P Let's all get along! I've got to say, although I do find your posts quite amusing, as well as informative, I have in the past taken issue with your less-than-favourable opinion of the Planet Oceans DC's been wearing!

To be honest I've never taken issue with any of the clothes DC has worn thus far into his tenure; until I came to this thread and now it's unseeable when I watch the movies, enjoyment be damned! ;)

I loved all the clothes in CR, and I quite liked the grey PTS SF suit, as well as everything I'm seeing in SP so far (IN22NSHO, of couse ;) )

@NickTwentyTwo, I recently visited a Land Rover dealer with a view to changing my car.I have a strong fancy for the new Range Rover but given the reviews for the Discovery Sport I asked the salesman to explain the advantage of the RR over the DR.
    He said a lot of stuff but at the end he looked at my watch and said; "Omega is probably a perfectly good watch but if people were honest, they'd rather have a Rolex."
    I rest my case - IVNSHO of course!

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    =)) I can tell you that if I were given the option of an PO or a more expensive Rolex, for free, I'd take the Rolex and sell it immediately to buy the PO and keep the change!

I'd be willing to believe that I'm in the minority on that one, though.
    Not necessarily
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have a PO 42mm, but sadly I have to admit that I do actually aspire to a Submariner Ceramic one day, or even better, a Daytona (love it!).

Rolex is definitely overpriced, and Omega offers better quality imo for the money, but a brand name is a brand name, and the style of those two pieces I mention above are very iconic.

Where's Vesper when you need her!