The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    For 50 + years Bond has been making errors when it comes to the dos and don't of apparel and you think a few faceless nobodies is going to facilitate a change in doing things "properly"? Nope!]

I'm curious, is giving an opinion trying to facilitate change?

Not always. Its likely I may have expressed myself better but it was a jest post anyway.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    For 50 + years Bond has been making errors when it comes to the dos and don't of apparel and you think a few faceless nobodies is going to facilitate a change in doing things "properly"? Nope!

Like it or don't like it; either way...

attachment.php?attachmentid=432835

1485.gif

You deserve a cookie.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 188
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    This is much more important than "fashion rules" - Bond should have no connection with fashion but should personify completely the understated STYLE of an international English gentleman and I don't subscribe at all to the view that a supposed professional costume designer working with a seller of over priced mass merchandise have the monopoly on taste. These pictures would prove otherwise.
    Just google "Bill Nighy wearing blue suit" and hopefully you will see the understated taste of a true Brit!

Oh, but I didn't say they had a monopoly on taste, just that they knew what they were doing and that they had decided on that look. They were given the "power", so to speak, by EoN, to create the look they thought would work best for the current Bond,and this is the look they decided upon, no doubt with a specific purpose in mind. And I dare say the purpose was probably not to give him the particular style that Bill Nighy is wearing, otherwise they would have. Maybe they wanted to set a new trend? Who are we to say they have no right to do that?

As for the "taste of a true Brit" - I dunno. I may be mistaken but I would think that Brits are as different from each other as people everywhere in the world. Elton John is a true Brit, just as Prince Charles is, or Russell Brand, or Colin Firth, and they all have very different styles. Not sure that there is one true style for one true Brit.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I'm starting to think people should have to submit pictures of themselves in a suit (or other stylish clothes they like) are a perquisite for opining on this topic whether positive or negative ;)

Problem is, very often that is exactly the deal. Can't say, I am totally free of it. Shouldn't be the case though. What else can be annoying is, that both sides go on and on, force and back and there is no end. Agree to disagree seems like a nice way to end it.

As a "True Brit", I say, IMHO, that he looks great in those Roman photos, both in the long overcoat and in the 3 piece suit!
    For 50 + years Bond has been making errors when it comes to the dos and don't of apparel and you think a few faceless nobodies is going to facilitate a change in doing things "properly"? Nope!

Again, I think people are confusing two concepts. Doing things exactly to some esoteric "rules" is not being advocated but by maybe one or two people. And honestly that should not be the goal for anyone no matter how much you read it on inane clothing fora where people think there was some point in history where everyone did everything exactly the same and that those "rules" are to be perpetuated ad infinitum. This is just a fallacy and was never the case, for Bond or for normal people. Small touches are what Fleming wrote in to Bonds character, and that's the general direction most would probably like to see. But it's an opinion, and to each their own.

However questioning the aesthetic value of what he is doing and whether the clothes materially fit are separate. They fit better this time than last, but are still tight. That isn't opinion or a matter of style, but just objective fact. They can be cut very shaped and tight and still fit.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,989
    Germanlady wrote: »

Problem is, very often that is exactly the deal. Can't say, I am totally free of it. Shouldn't be the case though. What else can be annoying is, that both sides go on and on, force and back and there is no end. Agree to disagree seems like a nice way to end it.

The original post was in jest. I took it as meaning that some here thought that their opinions would inspire a change of direction, in this case fashion, by the filmmakers.

Sark wrote: »
    I'm starting to think people should have to submit pictures of themselves in a suit (or other stylish clothes they like) are a perquisite for opining on this topic whether positive or negative ;)

There's a lot of discussion about how many menswear guru's are "Do as I say, not as I do" types, so that may not work out.

Alan Flusser a good example, looks like a trainwreck half the time!
    doghouse wrote: »

Again, I think people are confusing two concepts. Doing things exactly to some esoteric "rules" is not being advocated but by maybe one or two people. And honestly that should not be the goal for anyone no matter how much you read it on inane clothing fora where people think there was some point in history where everyone did everything exactly the same and that those "rules" are to be perpetuated ad infinitum. This is just a fallacy and was never the case, for Bond or for normal people. Small touches are what Fleming wrote in to Bonds character, and that's the general direction most would probably like to see. But it's an opinion, and to each their own.

However questioning the aesthetic value of what he is doing and whether the clothes materially fit are separate. They fit better this time than last, but are still tight. That isn't opinion or a matter of style, but just objective fact. They can be cut very shaped and tight and still fit.

That's all well and good and I agree but I just find it amusing the lengths some people go through in chastising the production team with craig's outfits. This isn't the banana ski suit. Furthermore, I thought Craig's suits in CR, especially the suits he wears in Montenegro were horrible. Oversized and din't compliment his body; the suit was wearing him but its not something I spend a great deal of time moaning about. At the end of the day, from Dr.No up till now, Bond has never done things by the customary book. The movies aren't the novels no matter how far removed or close they adhere to Fleming's work. As long as Bond looks good, which imo Craig is looking great, then just sit back and enjoy; that's all really.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    At the end of the day imo this comes down to taste, which is very personal.

It also comes down to our opinion of how Bond should dress, in the context of the books and 50+ years of movies.

I'm willing to give EON the benefit of the doubt, but I have not been that impressed of late in the suit cuts (particularly in SF). I personally believe they could have done a better job there. Additionally, I did not like the tab collar in SF, and would have preferred a spread collar for Craig's Bond.

I haven't seen enough of SP's wardrobe to really comment, but I'm not that happy with the suit I've just seen on here (my criticisms echo those of others). I am personally of the view that Bond should dress in a conservative British style......and I'd prefer his look be timeless rather than contemporary. I don't see that here so far. That's just me however.

I saw more of the timeless look that I advocate in Kingsman, and I liked it.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking for John Steed. More Connery or Lazenby. Or Moore pre-TSWLM and not post (where he suffered from the 70's look due to the timing of his movies) or Brosnan (trying too hard with the very delicate fabrics & European cuts.....as well as too many 3 button suits).
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 6,601
    So I guess, its a bit about limeless or not. I never occured to me, that Bond was anything other then a fashionable man for the time he lives in (the movie plays). So yes, fashion can be timeless or up to date, rather a spur of the moment ( and playing around with that a bit) . One thing for sure, if he was dressed "timeless" some would complain, how boring and old fashioned that is.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    So I guess, its a bit about limeless or not. I never occured to me, that Bond was anything other then a fashionable man for the time he lives in (the movie plays). So yes, fashion can be timeless or up to date, rather a spur of the moment ( and playing around with that a bit) . One thing for sure, if he was dressed "timeless" some would complain, how boring and old fashioned that is.

That's very true, and that's why it's a delicate balance. I think they got the look right in SF, but not the suit cuts, which were a bit too tight (but nevertheless, quite contemporary no doubt).

Personally, I find it unfortunate that in the Kingsman they refer to Oxfords not Brogues, and here we have Bond wearing neither, but some fashionable (Italian no doubt) boot with a suit.
    But Bond may be trying to fit in with the Italians at the cemetery, rather than being overly British.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    But Bond may be trying to fit in with the Italians at the cemetery, rather than being overly British.

That is a very good point. Or just being respectful of contemporary Italian style.

bondjames wrote: »
    At the end of the day imo this comes down to taste, which is very personal.

I am personally of the view that Bond should dress in a conservative British style......and I'd prefer his look be timeless rather than contemporary. I don't see that here so far. That's just me however.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking for John Steed. More Connery or Lazenby. Or Moore pre-TSWLM and not post (where he suffered from the 70's look due to the timing of his movies) or Brosnan (trying too hard with the very delicate fabrics & European cuts.....as well as too many 3 button suits).

sean-connery-as-james-bond-in-dr-no-1963.jpg
    frwl5-main1.jpg?w=343&h=415
    618w_james_bond_in_pictures_2.jpg

You sure? I can't say I'm a fan. Those suits/jackets somehow seem too big - as if he's hiding a little beer belly or something. They may be "classic", but are they really timeless? Would people still wear these kinds of cuts and colors today?
    In any case, they are certainly not as flattereing as some of the things Craig has been wearing.

So you can accuse me of having no taste or understanding of what connstitutes proper gentlemen's attire, but I take the more form-fitting suits any day. They seem to stress Craig's physicality much better.

(Also, they show off the perfectly formed arse - I noticed.)
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    You should be glad Temime is the costume designer.
    Bond makes fashion, he doesn't suffer it.
    Otherwise you could see something like this:
    milangvfq34.jpg
    or this
    fun3.jpg
    I almost threw up.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    If he had white hair he'd be Karl Lagerfeld in this outfit.

How right you are.
    Sorry fellow agents but 007 is supposed to be a red blooded hetro sexual.
    If eon want to do a different type of franchise extension they should reserve this type of attire for that.
    Thankfully DC is a great actor and will hopefully win through and maybe one of our pundits is correct and we have nothing to worry about - he is dressing to be undercover at a gay funeral!

RC7 wrote: »

How right you are.
    I really don't see what point you're trying to make here. Bond's outfit doesn't make him any less "Hetro sexual", I find that comment baffling.
    If eon want to do a different type of franchise extension they should reserve this type of attire for that.
    Thankfully DC is a great actor and will hopefully win through and maybe one of our pundits is correct and we have nothing to worry about - he is dressing to be undercover at a gay funeral!
    I just find that homophobic and offensive and completely nonsensical.

How right you are.

Seriously? You are making this about sexuality? I guess homophobes always find a way to work their hatred into a conversation.
    I think @Villiers53 was purely responding to comments about suits showcasing perfectly formed arses (not my priority for a suit) & Lagerfeld.

Bond's preferences were intentionally left open ended in SF ;)
    How right you are.

[/quote]

Well, I am a "red blooded hetro sexual" and have to ask, what the hell are you talking about?

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    I love Bond's outfit in the Aston Martin. I think the waistcoat is very stylish and the suit is not very tight, that I like. I also love the coat that he wears at the funeral. Monica looks stunning at the funeral scenes.

Though, my favourite Craig look so far is the Austria look.
  • AVBAVB
    Does anyone know what boots Craig is wearing in these funeral scenes? I have a very similar, yet undoubtedley far cheaper, pair. I'm surprised to see Bond wearing such a boot.

IMO the outfit itself, whilst looking great, is very 'overdone'. Something about it is just too much. I also prefer my Bond understated. Sometimes Craig's Bond looks a bit too metro and fashion magazine-y.
    This is going to be a big, bold, somewhat over the top Bond in the mold of Thunderball; the wardrobe reflects it.
    This is going to be a big, bold, somewhat over the top Bond in the mold of Thunderball; the wardrobe reflects it.

Agreed. I've been saying for some time that this will be Craig's Thunderball. It's inevitable, as his arc seems to be following Connery's, with SF being his GF.

All actors who have made it to #4 have had an over the top entry, and he is unlikely to be an exception.

• RC7RC7

The words big, bold and over the top should never be ascribed to Bond's sense of dress. The world around him may flit between reality and fantasy to varying degrees, but Bond remains the same at the core.

The words big, bold and over the top should never be ascribed to Bond's sense of dress. The world around him may flit between reality and fantasy to varying degrees, but Bond remains the same at the core.

Well, yes that is one opinion.

AVB wrote: »
    Does anyone know what boots Craig is wearing in these funeral scenes? I have a very similar, yet undoubtedley far cheaper, pair. I'm surprised to see Bond wearing such a boot.

IMO the outfit itself, whilst looking great, is very 'overdone'. Something about it is just too much. I also prefer my Bond understated. Sometimes Craig's Bond looks a bit too metro and fashion magazine-y.

Crockett & Jones Camberly